Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

They should have just cut the (5) in Brooklyn entirely and slightly reduce the frequencies on the (2), (3) and (4) to avoid probable congestion/switch problems at Atlantic Av and Franklin Av as well as all the originating/terminating that they're doing right now.

Now it states delays on the (2)(3)(4)(5) ongoing.

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Service Change  Posted: 03/25/2015  4:21PM

Due to a rail condition at Franklin Av, the following service changes are in effect:

Some southbound 2.png and 3.png trains are running express from Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr to Franklin Av.

Some southbound 2.png and 3.png trains terminate at  Eastern Pkwy-Brooklyn Museum.

Some southbound 2.png trains terminate at Times Square-42 St.

Some southbound 3.png trains terminate at Chambers St.

Some southbound 4.png and 5.png trains terminate at Bowling Green.

2.png, 3.png, 4.png and 5.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

Allow additional travel time.

This is a huge mess!

Yeah, this was a disaster. 

I'll leave the story of my commute in spoiler tags to save space

-       Waiting to get on the 6 at 23 St

-       6 train skips the station, understandable, since delays happen

-       Get on a 4 going to Utica at 14 St

-       Ahead of us is a 5 going to Bowling Green (this was a normally scheduled 5 to Bowling Green)

-       Pretty much limping from Brooklyn Bridge to Bowling Green while that 5 train takes its sweet time fumigating

-       Go at normal speed from Bowling Green to around Nevins St, but the train is awfully crowded because the train ahead of it wasn’t going to Brooklyn

-       At Nevins St, get delayed again because of the aforementioned 2 and 3 trains running on the express track.

-       Eventually make it to Franklin Av, only took ~37 minutes from 14 St

-       Get off, wait for a train going to Flatbush

-       A 3 train comes in on the local track and discharges all its passengers; apparently this was the problem train

-       Platform is pretty crowded now

-       4 train I was on leaves

-       5 to Utica comes in, but it’s extended to New Lots Av, making local stops (most of the people on the platform seemed not to notice, which was good because all the 3 train passengers couldn’t have fit on that train anyway)

-       Another 4 to Utica comes in, and leaves

-       Another 5 going to Utica comes in, but it’s rerouted to Flatbush Av so I get on.

-       All this time, the 3 train is still sitting on the local track, empty

-       Ending up taking me about an hour exactly to go from 14 St to Franklin Av (about 37 on the 4 train from 14 St to Franklin Av, about 10 mins waiting at Franklin Av, and 13 mins going from Franklin to Flatbush on the 5)

Edited by Mysterious2train

MTA Service Status

Service Change  Posted: 03/27/2015  7:36PM 

Due to a sick customer at 5 Av-53 St, the following service changes are in effect:

Southbound e.png trains are running on the f.png line from 36 St (QNS) to 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr.

Southbound m.png trains are running on the f.png line from Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av to W 4 St-Washington Sq.

------------------------------

Almost.

EDIT: Seems to be resolved already.
Edited by Mysterious2train

Delays  Posted: 04/06/2015 10:32AM 

Due to a train with mechanical problems at Grand Central-42 St7.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

The Lexington Avenue line must be one hot mess right now:

Service Change  Posted: 04/06/2015 11:42AM 

Due to a train with mechanical problems at 86 St, southbound 5.png trains are running local from 125 St to Grand Central-42 St.

Delays  Posted: 04/06/2015 11:34AM 

Due to a train with mechanical problems at Bedford Park Blvd-Lehman College, southbound 4.png trains are running with delays.

Service Change  Posted: 04/06/2015 11:03AM 

Due to signal problems at Nevins St, the following service changes are in effect:

Some southbound 5.png trains are running on the 2.png line from 149 St-Grand Concourse to Nevins St.

Some southbound 4.png trains are terminating at 149 St-Grand Concourse and Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall.

2.png3.png4.png and 5.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

Service Change  Posted: 04/06/2015 10:07AM 

Due to signal problems at 174 St, southbound 5.png trains are running local from E 180 St to 149 St-Grand Concourse.

MTA wrote tonight that 2 and 3 was delayed because of signal problems at Fulton.I was there at 6:55.MTA Site still indicatied Delays but everything seemed fine.Do the people writing these emails get notifications when signal problems end?

The Nostolgia train left on time? Some 4's scheduled to get to Grand Central were late.So I'm wondering if the Nostolgia was also late

That's too bad.I could have made it. Was it packed? Edited by Abba

MTA wrote tonight that 2 and 3 was delayed because of signal problems at Fulton.I was there at 6:55.MTA Site still indicatied Delays but everything seemed fine.Do the people writing these emails get notifications when signal problems end?

That's too bad.I could have made it. Was it packed?

It was crush loaded! I was one of the lucky 7 or 8 who got close enough to the RFW! I had to constantly switch my hand because I had to hold my camera over a few people's heads in order to take a video. I kept feeling a burn in my arm!

At 161 St after the trip, there was a magnificent photo opportunity! There was a Track Geometry car that came going down the Jerome Avenue Line toward Manhattan and me and many others were able to take a picture of it with the Low - Vs!

Service Change   Posted: 04/07/2015  6:48PM  

Due to a train with mechanical problems at 23 St, southbound f.png and Metropolitan Av bound m.png trains are running express from 34 St-Herald Sq to W 4 St-Washington Sq

Service Change  Posted: 04/08/2015 10:03PM
Due to a water condition at 14 St, the following service changes are in effect:

There is no 1.png, 2.png and 3.png train service between Chambers St and Times Square-42 St in both directions.

Some 2.png trains are running on the 5.png line from Nevins St to 149 St-Grand Concourse in both directions.

1.png, 2.png and 3.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

As an alternative for travel between Times Sq-42 St and 14 St, customers are advised to take the n.png, q.png and r.png train service.

As an alternative for travel between the Upper West Side and Lower Manhattan, customers are advised to take the a.png or c.png.

Shuttle bus service is running between South Ferry and Chambers St in both directions.

I wonder why they couldn't extend the shuttle bus slightly to 14th street to give customers connection to the (L)

Service Change  Posted: 04/08/2015 10:03PM

There is no 1.png, 2.png and 3.png train service between Chambers St and Times Square-42 St in both directions.

Some 2.png trains are running on the 5.png line from Nevins St to 149 St-Grand Concourse in both directions.

As an alternative for travel between Times Sq-42 St and 14 St, customers are advised to take the n.png, q.png and r.png train service.

As an alternative for travel between the Upper West Side and Lower Manhattan, customers are advised to take the a.png or c.png.

Shuttle bus service is running between South Ferry and Chambers St in both directions.

I wonder why they couldn't extend the shuttle bus slightly to 14th street to give customers connection to the (L)

Also the (A)(C) might be packed due to the issue and the fastrack which is knocking the (E) service into Manhattan.

Something ridiculous happenend tonight.there was a (4) train conga line to Utica all the way back to just before Franklin.Thats Crazy! I want to know why they couldn't

1.Send some trains to Flatbush since there was very limited service there anyway.

2.Send some to new lots, since there was Probobaly limited service there too.

3The last train I was on was the last regularly scheduled train to Utica on the express track.instead of stopping 4 times in the tunnel before Utica just hold the train at Franklin till the whole conga line clears up.Why make people suffer in the tunnel.At least if is at Franklin people have the option to take a cab or something.

Something has to be done about Utica Dispatch.Too slow to relay trains.

Southbound 1.png, 2.png and 3.png trains terminate at Times Sq-42 St.

Nortbound 2.png and 3.png trains terminate at Chambers St.

There is 1.png shuttle train service between South Ferry and Chamber St.

Shuttle bus shuttle_bus.png service is running between Times Sq-42 St and Chambers St in both directions.

Interesting with the shuttle bus route going north of 14th street.

Something ridiculous happenend tonight.there was a (4) train conga line to Utica all the way back to just before Franklin.Thats Crazy! I want to know why they couldn't

1.Send some trains to Flatbush since there was very limited service there anyway.

3The last train I was on was the last regularly scheduled train to Utica on the express track.instead of stopping 4 times in the tunnel before Utica just hold the train at Franklin till the whole conga line clears up.Why make people suffer in the tunnel.At least if is at Franklin people have the option to take a cab or something.

Must have been something pretty bad going on if there's still a conga line at 9:45 PM in the evening.

I'm going to take a guess, based on experience, and try to answer your questions.

1 Because of the limited service due to the water main break there were probably too many (2) trains and crews at Flatbush already.

2 Same reason as #1, too many (3) trains out there

3 There are people at Utica Avenue that are assigned to relay specific interval arrivals. When it gets later in the evening (after 8-8:30 pm) these people go off duty so unless someone way up in supervision authorizes O.T. payments for the relay people you end up with the conga line from Franklin to Utica. If the crew(s) operating those last (4) trains to Utica Avenue are finishing crews, are scheduled for lunch, or have another trip back to Woodlawn from New Lots Avenue whom is going to relay those trains? Unless things have changed drastically I can assure you that the people from Operations and Planning and those from budget are only going to have a minimum workforce on duty whenever possible. If a local supervisor would try to order someone other than the person assigned to relay said train my fellow RTO people at Utica Avenue know 2 words that negate said order. Because of the layout of the station the magic words are "comfort relief".

BTW if your (4) train was held at Franklin Avenue 'til the conga line cleared up what would you say to the people on the (4) trains behind you? Carry on.