Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

Well, when Phase II goes under way there HAS to be a connection between the (F) and the uptown (T) / downtown (T).

But they should start now to make tail tracks beneath 63 Street on the (T) line so that it dosent bother them later and (Q) service wouldn't have to be disrupted in 2019.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, when Phase II goes under way there HAS to be a connection between the (F) and the uptown (T) / downtown (T).

But they should start now to make tail tracks beneath 63 Street on the (T) line so that it dosent bother them later and (Q) service wouldn't have to be disrupted in 2019.

Phase Ⅱ deals with everything above 96 Street, so anything from 96 Street and down won't be touched. Besides, where would a Queens connection run to? There's no tunnel along 2 Avenue south of the bell mouth from 63 Street, and the MTA would basically have to move its tunnel boring machines from 125 Street to bore additional tunnel from 70-ish Street down to 55 Street to make space for trains coming from Queens. About 3 street blocks from 62 Street going down 2 Avenue would have to be excavated to form a cavern for the switches between 2 Avenue and 63 Street. This alone would definitely add significant cost to the project, and with the nearest ventilation plant quite a distance away, the MTA would have to find money to acquire property for installation of another ventilation plant for 55 Street. Who knows if there will be a station down there, but if there is then it will be a useless stub terminal leeching service from 6 Avenue and Broadway.

You must be talking about Phase Ⅲ.

Edited by CenSin

Yes I meant Phase III

Whether the MTA will make such a connection or whine about lack of funds is up in the air when comes the time to build below 63 Street. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to procrastinate and put it off due to lack of funds. If they do that, you can bet that connection will never materialize in the future.

There is no 103 St station. There is a 106 St station, which the tail tracks will be built up to.

Track maps of Phase I can be found by looking through the project website.

There are no tracks being built south of 63 St as far as I am aware of.

You mean they updated their track maps and have it somewhere on the site?The ones I know of were from YEARS ago.

Do you know the link to the maps of do I have to scavenge the site a bit?

You mean they updated their track maps and have it somewhere on the site?The ones I know of were from YEARS ago.

Do you know the link to the maps of do I have to scavenge the site a bit?

I think the only change is the fact that the third track got shelved for a simpler, less flexible junction and a single island platform at 72 Street. Those switches south of 96 Street will still be there, and the stub tracks are nothing special.

At the very most, the tracks will reach 105 Street. They will not reach 106 Street proper as the tracks would get in the way of station construction.

The track alignment changes for 72 Street are described clearly here.

There is no mention of changes to the track layout anywhere else which will remain as described here.

Edited by CenSin

Not exactly, I mean between the (Q) and the (T) respectively.

What I mean is, the (Q) tracks that break apart from the (T) at 63 Street need to be duplicated at the bottom so (T) trains can have access to the (Q) route if something happens at 96 Street.

And where is the yard for the (T) exactly?

What I mean is, the (Q) tracks that break apart from the (T) at 63 Street need to be duplicated at the bottom so (T) trains can have access to the (Q) route if something happens at 96 Street.

Draw a track map. Your words aren't conveying your ideas properly.

What's this renovated station they are doing?

It is Lex-63rd St. It was originally planned to be an island platform, but that plan has been aborted and became a two level side platform with a wall. No one knew there was a track on the other side of the wall. When they started the SAS project, they removed the walls and making it a clean island platform with service on both sides and both levels.

The SAS yard will not be available until Phase II, because it's at 129th St. The (T) will not run until Phase 3 is completed.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about (a connection from south to west), that would just be a giant waste of money.

The SAS yard will not be available until Phase II, because it's at 129th St. The (T) will not run until Phase 3 is completed.

And logically (as explained numerous times before), it wouldn't make sense to run it, because then it'd just be a super-short (Q) route. If a train makes the same exact stops but is simply a cut version of another line, it doesn't get a separate letter. Even the (5), which has 4 different terminals is designated using 1 number.

A rose by any other name, with a few petals less, with the thorns removed, would smell just as sweet.

According to the FEIS, trains would possibly be maintained at Coney Island Yard, but they'd be stored in several different places, such as:

- Tail tracks on 125 St between Park Av and 5 Av

- Tail tracks on 2 Av between 125 St and 129 St

- 2 extra storage tracks that will run next to the main tracks from 21 St to 9 St

- Tail tracks beyond Hanover Square station

- The 36-38th St Yard (the small yard near between 36 St and 9 Av stations on the (D) line)

The  (B) might have to be moved to Concourse Yard or 207 St Yard to make room for the (T).

Sauce: http://web.mta.info/capital/sas_docs/feis/chapter02.pdf (page 25)

(Keep in mind, nothing's set in stone yet)

Edited by Mysterious2train

• 3 weeks later...

There is a cause folks can rally around to get the subway extended further. Mayor DeBlasio can raise a stink about racism and then push for funds to extend the subway up to 125 Street. I believe one issue raised during the construction of the 96 Street station was that the entrances were on the rich side of the street or south; no entrances were planned for East Harlem proper.