Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

..."Due to unforeseen circumstances, it is very likely that Phase 1 of the Second Avenue Subway will open a few months later than expected."

..."Due to fire alarm issues, the projected opening date of Phase 1 of the Second Avenue Subway has been postponed by two months."

etc.

it would be nice if it could open early like winter 2016

jan 2016

The projected opening date is December 2016.

Work on 72/86/96 St stations won't be finished until Fall 2016, according to the MTA.

Here's the status of all 10 contracts for Phase 1 as of last month:

- Tunnel Boring Machine Tunneling - 100% done

- 86th St Excavation, Utility Relocation, and Road Decking - 100% done

- 96th St Site Work and Heavy Civil - 100% done

- 72nd St Cavern Mining, Tunnels and Heavy Civil - 100% done

- 86th St Cavern Mining & Heavy Civil - 100% done

- 96th St Station Finishes, Systems, Ancillary Buildings and Entrances - 67% 

- 86th St Station Finishes, Systems, Ancillary Buildings and Entrances - 35%

- 72nd Station Finishes, Systems, Ancillary Buildings and Entrances - 55.8%

- Lexington Av-63 St Station Upgrade - 88%

- Track, Power, Signals & Communications Systems - 50.7%

Average together all 10 percentages and that's where the 80something number comes from. You can see that work on 86th St is coming along pretty slowly. If the work continues at its current pace the station won't even be finished by Fall 2016, but Michael Horodniceanu (president of MTA Capital Construction) said that the MTA has instituted a second shift to speed up work. 

Edited by Mysterious2train

With the amount of whining and grumbling that Williamsburg emits every time the (L) gets shut down for repairs, I wonder if the Upper East Side will be the same. If reliability and speed proves higher due to new construction techniques, they might not have to worry about too many shutdowns. The tunnels are also physically separated, so single-tracking can happen at full speed without flagging.

With the amount of whining and grumbling that Williamsburg emits every time the (L) gets shut down for repairs, I wonder if the Upper East Side will be the same. If reliability and speed proves higher due to new construction techniques, they might not have to worry about too many shutdowns. The tunnels are also physically separated, so single-tracking can happen at full speed without flagging.

There shouldn't be any sort of need for GOs on the weekend, since signal replacement, repainting, etc. should not really be necessary anytime soon. The Broadway Line is pretty far back in terms of CBTC scheduling.

Thanks for the stats. Earlier I read some of the capital documents and it said that 86 St's station + finishes was about 3-6 months behind schedule though, so...

86th was also the last to actually start due to, among other reasons, litigation from Yorkshire Towers, so it makes sense that it's also the slowest one. Worst comes to worse, if it's just the physical station itself that needs to finish up, the extension can hopefully be opened with trains skipping 86th.

PHOTOS: No Rats, No Pillars, No People in This Peek at the 2nd Ave. Subway

Far below street level, carved out of the dense metamorphic bedrock known as Manhattan schist, the city's newest subway line is taking shape. This [Lexington Av-63 St] is the third deepest station that we have in the system," says the president of MTA capital construction, Michael Horodniceanu. "The lower level is 134 feet down." The tunneling work from 63rd to 96th streets is done. The three new stations are large and cavernous, like Washington  D.C. Metro stations. They lack columns. They have mezzanine levels. And when you stand on the platform and look  through the tunnels, they look like giant owl eyes.  

Horodniceanu said children often come to the Second Avenue Subway's Community Information Center and ask questions. Staff kept trying to explain the size of the project to them, but the kids were struggling to visualize it . "So one of the guys here figured out how many elephants could fit in the (72nd Street) cavern," he said, "and the children then got it." How many elephants would fit? "Fifty-five thousand." The project is now 82 percent complete. Now, says Horodniceanu, comes the hard part.

"I'm not going to kid myself," he said. "This is the toughest 18 percent, because these are the finishes and the systems." Fire control and ventilation systems have to be rigorously  tested. The new signal relay rooms have to be wired perfectly in order to communicate with MTA's control rooms elsewhere in the system. It's an especially delicate job, because the original subway system is over 110 years old. "We have to marry brand new technology with technology that may not be exactly at the same pace," says Horodniceanu. When asked how confident he is that the line would open by next December, Horodniceanu ballparked it at 75 to 80 percent. But an electrical worker who gave his name as Brian was much more confident. "I'm not worried. I'm not worried," Brian said. "We'll get it done. We always come through."

http://www.wnyc.org/story/second-avenue-subway/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TransportationNation+%28Transportation+Nation%29

Pictures at the link. The article also says that the new font used on the wall tiles at Lexington Av-63 St was just a test font and will be replaced with something "more in line with the rest of the subway system."

MTA also posted several photos last week on its Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos/sets/72157652814565728/

LMAO:

There is very little realism in this simulator. For example, the switches that are supposed to be south of 96 Street and north of 72 Street don’t exist.

Found it here: http://www.mta.info/news-second-avenue-subway/2015/05/28/new-subway-train-simulator-unveiled-community-information

It also makes the stations look horribly generic and dimly lit. And the presence of what I assume to be R211s makes it seem like Phase 1 will be delayed by 5-10 years.

http://www.wnyc.org/story/second-avenue-subway/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TransportationNation+%28Transportation+Nation%29

Pictures at the link. The article also says that the new font used on the wall tiles at Lexington Av-63 St was just a test font and will be replaced with something "more in line with the rest of the subway system."

MTA also posted several photos last week on its Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos/sets/72157652814565728/

Does this mean they will replace the tiles already at Lex/63 or will use a different font for future tiles? It would be a shame if they are going to replace the current ones because I actually like that font/style that's there.

Does this mean they will replace the tiles already at Lex/63 or will use a different font for future tiles? It would be a shame if they are going to replace the current ones because I actually like that font/style that's there.

Ultimately, the tiles have to be very easy to read at a very quick glance. Scrunched Helvetica is not so good for legibility purposes.

Are the stations part of Arts for Transit? Because right now they're very bland.

Even what some consider bland can be art. I personally like it. It's simple, but different enough in the font to be distinguishable from South Ferry. This will likely be the look of the future. Unless someone thinks about installing easily removable tiles that can be switched out with giant pieces of more complex art.

If only it was possible, by large chance, to create a subway looking splatter painting in the style of Jackson Pollock. A man can dream...

Oooooooooh, or a splatter painting using the colors of the subway map.

...I don't know why the thought of that last sentence made me so happy.

Ultimately, the tiles have to be very easy to read at a very quick glance. Scrunched Helvetica is not so good for legibility purposes.

Are the stations part of Arts for Transit? Because right now they're very bland.

The mezzanines are going to have artwork.

Gothamist has an article with some renderings of the different artworks 

http://gothamist.com/2014/01/22/heres_what_the_second_avenue_subway.php#photo-1

Here's another rendering of the 86 St artwork: http://web.mta.info/capital/sas_pdf/CB8%20SAS%20Task%20Force%20meeting%20Draft%20JORM_2015Jan22.pdf#page=23

Couldn't find a rendering of the artwork at 72nd St.

Even what some consider bland can be art. I personally like it. It's simple, but different enough in the font to be distinguishable from South Ferry. This will likely be the look of the future. Unless someone thinks about installing easily removable tiles that can be switched out with giant pieces of more complex art.

If only it was possible, by large chance, to create a subway looking splatter painting in the style of Jackson Pollock. A man can dream...

Oooooooooh, or a splatter painting using the colors of the subway map.

...I don't know why the thought of that last sentence made me so happy.

Munich uses interchangeable, power-washable tiles for its art.

2217818564_d577f6925a_b.jpg