Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

Everybody is getting way ahead of themselves. I mean were still on Phase I people! Phase 2 is 50% unlikely to happen if the (MTA) doesn't change their game. If this continues, we won't even SEE the (T) in our lifetime, OR the expansion to Bronx over the next century.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everybody is getting way ahead of themselves. I mean were still on Phase I people! Phase 2 is 50% unlikely to happen if the (MTA) doesn't change their game. If this continues, we won't even SEE the (T) in our lifetime, OR the expansion to Bronx over the next century.

True, but if for instance Columbia were to push for Phase 2 to extend all the way across 125th Street so it reaches their expanded campus (as it would open it up for those who live on the upper east side to more easily reach Columbia without having to back down to Grand Central and take the shuttle to the (1) back up to 116/125 OR a crosstown bus to the (1) ), then I think we'd at least see Phase 2, possibly in extended form to 12th Avenue-Broadway.

Edited by Wallyhorse

Maybe, but especially with Columbia's expansion going all the way across 125th Street makes a lot of sense, especially if it allows for transfers to ALL of the other lines across 125 AND provides a connection to the 8th Avenue line that would mainly be used for G.O.s/special event trains.

True, but if for instance Columbia were to push for Phase 2 to extend all the way across 125th Street so it reaches their expanded campus (as it would open it up for those who live on the upper east side to more easily reach Columbia without having to back down to Grand Central and take the shuttle to the (1) back up to 116/125 OR a crosstown bus to the (1) ), then I think we'd at least see Phase 2, possibly in extended form to 12th Avenue-Broadway.

Why are you bringing Colombia up again? Columbia's influence is about as strong as a mosquito's influence on your day-to-day plans.

Why are you bringing Colombia up again? Columbia's influence is about as strong as a mosquito's influence on your day-to-day plans.

As one who has lived around universities most of his adult life, I will say that Universities can have that level of influence.  That's why I say what I do.

As one who has lived around universities most of his adult life, I will say that Universities can have that level of influence.  That's why I say what I do.

Universities can have that level of influence in smaller cities, but we are literally talking about the biggest urban area in the United States. Unless Columbia is going to put up a good billion or two, they are not going to be able to encourage a subway extension, of all things. In fact, I would say their influence is negligible, given that Columbia has more important things to care about, and university bureaucracy tends to be slow-moving and self-absorbed.

As one who has lived around universities most of his adult life, I will say that Universities can have that level of influence. That's why I say what I do.

Unless Columbia University is gonna personally foot the bill for it to go across 125 St (which isn't even part of the SAS plan at all), it's not gonna happen.

• 2 weeks later...

http://nypost.com/2015/04/06/whistleblower-prompts-probe-of-second-avenue-subway/

A former apprentice working for Celtic Sheet Metal, a subcontractor for the project, claims that this subcontractor scammed the contractor  E.E. Cruz and Tully out of money. 

A Second Avenue Subway subcontractor filled its job site with cheap apprentices, then billed at a much steeper rate, a former worker charges.

“There’s a common saying down there — the MTA is the ATM. You get money if you’re standing,” disgusted whistleblower Alexander Maack told The Post about contractors’ attitudes toward big projects. “Just show up for the day and you make the boss a profit.”

The MTA Inspector General’s Office confirmed that it is investigating the allegation.

Maack, 42, said he began working for Celtic Sheet Metal — which subcontracts for city contractors E.E. Cruz and Tully on the $4.45 billion Second Avenue Subway project — at the 86th Street site in November as part of an apprenticeship.

Maack said a foreman pressured him to present himself as a mechanic to an outside construction manager — even though he was still a student at the Nicholas Maldarelli Training Center.

A first-year apprentice makes $34.19 an hour, but a mechanic makes a staggering $94.11 an hour — a difference of $60 an hour per worker. He alleges that his company billed the contractors E.E. Cruz and Tully the higher rate.

“An apprentice is someone who is just beginning out,” Maack explained. “They’re supposed to gain a skill set by working with their hands and learning a craft. A mechanic is at the highest level. They know much more than you.”

Maack, who received an apprentice paycheck from Celtic Sheet Metal, said he was able to avoid lying by telling the construction manager to ask the foreman what his title was.

But the situation escalated when his supervisor tried to bully him to lie again to a Department of Labor rep in January, he said.

“I went to pull out my paycheck. When I pulled it out, my foreman freaked out and said, ‘He’s only playing’ — and told me to go upstairs immediately,” Maack said.

Maack said he was banished for the rest of the day to a shanty where workers change their clothes — and transferred to a non-MTA site the next day.

He worked at Brookfield Place downtown until the end of March.

“Day one on a new job, you have to introduce yourself to the foreman,” Maack said.

The higher-up immediately told him, “ ‘Nobody wants to hear your s- –,’ and, “Keep your nose down and your mouth shut. Start talking and you’ll be on your a–, out of the job,’ ” Maack said.

Maack fumed for weeks — and said he was pulled off the site in March when he angrily told Celtic he would tell authorities about them.

He reported the subcontractor to the MTA inspector general last week.

Spokesman Michael Boxer confirmed that his agency was looking into the matter.

The MTA said it was assisting the probe.

“These allegations would not impact us financially because we pay the general contractor, E.E. Cruz and Tully, a lump sum,” the MTA said in a statement. “However, we want to be sure that the quality of the work promised is what we’re getting.”

Straphangers’ advocate Andrew Albert said if the contractor is being cheated by the subcontractor, it could harm the work being done.

“The risk to the MTA and its riders is that because the contractor is not getting their money’s worth from the subcontractor, somewhere in the process somebody will try and make it up with shoddy materials, or we will end up with a job that’s not up to industry standards,” said Albert, of the Transit Riders Council.

“Another possibility is that the job ends up costing the MTA more money, especially if the contractor comes back to the MTA asking for additional appropriation.”

Celtic Sheet Metal said they will cooperate with the MTA I.G.

“These are false allegations,” said their lawyer, Gerard Brady. “We reject all of these claims.”

Additional reporting by Natalie Musumesci

Is that really surprising?

No wonder the costs of these are way higher than they often should be.  Unless there can be a major clamp-down on such it will always be the case.  :(

I shake my head every time I ride a train past track work and 25% of them are sitting down on the third rail cover or doing something that looks like a long break. Maybe they're not doing anything because my train is in the way, but it always looks suspiciously like money not well-spent.

I shake my head every time I ride a train past track work and 25% of them are sitting down on the third rail cover or doing something that looks like a long break. Maybe they're not doing anything because my train is in the way, but it always looks suspiciously like money not well-spent.

I have to agree with you on that, some people only do great work when the boss is around.

But I have a question, when the (Q) splits away from the (T) at 72 Street, won't that cause delays since the both lines will have the same TPH?

As of current plans, the (T) will only share tracks with the (Q). Therefore, it is not difficult to time trains to have no conflicts, since you can set a (T) train midway between (Q) trains. The merge conflict is only in one direction as well (doing downtown from 72nd, there is no conflict), which makes it all the more simple.

I have to agree with you on that, some people only do great work when the boss is around.

And sometimes, the boss is also complicit in lazing around encouraging their workers to work less.

But I have a question, when the (Q) splits away from the (T) at 72 Street, won't that cause delays since the both lines will have the same TPH?

Delays only happen in one direction—towards Harlem. Since there is no third track to orchestrate merges, if a (Q) and (T) are trying to pull into 72 Street at the same time, one of them has to wait in the tunnel. Scheduling is unlikely to alleviate merging problems much since trains are universally delay-prone. Overlap and the inevitable conflict will happen.

• 2 weeks later...

No. With the right scheduling, that shouldn't be a problem.

As of current plans, the (T) will only share tracks with the (Q). Therefore, it is not difficult to time trains to have no conflicts, since you can set a (T) train midway between (Q) trains. The merge conflict is only in one direction as well (doing downtown from 72nd, there is no conflict), which makes it all the more simple.

Agreed. Same with how the (J) only shares tracks with the (M). The junction at Myrtle-B'way may be a different story sometimes, but overall, it's not much of a problem.

Aren't they not allowed to do much when trains pass by ever since that rash of construction worker deaths on the subway a few years back?