Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

First death on the line

http://nypost.com/2017/01/31/man-found-dead-on-second-avenue-subway/

A man was discovered dead on a train along the newly minted Second Avenue Subway line — the first DOA at one of the newly opened stops.

The unidentified man in his 50s was discovered unconscious and unresponsive on a Q train at the 96th Street station around 12:30 a.m. Tuesday.

EMS workers took the man to Metropolitan Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Police said the man did not appear to have any signs of trauma on his body and likely died of natural causes. The Medical Examiner’s Office will make an official determination in coming days.

The stations opened at the beginning of the year along Second Avenue at 72nd, 86th and 96th streets.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First death on the line

That's pretty sad. I think the man was dead on the scene, though, since the hospital is a block away.

Maybe it had to do with his being homeless in this cold weather? (http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Body-Found-Subway-Train-New-York-City-Q-Second-Avenue-NYPD-Police-Investigation-412259933.html)

Cops found the man unresponsive on the train at the 96th Street stop shortly after midnight. He had no visible signs of trauma and authorities believe he may have been homeless and died of natural causes.

----

It's not that often that people are found dead on the subway, is it? The last time I remember hearing about it was the man found dead at Dyre Avenue. My friend thought it was funny that he was found there...

Nope, but when it does happen, it's creepy. Like this one: http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/dead-man-aboard-m-rush-subway-corpse-rode-no-1-train-hours-article-1.839339

A dead man rode the subway for hours yesterday with thousands of morning rush-hour commuters who barely noticed him, police said.

Edited by agar io

It's not that often that people are found dead on the subway, is it? The last time I remember hearing about it was the man found dead at Dyre Avenue. My friend thought it was funny that he was found there...

Well, they're more likely to be found at terminals, where workers check the generally empty cars and it's easier to tell if someone's sleeping or dead - and either way, it's their job to wake them whereas passengers kind of don't care

On the full size mezzanine...

From my observation at 96st, the big mezzanine indeed makes the platform less crowded. Most people leave the platform when they got off the train instead of finding their ways to the exits on the platforms. Some stations on SAS would be overcrowded already in the first month without those full size mezzanines.  :mellow:

But i think it could be done better.

People are still packed around the stairs, especially for those without escalators right next to. So the mezzanine is doing fine but some spots on the platform are packed when trains arrive. Having more escalators would help.

Entrances might be crowded as well if the ridership keeps growing on SAS. I don't know why they didn't take the advantage of full size mezzanines, to have small entrances located in the middle of the stations. That would help distribute the crowd using the full mezzanines.

I understand those could increase the cost of the stations. But they decided to spend $$$ on the full size mezzanines, why can't spend a bit more to make the mezzanines more useful?

I hope they will consider those for the phases 2 and 3, or otherwise just build smaller mezzanines 

Entrances might be crowded as well if the ridership keeps growing on SAS. I don't know why they didn't take the advantage of full size mezzanines, to have small entrances located in the middle of the stations. That would help distribute the crowd using the full mezzanines.

That would mean even more tunnels to bore diagonally through the earth, which costs major $$$$.

It could work for the relatively shallow Phase 2, though. A smaller side entrance might also work for 96 St since it's closer to the ground and the mezzanine is right under the street

I think that it should be done. It would provide access between the B D and the J without having to transfer to the F or M in between.

You can transfer at Atlantic Av from the (B)(D) to the (Q)(N) respectively, then go to Canal St for the (J).

It doesn't explain why the connection wasn't built during the Manhattan Bridge closure, though.

You can transfer at Atlantic Av from the (B)(D) to the (Q)(N) respectively, then go to Canal St for the (J).

It doesn't explain why the connection wasn't built during the Manhattan Bridge closure, though.

That's a bit of back tracking. If not available just take the (T) to Houston for the (F)

lol... The (Q) has helped, but people that can are also using Metro-North as well.  I see more and more people going from Grand Central to Harlem 125th, and also some people getting on at Harlem-125th to go to Grand Central.  The crowds have been slightly less, but the (4)(5)(6) has also been plagued by what seems like endless delays. Just last night as I was getting on a (3) train, they were announcing delays in (2)(5) service.  I don't use the Lex line these days unless it's absolutely necessary.

That's a bit of back tracking. If not available just take the (T) to Houston for the (F)

I thought Kew Gardens was talking about going to the (J) from Downtown Brooklyn, but yeah, the (T) and then the (F) makes sense too.

I forgot to add this: As for transferring to the (J) from the southbound (B)(D), you could transfer to the (6) at Bway-Lafayette and then the (J) at Canal.

MTA news release on SAS passenger growth, and Lex reduction:

<a href="http://www.mta.info/news/2017/02/01/second-av-subway-ridership-growing-rapidly">Second Av Subway Ridership Growing Rapidly</a>

Thanks for the link. I noticed in the article that although Lex ridership is down and 2 Av ridership is pretty high, the cumulative ridership from UES stations has risen from last year to this year (e.g. 96th St went from 30,000 riders at one station to 55,000 at two stations).

I wonder would it possible to connect Grand St (B)(D)(T) and Bowery (J)?

Good idea, but only if they bring that station and Chambers back to a good shape with some massive renovation; that's the only way people won't ridicule it when a (B)(D)(T) transfer opens. The way I see it, the only way to do that is to cut back (J) service to Essex Street on the weekends.

Thanks for the link. I noticed in the article that although Lex ridership is down and 2 Av ridership is pretty high, the cumulative ridership from UES stations has risen from last year to this year (e.g. 96th St went from 30,000 riders at one station to 55,000 at two stations).

Some of that may be due to M15 bus riders switching to the Q.