Manhattan Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

CDTA

The 7th ave line is a LTD.

That's irrelevant to this (this is Amsterdam/ Columbus were talking about). If this was on the M104, yeah, you would have somewhat of a point. The point is to somewhat decrease time to the subway along Amsterdam/Columbus. You have the M101 running below the (4)(5)(6) anyways. This doesn't "mock" the subway until about 116 street.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's irrelevant to this (this is Amsterdam/ Columbus were talking about). If this was on the M104, yeah, you would have somewhat of a point. The point is to somewhat decrease time to the subway along Amsterdam/Columbus. You have the M101 running below the (4)(5)(6) anyways. This doesn't "mock" the subway until about 116 street.

Still a way to kill redundancy good anyway.

I have a proposal.

The M7 used to be a limited- bus stop service (although why it was stopped, I'm not sure)

Why not have every bus run LIMITED north of 72 Street in the AM and PM rush hours.

It would stop at :

72 Street

79 Street

86 Street

96 Street

106 Street (Corresponding Avenues)

110 Street/ Manhattan Avenue

116/ Federick Douglas

7 Avenue

Lenox Avenue/116 st

125 Street

135 Street

147 Street

I guess it could work. Some members proposed that the M104 get LTD service.

I don't know about that one... The problem with the M104 is that the line bunches so much that I don't see how anyone could benefit from the limited stop service.

I thought the bunching would stop when it was cut back to Port Authority...

• 2 weeks later...

M28: Local crosstown service between

Chelsea Piers and the 34 St Ferry Landing

Eastbound: via 11 Av, 28 St, 30 St, and 1 Av

Westbound: via 34 St, 2 Av, 29 St, and 11 Av

Bus will run daily from 6AM to midnight, every

30 minutes.

Edited by lara8710

M28: Local crosstown service between Chelsea Piers and the 34 St Ferry Landing

Bus will run daily from 6AM to midnight, every 30 minutes.

This is a far cry of having it operate 24/7...

30 minutes.

And who is this supposed to be serving? The M34 doesn't even do that well to begin with.  After rush hour, those buses don't carry well at all.

The M50 gets decent ridership during the week, but weekends is another story, hence the 30 minute headways. There's enough ridership to keep weekend service, but anything more than 30 minutes would be very generous.

It only got Weekend service because of Upper East Side folk that claim they use it....

The same folks that said they use(d) the M30....

Edited by Cait Sith

It only got Weekend service because of Upper East Side folk that claim they use it....

The same folks that said they use(d) the M30....

Well I certainly think it should run on weekends, as without it there would be no crosstown service after 42nd until 57th street. I do use it and it is a great alternative to the other crosstown buses, as it's less busy.  There are also a lot of businesses nearby or on 49th or 50th, so it is helpful for those people.  The blocks esp. on the West Side can be long on hot or cold days, so when I see one I'll grab it, as it shortens my walk.  Sometimes I go as far east as 1st Avenue, and as far west as 11th Avenue.  There are a lot of bars and restaurants along the route so it's great for that reason alone, at least for me anyway. lol  The Upper East Side doesn't have as much pull as you may think.  I wrote to the representative where the M104 used to terminate and that person unfortunately could not get anywhere, though they had received numerous requests and signatures to have the M104 restored back to the U.N. I was told via phone that the (MTA) was very resistant to it (at least at that time anyway) and so I said fine, but I may try again in the future and suggested a couple of strategies that they should consider which they basically shot down.  It really needs to go back to the U.N. full time.

Add to that, wasn't it a compromise after it was cut back from the UN?

Yes, that's correct.  Supposedly the cut back allowed the savings to be used to restore weekend service.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Well I certainly think it should run on weekends, as without it there would be no crosstown service after 42nd until 57th street. I do use it and it is a great alternative to the other crosstown buses, as it's less busy.  There are also a lot of businesses nearby or on 49th or 50th, so it is helpful for those people.  The blocks esp. on the West Side can be long on hot or cold days, so when I see one I'll grab it, as it shortens my walk.  Sometimes I go as far east as 1st Avenue, and as far west as 11th Avenue.  There are a lot of bars and restaurants along the route so it's great for that reason alone, at least for me anyway. lol  The Upper East Side doesn't have as much pull as you may think.  I wrote to the representative where the M104 used to terminate and that person unfortunately could not get anywhere, though they had received numerous requests and signatures to have the M104 restored back to the U.N. I was told via phone that the (MTA) was very resistant to it (at least at that time anyway) and so I said fine, but I may try again in the future and suggested a couple of strategies that they should consider which they basically shot down.  It really needs to go back to the U.N. full time.

Yes, that's correct.  Supposedly the cut back allowed the savings to be used to restore weekend service.

Agreed on M50 lol at Cait's comment and M104 UN nonsense at least until a bus lane is added for 42nd to make sure UN doesn't kill reliability. Why can't you simply advocate for better M42 service? It will solve the problem rather than the M104 band-aid solution that ends up making waits on Broadway longer why can't you just let a Manhattan bus be reliable for once?

And who is this supposed to be serving? The M34 doesn't even do that well to begin with.  After rush hour, those buses don't carry well at all.

Hmm blame the stop locations for that mess not helping to have several key connections skipped 8th ave and other stops that have been suspended and it's still unreliable on top of the inconvenient stops. M34a ain't helping.

30 minutes.

Is there really a need for a 28th/29th Street Crosstown?  It might be (barely) more useful to just extend the M34 to Chelsea Piers.

Agreed on M50 lol at Cait's comment and M104 UN nonsense at least until a bus lane is added for 42nd to make sure UN doesn't kill reliability. Why can't you simply advocate for better M42 service? It will solve the problem rather than the M104 band-aid solution that ends up making waits on Broadway longer why can't you just let a Manhattan bus be reliable for once?

It's not just about reliable M42 service.  It's about having to make an unnecessary transfer at 42nd, and some folks would have to pay an additional fare.  There are a lot of people that come from the Upper West Side such as myself who need East Side access and the M104 provides that seamlessly and quickly.  

It's not just about reliable M42 service.  It's about having to make an unnecessary transfer at 42nd, and some folks would have to pay an additional fare.  There are a lot of people that come from the Upper West Side such as myself who need East Side access and the M104 provides that seamlessly and quickly.  

Not only that, but I'd be willing to think that some people favored the 104 over the 42 (within 42 street itself).