Manhattan Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

CDTA

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Park Av northbound between 41st and 42nd St is CitiBike Station plaza. During summer time Park Av South at same block has outdoor cafe extended

Will M39 turn around like via 39th, Madison, 42nd St, Lexington Av, 39th St?

Or will M39 turn around via 41st St, 3rd Av, 42nd St, 5th Av, 40th St, Park Av?

I thought of this for a while, and I desided to make the M39 terminal like this:

Uptown: Via Park Avenue, left on 39 Street, right on Madison Avenue, left on 42 Street, and terminate.

Downtown: start at 42 Street and Madison Avenue, left on 5 Avenue, left on 40 Street, right on Park Avenue, and regular route.

I thought of this for a while, and I desided to make the M39 terminal like this:

Uptown: Via Park Avenue, left on 39 Street, right on Madison Avenue, left on 42 Street, and terminate.

Downtown: start at 42 Street and Madison Avenue, left on 5 Avenue, left on 40 Street, right on Park Avenue, and regular route.

pointless endeavor you will take nobody off the subway and create a slow extremely duplicative and long route that won't last.

• 2 weeks later...

Extending B39's to Grand Central is overkill.... Also, I can't fathom that bus service is really missed along Av. B... It was the least used of the 4 routes that used to run along Av's A-D back when the M9 ran on av B.... LES should be thankful that they have 9's instead of 22's (makes it sound like I'm talkin about guns... lol) running along Av. C, to/from Bellevue....

If Manhattan wasn't as congested as it is, I suppose running B39's to Union Sq. would be ideal (maybe) - although it would depend on the routing it takes to get there... But on the same token, it would have to venture to somewhere else in Brooklyn for it to flourish as an interborough route (something like how the Q32 does well in Queens & Manhattan the way it does); ending at WBP won't be enough.... But with Manhattan being what it is, we can forget about extending B39's anywhere.....

------------------------------------

Anyway, couple ideas...

M9 - Should be cut back to ending at City Hall... Either that, or have the M9 serving BPC the way it used to (meaning, via Pearl, Water, Battery pl, etc)... I'm sorry, but the current routing west of City Hall doesn't do much of anyone justice....

M20 - Most service should be truncated to where the M22 ends, with rush hour service only running to South Ferry.

(M20 to S. Ferry was one of those ideas back in the day that the lot of us proposed... that actually happened... that IMO, never really panned out....)

M22 - Should run to commercial BPC, over there where the current M9 ends.... I also think the BPC bound buses from LES should make that right turn on Rutgers instead of Pike.... BPC patrons tend to favor the M22 over the M9.....

I've always thought the M22 was a route that the MTA grossly underestimated...

I didn't really mind that old M9 routing.... It compensated for the M20 not going to South Ferry back then.....

The one thing I will say is that BPC folks used the M9 up to/past the Financial District moreso than the M20 to South Ferry.....

I would much rather have [that M9 routing restored to BPC & have the M20 cut back to WFC] over [the current M9 to BPC & the current M20 to South Ferry]....

Then the question becomes, does the M9 from Bellevue to BPC via South Ferry become too much for the route (OTP-wise)....

I didn't really mind that old M9 routing.... It compensated for the M20 not going to South Ferry back then.....

The one thing I will say is that BPC folks used the M9 up to/past the Financial District moreso than the M20 to South Ferry.....

I would much rather have [that M9 routing restored to BPC & have the M20 cut back to WFC] over [the current M9 to BPC & the current M20 to South Ferry]....

Then the question becomes, does the M9 from Bellevue to BPC via South Ferry become too much for the route (OTP-wise)....

yup the (1) & (R) go to south ferry no need to hurt OTP for a redundant segment. M9 as is is excellent.

that is why people could take the subway.

There is no subway in Battery Park City, what in the world are you talking about with this....

You've been on this bringing up of rail service bit in this section rather heavy lately.... It's not gonna get people to not talking about buses....

Edited by B35 via Church

There is no subway in Battery Park City, what in the world are you talking about with this....

You've been on this bringing up of rail service bit in this section rather heavy lately.... It's not gonna get people to not talking about buses....

I was talking about distance riders plus they have a free shuttle bus in battery park.

I was talking about distance riders plus they have a free shuttle bus in battery park.

"Distance riders" still have to get to Battery Park City from the subway.... We were talking about the M9 to Battery Park City & how it should be routed there & you know it....

The shuttle buses are mainly used by those that work in BPC, not the residents of it.... Sure they can use it, but that's no substitute for public bus service....

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, they were.

The M10 also had short trips to 145th for the same reason, and the roll sign read "M10 145 St Only."  I have never seen any other bus destination sign, mylar or electronic, that used the word "only."

the Q66, when still Queens Surface, had a destination sign that read TO 51 St Only