Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

What do you guys think of potentially moving the B69 from 7th-Flatbush-Plaza-Vanderbilt to 7th-Union-Plaza-Vanderbilt?

It would remove that ridiculous turn at Flatbush and 7th.

That sounds reasonable, not sure why the B69 makes the turn at Flatbush and 7th to begin with. (I get that the B69 is trying to help the B67 on 7th, but using Flatbush as the street to turn onto 7th isn't a good choice for the B69)

Edited by NY1635

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always thought the B71 should be extended through the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel to South Ferry (or somewhere in that general area). 

You could send the B69 through the Navy Yard (Cumberland Gate) to Williamsburg, instead of having it attempt to duplicate the B67 by terminating where it used to in Downtown Brooklyn. With all the routes in that general area going towards Downtown Brooklyn (both in Fort Green/Clinton Hill and Park Slope), you could afford to remove one and send it to a different hub (in this case Williamsburg) where the B62 is the only connection for that entire general area to.

B71 to Manhattan wouldn't have enough ridership to really be meaningful. I doubt it would take a significant amount of riders off of the subway. 

The routing I proposed could allow buses to actually carry passengers on Court/Smith since there is now a connection to points east instead of mirroring the B61, and the route could provide a new alternative to the B45/B65 for Crown Heights customers.

I'd like to keep the B67 and B69 to the same north/south terminals so interlining could be maintained.

Quick question: Do any significant numbers of Red Hook residents walk over from Smith/9th to Court/9th so they have the option of the B57, or they only take it heading towards the subway?

The B57 & the B61 are used interchangeably heading towards the subway, but only the B61 is sought after, after coming from the subway....

So, the latter.....

B71 to Manhattan wouldn't have enough ridership to really be meaningful. I doubt it would take a significant amount of riders off of the subway. 

The routing I proposed could allow buses to actually carry passengers on Court/Smith since there is now a connection to points east instead of mirroring the B61, and the route could provide a new alternative to the B45/B65 for Crown Heights customers.

I'd like to keep the B67 and B69 to the same north/south terminals so interlining could be maintained.

No, but depending on the exact routing, it would give some people a one-seat ride, as opposed to having to take a bus to the subway, or two subway trains to reach Lower Manhattan.

As for the B67/69, I don't think there's much to be gained by interlining the two on both ends. If you send a bus down the B69 to fill a gap in service, you'll probably end up with a gap in B67 service, and vice versa. In terms of scheduling to get cost savings or whatever, there's enough to be had by the interlining on the southern end.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

What do you guys think of potentially moving the B69 from 7th-Flatbush-Plaza-Vanderbilt to 7th-Union-Plaza-Vanderbilt?

It would remove that ridiculous turn at Flatbush and 7th.

That sounds reasonable, not sure why the B69 makes the turn at Flatbush and 7th to begin with.

(I get that the B69 is trying to help the B67 on 7th, but using Flatbush as the street to turn onto 7th isn't a good choice for the B69)

To me, It doesn't sound anymore reasonable than what's currently going on w/ that pain-in-the-ass turn @ Flatbush & 7th... For starters, turning buses @ Union & 7th isn't exactly feasible in its own right either... But worse than that, you're taking away that much more BPH from Park Slopers (who are increasingly) utilizing 7th av on the (B)(Q)....

When 7th av on the (F) is losing riders to the [b61] & the [b67/69 to the (B)(Q)], there's a bit of a problem..... I don't want to breakdown ridership patterns (plural) on the B67 right now, but let's just say that it is not Park Slopers riding in/out of downtown on the B67 much anymore.... DUMBO patrons & NYCTC (or w/e they call that school now) use it to get to the Barclay's Center area & generally do not ride further north than Bergen... Otherwise, the B67 would be doing B37 (of old, that is) numbers along Livingston.... None of this was the norm when I grew up taking the B67 with my father to (co-incidentally) 7th av & 9th st....

I mean, all of this (and then some) is what the MTA created when they took service off the B67 to give to/spare the B69 (from extinction)....

They really had no choice but to maintain that connection b/w the B69 & for the Brighton lines - Which means, that turn from Flatbush onto 7th coming down from Vandy'bilt.....

I've always thought the B71 should be extended through the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel to South Ferry (or somewhere in that general area).

Quite a few of us in this online transit community have (myself included).... And last time I've read (late December), Brooklyn CB6 is still clamoring for a bus route to lower manhattan - However, the consensus was [prolly still is] for express service & not local service!! This wasn't the case six + years ago (talks of express service were slim to nil & talks of running both the 71 & the 77 over the BBT were predominant)... Not for nothin, but I strongly believe the clamoring for express service is more from the Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill folks than from Park Slopers....

Don't understand what that would accomplish

Concentrating north-south service onto Throop and Marcus Garvey to provide the same level of frequency as the B44 and B46 which are three blocks away, and take some of the load off those services.

Concentrating north-south service onto Throop and Marcus Garvey to provide the same level of frequency as the B44 and B46 which are three blocks away, and take some of the load off those services.

I think the B15 already runs frequently enough, but the problem is all the bunching on the route. The B43 isn't particularly frequent, but it's not particularly infrequent either, and as far as I know, there's no significant problems with bunching.

I think the B15 already runs frequently enough, but the problem is all the bunching on the route. The B43 isn't particularly frequent, but it's not particularly infrequent either, and as far as I know, there's no significant problems with bunching.

When I'm in the Greenpoint and Williamsburg areas on the weekend, the are large gaps, and while not bunching, there are buses pretty close to each other. I don't know what the chokepoints of that route are besides probably the Manhattan Avenue portion from Greenpoint Ave down, but it is an issue.

For most of their service span the B15 and B43 run at half the B44/46 frequencies or close to it, so a third-super frequent option wouldn't hurt. Plus, if one is bunching up people who need to go north-south on the shared portion can just utilize one of the other routes.

People aren't going to leave the B46 and B44 for the B15... the B15 just doesn't have similar coverage to those two routes and isn't as attractive (not as frequent, no LTD and no SBS).

The B43 definitely needs a review, bunching can be an issue on that route. If anything all that's really necessary there is possibly a frequency increase if you want to improve it.

The only route worth looking at strengthening as an alternative to the B44 or B46 is the B47... and that route has problems of its own that need correcting.

I have my own list of changes I would make to Brooklyn buses, not dissimilar to checkmate's list for SI buses, but I'm still working on some things. Included in it though, are some improvements to the B47 (including adding short runs between Sutter Avenue (3) and Kings Plaza, and limited service).

The B15 has its own job to do in serving the airport. Changing its routing will help no one.

Alright, I have the initial draft of my overhaul plans ready. I will likely add specifics about things or add more changes as discussion goes on.

I've also made a map of some of the modified and new routes here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13PZFo1cxoDWXAbJSOBpc1-zRTUI&usp=sharing

B1:

·      Limited stop service added weekdays and Saturdays, with Sunday service added later if deemed necessary. Buses make limited stops between 86th Street/Avenue X and 86th Street/Fort Hamilton Parkway.

·      Service extended westward to 86th Street and Shore Road.

Justification:

·      Limited service would help improve reliability along the route that is forced to work through difficult traffic on 86th Street.

·      Extension to the west allows a route to cover the entirety of 86th Street and fills gap in coverage left by B16 during off peak hours.

Cost/Funding:

·      Limited buses come from existing service and are also taken from service adjustments to the B16 and B64 (See these respective routes).

·      Extension covers B16 service, which is cut back to 86th Street/4th Avenue on weekends (See B16).

B7:

·      Rerouted south of Kings Highway/Remsen Avenue to follow the B17’s East 80th Street branch to East 80th Street/Seaview Avenue.

·      Weekend service eliminated.

Justification:

·      Very low ridership on B7 south of Church Avenue, since riders prefer B46 or B47. B46 SBS and improved B47 route can cover these riders.

·      Provides Canarsie residents with relatively more service along Remsen Avenue and alternate connections (direct connections to C and J via the B7).

·      Kings Highway south of Flatbush Avenue covered by B82.

·      Low ridership overall on weekends. Riders can use B17, B47 and B60 routes for alternate weekend service.

Cost/Funding:

·      Cost-positive changes. Money saved is reinvested into other routes.

B8:

·      Headways reduced between Nostrand Avenue/Newkirk Avenue and Rockaway Parkway/Church Avenue (new eastern terminal).

·      Service rerouted in Remsen Village. Coming from the west, starting from Avenue D/Kings Highway, buses run Avenue D > Ditmas Avenue > Rockaway Parkway.

Justification:

·      Buses removed from B8 serve B23 route, which mirrors B8 route between Nostrand Avenue/Newkirk Avenue and Rockaway Parkway/Church Avenue.

·      Rerouted B8 in Remsen Village provides a second route to serve Canarsie Plaza and the Brooklyn Army terminal. Passengers in Remsen Village area can use B7, B17 or B47 for alternate service.

Cost/Funding:

·      Cost-postive. Money saved is reinvested into other routes.

B16:

·      Service rerouted to use Fort Hamilton Parkway between Caton Avenue/ McDonald Avenue and Fort Hamilton Parkway/57th Street.

·      Service cut back to 86th Street and 4th Avenue during off-peak hours.

·      Headways on route reduced, especially during off-peak hours.

Justification:

·      Streamlined route improves reliability and creates a better corridor route between Lefferts Gardens and Bay Ridge.

·      Restored B23 covers service along 13th/14th Avenues.

·      Extended B1 covers service along 86th Street west of 4th Avenue. Shore Road is in relative walking distance of 3rd Avenue for B37.

Cost/Funding:

B17:

·      East 80th Street branch eliminated.

·      Minor cuts to headways on weekdays.

Justification:

·      East 80th Street branch covered by B7.

·      B7 supplements weekday service along Remsen Avenue.

Cost/Funding:

B23

·      Restored Route

·      Operates between Rockaway Parkway/Church Avenue in Brownsville and the V.A. Hospital in Fort Hamilton. Operates via Avenue D, Cortelyou Road and 13th/14th Avenues.

·      Alternate alignment: Flatbush Avenue/Nostrand Avenue to V.A. Hospital in Fort Hamilton. Requires no service adjustments to the B8 but may necessitate adjustments to other routes.

Justification:

·      Restores service to Cortelyou Road and provides and alternate crosstown corridor to the B8 and B35.

·      Helps streamline the B16 in Borough Park and creates better route corridors in that neighborhood.

·      Supports B8 service along Avenue D and in Brownsville.

Cost/Funding:

·      Buses taken from the B8 and B16 would be used on this route, with some extra funding being necessary to supplement this redistribution of service.

B38

·      Limited stop service added on Saturdays.

Justification:

·      Local stops do not see enough ridership on Saturdays to justify all buses running local. Adding limited service on Saturdays will improve reliability.

Cost/Funding:

·      Service taken from local buses to run limited service, with some service being taken from the B54 as well. (The B54 is generally shunned in favor of the B38, especially on weekends.)

B40

·      New service

·      Operates between Avenue H/Flatlands Avenue and Eastern Parkway/Utica Avenue (Utica Avenue 3, 4 station)

Justification:

·      Covers New York Avenue service south of Empire Blvd and provides a new north-south corridor route which serves Kings County Hospital and acts as an alternative to the B44 and B46.

·      B44 local service rerouted northbound to Rogers Avenue leaving a service gap which would need to be filled.

Cost/Funding:

·      Cost-negative. Funded from cuts to B44 local service and cutbacks on other routes.

B44

·      Northbound local service between Fulton Street and Farragut Road rerouted via Rogers Avenue.

·      Local service headways reduced.

Justification:

·      B40 covers service along New York Avenue.

·      B49 rerouted to serve Ocean Avenue and Prospect Park.

Cost/Funding:

B45

·      Service extended to Sutter Avenue/Ralph Avenue. (Sutter Avenue/Rutland Road 3 station.)

Justification:

·      Current terminal is in a poor location and offers few connections. Extension offers subway connections as well as connections to other bus routes.

Cost/Funding:

·      Cost-negative. Money saved on other route cutbacks would be used to finance this extension.

B47

·      Limited stop service added 7 days a week. Buses make limited stops between Ralph Avenue/Gates Avenue and Ralph Avenue/Flatlands Avenue. Some local buses will short turn at Sutter Avenue/East 98th Street (Sutter Avenue/Rutland Road 3 station), from the south.

·      Overall service increase.

Justification:

·      Limited stop service improves reliability and makes the B47 a more viable alternative to the B46.

·      Short turns at Sutter Avenue improve reliability on the southern portion of the route which is more heavily used.

Cost/Funding:

·      Service taken from B46 local to increase service on B47 (since the B46 will gain SelectBusService).

B49

·      Rerouted north of Foster Avenue to run directly to the Prospect Park B, Q, S station.

Justification:

·      B44 (local and SBS) cover service on Rogers Avenue. Bedford Avenue riders are within walking distance of the B41 and B44.

Cost/Funding:

B57

·      Service cut back in the west to the current B62 terminal at Boreum Place/Schemerhorn Street.

·      Rerouted to follow the B62 route between Classon Avenue/Flushing Avenue and Downtown Brooklyn.

·      Service cut back in the east to Metropolitan Avenue and Flushing Avenue.

Justification:

·      B71 covers service along Court and Smith Streets.

·      Buses serve more housing along Park Avenue and supplement B62 service.

·      Insufficient ridership east of Metropolitan to justify the longer route. Saves money and improves reliability.

Cost/Funding:

B65

·      Service extended to Broadway Junction (@ Van Sinderen Avenue) via Bergen/Dean Streets.

Justification:

·      Current terminal is in a poor location and offers few connections. Extension offers subway connections as well as connections to other bus routes.

Cost/Funding:

·      Cost-negative. Money saved on other route cutbacks would be used to finance this extension.

B67

·      All buses terminate at the Jay Street/Sands Street terminal.

Justification:

·      B71 covers Navy Yard service.

Cost/Funding:

B71

·      Restored route

·      Operates between Rodgers Avenue/St. Johns Place (Franklin Avenue 2, 3, 4, 5 station) and Smith Street/Fulton Street.

·      Service extended north at rush hours via current B67 route to Williamsburg Bridge Plaza, via the Brooklyn Navy yard.

Justification:

·      Provides a supplemental crosstown route between the B65 and B61.

·      Allows the unreliable B57 route to be cut back to Downtown Brooklyn.

·      Creates more lucrative service along Court/Smith Streets by connecting to Crown Heights.

·      Allows the B67 and B69 to have proper interlining on both ends of their route.

Cost/Funding:

·      Cost negative. Some money will be saved from the cutback of the B57 but will ultimately require more monetary investment. Potential revenue over time justifies the extra investment necessary.

Edited by Threxx

I don't see anything for the B64 (you mentioned it as justification for the B1/16 changes). If you'd cut service on Shore Road, then I assume you're not extending the B64 down the length of Shore Road or anything.

I've always thought there should be a local route running down Shore Road. Especially as you go further north, the B37 gets further away. 

In any case, I'd rather have the B23 run to the Canarsie (L) station while the B8 continues down its current route (you end up saving a similar amount of money). You'd have a direct route from the Canarsie (L) station to Canarsie Plaza. Also, I think it should run straight down 14th Avenue. No need for northbound buses to go from 14th to 13th and back to 14th. Just have southbound buses take 13th-60th (or 62nd, which is a little quicker, but less convenient for a transfer to/from the (N)) down to 14th. 

I assume that meandering around Bwy Jct for the B65 is just an error on Google Maps. In any case, I like B35's suggestion of ending it with the B12 at the Alabama Avenue (J) station. The transfer itself is physically easier (fewer stairs). I think there's a stop somewhere in the vicinity of the (L) along ENY Avenue, and if not there probably should be. The (C) is a few blocks to the north of the B65 anyway and you can use that to connect to the (A) if you're not already at Utica or Nostrand.

Like I said, I don't see a reason why your B40 can't be combined with the B49. You're making the B49 even more of a duplicate of the Brighton Line (especially since the line curves closer to Ocean Avenue as you get further north, and of course, the Parkside Avenue & Prospect Park stations are directly on Ocean Avenue). Not to mention that Flatbush Avenue starts getting closer to Ocean Avenue from the other direction.

Nor do I see why the service can't run southbound along Brooklyn Avenue. I understand that NY Avenue used to have both the B44 local & limited, but like I said, the first route after the long gap in north-south service is going to get heavy ridership, regardless of the exact street it runs on.

I already gave my opinion about the B71. 

What do you guys think of moving the northbound B15 to Throop Av, and the southbound B43 to Marcus Garvey/Albany Avs?

Don't understand what that would accomplish

Centralizing & equalizing service on the B15/B43 b/w the B44 & B46 in Bed Stuy means nothing (as far as helping the B44 & the B46 are concerned) if neither the B15 or the B43 travels as far south as those two routes, for starters... 

See here, if we use Bed Stuy as a point of reference (from the north):

* The highest concentration of ridership on the B44 pans all the way down to the junction...

* The highest concentration of ridership on the B46 pans all the way down to Av H...

Furthermore, moving the B43 from off Throop to Albany would instantly cause a loss of ridership on that route.... Moving the NB B15 to Throop would garner more riders in Bed Stuy (there are more riders on the B43 along Throop than there are along the B15 on Lewis)... So I see this whole bit as taking ridership from off the B43 to give to the B15 - to no avail of helping either the B44 or the B46.....

I think the B15 already runs frequently enough, but the problem is all the bunching on the route.

The B43 isn't particularly frequent, but it's not particularly infrequent either, and as far as I know, there's no significant problems with bunching.

Said this in another discussion; there are too many B15's running to Woodhull that need not be..... I believe (what I said in that linked post)  would go some ways to solve the bunching issue on the route...

As far as the B43, what BM5 says is true.... It's not that they bunch necessarily, it's that they tend to run real close to each other (especially heading towards Greenpoint).... IMO, the portion (well, usage) of the route north of Broadway (NB) is the cause of it.... The B43 along Graham NB (for instance) sees more activity (pickups/dropoffs) per stop than the SB B43 - that's one thing I've immediately picked up on with that route....

....and then there's the headache that is Manhattan av (either direction) w/ the double parking, bad (curbside) parking, and elderly folks crossing the street & what not....

When I'm in the Greenpoint and Williamsburg areas on the weekend, the are large gaps, and while not bunching, there are buses pretty close to each other. I don't know what the chokepoints of that route are besides probably the Manhattan Avenue portion from Greenpoint Ave down, but it is an issue.

There aren't any other chokepoints on the B43; once you clear Greenpoint (the neighborhood), you're in the clear.... That's why I (if I don't feel like being bothered with taking the B32 to WBP for the B46) get off the B32 at Greenpoint av. & xfer to the B43 & ride it all the way down to Empire/Brooklyn.... The walk for me getting home from that point is tolerable.....

I assume that meandering around Bwy Jct for the B65 is just an error on Google Maps. In any case, I like B35's suggestion of ending it with the B12 at the Alabama Avenue (J) station. The transfer itself is physically easier (fewer stairs). I think there's a stop somewhere in the vicinity of the (L) along ENY Avenue, and if not there probably should be. The (C) is a few blocks to the north of the B65 anyway and you can use that to connect to the (A) if you're not already at Utica or Nostrand.

Atlantic av (L).....

You get some people in the morning on the B12 (when I take it to LIRR ENY) that walk from Junius st (2nd to last stop on the B12) to the (L).... One thing that peeves me about that station is the sheer amount of steps you have to walk up to get to platform level.....

• 3 weeks later...

So, I had a look at the B39 schedule since I've been seeing on bustime that the buses run behind schedule. I would expect delays on the route, since it goes on the Willy-B. However, the looking at the runtimes of these buses (specifically going to Brooklyn), its no wonder why these buses can't run on-time.

To Delancey Street:

The schedule gives 7 to 12 minutes to run from Brooklyn to Manhattan outside the AM rush. From 12 PM to 9 PM, buses are given 7-9 minutes to cross the bridge. What I propose is to give the bus a more reasonable schedule. The bus will have 11 minutes from 12 PM to about 3 PM, then have 13 minutes to cross the bridge until about 6 PM, where it will be 11 minutes. 

To Williamsburg:

The schedule going to Brooklyn is all sorts of messed up and unrealistically set up. For starters, how do you expect to get from end to end in 4-6 minutes? It sometimes take that amount of time to cross the bridge alone, and then deal with traffic from Delancey Street and such. What I would do is have the B39 originate 2 minutes earlier on all trips to Williamsburg (at :16 and :46)

Departures from 7 AM to 8 AM will be given 10 minutes to cross the bridge. From 8 AM to 2 PM, they will be given 11 minutes. From 2 PM to 4 PM, buses will be given 12 minutes. From 4 PM to 6 PM, buses will be given 13 minutes of runtime. After 6 PM, buses will be given 11 minutes of runtime. 

In some cases, the layover will be kept to only 3 minutes (both sides combined), with most having around 5 minutes of layover (combined), and others having as much as 10 minutes (combined).

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

I can't think of one time I've taken the B39 where the layover was longer on the WBP end than on the Manhattan end.... I have to say that I've taken the route more out of Manhattan than out of WBP, and the epic waits is something that does irritate me.... This may sound biased as hell, but I don't even think the route should have a terminal on the Manhattan end.... Inbound traffic seems heavier than outbound traffic on the Willy B, no matter what time of day.....

Only problem w/ that now is, it shares a lane w/ the Q54 (IINM).... So there goes that.

I can't think of one time I've taken the B39 where the layover was longer on the WBP end than on the Manhattan end.... I have to say that I've taken the route more out of Manhattan than out of WBP, and the epic waits is something that does irritate me.... This may sound biased as hell, but I don't even think the route should have a terminal on the Manhattan end.... Inbound traffic seems heavier than outbound traffic on the Willy B, no matter what time of day.....

Only problem w/ that now is, it shares a lane w/ the Q54 (IINM).... So there goes that.

I don't really see it as biased; I agree with that too. I think it would also work if the B39's only terminal was WBP. It's a relatively short route on a tight schedule to be having 5-8 minute breaks on both sides as it currently is. It would be comparable to the runtime (and layover time) of the B32 buses.

The B39 should terminate in Williamsburg Brdg plaza as a loop into Manhattan. For example, if the first bus left at 00:00, it should reach Allen Street/ Delancey Street at 00:09 and the terminal at 00:14. The next bus out should depart at 00:20 and so on. The point is that it has a 20 minute bus frequency.

The B39 should terminate in Williamsburg Brdg plaza as a loop into Manhattan. For example, if the first bus left at 00:00, it should reach Allen Street/ Delancey Street at 00:09 and the terminal at 00:14. The next bus out should depart at 00:20 and so on. The point is that it has a 20 minute bus frequency.

The B39 does not have the ridership to warrant 20 minute headways. The 30 minute headways are fine, the way I see it, the issue is that the entire route (except the small portion on Havemeyer Street going inbound after leaving WBP) is congested throughout most parts of the day. That, with the current schedule, is a recipe for disaster, and throws unreliability out the window. Buses should not have as much layover time as they currently do, especially on such a tight schedule.