Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

As far as the B12/25 terminal by the depot. I expected that was going to happen. I get why they're doing it, but I don't like the turnaround. Unless parking will be removed from Sheffield Avenue, I think that buses should use Pennsylvania Avenue to turnaround. 

Maybe they decided to use Sheffield specifically to keep buses away from the intersection of Penn and Atlantic.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as the B12/25 terminal by the depot. I expected that was going to happen. I get why they're doing it, but I don't like the turnaround. Unless parking will be removed from Sheffield Avenue, I think that buses should use Pennsylvania Avenue to turnaround. I also hope that they keep the B12 bus stop on the island for the customers coming off the hood shuttles and the Q24/56.....

As far as the combination of the B42/84 that was mentioned in another thread and possibly in an earlier post, the B42 should be left alone. If anything, the B84 should be extended to B17 terminal at Seaview Avenue-East 80th Street on the west. It should be extended to Euclid Avenue subway station on the east.

From Gateway the B13 and Q8(the faster one) got that covered, why add a third route I don't know? 

And How is the B84 getting to Seaview Ave-E 80 St route wise? Plz elaborate...

From Gateway the B13 and Q8(the faster one) got that covered, why add a third route I don't know? 

And How is the B84 getting to Seaview Ave-E 80 St route wise? Plz elaborate...

Flatlands Ave to Rockaway Pkwy, then take over the B17 route to Seaview Ave-E.80th Street.....

The B17 can just terminate at Rockaway Pkwy during rush hours like back in the day.....

• 4 weeks later...

Gonna drag this thread up from the dead for a couple ideas...

The simple one: Weekend B38 LTD service? At least Saturday service similar to the B6. Having used the route extensively while living in Bed-Stuy I know for a fact that the route gets sufficient service on Saturdays to necessitate the service. Sundays is debatable, but it can still happen on some days. Not sure how often the MTA reviews routes but I feel like if there was sufficient attention they should have realized that Saturday B38 LTD service would have potential.

(I remember seeing something years ago that the DeKalb/Laffayette corridor was actually considered for SBS... that would probably be a bit extreme.)

The more complex one: Combine the Navy Yard portion of the B67 and the Court/Smith potion of the B57 into a unique route, as a revival of the B75 or B77. I find it incredibly ironic how years ago the MTA broke up one such "super-route" in the B61, only to create another one with the B57... the extension to IKEA didn't help matters much either. I also know from experience that the B57 is infrequent and unreliable, and traffic along Flushing can be hell which brings further delays to the route. Cutting off the extraneous portion in Park Slope would help the issues in Bed-Stuy, and frankly the Navy Yard stuff doesn't really have much place being on the B67 at all.

Living in East Flatbush now, I've also been looking at ways to improve things in that corridor. The most glaring issue I've seen is the lack of decent north-south service between New York Avenue and Utica Avenue, but the thing known as Holy Cross Cemetery poses a serious physical boundary to any such service. I'll come back on that one.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GCWo3JuzDlsxHGEOgVneaKQJVQg&usp=sharing

Two ideas for a supposed "B40" route...

Idea A: 

Reroute northbound B44 local service to Rodgers Avenue.
Reroute B49 service to Prospect Park via Ocean Avenue.

B40 service would use New York Avenue to avoid having to route around Holy Cross. Fixes inconsistency in routing between B44 local and B44 SBS, but does little about the corridor issues, and is too far from the B46 to make a real impact in alleviating stress on that route.

Idea B:
B44 and B49 service would remain as-is.

B40 service is in a more justified position between the B44 and B46, but has to take a meandering route around Holy Cross cemetery.

Both have the issue of adding more congestion to the Flatbush Avenue turnaround, perhaps a turnaround at Kings Highway and Flatbush Avenue would avoid this? (The subway connection there doesn't feel as necessary considering the northern terminal is at Utica Avenue (3)(4).

Both routes have the benefit of adding service to the Utica Avenue (3)(4) station and Kings County Hospital.

Edited by Threxx

I would have combined the Navy Yard with the B32.

That doesn't really make sense, the Navy Yard route was clearly intended to source riders from Downtown Brooklyn, and the B32 would require an awkward extension to connect with the current B67 route.

That doesn't really make sense, the Navy Yard route was clearly intended to source riders from Downtown Brooklyn, and the B32 would require an awkward extension to connect with the current B67 route.

It could have come down the waterfront (as it does now), then through the Navy Yard and down Jay Street to end with the B62.

It could have come down the waterfront (as it does now), then through the Navy Yard and down Jay Street to end with the B62.

It also doesn't make much sense because the routes have no relation at all. People in LIC/Greenpoint are not necessarily going to be going to the Navy Yard. The B67 was used because it has a direct route to Downtown already, extending the B32 would just create another unnecessarily long route which gets inconsistent ridership. Creating a unique IKEA - Navy Yard route via Court/Smith would make sure that we are actually solving the issue of the "super-routes".

Gonna drag this thread up from the dead for a couple ideas...

The simple one: Weekend B38 LTD service? At least Saturday service similar to the B6. Having used the route extensively while living in Bed-Stuy I know for a fact that the route gets sufficient service on Saturdays to necessitate the service. Sundays is debatable, but it can still happen on some days. Not sure how often the MTA reviews routes but I feel like if there was sufficient attention they should have realized that Saturday B38 LTD service would have potential.

(I remember seeing something years ago that the DeKalb/Laffayette corridor was actually considered for SBS... that would probably be a bit extreme.)

The more complex one: Combine the Navy Yard portion of the B67 and the Court/Smith potion of the B57 into a unique route, as a revival of the B75 or B77. I find it incredibly ironic how years ago the MTA broke up one such "super-route" in the B61, only to create another one with the B57... the extension to IKEA didn't help matters much either. I also know from experience that the B57 is infrequent and unreliable, and traffic along Flushing can be hell which brings further delays to the route. Cutting off the extraneous portion in Park Slope would help the issues in Bed-Stuy, and frankly the Navy Yard stuff doesn't really have much place being on the B67 at all.

Living in East Flatbush now, I've also been looking at ways to improve things in that corridor. The most glaring issue I've seen is the lack of decent north-south service between New York Avenue and Utica Avenue, but the thing known as Holy Cross Cemetery poses a serious physical boundary to any such service. I'll come back on that one.

Two ideas for a supposed "B40" route...

Idea A: 

Reroute northbound B44 local service to Rodgers Avenue.

Reroute B49 service to Prospect Park via Ocean Avenue.

B40 service would use New York Avenue to avoid having to route around Holy Cross. Fixes inconsistency in routing between B44 local and B44 SBS, but does little about the corridor issues, and is too far from the B46 to make a real impact in alleviating stress on that route.

Idea B:

B44 and B49 service would remain as-is.

B40 service is in a more justified position between the B44 and B46, but has to take a meandering route around Holy Cross cemetery.

Both have the issue of adding more congestion to the Flatbush Avenue turnaround, perhaps a turnaround at Kings Highway and Flatbush Avenue would avoid this? (The subway connection there doesn't feel as necessary considering the northern terminal is at Utica Avenue (3)(4).

Both routes have the benefit of adding service to the Utica Avenue (3)(4) station and Kings County Hospital.

How about this?

B44 runs up Rogers/Nostrand, and the B49 takes Ocean-Foster-Brooklyn-Lenox-NY, and then terminates by NY & Empire (a true NY intersection lol). Then it takes Empire-Brooklyn-Winthrop-NY, and then the reverse route southbound.

It puts the B44 local & SBS on the same street (which justifies reopening the western entrance of Nostrand Avenue on the (A)(C)) and covers the north-south gap in East Flatbush (Brooklyn Avenue in both directions is probably a good enough compromise between directness, and coverage) and gives the B49 a separate task besides being a super-local for the Brighton Line (which it does a good job of, admittedly)

I honestly think that the Navy Yard route (we'll call it B75) should've been extended to WBP for all the connections available. So I agree with your suggestion to split the B57, as long as the B75 runs to WBP.

Another interesting idea is to have the B37 take 3rd Avenue-9th Street-Court/Smith Streets, and terminate where the old B75 terminated, and then send the B57 up through the Navy Yard to bypass some traffic on Flushing Avenue (terminating in Downtown Brooklyn). The only problem is that you lose the easy connection to the B103 for riders heading southbound, since it runs down 4th Avenue (unless the B103 were routed via Livingston-Nevins-Atlantic-3rd). Not sure how congested Flatbush between Livingston & 4th is, and if it would be any quicker than the current routing.

Unless of course, B37 riders went to Downtown Brooklyn and took the B103 if they were headed towards the Barclay's Center.

How about this?

B44 runs up Rogers/Nostrand, and the B49 takes Ocean-Foster-Brooklyn-Lenox-NY, and then terminates by NY & Empire (a true NY intersection lol). Then it takes Empire-Brooklyn-Winthrop-NY, and then the reverse route southbound.

It puts the B44 local & SBS on the same street (which justifies reopening the western entrance of Nostrand Avenue on the (A)(C)) and covers the north-south gap in East Flatbush (Brooklyn Avenue in both directions is probably a good enough compromise between directness, and coverage) and gives the B49 a separate task besides being a super-local for the Brighton Line (which it does a good job of, admittedly)

NY and Empire is a bad terminal. It's another terminal in the middle of nowhere like the B45/B65 terminal at Ralph and St. Johns. In addition, Brooklyn Avenue gets cut off partially by Kings County Hospital. Easy solution if you used NY both ways but still worth noting.

That solution doesn't thrill me at all because.

-Poor terminal location. It would do very little to take pressure off of the B46 and B35 if the route didn't either serve one of the Nostrand Ave. stations or Utica Avenue (3)(4).

-Redundancy to B44. A route along New York/Brooklyn still feels a bit too redundant to the B44, but the issue of Nostrand/NY/Rogers remains unsolved.

Discussions in one of the other threads which indicated that the B44 local is more used than the SBS would imply that New York Avenue service is required in some way. That would lead me to prefer my proposal A, but perhaps with some further modifications.

-B44 local service rerouted northbound to Rogers Avenue.

-B49 service rerouted to Prospect Park via Ocean Avenue, then west via Empire Blvd to Brooklyn/Kingston, where it would then go south and terminate at Winthrop Avenue. This fills in the gap in service left on NY Avenue between Clarkson and Empire Blvd. (An alternate solution to implementing a part time B43 run to Kings County Hospital, which is an idea I've seen floated as well.)

Below is an updated route map. The idea of splitting service between NY and Brooklyn was actually appealing to get more coverage eastward.

I honestly think that the Navy Yard route (we'll call it B75) should've been extended to WBP for all the connections available. So I agree with your suggestion to split the B57, as long as the B75 runs to WBP.

Another interesting idea is to have the B37 take 3rd Avenue-9th Street-Court/Smith Streets, and terminate where the old B75 terminated, and then send the B57 up through the Navy Yard to bypass some traffic on Flushing Avenue (terminating in Downtown Brooklyn). The only problem is that you lose the easy connection to the B103 for riders heading southbound, since it runs down 4th Avenue (unless the B103 were routed via Livingston-Nevins-Atlantic-3rd). Not sure how congested Flatbush between Livingston & 4th is, and if it would be any quicker than the current routing.

Unless of course, B37 riders went to Downtown Brooklyn and took the B103 if they were headed towards the Barclay's Center.

The traffic issues on Flushing Avenue are mostly from Classon Avenue east, so that wouldn't do much to get the route out of traffic, and you would miss stops which receive use along Flushing Avenue itself.

The B103 only makes about 3-4 actual stops on 3rd/4th in Park Slope so removing the B37 from there would create the problem we had before the route itself was brought back.

I still think nothing should be serving Smith/Court st like the old B75 did.... The MTA should have stuck to their guns with that, instead of running the B57 to the Smith-9th st. station (which was later extended to the IKEA, where it currently terminates).... The B57 is a bit of an afterthought, if we are talking about Cobble Hill & Red Hook to Downtown usage.... The MTA made their bed with this B61, now they have to lie in it.... Too many people are taking the B61 over the B57 - even when they live closer to the B57 (of those that take the bus I'm talking about; you're always gonna have those that shun the bus & take the (F); they're not a part of the conversation)!!! Really, the only sect of people that patronize the B57 much south of Downtown are the Red Hook patrons taking it to Smith-9th - and that is done so interchangeably with the same B61.... Lol.....

The route needs to be truncated; I would do a few things to that route:

1] Cut it back to Downtown Brooklyn; specifically terminating it w/ the B45....

2] Run it along Park av b/w Navy & Throop/Tompkins in the middle/core of the route.... The riders are on Park av & are having to walk up to Flushing av for no real good reason... It does not help that so many motorists are using Flushing av as a BQE bypass (so to speak) - and that trend has gotten rapidly worse in the past 5 years or so.....

2b] Run it up to York av like the B62 does... May be able to transport some of the yups from off the (F) heading due east to Clinton Hill or Ft. Greene, with the growing ridership that station's gotten (York).... Doesn't help that you can't xfer from the (F) from Manhattan to the (G) without riding it well past Downtown Brooklyn....

3] Cut it back to Metropolitan av... The route tends to die north of that point from points west, and Ridgewoodians aren't thinking twice about getting to the B57 (from off the Q39 or Q58).... Also, it's not like the Q54/Q59 where those that work in industrial Maspeth utilize the route - Worse, it bypasses a lot of industrial Maspeth by way of that underpass it takes....

------

They choose to continue operating the B57 like total crap.... The increase in service came when it was extended south of Downtown - which IMO was not warranted (but they opted to take away service from the 67 to have 69's running along 7th, but that's another topic).... So as far as headways are concerned, the 57 should be running no more frequently than 5 BPH during the rush & 3 BPH during off peak hrs....

Continuing my point from the 1st paragraph, the B71 was more necessary for the network than the B75 ever was.... Even if they wanted to have this (current) B61 in operation, it would have made more sense to [keep the B71 & have nothing operating along most the length of Smith/Court], than to [have no east-west route between Bergen & 9th, and extending the B57 to Red Hook].... Sure, the old B61 (Red Hook - Queens Plz) was more expensive to operate over the current B57, but the current B57 doesn't come all that close (especially per trip) to carrying the amt. of pax. that same rendition of the old B61 did.... Saying it another way, the current B57 is FAR more wasteful than the old B61 Red Hook - Queens route.... I'd go as far as to say that the original southern half split of the B61 (which was the B61 Downtown - IKEA route) was less wasteful than the current B57.... That's saying quite a bit....

Extending the B57 made things worse for no good reason; than to quell the complaints of the infamous Bklyn. CB 6 (which never shuts up about anything; they're worse than Brooklyn CB 10), whose patrons barely patronize the f***in thing......

I'm out.

-Poor terminal location. It would do very little to take pressure off of the B46 and B35 if the route didn't either serve one of the Nostrand Ave. stations or Utica Avenue (3)(4).

-Redundancy to B44. A route along New York/Brooklyn still feels a bit too redundant to the B44, but the issue of Nostrand/NY/Rogers remains unsolved.

I think the route is too close to the Nostrand subway to really have that much of a ridership base as a subway feeder. Though admittedly on the northern end, you might have some people riding to Kings County Hospital from the (3)(4) station. 

If you have the B41 on Flatbush, the B44 (local & SBS) on Rogers/Nostrand, and the B49 on Brooklyn, I don't see how that's anymore redundant than the current situation.

Discussions in one of the other threads which indicated that the B44 local is more used than the SBS would imply that New York Avenue service is required in some way. That would lead me to prefer my proposal A, but perhaps with some further modifications.

-B44 local service rerouted northbound to Rogers Avenue.

-B49 service rerouted to Prospect Park via Ocean Avenue, then west via Empire Blvd to Brooklyn/Kingston, where it would then go south and terminate at Winthrop Avenue. This fills in the gap in service left on NY Avenue between Clarkson and Empire Blvd. (An alternate solution to implementing a part time B43 run to Kings County Hospital, which is an idea I've seen floated as well.)

Below is an updated route map. The idea of splitting service between NY and Brooklyn was actually appealing to get more coverage eastward.

The thing is that NY Avenue is the first bus line that you hit, coming from the east, after a considerable distance from the next north-south line (B46). You can't say the same about Rogers, since not only is the B41 a few blocks to the west, but the B49 runs directly along the street as well (not to mention the subway on Nostrand, but I suppose you could say the same for NY Avenue service as well). If anything, you'd probably get a little more ridership on Brooklyn Avenue because you're deeper into that gap (of course, the cemetery eats into some of the coverage area, but still)

As for one-way pairs and increasing coverage, they actually decrease effective coverage. See these articles:

I also don't like the idea of the B40 as a standalone route. I mean, you're running a few blocks east of the Nostrand line, and ending at the exact same endpoint, you're not doing much for improving mobility within the area, let alone ridership. 

I'd rather give that entire Nostrand/Rogers stretch over to the B44, and let the B49 provide some "unique" coverage east of Nostrand. 

Either way, even if you ended the B49 at Eastern & Utica, you wouldn't be "taking pressure" off the B35 or B46. At best, maybe you'd help out the B12 a bit with the hospitalgoers (not that it's a bad thing).

The traffic issues on Flushing Avenue are mostly from Classon Avenue east, so that wouldn't do much to get the route out of traffic, and you would miss stops which receive use along Flushing Avenue itself.

The B103 only makes about 3-4 actual stops on 3rd/4th in Park Slope so removing the B37 from there would create the problem we had before the route itself was brought back.

I would think it would be west of Classon, since that's where it parallels the BQE, but I'll take your word on it (no sarcasm either)

As for the B103, the stops aren't ridiculously far apart. It covers Wyckoff Gardens and Atlantic Avenue. Just bring back the B71 and add in a stop at Union and you're good to go.

• 3 weeks later...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13PZFo1cxoDWXAbJSOBpc1-zRTUI&usp=sharing

An attempt to kill two birds with one stone here...

Reinstating the B71, but also having it cover Court and Smith. The proposed routing is depicted in the map. The route is a bit circuitous but it could work. Most of the streets it travels on are relatively lightly used save for Court/Smith, so reliability isn't a huge concern. Somewhat similarly to the current B67, the route would short turn during off peak hours, but at Fulton/Smith instead of at Sands Street.

Along with this:

The B57 would be rerouted to share the B62 terminal once again.
The B67 would be rerouted to share the B69 terminal once again.

Riders desiring IKEA/Red Hook can use the B61 (like almost all of them do already, or use their free shuttle).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13PZFo1cxoDWXAbJSOBpc1-zRTUI&usp=sharing

An attempt to kill two birds with one stone here...

Reinstating the B71, but also having it cover Court and Smith. The proposed routing is depicted in the map. The route is a bit circuitous but it could work. Most of the streets it travels on are relatively lightly used save for Court/Smith, so reliability isn't a huge concern. Somewhat similarly to the current B67, the route would short turn during off peak hours, but at Fulton/Smith instead of at Sands Street.

Along with this:

The B57 would be rerouted to share the B62 terminal once again.

The B67 would be rerouted to share the B69 terminal once again.

Riders desiring IKEA/Red Hook can use the B61 (like almost all of them do already, or use their free shuttle).

I would just have the B71 reverted as it formerly did operate, in addition to the extension past Grand Army Plaza.

I agree with having the B67 reverted to the way it formerly operated, and with the B57 reverted to Downtown Brooklyn. I would also have the Court Street route still run to IKEA, but on the northern segment, it would run up to Williamsburg. You could name it the B75 (since it is somewhat a resemblance of the old route). It would be based out of JG

Here's a hypothetical span of service:

From Williamsburg         From Red Hook

Weekdays              6:00 AM to 11:00 PM      5:00 AM to 10:00 PM

Saturday                7:30 AM to 11:00 PM       6:30 AM to 10:00 PM 

Sunday                   8:00 AM to 10:00 PM       7:00 AM to 9:00 PM

Service would run every 15 minutes during rush hour, 20 minutes on middays and Saturdays during daytime hours, and 30 minutes at all other times.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I was thinking about this while responding to this proposal, but I'll state my (somewhat relevant) proposal. So, the B62 suffers a lot with reliability issues.  Anytime of the week, there's buses bunching, and at anytime of the day (or most). There's several factors which cause that, such as traffic in the Greenpoint area and its relatively small streets, the amount of lights in Williamsburg, the amount of traffic around the BQE, as well as other "minor" factors. I personally think the B62 would be better off as two separate routes, divided at Williamsburg Bridge Plaza. Essentially, the route I mentioned above would run the B62 route north of Downtown Brooklyn to terminate at WBP. 

So the pattern would be as follows:

B57: Downtown Brooklyn to Maspeth

B62 Williamsburg to Queens Plaza

B75: Red Hook to Williamsburg

B75: Under this plan, the B75 would be a split between JG and GA during the daytime and evening hours. Full route service would operate every 20 minutes at all times except late nights, with GA buses doing short-turns during the rush between Williamsburg and Downtown Brooklyn, from 10 PM to 5 AM on Saturdays. Late nights, the route only operates between Downtown Brooklyn and Williamsburg. The full run service would be using JG vehicles, while the short-turn section will be using GA vehicles. One bus will exist per route, running every 60 minutes instead every 50 minutes on both segments. There's currently two buses anyways on the B62 at night.

There will be savings with the truncation of B57 service to Downtown Brooklyn (since not as many buses will be going down Court/Smith Streets), and the elimination of the B67 weekday segment. Service will be slightly less frequent during rush hours, and slightly more frequent on Saturdays.

Estimated full route runtime: 65 minutes during rush hours, 60 minutes during middays,  54 minutes on weekends.

B62: The B62 would operate every 60 minutes overnight, every 10 minutes during the rush hour, every 20 minutes during midday and evening hours, every 12-30 minutes on Saturdays, and every 15-30 minutes on Sundays. Only the rush hour and overnight headway would be slightly increased.

B57: Service to Maspeth starts 20 minutes earlier on Weekdays, at 4:45 AM, 15 minutes earlier at 5:15 AM on Saturdays, and 33 minutes earlier on Sundays, at 5:00 AM on Sundays.

Last bus to Downtown Brooklyn will depart Flushing Avenue at 12:30 AM Daily instead of 12:00 AM.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

I would just have the B71 reverted as it formerly did operate, in addition to the extension past Grand Army Plaza.

I agree with having the B67 reverted to the way it formerly operated, and with the B57 reverted to Downtown Brooklyn. I would also have the Court Street route still run to IKEA, but on the northern segment, it would run up to Williamsburg. You could name it the B75 (since it is somewhat a resemblance of the old route). It would be based out of JG

Here's a hypothetical span of service:

From Williamsburg         From Red Hook

Weekdays              6:00 AM to 11:00 PM      5:00 AM to 10:00 PM

Saturday                7:30 AM to 11:00 PM       6:30 AM to 10:00 PM 

Sunday                   8:00 AM to 10:00 PM       7:00 AM to 9:00 PM

Service would run every 15 minutes during rush hour, 20 minutes on middays and Saturdays during daytime hours, and 30 minutes at all other times.

This was essentially my original plan... using the new route to take over the southern half of the B62 is an interesting idea. I feel like this new B75 could also be plagued by reliability issues though as traffic on Court/Smith could get really bad.

The Court/Smith corridor doesn't need a full route because I know from experience that most residents would prefer to use the (F) or the (G). Sending the restored B71 to Downtown Brooklyn/Williamsburg would kill the problem of dealing with resident complaints about loss of bus service (which is arguably necessary for elderly and disabled riders since Bergen/Carroll are not ADA-accessible yet).

I still think nothing should be serving Smith/Court st like the old B75 did.... The MTA should have stuck to their guns with that, instead of running the B57 to the Smith-9th st. station (which was later extended to the IKEA, where it currently terminates).... The B57 is a bit of an afterthought, if we are talking about Cobble Hill & Red Hook to Downtown usage.... The MTA made their bed with this B61, now they have to lie in it.... Too many people are taking the B61 over the B57 - even when they live closer to the B57 (of those that take the bus I'm talking about; you're always gonna have those that shun the bus & take the (F); they're not a part of the conversation)!!! Really, the only sect of people that patronize the B57 much south of Downtown are the Red Hook patrons taking it to Smith-9th - and that is done so interchangeably with the same B61.... Lol.....

Quick question: Do any significant numbers of Red Hook residents walk over from Smith/9th to Court/9th so they have the option of the B57, or they only take it heading towards the subway?

This was essentially my original plan... using the new route to take over the southern half of the B62 is an interesting idea. I feel like this new B75 could also be plagued by reliability issues though as traffic on Court/Smith could get really bad.

The Court/Smith corridor doesn't need a full route because I know from experience that most residents would prefer to use the (F) or the (G). Sending the restored B71 to Downtown Brooklyn/Williamsburg would kill the problem of dealing with resident complaints about loss of bus service (which is arguably necessary for elderly and disabled riders since Bergen/Carroll are not ADA-accessible yet).

I've always thought the B71 should be extended through the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel to South Ferry (or somewhere in that general area). 

You could send the B69 through the Navy Yard (Cumberland Gate) to Williamsburg, instead of having it attempt to duplicate the B67 by terminating where it used to in Downtown Brooklyn. With all the routes in that general area going towards Downtown Brooklyn (both in Fort Green/Clinton Hill and Park Slope), you could afford to remove one and send it to a different hub (in this case Williamsburg) where the B62 is the only connection for that entire general area to.