Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

One change I would make---technically also a Manhattan change - is to divert the M15 local short turns that currently run to Pike and Division over the Williamsburg Bridge to the bridge plaza...to create an actually useful bridge route with connections deep into Manhattan on the East Side. It would also solve weekend ADA issues.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I'm going to do it like this b/c I'm not quoting everyone...

Shore Road conncerns:

I understand your fears, but the B10/B16 combined TPH is around 8-10 buses an hour at AM Peak, so that shouldn't be a problem. The B1 continues to terminate at 86th/4th.

Concerns about B5 being to close to B9:

As B35 said, there is a huge a$$ gap (my wording) in that space, and it cannot go ignored in any full borough proposal. I have considered having the route use 68/69th Streets, but they are much smaller streets.

Concerns about B5 shortturns:

It makes no sence to have them come from Marine Park/KP when the B2/100 (B30) does this already. They come from Bay Ridge.

Concerns about Avenue P routng:

Quentin Road... no. There is no connection with the (F), and it's harder to reach 65th Avenue.

Edited by ThrexxBus

One change I would make---technically also a Manhattan change - is to divert the M15 local short turns that currently run to Pike and Division over the Williamsburg Bridge to the bridge plaza...to create an actually useful bridge route with connections deep into Manhattan on the East Side. It would also solve weekend ADA issues.

Not as easy as you think, if local buses get stuck in traffic along the bridge, then the M15 LCL is screwed...

I meant under bridge before going to LIE. Q26/77 is not as bad if you actually look at Q77's ridership which is mostly peak outside its empty to jamacia I saw it you can't say otherwise. to disagree is one thing to throw in insults is another

Guys, take this over to the Queens thread...

unlike NJT64&68 MTA Q26&77 DO NOT have high ridership. Numbers dont lie

The Q77 gets over 8,000 riders per weekday and 2,300 riders per Saturday. Is it a lot compared to other NYCT routes? No, but it sure isn't low ridership by any means, especially when considering the cost-efficiency of the route.

Shore Road conncerns:

I understand your fears, but the B10/B16 combined TPH is around 8-10 buses an hour at AM Peak, so that shouldn't be a problem. The B1 continues to terminate at 86th/4th.

It makes no sence to have them come from Marine Park/KP when the B2/100 (B30) does this already. They come from Bay Ridge.

Quentin Road... no. There is no connection with the (F), and it's harder to reach 65th Avenue.

I said to use Quentin Road east of the (B)(Q) station. Who the hell mentioned anything about the (F)?

BTW, it's BPH (buses per hour), not TPH (trains per hour). ;)

And if the B30 is relevant to this, you should've included it on the map. I thought the B5 was the B2/B100.

I just don't like the fact that the route (the "B5") would use Av P. east of ocean......

if you (Threxx) want the route to run on Quentin, just have:

- the NB buses turn off quentin, up 17th, to av P, etc.

- the SB buses turn off av P, down 16th, to quentin, etc.....

The route definitely shouldn't take Avenue P when it hits the (B)(Q) station, since there's no back entrance. I'd have it take East 16th Street to Quentin Road eastbound, and Quentin Road to East 17th Street to Kings Highway to East 15th Street to Avenue P going westbound (to avoid Kings Highway as much as possible)

You know, I just realized you made the same suggestion I did..... I could've saved myself a couple characters.....

I'm still going to make the (below) point though.....

Nobody said anything about taking Quentin road in that direction..... The specificity was there on both our parts.....

I mean, you say you want people to give feedback, but it's like you respond to what you think people are alluding to.... that's not the first time you've done that either....

Fully read what people are saying before you react to their critiques.....

OK, I'm going to do it like this b/c I'm not quoting everyone...

Shore Road conncerns:

Concerns about B5 being to close to B9:

As B35 said, there is a huge a$$ gap (my wording) in that space, and it cannot go ignored in any full borough proposal. I have considered having the route use 68/69th Streets, but they are much smaller streets.

I chose not to use Avenue P east of Kings Highway (B)/(Q) because I feel Marine Park riders would be more inclined to ride here.

Edited post.

The Q77 gets over 8,000 riders per weekday and 2,300 riders per Saturday. Is it a lot compared to other NYCT routes? No, but it sure isn't low ridership by any means, especially when considering the cost-efficiency of the route.

And if the B30 is relevant to this, you should've included it on the map. I thought the B5 was the B2/B100.

Fail, again...

The B30 has seperate purposes. It's not relevant to the B2, 30, or 100, or I would have mentioned them in my original post. I'll be doing a similar showcase on those routes in the near future...

Edited by ThrexxBus

You know, I just realized you made the same suggestion I did..... I could've saved myself a couple characters.....

I'm still going to make the (below) point though.....

Nobody said anything about taking Quentin road in that direction..... The specificity was there on both our parts.....

I mean, you say you want people to give feedback, but it's like you respond to what you think people are alluding to.... that's not the first time you've done that either....

Fully read what people are saying before you react to their critiques.....

ok I already suggested ave P routing via B31 extention to bay plaza via ave P and bay parkway.

I said to use Quentin Road east of the (B)(Q) station. Who the hell mentioned anything about the (F)?

Interesting Q77 should then be watched more closely.

ok I already suggested ave P routing via B31 extention to bay plaza via ave P and bay parkway.

I think you quoted the wrong guy on that one... ;)

Anyway, when I post it, you'll see I have the B31 on Kings Highway as well as my new B2/B100 combo. I have another route to post though...

B59: Kings Highway/Empire Blvd/Flatbush Avenue

B59 buses travel between Cadman Plaza & Clarkson Avenue, all times. Some rush hour trips are extended to Kings Highway/Avenue H.

LINK:

https://maps.google....150821,0.308647

The main purposes of this route are to:

Provide East Flatbush, Lefferts Gardens & Crown Heights direct connections with Downtown Brooklyn.

To provide supplemental service to the heavily used corridor of Empire Boulevard.

To provide services to the businesses of Rutland Road.

To give patrons on Kings Highway direct school service from the (3) line & service to the (3) line.

F.A.Q's:

Q: My dear sir, I hate to intrude, but DOSEN'T THE CURRENT B7 GET ALMOST NO USAGE ON KINGS HIGHWAY? ARE YOU INSANE?

A: First, calm down. Second of all, the bus has more of a purpose than the currently outdated B7. As stated before, it connects with the (3), an area where many school children and workers will come to/from to commute. It is ridership that can be sustained, but only at rush hour, hence the part time extension...

Q: Where will the equipment for the route come from?

A: Mainly, the B41, as some buses will be taken off of that route, but also with transfers from ENY and Ulmer Park.

Q: What about the B43 and you're previous B10/B16 proposal?

A: The B43 will be changed, but will retain some service on Empire Boulevard. The B10/B16 will no longer run to Crown Heights, and the map will be amended as such.

That's all, feel free to ask any questions, other than the three big ones covered above.

Edited by ThrexxBus

I liked the B10/B16 proposal better. Ideally, I'd prefer the B12 be rerouted across Empire Blvd, but I guess a lot of ridership comes from the hospitals, so that won't work. Either that, or maybe extend the B14 down to Prospect Park (via Utica Avenue-Empire Blvd)

I guess the B43 could go down to Kings County Medical Center and maybe go supplement the B44 local down to The Junction (southbound buses could go down Brooklyn Avenue instead of Nostrand, since Nostrand would still have the +SBS+). NY Avenue is two-way anyway, so southbound buses could take Winthrop-NY-Lenox-Brooklyn Avenue.

For that matter, it might as well take over the extension to Avenue J & Ralph, instead of the B11 (though maybe that would make the route too long)

I liked the B10/B16 proposal better. Ideally, I'd prefer the B12 be rerouted across Empire Blvd, but I guess a lot of ridership comes from the hospitals, so that won't work. Either that, or maybe extend the B14 down to Prospect Park (via Utica Avenue-Empire Blvd)

I guess the B43 could go down to Kings County Medical Center and maybe go supplement the B44 local down to The Junction (southbound buses could go down Brooklyn Avenue instead of Nostrand, since Nostrand would still have the +SBS+). NY Avenue is two-way anyway, so southbound buses could take Winthrop-NY-Lenox-Brooklyn Avenue.

For that matter, it might as well take over the extension to Avenue J & Ralph, instead of the B11 (though maybe that would make the route too long)

B14 is too unreliable for any extensions. B12 also gets too much ridership on Clarkson and from hospitals.

You've also cracked part of my B43 proposal, but it will remain a secret until the reveal.

As for the B59, any direct comments?

ok I already suggested ave P routing via B31 extention to bay plaza via ave P and bay parkway.Interesting Q77 should then be watched more closely.

Wasn't talking to you.

B59: Kings Highway/Empire Blvd/Flatbush Avenue

B59 buses travel between Cadman Plaza & Clarkson Avenue, all times. Some rush hour trips are extended to Kings Highway/Avenue H.

Not the worst idea in the world (the line in blue on your map)..... hate to break this to you though, but you would just have riders disembarking for prospect park subway - taking B's & Q's to downtown brooklyn from the areas you have it serving east of flatbush av.... same reason the NB B41 usage tends to lessen a bit, north of empire.... same reason the 43 gets as much riders towards flatbush av, etc. as it does now......

the gray line on your map..... yeah it's a part time extension or whatever, but I'm just not seeing ppl. here in E. flatbush taking a bus w/ that roundabout routing straight to downtown brooklyn... it's not realistic to think that people would..... at best, riders along the part time extended portion would take take your route to ENY/Utica.....

I know you still want to provide that part of kings hwy w/ some sort of service (which by itself is nothin wrong with), but the extension down kings hwy to end at av H to me is questionable.... on the B7, kings hwy @ utica is weak.... of the riders that board SB B7's at church (and points south), they're taking buses to (at least) flatbush av.... The only set of students you'd be helping out are those tilden/meyer levin kids coming from around the (3) or w/e..... AFAIC, w/ the reroute I have the B7 doing, those particular students can walk from church...

Sorry, but overall (talking about the blue colored line; the core route), I'm questioning the [unique] usage b/w downtown brooklyn & empire.... Don't agree with taking buses off the 41 for this route at all - usage on the 41 garners way more riders south of empire than your "B59" east of flatbush av ever would...... furthermore, although I'm not thrilled about a cross empire route, the good news I guess is, you would get a set of riders taking buses b/w [empire/flatbush] & the (3).....

Edited by B35 via Church

^^ split post, from above ^^

Yeah, the current B12 route garners more usage than it would, if it were to run along empire.... that's why I strongly disagree w/ any B12 straightening along empire......

Quite a bit of ppl. think the 14 should be extended along eastern pkwy (personally, I think those buses would be almost as ill-used as the old 71's along empire, have that happen)...... But you extend the B14 to prospect park after having it serve utica av subway & you will have those riders that wait for 14's at utica av subway itself, cursing at you....

^^ The complaints regarding that would be very similar to those of the riders that waited at alabama for the WB B12's coming from city line (before the full time 12 truncation)..... Hell, the situation w/ the 14 would be worse b/c there'd more ppl. taking buses along empire, compared to the 12 that ran along liberty...... B12's took a while to get to alabama av b/c it lagged along liberty (it's usage however, was rather weak).... B14's would take a while to get to utica av subway from prospect park, due to the noticable/increased passenger intake along empire (empire, traffic-wise, wouldn't be a problem)....

B43 to KCH, I'm not goin down that road again.... let's just say I despise that idea....

B43 to georgetown makes zero sense..... It wouldn't be any better than sending 11's there, that's for sure....

Edited by B35 via Church

^^ The complaints regarding that would be very similar to those of the riders that waited at alabama for the WB B12's coming from city line (before the full time 12 truncation)..... Hell, the situation w/ the 14 would be worse b/c there'd more ppl. taking buses along empire, compared to the 12 that ran along liberty...... B12's took a while to get to alabama av b/c it lagged along liberty (it's usage however, was rather weak).... B14's would take a while to get to utica av subway from prospect park, due to the noticable/increased passenger intake along empire (empire, traffic-wise, wouldn't be a problem)....

B43 to KCH, I'm not goin down that road again.... let's just say I despise that idea....

B43 to georgetown makes zero sense..... It wouldn't be any better than sending 11's there, that's for sure....

But the thing is that if the passenger loads are high, but they're consistant (and traffic isn't a real issue), then I don't see how the bus would be too unreliable (Unless traffic along Utica gets bad)

As for the B43, I guess you think it should be left as is (You wouldn't want it sent anywhere else, would you?)

And out of curiosity, do you have any proposal to serve the Avenue J area in Georgetown? (I'm not trying to say anything like "How dare you deny those residents service" or anything, but just curious)

But the thing is that if the passenger loads are high, but they're consistant (and traffic isn't a real issue), then I don't see how the bus would be too unreliable (Unless traffic along Utica gets bad)

As for the B43, I guess you think it should be left as is (You wouldn't want it sent anywhere else, would you?)

And out of curiosity, do you have any proposal to serve the Avenue J area in Georgetown?

(I'm not trying to say anything like "How dare you deny those residents service" or anything, but just curious)

1- You either don't know, or are not understanding the mentality of those riders that are waiting over there for buses (the 14 or the 17).... and to be honest, I don't blame them for wanting the B14 right there @ the subway.... can't underestimate how many ppl. are riding from as far out as ENY (the neighborhood, not just ENY av) to Utica av subway.... Unreliability is not my argument/point of contention... It's the simple notion of having to wait longer for a bus.... More often than not, buses be right there at the corner of eastern pkwy/utica for the return trip EB.....

2- Yes, I think the B43 should remain serving Prospect park subway.

3 - Even if you were to be of that mindset......

Nope. I wouldn't bother extending any current route to that area..... and for sure, I wouldn't create a whole new route for that purpose....

Edited by B35 via Church

Why do they come from so far to board the IRT at Utica? Is it that they want to avoid waiting for the infrequent (C) at the IND local stations out there? Does it have to do with most of them wanting the (4) more than the (3) or something like that? It does not seem like the (3) is that infrequent but are they trying to avoid waiting for the (3) if the (3) is not frequent enough for them?

I mention the (3) because it is somewhat relevant, but the emphasis is on the (C) since the (C) is much closer to the B14 than the (3) is.

Why do they come from so far to board the IRT at Utica? Is it that they want to avoid waiting for the infrequent (C) at the IND local stations out there? Does it have to do with most of them wanting the (4) more than the (3) or something like that? It does not seem like the (3) is that infrequent but are they trying to avoid waiting for the (3) if the (3) is not frequent enough for them?

I mention the (3) because it is somewhat relevant, but the emphasis is on the (C) since the (C) is much closer to the B14 than the (3) is.

Regarding the B14, I never quite understood that either, to tell the truth.... and to boot, from what I depict, there seems to be more 14 riders heading south of sutter than north of sutter...... the (3) really should have even more ridership east of utica subway than what it currently does..... If you ask me, I think it has more to do w/ wanting the (4) express moreso than anything having to do w/ the fulton st. line....

And out of curiosity, do you have any proposal to serve the Avenue J area in Georgetown? (I'm not trying to say anything like "How dare you deny those residents service" or anything, but just curious)

Needless to say, you have the B47 that covers Georgetown/Ralph Avenue Area..

This is something that (MTA) bus may want to invest in the future... Cover the Avenue K segment. Something like a B100/103 variation, and it doesn't have to go downtown brooklyn.

Wasn't talking to you.

:lol:

Not the worst idea in the world (the line in blue on your map)..... hate to break this to you though, but you would just have riders disembarking for prospect park subway - taking B's & Q's to downtown brooklyn from the areas you have it serving east of flatbush av.... same reason the NB B41 usage tends to lessen a bit, north of empire.... same reason the 43 gets as much riders towards flatbush av, etc. as it does now......

the gray line on your map..... yeah it's a part time extension or whatever, but I'm just not seeing ppl. here in E. flatbush taking a bus w/ that roundabout routing straight to downtown brooklyn... it's not realistic to think that people would..... at best, riders along the part time extended portion would take take your route to ENY/Utica.....

I know you still want to provide that part of kings hwy w/ some sort of service (which by itself is nothin wrong with), but the extension down kings hwy to end at av H to me is questionable.... on the B7, kings hwy @ utica is weak.... of the riders that board SB B7's at church (and points south), they're taking buses to (at least) flatbush av.... The only set of students you'd be helping out are those tilden/meyer levin kids coming from around the (3) or w/e..... AFAIC, w/ the reroute I have the B7 doing, those particular students can walk from church...

Sorry, but overall (talking about the blue colored line; the core route), I'm questioning the [unique] usage b/w downtown brooklyn & empire.... Don't agree with taking buses off the 41 for this route at all - usage on the 41 garners way more riders south of empire than your "B59" east of flatbush av ever would...... furthermore, although I'm not thrilled about a cross empire route, the good news I guess is, you would get a set of riders taking buses b/w [empire/flatbush] & the (3).....

So, my read is 5/10 on my approval? I expect that people would get off at Prospect Park & at Sutter-Rutland. That's what I want people to do, the B59 serves as a sort of mutli-feeder into these subway lines. It also supplements the B43, the B12, and the buses around Sutter-Rutland. The route goes to Downtown for three reasons:

1. Those who might want a one seat ride can get it.

2. Buses leaving Atlantic-Barclays can be crowded, the B59 helps with these crowds.

3. Coming southbound, the B41 garners a decent amount of ridership that disembarks at Empire Boulevard. The B59 provides a second option.

Edited by ThrexxBus

Yeah, I don't know why in the hell he even directed that at me......

So, my read is 5/10 on my approval?

Don't understand what you're saying here; is that supposed to read "your approval " ?

I expect that people would get off at Prospect Park & at Sutter-Rutland. That's what I want people to do, the B59 serves as a sort of mutli-feeder into these subway lines. It also supplements the B43, the B12, and the buses around Sutter-Rutland. The route goes to Downtown for three reasons:

1. Those who might want a one seat ride can get it.

2. Buses leaving Atlantic-Barclays can be crowded, the B59 helps with these crowds.

3. Coming southbound, the B41 garners a decent amount of ridership that disembarks at Empire Boulevard. The B59 provides a second option.

I'm not questioning why you have it going downtown....

I'm questioning how many people would use such a route, if it were to go downtown....

It's an unanswerable question, since the route obviously doesn't exist......

There has been a recent "topic", for lack of a better word, on how to service the area of Georgetown. As you may remember, my B50 replaces Ocean Avenue service. The B49 is now a fish out of water. As my B40 replaces NY Avenue service, it cannot go there. (Well, as a cheaper alternative, it can, but I would rather have the B40 there.)

Here is what I did with the B49:

B49: Bedford Avenue/Avenue J

B49 buses travel between Fulton Street/Franklin Avenue and Rockaway Parkway stations. Some buses travel to/from Brooklyn College (2)/(5) station. Buses do not operate late nights.

MAP, IF YOU MAY.

F.A.Q's:

Q: *rage guy returns* Y U NO CUT BEDFORD SERVICE?

A: I didn't cut Bedford service because the current B49 garners a high amount of southbound ridership in Bedford Avenue.

Q: Where will the extra buses come from?

A: This is a current route, what extra buses?

Q: Why not turn straight up Flatlands @ Avenue J & Flatlands Avenue?

A: To service the strip malls along Ralph Avenue which do get a decent amount of buisness.

Q: Why go all the way to Rockaway Parkway Station?

A: The B6 and B82 are overcrowded. This is one of the B6's buisest segments.

That's all for now, keep the comments coming!

Yeah, I don't know why in the hell he even directed that at me......

That's why I quoted him... He got the wrong guy...

Don't understand what you're saying here; is that supposed to read "your approval " ?

I just woke up about a half-hour ago, sorry...

I'm not questioning why you have it going downtown....

I'm questioning how many people would use such a route, if it were to go downtown....

It's an unanswerable question, since the route obviously doesn't exist......

Not necessarily, since the B41 traverses the same corridor, by checking how many people ride b/w Downtown & Empire, you can gauge how many people would ride the B59.

Not necessarily, since the B41 traverses the same corridor, by checking how many people ride b/w Downtown & Empire, you can gauge how many people would ride the B59.

I am not talking about the people that would ride along the stint where it would parallel the B41.....

My original statement:

I'm questioning the [unique] usage b/w downtown brooklyn & empire....

By "unique", I'm referring to:

- the usage coming from the east towards downtown, riding north of empire/flatbush (not inclusive), or....

- the usage coming from downtown, etc., towards either eastern terminal, riding east of empire/flatbush (again, not inclusive)......

The unique part of your route is the portion where it doesn't follow/parallel the 41....

That usage is not measurable/gaugeable.....

Edited by B35 via Church

You either don't know, or are not understanding the mentality of those riders that are waiting over there for buses (the 14 or the 17).... and to be honest, I don't blame them for wanting the B14 right there @ the subway.... can't underestimate how many ppl. are riding from as far out as ENY (the neighborhood, not just ENY av) to Utica av subway.... Unreliability is not my argument/point of contention... It's the simple notion of having to wait longer for a bus.... More often than not, buses be right there at the corner of eastern pkwy/utica for the return trip EB.....

Me personally, all that matters is how long before we get moving. So waiting 5 minutes for a bus or having to sit on the bus for 5 minutes before we actually pull out of the terminal doesn't make much of a difference to me. But I could see how some people would prefer that.

Needless to say, you have the B47 that covers Georgetown/Ralph Avenue Area..

This is something that (MTA) bus may want to invest in the future... Cover the Avenue K segment. Something like a B100/103 variation, and it doesn't have to go downtown brooklyn.

The B47 doesn't provide east-west service, though.

But yeah, something like that would probably work. Looking at the map, it almost looks like the B103 could be rerouted to use Avenue J instead of Avenue H, but I guess Canarsie riders would break out the pitchforks for making their trip to the subway longer.

Out of curiosity, how much longer would the trip be if the buses went along Avenue J instead of Avenue H? (Anybody can answer this)

Q: Where will the extra buses come from?

A: This is a current route, what extra buses?

Q: Why not turn straight up Flatlands @ Avenue J & Flatlands Avenue?

A: To service the strip malls along Ralph Avenue which do get a decent amount of buisness.

Q: Why go all the way to Rockaway Parkway Station?

A: The B6 and B82 are overcrowded. This is one of the B6's buisest segments.

That's all for now, keep the comments coming!

It would require extra buses. You still have the B50 running along Ocean Avenue, so basically, you've renamed the B49 the B50, and created a new route to serve the area. Maybe service along the B50 could be reduced a little bit compared to the current B49, but you'd still need more buses overall.

Yeah, I could see why it goes along Ralph Avenue.

I guess I'll ask a question similar to the one I asked Future FLA B/O: Would the bus take a fast enough route to take any significant number of riders off the B6?