Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Needless to say, you have the B47 that covers Georgetown/Ralph Avenue Area..

This is something that (MTA) bus may want to invest in the future... Cover the Avenue K segment. Something like a B100/103 variation, and it doesn't have to go downtown brooklyn.

or the line currently on it can become open door then get a service boost $5.50 isnt nessesary except BX&SI. My style of transit doesn't modify the bus network as much as threxx's does I try to bring out the best of the current routes before resortig to new lines I try to avoid creating new lines and consolidate services expanding some lines to replace weak ones if possible.

1) Out of curiosity, how much longer would the trip be if the buses went along Avenue J instead of Avenue H? (Anybody can answer this)

2) Would the bus take a fast enough route to take any significant number of riders off the B6?

I'll answer it like this:

From Ralph/Flatlands to the junction....

- The current 103 route takes about 7 mins or so....

- addressing your 1st question.... It would add about 3-5 mins to the commute....

- addressing your 2nd question.... No, his "B49" wouldn't take any significant amt. of riders off the B6 b/c the commuting time saved would be negligible, at best.... The routing his "49" would take b/w the two aforementioned points, would infact be quicker than that of the one you're inquiring about in your 1st question though.....

The routing his "49" would take b/w the two aforementioned points, would infact be quicker than that of the one you're inquiring about in your 1st question though.....

I'm not seeing what you're saying. :wacko: I was asking if the B103 traveled via Flatlands Avenue-Ralph Avenue-Avenue J-Flatbush Avenue (I assume it's faster than Nostrand). His B49 would use that same route.

I'm not seeing what you're saying. :wacko: I was asking if the B103 traveled via Flatlands Avenue-Ralph Avenue-Avenue J-Flatbush Avenue (I assume it's faster than Nostrand). His B49 would use that same route.

Dude, look at his map again....

He has that 49 going on flatlands, ralph, Av J, NOSTRAND, flatbush.....

^^ That route is what I'm saying would be a little faster than the one you're asking about (flatlands, ralph, Av J, flatbush.....)

His route wouldn't have buses using flatbush b/w Av J & the junction..... the routing you're asking about, would.

Edited by B35 via Church

Dude, look at his map again....

He has that 49 going on flatlands, ralph, Av J, NOSTRAND, flatbush.....

^^ That route is what I'm saying would be a little faster than the one you're asking about (flatlands, ralph, Av J, flatbush.....)

His route wouldn't have buses using flatbush b/w Av J & the junction..... the routing you're asking about, would.

I was only asking because I thought Flatbush Avenue would be faster because it's more direct. If Nostrand Avenue is faster because there's less traffic, then buses should use that.

So since that's cleared up, how much would the travel time be affected by the routing via Nostrand & Avenue J vs. Avenue H?

I was only asking because I thought Flatbush Avenue would be faster because it's more direct. If Nostrand Avenue is faster because there's less traffic, then buses should use that.

So since that's cleared up, how much would the travel time be affected by the routing via Nostrand & Avenue J vs. Avenue H?

You said you didn't see what I was saying.... What you were asking about & what he mapped for his 49 were two different routings (which is what's now cleared up)..... I'm not questioning what you're asking & why you're asking it.... It's actually a good question, regarding this particular (sub) topic....

In any event:

- difference b/w his nostrand routing & (basically) the B103 (which runs along Av H) would result in commuting time increase of like 5 mins or so, maybe a little more.... the B103 along 'H is quick.

- difference b/w his nostrand routing & the av J routing you were asking about earlier would result in a commuting time decrease/savings of like maybe 2 mins or so..... nostrand b/w [av J & the junction] is a little quicker than flatbush b/w [av J & the junction]..... hence, the rather recent Q35 reroute (although I still don't care for the new terminal, which is a whole 'nother topic)....

times may vary of course, due to traffic light signal timings along certain streets or w/e.... I'm not going to get into that.... BrooklynIRT can if he wants to.....

People have mentioned it before, but the argument was that it gets stuck on narrow streets in Borough Park and an extension would only delay the route further.

I doubt it would get further delayed. The extension is no longer than about 5 or 7 minutes and the streets are traffic free. The buses could even make up some time there if there is enough of a cushion and reliability could even be improved. There certainly would be a demand for that service.

I doubt it would get further delayed. The extension is no longer than about 5 or 7 minutes and the streets are traffic free. The buses could even make up some time there if there is enough of a cushion and reliability could even be improved. There certainly would be a demand for that service.

Yeah, and those riders on those "traffic free" streets in flatlands will be waiting longer for a bus when the B11 gets stuck on 49th/50th streets (which they absolutely do) - thanks to some cheese bus dropping kids off or some self-righteous inconsiderate buffoon that opts to double park on a tight 1-way street, further impeding & exacerbating the B11's (and other vehicles) progress ..... That is what checkmate is referencing, which was an argument/point I brought up......

The demand for such an extension, or the added runtime of said extension isn't what's in question here....

B69: Terminal moved from Jay/Sands Street to Cadmen Plaza and Tillary Street.

I have one other idea for the B69. Terminal moved to Brooklyn Bridge Pier. Though your idea sounds feasible. Edited by Rick44

Why don't you ask me these questions about my routing? Things would be a bit clearer...

Nostrand Avenue is faster b/c of the reduced traffic. The route also serves more of Avenue J, and I don't have to worry about the left turn onto Avenue J @ Flatbush.

B69: Terminal moved from Jay/Sands Street to Cadmen Plaza and Tillary Street.

there's no point in having the 69 extended anywhere downtown (yeah, I know the destination sign says downtown bklyn., but it's more DUMBO [or to be even more specific, "RAMBO"])..... The route would be too indirect... consider this:

- Nobody south/west of flatbush av (pretty much meaning the park slope/windsor terr. riders) would take the 69 over the 67 (or the F) to get downtown, so forget about that....

(this is what I think the MTA wants to eventually have happen, considering what they did to the 67 service-wise.... but that's another topic)

- Every single route the 69 connects to, north/east of flatbush, all take you downtown..... riders residing in those areas would take all the other bus routes (of the one they're closest to, of course) downtown, or the subway, over taking the 69 that would run up vanderbilt, loop down via the farragut houses & jay st to get downtown..... You would just have 69's carrying air to/from downtown, instead of to/from Jay/Sands.....

speaking of the farragut houses, they may as well take the B57 & the B62 which would take them straight downtown - which is what's done now.... which is one reason I think the 57 should be cut back to downtown, but again, that's another topic..... In either case, you wouldn't need to extend the 69 downtown.....

I have one other idea for the B69. Terminal moved to Brooklyn Bridge Pier. Though your idea sounds feasible.

I had an old idea that had the 69 truncated, ending at the park av. side of the whitman houses.....

I think it's better off running on up to williamsburg bridge plz though - The B69 really has no business heading westward on flushing....

I was gonna write "Williamsburg Bridge Plaza" first, but I wanted to play devil's advocate. I think that WBP is a better ending for the B69. I also wonder if service should be brought to Greenpoint (the NY Waterway ferry stop over there). Would that be a needed extension? I'm not familiar with that area, and this is just an idea that I wanted to bring up to the forum.

I was gonna write "Williamsburg Bridge Plaza" first, but I wanted to play devil's advocate. I think that WBP is a better ending for the B69. I also wonder if service should be brought to Greenpoint (the NY Waterway ferry stop over there). Would that be a needed extension? I'm not familiar with that area, and this is just an idea that I wanted to bring up to the forum.

B69 is already a long route.. Extending it any further wouldn't do justice. Keep it downtown. IMO.

Going a bit off of the current topic (B69 & Fort Greene service, a re-showcase of the B50 will be last...) I bring up the topic of Kings County Hospital & SUNY Downstate (Herein referred to as "Clarkson Hospitals") k. Speaking from experience, traffic in the area can be a nightmare. My first proposition is, by having more buses going to the hospitals, more people might be inclined to take a bus to their appointments rather than a cab or driving.

Secondly, Clarkson Avenue is a busy corridor. Many travel from the area of Remsen Avenue towards Flatbush, and vice-versa. While the current B12 is adequate, it gets overcrowded as many use it as an alternative to the B35. A proper supplement is due.

Here is my plan to fix the above problems:

http://goo.gl/maps/SSIe (No fancy stuff this time, don't worry, it's safe.)

In a list, the changes:

1. B12 service between New York Avenue & Flatbush Avenue is rerouted to Linden Boulevard. This way, being at a close proximity to the B35, it can help take riders off of the overcrowded route while continuing to serve it's current purpose as a feeder to the Clarkson Hospitals.

1. B43 service is effectively increased by 50% to add more buses that will now serve the Clarkson Hospitals. The route will draw riders from the other routes, as many will transfer to the B12 or the B28 to head west. Empire Boulevard service remains untouched.

1. Finally, the new route, the B28. Originally created by Mysterious2train, I have made some changes to the routing and have added a branch. One may sigh at the fact that this is a super route, which I will not deny it is, but is is as such for a number of reasons. To explain, I must list my predicted ridership patterns.

Predicted ridership patterns:

On the Prospect Avenue branch:

• Ridership here will be low outside of rush hour, as people will most likely only use it as a connection with the (F), (G), and (Q) trains.

On the 9th Street branch:

• Ridership here is sustainable outside of rush hour, as this will provide much needed aid to the B61 route as another connection to IKEA, and as a connection to the (Q) train at Parkside Avenue.

Along Clarkson Avenue:

• Ridership here would be similar to the current B12, mostly people riding east-west between Remsen Avenue & Ocean Avenue.

From Canarsie:

• Here's the bow on it all: People from Canarsie will most likely take the (L), but from north Rockaway Parkway, many will ride along to Clarkson Avenue, to the Clarkson Hospitals, and to IKEA, albeit few.

*takes a bow* There is the showcase for the revamp of Clarkson Avenue service. Many will ask, is this even necessary? With traffic to Kings County Hospital only growing, it may not be pressing now, but it will be in the future.

Now, comments?

(And, if you are deathly afraid about clicking the short link, here's the long one: ;)https://maps.google.....07593,0.154324)

EDIT: Just noticed, there is a formatting error with the bullets & numbers, hopefully this is a one time glitch...

Edited by ThrexxBus

i guess your shorting the b61, if u run the b28 via 9th street & ppw?

I thought about that, and the B61 gets too much service from Downtown to force people to transfer. Plus, 9th Street needs the service.

On another note, I've been considering LTD service for the B28, and here's how it would work:

(IN NEXT POST)

Edited by ThrexxBus

B28, possible LTD service:

LTD service would run from Park Circle to Church Avenue/Rockaway Parkway.

LTD Stops:

Park Circle

Parkside/Ocean Avenues

Parkside/Flatbush Avenues

Clarkson/Rogers Avenues

Clarkson/Nostrand Avenues

Clarkson/New York Avenues (Eastbound only.)

Clarkson Avenue/E. 37th Street (Westbound only.)

Clarkson/Utica Avenues

Clarkson/Remsen Avenues

Rockaway Parkway/Clarkson Avenue

Rockaway Parkway/Church Avenue

(ALL STOPS TO ROCKAWAY TERMINAL.)

When LTD buses are running, all local buses use Prospect Avenue branch.

i agree just look at how often the b75 ran ? ltd might be a good idea mabe the propect avenue banch no stop from smith /9th stree to parkcircle via the highway?

Well, why have the locals go express? That's what'll be using that branch. I had an idea for a B28X that would do that, but I replaced it with short-turns at Park Circle.

Also, seeing you are a new member, welcome!

i agree just look at how often the b75 ran ? ltd might be a good idea mabe the propect avenue banch no stop from smith /9th stree to parkcircle via the highway?

I'm big on connectivity, and I could see how a route connecting the Windsor Terrace/South Slope area to the (R) would be beneficial.

But running along the Prospect isn't a bad idea, though.