Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

you have a point BUT READ CHECKMATE'S POST AGAIN. Ohh I forgot to mention for my BM5 plan it's off-peak and reverse peak fare will be dropped to $2.25. OR a zone based fare system will be introduced to express buses to allow distance based fares representing different travel patterns. ENY do not even speak of the slow B20/83 as an alternative. Zone based metrocards introduced 2.25 for intrabourugh travel express to manhattan peak $5.50

Honestly, it's not worth all the work to re-code the fareboxes, inform the public, and even get usage. People are still going to think it's an express bus. People aren't looking for Spring Creek from Howard Beach/Lindenwood. Why is that not getting through your head?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, it's not worth all the work to re-code the fareboxes, inform the public, and even get usage. People are still going to think it's an express bus. People aren't looking for Spring Creek from Howard Beach/Lindenwood. Why is that not getting through your head?

That isn't what I was proposing I never said BM5 via lindenwood I said allow ppl to use BM5 to various points on woodhaven blvd. Plus if fareboxes are recoded other lines can become more efficient through semi open door at select locations. However SI& BX are too well utilized to use this policy. BM5 doesnt go to howard beach and my BM5 idea doesnt send it there again READ BEFORE YOU POST I AM DONE I dont waste time with kids I dont care about what you think in reguards to express buses anyway get that through your head. Stick to local lines when you complete your plans till then quiet

lol @ editing a prior post in response to a reply of a post directly below it.....

you're done trying to explain something.... but then to edit that same reply 3 hours later to further reinforce your stance.....

Common sense isn't so common.

you have a point BUT READ CHECKMATE'S POST AGAIN. Ohh I forgot to mention for my BM5 plan it's off-peak and reverse peak fare will be dropped to $2.25. OR a zone based fare system will be introduced to express buses to allow distance based fares representing different travel patterns. ENY do not even speak of the slow B20/83 as an alternative. Zone based metrocards introduced 2.25 for intrabourugh travel express to manhattan peak $5.50

It's not worth it. People can just take the B13 or Q8, B20,B83 to a Bus operating at or near the respective Avenue they want. What's next, making the BxM3 a local.

my only objection is the 82 out of fb that alot on fb unless te 44 indeeds go to ga .. but if not the 82 better out of up or eny

btw did u renumber the seaview bound 17 (def needs better service )

the new b7 should also have weekend service n alot of run rspecially w the teaffic frm the L station n something done bout the confession

& it would only be right if i include something of the impossible like artic in am rush hour for the 42 ( even tho it will help greatly)

p.s plz excuse anything that you have already said cause i havent gon through the whole thread & not realky following it up to knoo

The B82 is split b/w Spring Creek & Flatbush, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Really, you want to make the BM5 a intraborough bus line..(I hope I'm not reading this). #IMDONE..

No need to put the BM5 on a off peak $2.25 base fare just to meet the demand for queens riders getting into Manhattan.

I don't know the riding standards of the QM15 which is supposed to cover most of this Woodhaven Blvd route into Far Rock.

I've said this previously.. There needs to be a increase of headways on the QM15 to meet the demands of the queens people going into manhattan.

Really, you want to make the BM5 a intraborough bus line..(I hope I'm not reading this). #IMDONE..

No need to put the BM5 on a off peak $2.25 base fare just to meet the demand for queens riders getting into Manhattan.

I don't know the riding standards of the QM15 which is supposed to cover most of this Woodhaven Blvd route into Far Rock.

I've said this previously.. There needs to be a increase of headways on the QM15 to meet the demands of the queens people going into manhattan.i

you have to see my other queens ideas Q38&Q64 to get a feel for what I am getting at The DHs are converted into reverse trips to the postal facility the garage is right there its better to have some ppl use it than to go empty DH along basically the same route. You can't ruin a service that people DO NOT USE you know but intraborough fare was an example. BUT Bm5 actually I am not suggesting for intraborough travellers in a sense. It is to attract and serve multiple groups in one line SE brooklyn to queens and beyond I will give more examples on other lines indirectly affected. I came up with the policy idea cause its ridership outside rush is so small semi open door super LTD is very unlikely to negatively affect much if any ppl at all. Also if manhattan bound ppl get attracted to off peak fare then overcrowding on subway may be slightly reduced. But other QM lines need to speed up first. queens blvd is anything BUT express.QM15 would be reduced to match lindenwood ridership getting out of BM5's way. Different stopping patterns would take effect at different times of day. more on this later

It's not worth it. People can just take the B13 or Q8, B20,B83 to a Bus operating at or near the respective Avenue they want. What's next, making the BxM3 a local.

NO BXM3 Is different and I have no plan for it UNLIKE BM5 PPL USE IT AT OFF PEAK!!! AGAIN THOSE OPTIONS ARE SLOW. This is comming from the guy suggesting merging NJT 64&68 HA!!! READ MY FOLLOWUP Open door stops only at 63rd drive & metropolitan and queens blvd NONE of the routes you mentioned go near there and read my Q38& 64 ideas then tie to woodhaven corridor read cause its obvious you cant I will explain further its a setup. you know whats not worth it those slow so called alternatives you came up with.

NO BXM3 Is different and I have no plan for it UNLIKE BM5 PPL USE IT AT OFF PEAK!!! AGAIN THOSE OPTIONS ARE SLOW. This is comming from the guy suggesting merging NJT 64&68 HA!!! READ MY FOLLOWUP Open door stops only at 63rd drive & metropolitan and queens blvd NONE of the routes you mentioned go near there and read my Q38& 64 ideas then tie to woodhaven corridor read cause its obvious you cant I will explain further its a setup. you know whats not worth it those slow so called alternatives you came up with.

Would you just leave the express bus lines alone?? Jesus Christ. If they're so terrible, then the (MTA) should seek community input on how to make them more efficient. The BxM3 for example suffers from traffic on the Major Deegan so that could be why folks don't use that as heavily as they did in the past. For routes like the BM5, I mean listen many express bus routes have lost ridership due to economy. That's just the way it is.

Would you just leave the express bus lines alone?? Jesus Christ. If they're so terrible, then the (MTA) should seek community input on how to make them more efficient. The BxM3 for example suffers from traffic on the Major Deegan so that could be why folks don't use that as heavily as they did in the past. For routes like the BM5, I mean listen many express bus routes have lost ridership due to economy. That's just the way it is.

in terms of economy you are right most of these ideas I came up with were from input from others sometimes city data

The BM5 doesn't stop at Queens Blvd. It goes on the LIE before reaching Queens Blvd. Don't suggest making the BM5 go on Queens Blvd, because that will screw up everything. The alternatives are there because no one will take a bus from Spring Creek to Woodhaven. Don't talk to me about my bad idea when the the 26 and 77 combo is just as worst. Then we will make every. bus limited for your plan to work.

Moving on from asinine open-door express bus ideas...

As most of us know already, the (MTA) has devised a sinister plan to destroy the B64 bus route. Recently, as highlighted in another thread, protesters spoke out about the truncation of the route to Bensonhurst. The route was also rerouted northward to 69th Street as well, cutting off another vital source of riders, the 86th Street subway station. In a compilation of mine & B35 via Church's ideas, I have made this map with the routes.

(BIG LINK)

Routes on map:

B5: Kings Plaza Shopping Center to Bay Ridge, 68 St-Shore Road. Late night buses terminate at Kings Highway station. Buses on this route are frequent, and short turns at Kings Highway are common.

B10: Crown Heights, Utica Avenue Station to Bay Ridge, Shore Road. Via 13th & 14th Avenues.

B16: Crown Heights, Utica Avenue Station to Bay Ridge, Shore Road. Via Fort Hamilton Parkway.

B64: Coney Island, Mermaid Loop to Bay Ridge, 86th Street Station. Via Bath Avenue & Poly Pl.

Here, the B10 has been created to replace the B64 on 13th Avenue and to help straighten the B16. Both branches will have their own headway of 15 minutes, for a combined headway of about 10 minutes, with some short-turns. The B5 has been created to supplement the B30 in Marine Park, service Avenue P, and replace Bay Ridge Avenue service.

F.A.Q's:

Q: Why dosen't the B5 use 68th & 69th Avenues?

A: 65th Avenue is a wider street that is easier for buses to maneuver along. Also, getting around the Gowanus Expressway would have been more of a pain than it is with the current plan. However, it is something being considered...

Q: Where will the extra buses for the B10 come from?

A: Spares, and some buses taken from the B16.

Q: Where will the extra buses for the B5 come from?

A: Most likely, either transfers to Flatbush Depot, or a bus order with Capital funds.

Q: Why does the B64 use Cropsey Avenue/Poly Pl instead of 86th Street?

A: This routing was created by B35 via Church, but from what I understand, the B1 will be used for northern riders, and the B64 for southern riders.

Q: What if Bensonurst/Bath Beach riders need to get to northern Bay Ridge?

A: Well, you can't please everyone. A three legged transfer would have to be made, but the number of these people are few, so we affect as little as possible while helping as many as possible.

That's all for now for this proposal.

Moving on from asinine open-door express bus ideas...

As most of us know already, the (MTA) has devised a sinister plan to destroy the B64 bus route. Recently, as highlighted in another thread, protesters spoke out about the truncation of the route to Bensonhurst. The route was also rerouted northward to 69th Street as well, cutting off another vital source of riders, the 86th Street subway station. In a compilation of mine & B35 via Church's ideas, I have made this map with the routes.

(BIG LINK)

Routes on map:

B5: Kings Plaza Shopping Center to Bay Ridge, 68 St-Shore Road. Late night buses terminate at Kings Highway station. Buses on this route are frequent, and short turns at Kings Highway are common.

B10: Crown Heights, Utica Avenue Station to Bay Ridge, Shore Road. Via 13th & 14th Avenues.

B16: Crown Heights, Utica Avenue Station to Bay Ridge, Shore Road. Via Fort Hamilton Parkway.

B64: Coney Island, Mermaid Loop to Bay Ridge, 86th Street Station. Via Bath Avenue & Poly Pl.

Here, the B10 has been created to replace the B64 on 13th Avenue and to help straighten the B16. Both branches will have their own headway of 15 minutes, for a combined headway of about 10 minutes, with some short-turns. The B5 has been created to supplement the B30 in Marine Park, service Avenue P, and replace Bay Ridge Avenue service.

F.A.Q's:

A: 65th Avenue is a wider street that is easier for buses to maneuver along. Also, getting around the Gowanus Expressway would have been more of a pain than it is with the current plan. However, it is something being considered...

A: Most likely, either transfers to Flatbush Depot, or a bus order with Capital funds.

A: This routing was created by B35 via Church, but from what I understand, the B1 will be used for northern riders, and the B64 for southern riders.

A: Well, you can't please everyone. A three legged transfer would have to be made, but the number of these people are few, so we affect as little as possible while helping as many as possible.

Wait a minute... First off the B5 isn't needed because there's the B9, which has the same exact destination. I used to use the B9 when I lived in Midwood for trips to Kings Plaza, and I can tell you the B5 is not needed.

Also what is with all of the routes going to Shore Road??? Finally folks in Bath Beach & Bensonhurst would be pissed with limited access to Bay Ridge. Those three neighborhoods along with Dyker Heights are pretty well intertwined.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

It's not a matter of having lost ridership. It never had strong ridership to begin with. (I'm not saying I agree with making it open-door, but I'm just pointing that out)

Routes on map:

F.A.Q's:

B5: Are those short-turns coming from Bay Ridge or from Kings Plaza? (And this matters especially for overnight service)

I assume this will be replacing the B2, right?

The route definitely shouldn't take Avenue P when it hits the (B)(Q) station, since there's no back entrance. I'd have it take East 16th Street to Quentin Road eastbound, and Quentin Road to East 17th Street to Kings Highway to East 15th Street to Avenue P going westbound (to avoid Kings Highway as much as possible)

In the Marine Park area, I'd have both the B2 (or B5) & B100 take Avenue R-East 36th Street-Fillmore Avenue, and then the B5 would go to Kings Plaza while the B100 continues to Mill Basin.

B10/B16: I assume the turnaround will be the same as the B17, right?

I don't think that southern part of Shore Road needs both routes serving it, but I guess since there would probably be issues with laying over near 86th & 4th, it's as good a place as any to terminate the routes.

B64: Yup.

BTW, it's 65th Street, not 65th Avenue.

As for the FAQs, I don't even think a 3-legged transfer is necessary, since there are a lot of north-south routes that they could use to save a transfer.

Wait a minute... First off the B5 isn't needed because there's the B9, which has the same exact destination. I used to use the B9 when I lived in Midwood for trips to Kings Plaza, and I can tell you the B5 is not needed.

Also what is with all of the routes going to Shore Road??? Finally folks in Bath Beach & Bensonhurst would be pissed with limited access to Bay Ridge. Those three neighborhoods along with Dyker Heights are pretty well intertwined.

The B9 goes along 60th Street, and the B5 would go along 65th Street (besides, the gap between the B4 & B9 is pretty far). And aside from that, the B1 used to go down to Shore Road, and now the B64 does the same thing.

You could just do what BrooklynBus suggested and run the route as a semi-limited along 65th Street, since the B9 is fairly close (have the buses stop every 2 avenue blocks instead of every avenue block). Or, you could send the B100 there instead of a route to Kings Plaza.

And I don't see your point with the routes to Shore Road.

The fact that both routes ("b5", b9) go from shore rd to kings plz. don't bother me.... The two routes would have a different riderbase east of like, McDonald av anyway..... I just don't like the fact that the route (the "B5") would use Av P. east of ocean......

if you (Threxx) want the route to run on Quentin, just have:

- the NB buses turn off quentin, up 17th, to av P, etc.

- the SB buses turn off av P, down 16th, to quentin, etc.....

I just don't see the ridership there for a B5... I mean the B9 is a route that isn't heavily used, so to have two routes like that... I dunno, but maybe I'm missing some sort of untapped ridership because several folks seem to be wild about having a bus on Avenue P & 65th street.

As for Shore Road, well wouldn't the B1 still run to Shore Road? If that's the case then three buses would go there under his plan which IMO is overkill.

As for the BxM3 the point was that ridership has gone down further.

I just don't see the ridership there for a B5... I mean the B9 is a route that isn't heavily used, so to have two routes like that... I dunno, but maybe I'm missing some sort of untapped ridership because several folks seem to be wild about having a bus on Avenue P & 65th street.

As for Shore Road, well wouldn't the B1 still run to Shore Road? If that's the case then three buses would go there under his plan which IMO is overkill.

- Depends on what you consider heavily used, but the B9 definitely garners loads.....

Anyway, at the very least, I think a route from Bay Ridge that goes onto serve (what I like to call) "commercial" kings hwy. would catch on.... south & east of that point though, is debatable.... that gap in bus service b/w 60th & bay ridge pkwy. is just too large to ignore (hence the 65th & av p routing) - even with the (N) along 65th for about 2 or 3 stops....

- I don't know what he has the B1 doing, I can't keep up w/ all his plans.... He's going to have to address that last point of yours

As for the BxM3 the point was that ridership has gone down further.

Just because the route runs from Bay Ridge to Kings Plaza doesn't mean that primary ridership base is people going between those two points. Most routes aren't meant to be rode the entire distance (They didn't send the S46 to the West Shore Plaza expecting all of the riders along South Avenue to ride it out to St. George. They expected the South Avenue users to get off in Mariners' Harbor and Port Richmond and make space for new riders to take their place).

It's the same thing here: You have riders going from Borough Park to Midwood (since both areas have large Jewish communities), and riders from Bay Ridge who just want to connect with the subway, and then riders from Kings Plaza who are likely mostly off before say, Coney Island Avenue, and so on. I doubt you're seeing a whole lot of riders who are actually riding from Bay Ridge all the way out to Kings Plaza. Are there some? Of course, but they don't make up the majority of all B9 riders.

It's like the S44 & S46 east of Elm Park (Because obviously west of there, they serve entirely different neighborhoods). They're meant for different purposes even though they both go from Elm Park to St. George. The S46 serves the higher-density areas along Castleton Avenue and provides connections to Victory Blvd, whereas the S44 serves the lower-density areas along Post & Henderson Avenues and provides connections to Richmond Terrace.

Obviously they don't start in Elm Park, but the point is still the same: They serve the same general area, but their ridership base is different, to a certain extent.

And he would only have 2 routes going down Bay Ridge Avenue. The B1 would take its current route, the B64 would go down Cropsey Avenue to 86th & 4th. It would just be the B5 and B9 going down there.

That was his point: That a grid system would generally work better. Instead of having a route go from 86th Street, up 13th Avenue, and across Bay Ridge Avenue (like the old B1), each street has its own route, which allows for better connectivity between routes (If you live by say, Bay Ridge Avenue and 13th Avenue, and want to go further east, you have to either walk further to the B4 or B9, or you have to take a circuitous route with the B64)

Just because the route runs from Bay Ridge to Kings Plaza doesn't mean that primary ridership base is people going between those two points. Most routes aren't meant to be rode the entire distance (They didn't send the S46 to the West Shore Plaza expecting all of the riders along South Avenue to ride it out to St. George. They expected the South Avenue users to get off in Mariners' Harbor and Port Richmond and make space for new riders to take their place).

It's the same thing here: You have riders going from Borough Park to Midwood (since both areas have large Jewish communities), and riders from Bay Ridge who just want to connect with the subway, and then riders from Kings Plaza who are likely mostly off before say, Coney Island Avenue, and so on. I doubt you're seeing a whole lot of riders who are actually riding from Bay Ridge all the way out to Kings Plaza. Are there some? Of course, but they don't make up the majority of all B9 riders.

It's like the S44 & S46 east of Elm Park (Because obviously west of there, they serve entirely different neighborhoods). They're meant for different purposes even though they both go from Elm Park to St. George. The S46 serves the higher-density areas along Castleton Avenue and provides connections to Victory Blvd, whereas the S44 serves the lower-density areas along Post & Henderson Avenues and provides connections to Richmond Terrace.

Obviously they don't start in Elm Park, but the point is still the same: They serve the same general area, but their ridership base is different, to a certain extent.

And he would only have 2 routes going down Bay Ridge Avenue. The B1 would take its current route, the B64 would go down Cropsey Avenue to 86th & 4th. It would just be the B5 and B9 going down there.

That was his point: That a grid system would generally work better. Instead of having a route go from 86th Street, up 13th Avenue, and across Bay Ridge Avenue (like the old B1), each street has its own route, which allows for better connectivity between routes (If you live by say, Bay Ridge Avenue and 13th Avenue, and want to go further east, you have to either walk further to the B4 or B9, or you have to take a circuitous route with the B64)

Yeah, but even so, the B9 doesn't get that crowded that I could see another route generating a decent amount of ridership a few blocks over, but like I said, who knows, maybe it's possible.

The BM5 doesn't stop at Queens Blvd. It goes on the LIE before reaching Queens Blvd. Don't suggest making the BM5 go on Queens Blvd, because that will screw up everything. The alternatives are there because no one will take a bus from Spring Creek to Woodhaven. Don't talk to me about my bad idea when the the 26 and 77 combo is just as worst. Then we will make every. bus limited for your plan to work.

I meant under bridge before going to LIE. Q26/77 is not as bad if you actually look at Q77's ridership which is mostly peak outside its empty to jamacia I saw it you can't say otherwise. to disagree is one thing to throw in insults is another