Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

I saw the LCL/LTD proposals for Brooklyn. Does the B60 need a limited. I mean, If I were to give another route limited stops, I wouldn't. Because I like the Brooklyn Limited stop pattern the way it is. All I would do is extend the span of the B6 and B82 limited

Not really, but it could use more service.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sound good , & maybe as i said before when bc/ta merges the seaview 17 goes to s.c or if not i think this totally needs to come out of flatbush

When MTA Bus and NYCT Bus merge, there should be a lot of depot moves. The (B100) is a big example of that. It should be in Flatbush Depot.

I have depot assignments for all routes including my own improvement ideas.

(B30 is new B100, B27 replaces B24...)

Grand Avenue: B13, B18, B27, B38, B48, B54, B62, Q38, Q54, Q59

Fresh Pond: B13, B20, B26, B38, B52, B53, B54, Q55, Q58

East New York: B7, B12, B18, B20, B25, B45, B65, B83, Q26, Q56

Spring Creek: B18, B81, B82, B103

Flatbush: B5, B40, B41, B43, B44, B46, B47, B49, B50, B55, B82

Ulmer Park: B1, B3, B4, B5, B6, B30, B31, B33, B36, B64, B74

Jackie Gleason: B9, B10, B11, B16, B23, B28, B35, B37, B43, B63, B67, B68, B69, B70, B71

Responding to ACEVE14:

Your B6LTD idea doesn't need to reach all the way to it's last stop on the western end.

Take a look at my recent thread on expanding B6 LTD operations to Kings Highway (thread was relabeled to 86th Street by a moderator).

For the B8 limited service - there's really no need for all day LTD service. I have a thread created a few weeks ago with a proposal of introducing limited service to the east-west route, which only needs to operate weekday only during rush hours, bidirectional.

Your deduction of B41 LTD service to Bergen Beach is absolute ludicrous. During weekday rush hours, most service is diverted to Bergen Beach because of the massive ridership demand. Plenty of folks from Downtown deserve a straight shot ride on an LTD directly into Bergen Beach. Period.

However, the service to Kings Plaza during the day needs to be re-evaluated at some point. As an operator on the B46, I'll sit at Kings Plaza until it's my time to go in and load, and notice to my left the amount of people waiting for a B41 to show up - local or limited. Service has been deprived there at the least. It was so ridiculous one day the KP SLD took an operator from the 46 to do a ghost run on the 41 just to fill in the gap.

Your idea for expanding LTD service to Kings Plaza is not needed. I actually spoke with one of my boys about this about two weeks ago (he'll chime in later on this, probably) and we both agreed to extend it further south of Avenue H, but he's proposing Avenue N, while I'm going with Flatlands Avenue. This topic is a bit iffy, though... Then again, many on Utica go out their way to walk to the nearest LTD stop on the 46 just to avoid riding local, so either end-point I mentioned would be OK I suppose.

New 46LTD locations after Ave H would be Flatlands Avenue (B82), then Avenue N (B41).

For the B49LCL/LTD - restructuring the route to operate on Bedford Avenue both ways between Franklin Ave & Foster Avenue only is my idea, if MTA is still planning to send the 44SBS up Rogers Avenue. Also rush hour bidirectional LTD service.

The B82LTD should actually operate bidirectional between 6AM-7PM, weekdays only as is now.

I agree with your plans on the B6 LTD. I also agree with your opinion about a B8 LTD, it's as unnecessary as the B49 LTD during rush hour or otherwise, in my opinion. I definitely do not agree with your opinion on the B41 LTD's out of Bergen Bch. I believe that those Limited's are better served at Kings Plaza, as LCL's and LTD's, because of the lack of B41's at Kings Plaza. No comments on the B46 or B44. B82 LTD service should be expanded. It's a beneficial service no doubt and I agree with the way you would handle expansion.

I definitely do not agree with your opinion on the B41 LTD's out of Bergen Bch. I believe that those Limited's are better served at Kings Plaza, as LCL's and LTD's, because of the lack of B41's at Kings Plaza.

Alright, but you don't solve the solution by depriving Bergen Beach service especially when those buses during PM rush hour are pratically crush loaded heading down Avenue N / Veterans Avenue. I know because I used to operate the 41 when on the Extra List. There's also demand into Bergen Beach in which we have shuttle runs operating from the Junction to handle the ridership demand.

To solve the issue Kings Plaza would basically mean reevaluating adding additional service to/from Kings Plaza.

Alright, but you don't solve the solution by depriving Bergen Beach service especially when those buses during PM rush hour are pratically crush loaded heading down Avenue N / Veterans Avenue. I know because I used to operate the 41 when on the Extra List. There's also demand into Bergen Beach in which we have shuttle runs operating from the Junction to handle the ridership demand.

To solve the issue Kings Plaza would basically mean reevaluating adding additional service to/from Kings Plaza.

However, where would these additional buses go? KP is crowded as is!

However, where would these additional buses go? KP is crowded as is!

I said they need (and I meant) to add additional service to Kings Plaza, but from what I see service is sufficient enough. The problem is the service going to Kings Plaza gets deprived some point on it's northern end heading to KP. It happens often, but SLDs need to see what's going on.

All northbound B49 service, whether they expand the B49 LT or not, should just use New York Ave if the B44 local on New York by itself turns out to be insufficient. Leave Rogers without local service. Probably not a permanent solution, but costs nothing and might be better than MTA's proposal which might equate to too much service on Rogers.

All northbound B49 service, whether they expand the B49 LT or not, should just use New York Ave if the B44 local on New York by itself turns out to be insufficient. Leave Rogers without local service. Probably not a permanent solution, but costs nothing and might be better than MTA's proposal which might equate to too much service on Rogers.

No, the only real thing that makes NY Ave/Marcy Ave need bus service is Kings County Hospital & the (G) train. Rodgers Avenue has a decent amount of businesses that need the service.

I had two proposals:

A new B40 route, b/w Greenpoint & Brooklyn College, via NY, Marcy, Nostrand, and Union Avenues. This service would come out of the B44 local.

A B49 reroute to NY Avenue via Avenue D.

In either scenario, B44 local buses are rerouted to Rogers Avenue.

I have depot assignments for all routes including my own improvement ideas.

(B30 is new B100, B27 replaces B24...)

Grand Avenue: B13, B18, B27, B38, B48, B54, B62, Q38, Q54, Q59

Fresh Pond: B13, B20, B26, B38, B52, B53, B54, Q55, Q58

East New York: B7, B12, B18, B20, B25, B45, B65, B83, Q26, Q56

Spring Creek: B18, B81, B82, B103

Flatbush: B5, B40, B41, B43, B44, B46, B47, B49, B50, B55, B82

Ulmer Park: B1, B3, B4, B5, B6, B30, B31, B33, B36, B64, B74

Jackie Gleason: B9, B10, B11, B16, B23, B28, B35, B37, B43, B63, B67, B68, B69, B70, B71

my only objection is the 82 out of fb that alot on fb unless te 44 indeeds go to ga .. but if not the 82 better out of up or eny

btw did u renumber the seaview bound 17 (def needs better service )

the new b7 should also have weekend service n alot of run rspecially w the teaffic frm the L station n something done bout the confession

& it would only be right if i include something of the impossible like artic in am rush hour for the 42 ( even tho it will help greatly)

p.s plz excuse anything that you have already said cause i havent gon through the whole thread & not realky following it up to knoo

No, the only real thing that makes NY Ave/Marcy Ave need bus service is Kings County Hospital & the (G) train.

Do that many people really use the B44 to get from Flatbush, Crown Heights, and East Flatbush all the way up to the (G)?

What is needed is something cost-neutral, ideally. New York Ave service is more important for people going to Fulton and points south since the B44 is on Bedford north of Fulton right now. People who want to go north of Fulton (and at Fulton usually half the bus empties out, right?) or some place along Rogers or west of it are not in bad shape if they have to walk to Rogers for the SBS, because with the B44 LT they traverse Fulton from NY to Bedford by going through bad traffic.

For the SBS they just traverse whatever east-west block they are on by walking, not sitting in traffic, not going through the S-turn, and then riding a SBS bus that goes through less traffic than the B44 does now and (except for the cut stops) leaves them in the same place as the B44 LT does now. Again this is all for the people who want to go north of Fulton and, depending on the destination in that area, those who want Fulton itself. **They really should re-open those Bedford Ave entrances/exits on the (A)(C)** If the person does not want to walk to the SBS stops and wants to go north of Fulton s/he just has to use the NY Ave service (B44 local or B49 if it goes there or your B40 if it goes there or w/e).

Edited by BrooklynIRT

Do that many people really use the B44 to get from Flatbush, Crown Heights, and East Flatbush all the way up to the (G)?

Without hesitation, absolutely not....

If we're talkin about service to a subway, the farthest those riders are taking the B44 to, is to fulton st for the A/C.... Current ridership patterns dictate this....

I gotta say the main ppl. using the G (once it gets out of downtown brooklyn) are not people in droves that are taking buses to get to it.... It's the residents that live w/i reasonable walking distance to the closest station they're nearest to..... I can say that for the park slope portion or the clinton hill/bed stuy/williamsburg portion....

If we're talkin about service to a subway, the farthest those riders are taking the B44 to, is to fulton st for the A/C.... Current ridership patterns dictate this....

I'd have to agree that most of the crowd discharge at Nostrand Avenue & Fulton Street for the A/C trains, but you do have some folks who dependent on the G train to get into Queens, such as students that attend Laguardia CC, and those folks who work in the Long Island City area, or nearby it.

It's not a large percentage, but it's there, somewhat.

I'd have to agree that most of the crowd discharge at Nostrand Avenue & Fulton Street for the A/C trains, but you do have some folks who dependent on the G train to get into Queens, such as students that attend Laguardia CC, and those folks who work in the Long Island City area, or nearby it.

It's not a large percentage, but it's there, somewhat.

Yes, of course.....

Yes, that makes NO sense.... it's 4 riders that's paying for EXPRESS service to Manhattan.

The MTA's not turning express buses into open door super LTD's during off peak hours.....

End of discussion.

There's no sense in it.... It's nothin more than him trying to further justify marring express bus service....

I have to say BULLSHIT if its just 4 riders it's NOT WORTH RUNNING GET on it then you will get it When BM5 had no queens stops it was no faster than a friggin QM15 even the Q53 was keeping up with it so making the turnover higher by allowing drop offs in queens is NOT gonna slow down this line that much heck most off peak if any riders would barely notice a difference in travel time anything to increase ridership should be explored even if it means changing the rules. MTA never heard of the idea to begin with. Observe travel traffic flows then REREAD my post multiple times then you will get it. Nyc block by block works BUT a regional element must also be explored as well. If you aren't s able to grasp a simple concept then leave it alone NOT my problem if you can't understand I am done trying to simplify it for you. dont care cause you wouldn't call it asinine if you understood the traffic flow I won't bother arguing cause I made my stance AND I STAND BY IT. DO U have a way to increase ridership on that line at off peak if not then can it. Don't shut down an idea unless you have a better one. Not personal on your end but you know my stance you don't have to agree with me. Ohh I observed several BM5s with less than 4 ppl at linden and 79th some with just 1 person I REST MY CASE. Adding ridership is never asinine cause if you read my posts and used the line often you would realize that the plan affects almost NOBODY going to manhattan cause there are no people going to manhattan at those times the $5.50 fare isn't exactly encouraging ridership. Edited by qjtransitmaster

I have to say BULLSHIT if its just 4 riders it's NOT WORTH RUNNING GET on it then you will get it When BM5 had no queens stops it was no faster than a friggin QM15 even the Q53 was keeping up with it so making the turnover higher by allowing drop offs in queens is NOT gonna slow down this line that much heck most off peak if any riders would barely notice a difference in travel time anything to increase ridership should be explored even if it means changing the rules. MTA never heard of the idea to begin with. Observe travel traffic flows then REREAD my post multiple times then you will get it. Nyc block by block works BUT a regional element must also be explored as well. If you aren't s able to grasp a simple concept then leave it alone NOT my problem if you can't understand I am done trying to simplify it for you

dude, I get the shit - I simply don't agree with the implementation of it because it is absolutely asinine....

No express buses running open door during off peak hours... The hell with whatever else you're running off at the mouth about.....

Give it a rest already.....

Just use the Q52/Q53. End of story. BM5 should stay as it is. Who the hell wants to take a limited bus for $5.50 when everyone will jump on the cheaper $2.25 Q52/Q53

I'm not saying I agree with it, but the purpose wasn't for intra-Queens travel. It was for Woodhaven Blvd riders who are going out to East NY/Starrett City.

Yes, they are.... but quiet is as kept and/or contrary to belief, they're not well ridden around those times.... after like midnight, you won't see too many (if any) vans anyway.... you'll just see the actual cars - some of those sons of guns work damn near all day (including through the night/early mornin hrs).... during the early mornin hrs, what they do is they run up/down church av (from either side) until they get to utica, then they'll do utica from church to eastern pkwy.... what they do for the return trip may vary - some will run down utica & turn on church & some will remain on utica & run to avenue H....

FYI, the utica vans run to kings plaza during the day.... the utica cars go no further than avenue H....

Also contrary to belief, utica av in certain parts gets eerily quiet around 2/3 am.... almost too quiet IMO....

Obviously bus ridership isn't booming, but hourly headways I agree is the pits.... should be 30 min late night headways like what's as is on the M15 (going by what Nx says).......

just saw this post.....

Well I don't know about how late night ridership is on the upper half of the route, but on the lower half of the route (south of utica av subway), the 46 isn't crowded around 3am by time it hits church.... well, the SB run isn't.... The NB bus may reach around 1/2 full by time it hits church..... only way you'll see an SRO late night bus on the 46 is if some drunkards are coming back from some party (usually from that restaurant over on av K, on the same side of that dunkin donuts) or this other night club over on Av J/utica...... and it's usually on a saturday night too.

on a weekday, it's around 4am where you start seeing 46's get crowded (again, around snyder/church, since that's where I'm around).....

To kinda clarify things a bit with the 46, but I've done the hawk on the 46 before, and believe me, even at 2 & 3am, you'll have a fully loaded bus for the most part, especially on Saturday nights (into Sunday morning), usually heading southbound, where half the bus will clear out at Church Avenue, and it's pretty much drop-offs only afterwards. You may pick up a soul or two at Avenue H which are transfers from the B6, but again, drop-offs only.

Between 1am and 3am on the NB side you'll have a 70-80% load by Church Avenue, discharge at Eastern Parkway, and load right back to about 70% with folks getting off along Malcolm X, then have about 5 folks to drop-off along Broadway heading to the bridge.

The 46 definitely needs a 20-30 min. headway overnights.

To kinda clarify things a bit with the 46, but I've done the hawk on the 46 before, and believe me, even at 2 & 3am, you'll have a fully loaded bus for the most part, especially on Saturday nights (into Sunday morning), usually heading southbound, where half the bus will clear out at Church Avenue, and it's pretty much drop-offs only afterwards. You may pick up a soul or two at Avenue H which are transfers from the B6, but again, drop-offs only.

Between 1am and 3am on the NB side you'll have a 70-80% load by Church Avenue, discharge at Eastern Parkway, and load right back to about 70% with folks getting off along Malcolm X, then have about 5 folks to drop-off along Broadway heading to the bridge.

The 46 definitely needs a 20-30 min. headway overnights.

The saturday night/sunday morning buses I know about....

The weekday SB 46's (around church), the buses that arrive around 1-2 am, yeah those be packed, and a lot of those pax empty out at church itself.... that I see & know about.... But the ~ 3am SB bus on a weekday, by time that hits church, the most I ever see it at is 1/2 full..... the ~ 3am NB bus tends to have more ppl. on the bus (compared to the SB run) itself heading towards the subway(s)....

When I said utica av is quiet around 2/3am, I was referring to the physical street itself, not the B46....

I'll take your word for it on the ridership habits/distribution of pax north of eastern pkwy around those times....

When I said utica av is quiet around 2/3am, I was referring to the physical street itself, not the B46....

I'm usually off the bus by 1:30am on the weekends, and on Sunday nights during my last trip (SB), I'll have about 20 folks on the bus by the time I leave Avenue H, just dropping off thereafter, and the streets are dead... All you see is this big bus roaring down Utica Avenue with not a motorist in sight (half the time).

Just use the Q52/Q53. End of story. BM5 should stay as it is. Who the hell wants to take a limited bus for $5.50 when everyone will jump on the cheaper $2.25 Q52/Q53

you have a point BUT READ CHECKMATE'S POST AGAIN. Ohh I forgot to mention for my BM5 plan it's off-peak and reverse peak fare will be dropped to $2.25. OR a zone based fare system will be introduced to express buses to allow distance based fares representing different travel patterns. ENY do not even speak of the slow B20/83 as an alternative. Zone based metrocards introduced 2.25 for intrabourugh travel express to manhattan peak $5.50