Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

Just one thing: If the issue with the B43 to the hospitals is the fact that the riders would lose a connection to the Brighton Line, couldn't they be extended across to the Brighton Line? If the issue is too many buses along Clarkson, the buses could take Winthrop-NY Avenue-Linden Blvd-Caton Avenue, and then turn around via Ocean-St. Pauls Court-St. Pauls Place-Caton.

I don't understand the B43 route near the hospital so I don't see how it causes a lost connection to the Brighton line. I also don't think that too many buses on Clarkson is an issue.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand the B43 route near the hospital so I don't see how it causes a lost connection to the Brighton line. I also don't think that too many buses on Clarkson is an issue.

* current B43 - serves the brighton

* proposed B43 to KCH - wouldn't serve the brighton

He's putting 2 & 2 together.... having the 43 serve KCH & the brighton

* current B43 - serves the brighton

* proposed B43 to KCH - wouldn't serve the brighton

He's putting 2 & 2 together.... having the 43 serve KCH & the brighton

Yeah, that was the idea.

If the bus took Winthrop to Albany and then took Clarkson from there (instead of going along NY Avenue and bypassing the "front" of the hospitals), would there be any issues with that?

Yeah, that was the idea.

If the bus took Winthrop to Albany and then took Clarkson from there (instead of going along NY Avenue and bypassing the "front" of the hospitals), would there be any issues with that?

If the bus didn't stop infront of the main entrance, then there's no point in the extension in the first place.

The B82 is the embodiment of an unreliable route. Long, winded, and slow. In this proposal, I will truncate the B82 at an earlier point and also do a number of other things.

MAP: https://maps.google....075434,0.154324

1. The B82 will be truncated to Coney Island Avenue. Limited service will be eliminated. If service continues to be unreliable, then it will be re-instated.

2. The B2 & B100 are combined to create a more reliable, more frequent route called the B30. This route will be extended along Kings Highway to Coney Island, providing a number of benefits to Marine Park and Mill Basin riders:

• A direct connection to other subway lines, such as the (F), (D), and (N).
  • A direct connection with the Caesar's Bay Shopping Center, which will be utilized heavily on weekends.
  • A direct connection with Coney Island, the amusement parks, and the other bus and subway services.

3. The B31 is also extended along Kings Highway and is streamlined/interlined with the B30. The same benefits above apply to Gerritsen Beach riders.

4. To provide a direct east-west connection to Coney Island, half of B6 trips are extended to Coney Island.

For more detailed information about frequencies and running times, consult the following images:

Screen%20shot%202012-06-01%20at%2010.17.38%20AM.png

Screen%20shot%202012-06-01%20at%2010.17.54%20AM.png

Late night service operates between Kings Highway (B) / (Q) station and Coney Island and is labeled B30.

The final part of this proposal is a new route, the B33, which serves to supplement the B36 on weekdays. It provides Sheepshead Bay another connection to subway services. The B33 is infrequent, only running every 15 minutes at rush hours. It is also weekdays only.

This concludes this proposal. Comments?

Edited by ThrexxBus

The B82 is the embodiment of an unreliable route. Long, winded, and slow. In this proposal, I will truncate the B82 at an earlier point and also do a number of other things.

1. The B82 will be truncated to Coney Island Avenue. Limited service will be eliminated. If service continues to be unreliable, then it will be re-instated.

2. The B2 & B100 are combined to create a more reliable, more frequent route called the B30. This route will be extended along Kings Highway to Coney Island, providing a number of benefits to Marine Park and Mill Basin riders:

• A direct connection with the Caesar's Bay Shopping Center, which will be utilized heavily on weekends.

• A direct connection with Coney Island, the amusement parks, and the other bus and subway services.

3. The B31 is also extended along Kings Highway and is streamlined/interlined with the B30. The same benefits above apply to Gerritsen Beach riders.

4. To provide a direct east-west connection to Coney Island, half of B6 trips are extended to Coney Island.

For more detailed information about frequencies and running times, consult the following images:

Late night service operates between Kings Highway (B) / (Q) station and Coney Island and is labeled B30.

The final part of this proposal is a new route, the B33, which serves to supplement the B36 on weekdays. It provides Sheepshead Bay another connection to subway services. The B33 is infrequent, only running every 15 minutes at rush hours. It is also weekdays only.

Why eliminate the limited stop B82? I would just short turn some buses which would probably help improve reliability. As for the B33, where does it run to and from? :huh:

Why eliminate the limited stop B82? I would just short turn some buses which would probably help improve reliability. As for the B33, where does it run to and from? :huh:

It's on the map, but:

Sheepshead Bay, Avenue U/Knapp Street

Bensonhurst, Harway Avenue

Doing this with the B30/31 improves service all around and solves some problems, like the closeness of the B2/100.

It's on the map, but:

Sheepshead Bay, Avenue U/Knapp Street

Bensonhurst, Harway Avenue

Doing this with the B30/31 improves service all around and solves some problems, like the closeness of the B2/100.

The B33 idea isn't a bad one. Not sure how much ridership it would garner but starting it as a rush hour type of route is a good idea. If anything it would supplement the B49 and B36 and give folks in the Eastern part of Sheepshead Bay some sort of bus route. On the Western part on Avenue X it would obviously steal some riders from the B1 here and there, but I'm not sure how decent it would do in Western Brooklyn.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

The B33 idea isn't a bad one. Not sure how much ridership it would garner but starting it as a rush hour type of route is a good idea. If anything it would supplement the B49 and B36 and give folks in the Eastern part of Sheepshead Bay some sort of bus route. The west on Avenue X it would obviously steal some riders from the B1 here and there, but I'm not sure how decent it would do in Western Brooklyn.

I agree with all of this. If demand increases, I would start by increasing weekday service, and, if possible, adding weekend service.

Anyway, I've moved on from that topic, and I'm promoting this:

The B30 route you have sounds like a good idea. The truncation of the B82 is something I have never been a fan of. However your idea of extending some trips to Coney Island seems like a plausible replacement, though I would modify the structuring of trips to C.I. I think the B6 LTD should be extended to C.I., with Local buses making the short trips to Bensonhurst via it's current routing. I would have B6 LTD service west of C.I. Avenue extended to Bay 38th St/Ceasar's Bay as follows; McDonald Av (F), 60th St, W 8th St (N), Bay Ridge Pkwy, 86th St, Benson Av (only WB, cause you can catch the B64 at Bay 38th St going EB), Ceasar's Bay (WB)/Bay 38th St (EB), then all stops.

If the B30 was to be implemented in reality, it should be split between Flatbush and Ulmer Park.

If the B6 was changed in the way I just mentioned, it should be split between ENY and Ulmer Park.

Your idea for the B82 as mentioned, leaves me with the feeling that it should be extended to Gateway Mall, as well as operated out of Spring Creek.

The B31 should be kept as is, they can transfer for the B30 @ Kings Highway Station. It seems to require extra buses that the MTA might not have.

The B33 sounds interesting, and I agree with Via Garibaldi 8, not sure about passenger gains, but it's a relief for the B36, and a ways to relieve the elimination of the B4. Though the B4 should be restored reguardless, this is an alternative of some sorts. This should be run out of Ulmer Park.

Edited by Rick44

The B30 route you have sounds like a good idea. The truncation of the B82 is something I have never been a fan of. However your idea of extending some trips to Coney Island seems like a plausible replacement, though I would modify the structuring of trips to C.I. I think the B6 LTD should be extended to C.I., with Local buses making the short trips to Bensonhurst via it's current routing. I would have B6 LTD service west of C.I. Avenue extended to Bay 38th St/Ceasar's Bay as follows; McDonald Av (F), 60th St, W 8th St (N), Bay Ridge Pkwy, 86th St, Benson Av (only WB, cause you can catch the B64 at Bay 38th St going EB), Ceasar's Bay (WB)/Bay 38th St (EB), then all stops.

If the B30 was to be implemented in reality, it should be split between Flatbush and Ulmer Park.

If the B6 was changed in the way I just mentioned, it should be split between ENY and Ulmer Park.

Your idea for the B82 as mentioned, leaves me with the feeling that it should be extended to Gateway Mall, as well as operated out of Spring Creek.

The B31 should be kept as is, they can transfer for the B30 @ Kings Highway Station. It seems to require extra buses that the MTA might not have.

The B33 sounds interesting, and I agree with Via Garibaldi 8, not sure about passenger gains, but it's a relief for the B36, and a ways to relieve the elimination of the B4. Though the B4 should be restored reguardless, this is an alternative of some sorts. This should be run out of Ulmer Park.

There is a thread about an extension of B6 LTD service, so you can go find that if you want...

The B6 shouldn't go to CI full time, it is long enough already and there is no more terminal space for full time buses. If you want CI other than in the summer, you can transfer to the B30 or 31.

Yes, the B30 is split b/w Flatbush & UP, I posted my proposed depot assignments, the B31 is also split. The B6 will remain at Ulmer. The B82 is also split b/w Spring Creek & Flatbush.

NO B82 TO GATEWAY. I despise that idea, and the B83 is more than enough.

The B31 service is only increased slightly at rush hours and on weekends, about 1-4 extra buses. It will not cost too much. If you looked at the current B82 service, the B30 as is isn't enough to replace that service.

The B33 is a relief route for the most part, but I do agree, B4 service should be restored, and I say this in my full plan. (A Google Doc, link is earlier in thread...)

Edited by ThrexxBus

There is a thread about an extension of B6 LTD service, so you can go find that if you want...

The B6 shouldn't go to CI full time, it is long enough already and there is no more terminal space for full time buses. If you want CI other than in the summer, you can transfer to the B30 or 31.

Yes, the B30 is split b/w Flatbush & UP, I posted my proposed depot assignments, the B31 is also split. The B6 will remain at Ulmer. The B82 is also split b/w Spring Creek & Flatbush.

NO B82 TO GATEWAY. I despise that idea, and the B83 is more than enough.

The B31 service is only increased slightly at rush hours and on weekends, about 1-4 extra buses. It will not cost too much. If you looked at the current B82 service, the B30 as is isn't enough to replace that service.

The B33 is a relief route for the most part, but I do agree, B4 service should be restored, and I say this in my full plan. (A Google Doc, link is earlier in thread...)

The B82 to Gateway is just a feeling (fantasy of sorts), not something I really would enjoy.

You brought a good reason to the table for no B6 LTD to C.I. full time, though it's one I cannot fully agree with, because it should be more than just a summer extension. Maybe Rush hours as well? And the B30 is long too, the B6 LTD (only) to C.I. making that much of a difference in length? I don't think so.

Also, do you think that a B31 extension to C.I. is more valuable than adding extra buses on the B30?

The B82 to Gateway is just a feeling (fantasy of sorts), not something I really would enjoy.

You brought a good reason to the table for no B6 LTD to C.I. full time, though it's one I cannot fully agree with, because it should be more than just a summer extension. Maybe Rush hours as well? And the B30 is long too, the B6 LTD (only) to C.I. making that much of a difference in length? I don't think so.

Also, do you think that a B31 extension to C.I. is more valuable than adding extra buses on the B30?

Oh, thank god, you're not insane! ;)

Rush hours is also something to consider. There can be traffic around Stilwell Avenue though...

The B31 extension will be beneficial to Gerritsen Beach riders, and they will get a one seat ride to Western Brooklyn, and they get some extra service. So yes, I do think it is better than extra buses on the B30. Plus, Marine Park & Mill Basin don't need any more service than what I already outlined, but G.B. can use it, as the BM4 has been cut too much.

@ThrexxBus, I agree with checkmatechamp13. It's an underutilized route. However I also see your point about the B30. It evens itself out in the Kings Highway area. Also, yes - Rush hour or through the weekday. Or both, with half of weekday & Rush hour LTD trips to C.I. and the other half to Ceasar's Bay/Bay 38th St. Something I believe you pointed out.

And I am not totally insane... just a little bit insane... just kidding! :lol:

Also @checkmatechamp13, I like your signature about crowded buses... Totally agree!

Edited by Rick44

Since it is somewhat relevant, I have added the B5, which supplements service in Midwood, Marine Park & Borough Park. This is not cost-neutral.

https://maps.google....018857,0.038581

Maybe if they had used it more, it wouldn't have been cut the way it was....

True, but a bus every 5 minutes and service to points west isn't enough to get them to use it?

Edited by ThrexxBus

@ThrexxBus, I agree with checkmatechamp13. It's an underutilized route. However I also see your point about the B30. It evens itself out in the Kings Highway area. Also, yes - Rush hour or through the weekday. Or both, with half of weekday & Rush hour LTD trips to C.I. and the other half to Ceasar's Bay/Bay 38th St. Something I believe you pointed out.

The B30/31 travel to the mall on weekends, taking the B6 route, then continuing to Coney Island so shoppers have easy access. The B31 will be used more with these changes, because it will be more convenient for many people. As listed, service to Kings Highway and CI is only every 10-12 minutes on the B30/31, so there is a bus every 5-6 minutes, even more than the current B82!

And I am not totally insane... just a little bit insane... just kidding! :lol:

:lol:,:D

Oh, thank god, you're not insane! ;)

Rush hours is also something to consider. There can be traffic around Stilwell Avenue though...

The B31 extension will be beneficial to Gerritsen Beach riders, and they will get a one seat ride to Western Brooklyn, and they get some extra service. So yes, I do think it is better than extra buses on the B30. Plus, Marine Park & Mill Basin don't need any more service than what I already outlined, but G.B. can use it, as the BM4 has been cut too much.

wouldn't it be easier to let B2 or 31 run on ave P? will B33 be faster than belt traffic? just asking