Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once upon a time, the BQM1 ran to Seaview/Penn off peak, and to 80th/Av M (Canarsie) during the rush..... There became a point & time when all BQM1's got cut back to serve Seaview/Penn (meaning, no more canarsie service).... The last rendition of the BQM1 only went to Seaview/Penn.... Then it later got renamed to the current BM5 we have today.....

In other words, as the "BM5", the route never went to Canarsie....

Once upon a time, the BQM1 ran to Seaview/Penn off peak, and to 80th/Av M (Canarsie) during the rush..... There became a point & time when all BQM1's got cut back to serve Seaview/Penn (meaning, no more canarsie service).... The last rendition of the BQM1 only went to Seaview/Penn.... Then it later got renamed to the current BM5 we have today.....

In other words, as the "BM5", the route never went to Canarsie....

I never understood how it got to Canarsie. Did buses go on the Belt Parkway for one exit, or did they serve Canarsie instead of Starrett City or what? :wacko:

I never understood how it got to Canarsie. Did buses go on the Belt Parkway for one exit, or did they serve Canarsie instead of Starrett City or what? :wacko:

Neither.

From within starrett city, the routing was down penn > seaview (it didn't loop on seaview like the current B82's do... they simply continued on seaview to) > louisiana > flatlands > then the current BM2/B103 routing to E 80th/Av M....

Not really a proposal, but here are the depot assignments for my whole plan.

Comments, and can the depots handle all of these routes?

Depot Rosters:

Italicised text stands for a split route.

Bold text stands for a part time route.

Grand Avenue: B13, B18, B27, B38, B48, B54, B62, Q38, Q54, Q59

Fresh Pond: B13, B20, B26, B38, B52, B53, B54, Q55, Q58

East New York: B7, B12, B18, B20, B25, B45, B65, B83, Q26, Q56

Spring Creek: B18, B81, B82, B103

Flatbush: B5, B40, B41, B43, B44, B46, B47, B49, B50, B55, B82

Ulmer Park: B1, B3, B4, B5, B6, B30, B31, B33, B36, B64, B74

Jackie Gleason: B9, B10, B11, B16, B23, B28, B35, B37, B43, B63, B67, B68, B69, B70, B71

Edited by ThrexxBus

lol...... I'll do you one better & say those riders won't even use the thing.....

lmao @ trying to turn an express route into a super LTD during off peak hrs (or as you put it, "LTD select stops")....

For the Queens riders, you would have to make the BM5 more conducive to taking over the QM15 - and you can't do that without screwing Brooklyn riders that take that route.... Having BM5's run open door doesn't accomplish that..... Trying to increase off peak ridership on the express routes - Face facts, if it isn't there, it isn't there.... It's futile to try to pull something from nothing....

seriously WHAT riders?? I sometimes use BM5 and see only 4 ppl on it so screwing 4 riders to potentionally gain several more makes no sense?? elaborate sat it's ridership is pathetic so allowing ppl to get off at queens and board more ppl is what you call foolish improving turnover and adding ridership wont decrease costs so nogo I call BULL

seriously WHAT riders?? I sometimes use BM5 and see only 4 ppl on it so screwing 4 riders to potentionally gain several more makes no sense?? elaborate sat it's ridership is pathetic so allowing ppl to get off at queens and board more ppl is what you call foolish improving turnover and adding ridership wont decrease costs so nogo I call BULL

I also frequent the BM5, and I'm trying to make sense to what you are saying, but it's not sticking to me.

I need you to elaborate more about this.

I really don't want to say to eliminate the BM5 b/c of the spring creek customers, but what I don't find is enough East New York and Queens customers taking the bus into manhattan during the mid-day (although it picks up during rush-hour and nights on return trip).

There needs to be some dramastic way to either eliminate the East New York to Queens portion or streamline to exclude queens stops (PRE BQM1).

This would be a possible BM5 routing Spring creek to Manhattan via Brooklyn. MIDTOWN EXPRESS ONLY (STREAMLINED)

AM/PM RUSH: East New York to Midtown via Brooklyn // other times: Spring Creek Complex via Penn to Flatlands.

Ashford & Linden

Cozine & Ashford

Cozine & Van Sicklen

Spring Creek Complex stops via Penn

Flatlands & Lousiana

Flatlands & 105

Flatlands & 80th - BM2/B103

Ave I & Utica

Ave I & Nostrand - B44

Ave I & Ocean

Ocean & Glenwood

Ocean & Ditmas

Cortelyou & E19

Cortelyou & Stratford

- To Manhattan.

This would be the only Midtown express to bypass downtown at ALL TIMES.

I also frequent the BM5, and I'm trying to make sense to what you are saying, but it's not sticking to me.

I really don't want to say to eliminate the BM5 b/c of the spring creek customers, but what I don't find is enough East New York and Queens customers taking the bus into manhattan during the mid-day (although it picks up during rush-hour and nights on return trip).

There needs to be some dramastic way to either eliminate the East New York to Queens portion or streamline to exclude queens stops (PRE BQM1).

This would be a possible BM5 routing Spring creek to Manhattan via Brooklyn. MIDTOWN EXPRESS ONLY (STREAMLINED)

AM/PM RUSH: East New York to Midtown via Brooklyn // other times: Spring Creek Complex via Penn to Flatlands.

Ashford & Linden

Cozine & Ashford

Cozine & Van Sicklen

Spring Creek Complex stops via Penn

Flatlands & Lousiana

Flatlands & 105

Flatlands & 80th - BM2/B103

Ave I & Utica

Ave I & Nostrand - B44

Ave I & Ocean

Ocean & Glenwood

Ocean & Ditmas

Cortelyou & E19

Cortelyou & Stratford

- To Manhattan.

This would be the only Midtown express to bypass downtown at ALL TIMES.

I really dont see this as streamlining woodhaven blvd even with stops is still faster than van wyck and the bus speeds down to LIE via woodhaven. Also that routing has traffic and well local rds none of which are faster than woodhaven at least via the route you suggested. I will elaborate what I am getting at further many ppl travel between queens and brooklyn not just via transit either several go via woodhaven to distant parts of queens cause the van wyck blows cocks to NE and SE queens. Look at my Q38/64 ideas. flushing and fresh meadows are all places on the radar. Also the areas BM5 serves have ppl constantly driving woodhaven to other places. BM5 doesn't have enough ppl going to MANHATTAN that was why I suggested open-door to allow ppl to use it to queens if it can't get ppl to manhattan then it will take ppl from brooklyn to queens to

augment its ridership base the opendoor locations are strategically placed to connect to lines going to other parts thus giving brooklyn riders a 2 seat ride to places DEEP in queens to allow ppl to avoid the SLOW B83,20&Q24 lets not even start with Q7/8. This is designed not just for woodhaven corridor but for places served by links at that corridor like Q64 & Q38 & Q54/23 hence why Q64 gets extended to atlas park then ridgewood via yellowstone links BM5 with jewel and deep parts.Q38 penelope extends to flushing or possible Q50 merge creating several travel opportunities to add different riders to BM5. Actually my BM5 idea is Semi open door meaning only northbound drop offs are on northern woodhaven pitkin for Q41/21 then pickups

only to metropolitan then open door to allow links to Q64after extension/23& 63rd dr to reach other lines. also at its last queens stop basically a SUPER LTD with speeds at express bus level. Plus BM5 Does get use on woodhaven blvd I see ppl getting off BM5s on woodhaven. The key is to link SE brooklyn with as many places as possible in the fastest way possible something B83 can't do

Yes, that makes NO sense.... it's 4 riders that's paying for EXPRESS service to Manhattan.

The MTA's not turning express buses into open door super LTD's during off peak hours.....

End of discussion.

There's no sense in it.... It's nothin more than him trying to further justify marring express bus service....

Now, for my ideas for Brooklyn:

• B6LTD--Implement Sunday Limited-Stop Service for All Day Service. When Limited-Stop Buses are running, local buses operate between the Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway (L) Subway Station and Bath Beach. Limited-Stop Buses will make limited stops between Bath Beach and the Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway (L) Subway Station then runs local to/from the New Lots Av (3) Subway Station.

• B8LCL/B18LTD--Service extended back to Bay Ridge-95th St during late night and early morning hours (Monday -Friday 10:00 PM-6:00 AM, Saturday 10:00 PM-7:00 AM, and Sunday 10:00 PM-8:00 PM). Implement new Limited-Stop variant of the B8LCL, the B18LTD. This new bus line will see service reinstation to/from Bay Ridge-95th St and will run all day (Monday-Friday 6:00 AM-10:00 PM, Saturday 7:00 AM-10:00 PM, and Sunday 8:00 AM-10:00 PM) making all limited stops between Rockaway/Hegemen Avs and the Brooklyn Veterans Administration Medical Center, then some local stops to/from Bay Ridge-95th St. A route change is also avised; both the B8 and the B18 will run via Church Av and Kings Highway between Remsen Av and Beverly Road, also via Av D and Ditmas Av between Nostrand and Coney Island Avs in both directions with the southbound buses running along Linden Blvd and Rockaway Parkway straight to Church Av.

• B5LCL/B15LTD--Split service into 2 routes, one service will be the new B5 running along the original B15, and the other service will be the newly-restructured B15LTD All Day Service (Monday-Friday 6:00 AM-10:00 PM, Saturday 7:00 AM-10:00 PM, and Sunday 8:00 AM-10:00 PM) running between Bed-Stuy and JFK Airport via Brooklyn General Mail Facility. When Limited-Stop Service is running, local buses will run between Bed-Stuy and Brooklyn General Mail Facility. A route change is also avised; both the B5 and the B15 will run via Fulton St and Ralph Av in both directions between Marcus Garvey Blvd (eastbound)/Lewis Av (westbound) and Saint Johns Place in Brooklyn.

• B35LCL/B55LTD--Extend bus service to/from Sunset Park/1st Av. Split B35 service into 2 routes, one service will be the B35LCL, and the other service will be the new B55LTD All Day Service running along the current B35LTD making all limited stops between Brownsville and Sunset Park. Begin Sunday Limited-Stop Service 5 hours earlier and end it 1 hour later.

• B41LCL/LTD--All Limited-Stop Trips will now run between Downtown Brooklyn and Kings Plaza. Local service to/from Bergen Beach not affected.

• B44LCL/LTD--With the arrival of +selectbusservice on the B44 scheduled for January 2013, all northbound B44 buses will be rerouted along Flatbush, Rogers, and Bedford Avd between Brooklyn College-Flatbush Av (2)(5) Subway Station and Fulton St. Southbound bus service not affected.

• B46LCL/LTD--All B46 Limited-Stop Buses will make limited stops between Kings Plaza Shopping Center and Malcolm X Blvd/DeKalb Av. Local bus service not affected.

• B49LCL/LTD--With the arrival of +selectbusservice on the B44 scheduled for January 2013, the B49 service will be rerouted along the discontinued pre-June 2010 portion of the B48 route to Empire Blvd, then along Ocean Av down to Foster Av to resume regular route. Restructure Southbound Weekday AM Rush Hour Limited-Stop Sevice into a Weekday and Saturday Only Limited-Stop Service making all limited stop along the full route in both directions; meaning that the southbound Limited-Stop Service will now begin at Franklin Av/Fulton St not Empire Blvd.

• B60LTD--Implement All Weekday Only Limited-Stop Service between Williamsburg Bridge Plaza and Glenwood Road.

• B63LTD--Implement All Day Limited-Stop Service making all limited stops between Dean St and 4th Av/Shore Road.

• B82LCL/LTD--Restructure Weekday Rush Hour Limited-Stop Service into All Day Limited-Stop Service making limited stops between Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway and 25th Av, then local to/from Spring Creek and Coney Island. When Limited-Stop Service is running, local buses will run between Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway and 25th Av.

• B6LTD--Implement Sunday Limited-Stop Service for All Day Service. When Limited-Stop Buses are running, local buses operate between the Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway (L) Subway Station and Bath Beach. Limited-Stop Buses will make limited stops between Bath Beach and the Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway (L) Subway Station then runs local to/from the New Lots Av (3) Subway Station.

• B8LCL/B18LTD--Service extended back to Bay Ridge-95th St during late night and early morning hours (Monday -Friday 10:00 PM-6:00 AM, Saturday 10:00 PM-7:00 AM, and Sunday 10:00 PM-8:00 PM). Implement new Limited-Stop variant of the B8LCL, the B18LTD. This new bus line will see service reinstation to/from Bay Ridge-95th St and will run all day (Monday-Friday 6:00 AM-10:00 PM, Saturday 7:00 AM-10:00 PM, and Sunday 8:00 AM-10:00 PM) making all limited stops between Rockaway/Hegemen Avs and the Brooklyn Veterans Administration Medical Center, then some local stops to/from Bay Ridge-95th St. A route change is also avised; both the B8 and the B18 will run via Church Av and Kings Highway between Remsen Av and Beverly Road, also via Av D and Ditmas Av between Nostrand and Coney Island Avs in both directions with the southbound buses running along Linden Blvd and Rockaway Parkway straight to Church Av.

• B5LCL/B15LTD--Split service into 2 routes, one service will be the new B5 running along the original B15, and the other service will be the newly-restructured B15LTD All Day Service (Monday-Friday 6:00 AM-10:00 PM, Saturday 7:00 AM-10:00 PM, and Sunday 8:00 AM-10:00 PM) running between Bed-Stuy and JFK Airport via Brooklyn General Mail Facility. When Limited-Stop Service is running, local buses will run between Bed-Stuy and Brooklyn General Mail Facility. A route change is also avised; both the B5 and the B15 will run via Fulton St and Ralph Av in both directions between Marcus Garvey Blvd (eastbound)/Lewis Av (westbound) and Saint Johns Place in Brooklyn.

• B35LCL/B55LTD--Extend bus service to/from Sunset Park/1st Av. Split B35 service into 2 routes, one service will be the B35LCL, and the other service will be the new B55LTD All Day Service running along the current B35LTD making all limited stops between Brownsville and Sunset Park. Begin Sunday Limited-Stop Service 5 hours earlier and end it 1 hour later.

• B41LCL/LTD--All Limited-Stop Trips will now run between Downtown Brooklyn and Kings Plaza. Local service to/from Bergen Beach not affected.

• B44LCL/LTD--With the arrival of +selectbusservice on the B44 scheduled for January 2013, all northbound B44 buses will be rerouted along Flatbush, Rogers, and Bedford Avd between Brooklyn College-Flatbush Av (2)(5) Subway Station and Fulton St. Southbound bus service not affected.

• B46LCL/LTD--All B46 Limited-Stop Buses will make limited stops between Kings Plaza Shopping Center and Malcolm X Blvd/DeKalb Av. Local bus service not affected.

• B49LCL/LTD--With the arrival of +selectbusservice on the B44 scheduled for January 2013, the B49 service will be rerouted along the discontinued pre-June 2010 portion of the B48 route to Empire Blvd, then along Ocean Av down to Foster Av to resume regular route. Restructure Southbound Weekday AM Rush Hour Limited-Stop Sevice into a Weekday and Saturday Only Limited-Stop Service making all limited stop along the full route in both directions; meaning that the southbound Limited-Stop Service will now begin at Franklin Av/Fulton St not Empire Blvd.

• B60LTD--Implement All Weekday Only Limited-Stop Service between Williamsburg Bridge Plaza and Glenwood Road.

• B63LTD--Implement All Day Limited-Stop Service making all limited stops between Dean St and 4th Av/Shore Road.

• B82LCL/LTD--Restructure Weekday Rush Hour Limited-Stop Service into All Day Limited-Stop Service making limited stops between Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway and 25th Av, then local to/from Spring Creek and Coney Island. When Limited-Stop Service is running, local buses will run between Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway and 25th Av.

The B63 don't need a limited, if someone wants a quicker ride on that corridor they can take the (R) train.

Flat out, almost all of these things are unnecessary. Not every long route needs LTD service. That's going to eventually happen w/B44 anyway though...

The B8 LTD is a novel idea, but will be hard to implement. All the others, just SMH...

Look at his Bronx plans. Hit it right on the head.

lmao.... I'm tellin ya, the only thing I noticed in both of those posts of his, was the term "LTD".....

With the recent protest of cut back B64 service recently, I just want to know your take on how to fix it!

This is one of the better ideas in my opinion, by B35 via Church:

https://maps.google.....009433,0.01929

Thanks.... But from 92nd, I would have buses run up 4th, then make a right on 86th to terminate where that B16 stop is.....

Buses would never use 3rd....

side note:

I hate what google's maps have become now.... it shows unnecessary turns/routings you don't want the map to illustrate...

Thanks.... But from 92nd, I would have buses run up 4th, then make a right on 86th to terminate where that B16 stop is.....

Buses would never use 3rd....

side note:

I hate what google's maps have become now.... it shows unnecessary turns/routings you don't want the map to illustrate...

Changed that. Also, I know what you mean, sometimes it fails to show what you want it to show.

who says the b17 needs more runs maybe some trippers out if fb

Well, me & B35 have an idea to reroute B7's to take over the B17 E. 80th Street branch. Kings Highway dosen't need the service, but Remsen Avenue does.

Responding to ACEVE14:

Your B6LTD idea doesn't need to reach all the way to it's last stop on the western end.

Take a look at my recent thread on expanding B6 LTD operations to Kings Highway (thread was relabeled to 86th Street by a moderator).

For the B8 limited service - there's really no need for all day LTD service. I have a thread created a few weeks ago with a proposal of introducing limited service to the east-west route, which only needs to operate weekday only during rush hours, bidirectional.

Your deduction of B41 LTD service to Bergen Beach is absolute ludicrous. During weekday rush hours, most service is diverted to Bergen Beach because of the massive ridership demand. Plenty of folks from Downtown deserve a straight shot ride on an LTD directly into Bergen Beach. Period.

However, the service to Kings Plaza during the day needs to be re-evaluated at some point. As an operator on the B46, I'll sit at Kings Plaza until it's my time to go in and load, and notice to my left the amount of people waiting for a B41 to show up - local or limited. Service has been deprived there at the least. It was so ridiculous one day the KP SLD took an operator from the 46 to do a ghost run on the 41 just to fill in the gap.

Your idea for expanding LTD service to Kings Plaza is not needed. I actually spoke with one of my boys about this about two weeks ago (he'll chime in later on this, probably) and we both agreed to extend it further south of Avenue H, but he's proposing Avenue N, while I'm going with Flatlands Avenue. This topic is a bit iffy, though... Then again, many on Utica go out their way to walk to the nearest LTD stop on the 46 just to avoid riding local, so either end-point I mentioned would be OK I suppose.

New 46LTD locations after Ave H would be Flatlands Avenue (B82), then Avenue N (B41).

For the B49LCL/LTD - restructuring the route to operate on Bedford Avenue both ways between Franklin Ave & Foster Avenue only is my idea, if MTA is still planning to send the 44SBS up Rogers Avenue. Also rush hour bidirectional LTD service.

The B82LTD should actually operate bidirectional between 6AM-7PM, weekdays only as is now.