Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only reason they are separate is because one is NYCT and the other is MTA Bus, so if anything it's more on the divisions and possibly the unions preventing a merge. Ideally the B2 segment west of Flatbush would be kept and then it could run up Utica and make a right onto Fillmore and continue on in place of the B100. Either way, the B100 should've been based from Flatbush depot because of its proximity being right in front as opposed to having to deadhead all the way back to SC.

It's not about cutting service. If you merged the lines, then you could make the surviving line more important and perhaps increase service as it is the only line serving that area.

The only reason they are separate is because one is NYCT and the other is MTA Bus, so if anything it's more on the divisions and possibly the unions preventing a merge. Ideally the B2 segment west of Flatbush would be kept and then it could run up Utica and make a right onto Fillmore and continue on in place of the B100. Either way, the B100 should've been based from Flatbush depot because of its proximity being right in front as opposed to having to deadhead all the way back to SC.

It's not about cutting service. If you merged the lines, then you could make the surviving line more important and perhaps increase service as it is the only line serving that area.

I would tend to disagree with that. If that was the case we would've been just fine with the B2 being cut on weekends and we fought for over a year to restore the B2. I'm convinced that both buses have their own purpose and serve two different neighborhoods with different needs. Cut one and certainly one neighborhood will cry foul especially Marine Park and the senior population. In fact I would fight if either were cut or merged so I glad to be part of the fight to get the B2 weekend service restored.

Speaking of restorations though, I get a smile every time I see an X27 on the weekends. I can't wait until the B4 comes back. I'm going to take a trip via the X27 and the B4 next year in celebration of us being victorious in getting both buses restored.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

The B2 on FB av isn't really well used and it may as well be cut. There's the B9/41/46 and even Q35 to Kings Plaza. If it's a 3rd leg transfer, then I don't see why you'd need that portion running. Sure the B100 may have decent ridership b/w 16th and FB, but it's mostly drop offs than pick ups. So for them it's an extra block of walking to take the B2. I still think a combined route would be better be cutting the excess and focusing more on one area instead of splitting the ridership. That way there's no way the MTA can get away with further cuts. B100 like all the other MTA Bus lines, I think still have that 'blank check' where they can run whatever they need, so for them it doesn't matter as much as it does for NYCT. If the 'regional bus' thing ever happens, I don't see those 2 line staying separate for long. Once everything is under the MTA-NYCT umbrella, I won't be surprised more lines are either swapped, merged, or eliminated.

-imo.

Edited by Grand Concourse

I agree... You will see more improvements to some routes when Bus Time comes as well. I saw Bus Time for the Bronx express buses yesterday while walking in the city and I saw some folks with their phones out so it's probably catching on in the Bronx too which I think will lead to increased ridership, better loading in terms of even loads and a better commute overall for passengers that will encourage them to use buses. It's definitely happening on Staten Island. Buses that I used to take that would empty are now full...

Which lines were those? I personally LOVE bustime similar to the bus tracker I used in bridgeport CT they had it on their buses for years.

I think B100 should go to flatbush depot and then send MCI cruisers to flatbush depot and base BM1 there as well.

I would tend to disagree with that. If that was the case we would've been just fine with the B2 being cut on weekends and we fought for over a year to restore the B2. I'm convinced that both buses have their own purpose and serve two different neighborhoods with different needs. Cut one and certainly one neighborhood will cry foul especially Marine Park and the senior population. In fact I would fight if either were cut or merged so I glad to be part of the fight to get the B2 weekend service restored.

Speaking of restorations though, I get a smile every time I see an X27 on the weekends. I can't wait until the B4 comes back. I'm going to take a trip via the X27 and the B4 next year in celebration of us being victorious in getting both buses restored.

Me too X27 deserved it ridership was there UNLIKE some BM lines. I may come up with something that can create new possibilities.

The B2 on FB av isn't really well used and it may as well be cut. There's the B9/41/46 and even Q35 to Kings Plaza. If it's a 3rd leg transfer, then I don't see why you'd need that portion running. Sure the B100 may have decent ridership b/w 16th and FB, but it's mostly drop offs than pick ups. So for them it's an extra block of walking to take the B2. I still think a combined route would be better be cutting the excess and focusing more on one area instead of splitting the ridership. That way there's no way the MTA can get away with further cuts. B100 like all the other MTA Bus lines, I think still have that 'blank check' where they can run whatever they need, so for them it doesn't matter as much as it does for NYCT. If the 'regional bus' thing ever happens, I don't see those 2 line staying separate for long. Once everything is under the MTA-NYCT umbrella, I won't be surprised more lines are either swapped, merged, or eliminated.

-imo.

Interesting argument BUT people on B2's unique portions use B2 to kings plaza. If ridership to kings plaza was dismal you would have a case. But the habits reject this.

I would just leave the B2 and 100 alone. For the sake of history.

History hasn't served the bus system well.

Yeah I know that but the B2/B100 and B30/B31 have beaten to death. As far as I'm concerned if these proposals were really viable ones (particularly the B2 and B100) I would see the (MTA) implementing them. One issue that clearly comes to mind is political pressure. Apparently no one paid attention when residents fought (as did I) to get the B2 weekend service restored for Marine Park so that they could access to shopping around the Kings Plaza area as well as the Kings Hwy station. As a former resident of Southern Brooklyn it is my belief that Southern Brooklyn historically has been starved of transportation and the B2/B100 combination if you will should only be enacted in dire straits, otherwise I would fight to keep both the B2 and B100. Southern Brooklyn needs MORE transportation not less. If the B2 and B100 were so practical I think both would've been combined a long time ago and the communities that they serve (i.e. Mill Basin, Marine Park, Midwood, etc.) would've been fine with them. There's a reason they're separate or shall I say reasons.

There'd be no service cuts... I don't see where the service is going... the B2 doesn't have that much service to begin with. These extensions would improve the route.

Interesting argument BUT people on B2's unique portions use B2 to kings plaza. If ridership to kings plaza was dismal you would have a case. But the habits reject this.

He's right... no one uses the B2 on Flatbush or at KP...

Edited by Threxx

Which lines were those? I personally LOVE bustime similar to the bus tracker I used in bridgeport CT they had it on their buses for years.

It was in the city so I know the express bus lines in the city had it that go to the Bronx and Riverdale. Not sure about the Bronx overall though in terms of say local buses.

I think B100 should go to flatbush depot and then send MCI cruisers to flatbush depot and base BM1 there as well.

Don't be silly...

Me too X27 deserved it ridership was there UNLIKE some BM lines. I may come up with something that can create new possibilities.

lol... I won't hold my breath on that one... :lol:

There'd be no service cuts... I don't see where the service is going... the B2 doesn't have that much service to begin with. These extensions would improve the route.

So then you would have two branches then because otherwise there would be cuts if the routes were merged.

He's right... no one uses the B2 on Flatbush or at KP...

Uh not true... I used the B2 all the time at KP when I lived in Midwood and even when I lived in Sheepshead Bay.

Anyway... I talked about the B48/B49 earlier.

The point of the changes here is to remove the redundant B49 from Rogers Avenue (which would be replaced by the B44, obviously) and send it along a route which was formerly traveled and has shown to have decent ridership along it. The only uncertain thing in this plan is the extension of the B48 to Avenue H/Flatbush.

Check it out.

It seems like the same bloody proposals keep coming up over and over again with slight modifications if any, particularly the B2/B100 and this B30/B31 proposal. Am I missing something or what? I mean how many times are these two proposals gonna come up??? <_<

I'm sick of seeing the same weak arguments to these same "bloody" proposals.... combining the B2/100 is one of them... I can think of at least 10 other proposals that fit the same bill, including Q7 to green acres, bx41/55 to LGA, Q22/35 combination, Q55 extension to jamaica, B54/Q55 combination, M100 to riverdale, route along bushwick av, B43 to kings county hospital, 5th/madison service consolidation, 12th av/west av route, Q32/Q33 combination, B44/46 extension to manhattan, B24/Q104 combination, Q12 to LIRR great neck, splitting the Q60......

Iono, was that 10.... probably more, I wasn't counting, just going off the top of my head

I don't really ride the B9 much in the rush hours, but I think you summed it up correctly. FB av is where the masses tends to flock to. Years ago I would walk to the KH-FB corner for the B41/Q35 to the Junction, but now I go to the stop near Av N to avoid the crowding.

I don't blame you.... Personally whenever I disembark the B7 or the 82 at flatbush, I just walk to the junction....

Not hopping in the flatbush dollar vans, I generally tend to shun the 41 (for a couple reasons as well), and I don't take/wait for Q35's towards the junction whilst in brooklyn (if you see me on a NB Q35, you know 100% of the time I came from the rockaways).....

-imo.

Yup, If no one boards the B2 at KP, the next stop you'll see ppl. waiting for it at is over there alongside the rite aid (flatbush/Av S, after the turn onto 'S).... after that, it's hit or miss as to where how many people will get on before it hits nostrand..... That stop over there by Av T (I think that is) along flatbush, most those ppl. I find take 9's & 41's over 2's & 46's.....

As for your last point, I agree with you.... More towards seeing a f***load of mergers all over the place, over eliminations IMO.... If by swaps you mean depot swaps, I can agree with that too....

Edited by B35 via Church

I'm sick of seeing the same weak arguments to these same "bloody" proposals.... combining the B2/100 is one of them... I can think of at least 10 other proposals that fit the same bill, including Q7 to green acres, bx41/55 to LGA, Q22/35 combination, Q55 extension to jamaica, B54/Q55 combination, M100 to riverdale, route along bushwick av, B43 to kings county hospital, 5th/madison service consolidation, 12th av/west av route, Q32/Q33 combination, B44/46 extension to manhattan, B24/Q104 combination, Q12 to LIRR great neck, splitting the Q60......

Not going to go in to that one again... but I beg to differ here.

It depends on how that one is done, but a straight up WEH route would be unrealistic.

It seems like the same bloody proposals keep coming up over and over again with slight modifications if any, particularly the B2/B100 and this B30/B31 proposal. Am I missing something or what? I mean how many times are these two proposals gonna come up??? <_<

And your point is? If it's relevant to the discussion, we bring it up. Before, we weren't discussing splitting the B82 with the level of detail we are now. We agree it should be cut back to the (B)(Q) station (or Coney Island Avenue like the current B7), so now the question is what covers the western end? A B5? Should it be rerouted to The Junction instead of Kings Highway & Flatbush? Or should it be a route that currently ends at Kings Highway extended further westward, and if so, which one? And that's what I was debating with Threxx.

Yeah I know that but the B2/B100 and B30/B31 have beaten to death. As far as I'm concerned if these proposals were really viable ones (particularly the B2 and B100) I would see the (MTA) implementing them. One issue that clearly comes to mind is political pressure. Apparently no one paid attention when residents fought (as did I) to get the B2 weekend service restored for Marine Park so that they could access to shopping around the Kings Plaza area as well as the Kings Hwy station. As a former resident of Southern Brooklyn it is my belief that Southern Brooklyn historically has been starved of transportation and the B2/B100 combination if you will should only be enacted in dire straits, otherwise I would fight to keep both the B2 and B100. Southern Brooklyn needs MORE transportation not less. If the B2 and B100 were so practical I think both would've been combined a long time ago and the communities that they serve (i.e. Mill Basin, Marine Park, Midwood, etc.) would've been fine with them. There's a reason they're separate or shall I say reasons.

There are many viable ideas that the MTA hasn't implemented.

And the reason they haven't been combined is because they're part of different divisions. That's it.

Aside from that, you yourself have suggested the idea in the past (and it didn't sound like a "last resort" deal either)

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/28699-the-mta%e2%80%99s-sinister-plot-to-destroy-the-b64/page__st__60?do=findComment&comment=436075

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/28815-the-mtas-secret-plan-to-eliminate-the-b2/?do=findComment&comment=437420

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/28815-the-mtas-secret-plan-to-eliminate-the-b2/?do=findComment&comment=437459

I would just leave the B2 and 100 alone. For the sake of history.

Somebody at the public hearing on SI said that we should leave the S60 alone because it's been around since the 1920s. That's the point. The route was planned in the 1920s around 1920s travel patterns (and aside from that, you had different companies competing for riders, which affected the way the routes were laid out)

It would likely take the same amount of resources to merge the B2 & B100 as I would assume that frequency would need to be increased.

The point isn't really to save resources, though.

It's better to have two routes on one street, rather than two streets that are near each other (unless for some reason, both routes are super-frequent, which isn't the case here). You have the advantage of the combined frequencies, so if one route screws up, you can automatically use the other as a backup.

For instance, on Richmond Avenue, there is an area where it's a similar situation, and you could reroute one of the routes to serve areas that would otherwise lack coverage. See here. For all intents and purposes, you can ignore the S61 (I mean, it doesn't provide connections to Richmond Avenue anyway). In any case, there's no route on Arlene Street, so anyway.

If this were to be implemented, you'd cover more area, but you'd screw over more riders then you'd help. Then a rider would be forced to choose between one route and the other, and if the route they choose screws up, then they don't have the other route as a backup. (Hell, I'd be one of those riders who would have a shorter distance to a bus route, and I'd still oppose it, because I'd rather walk a little further and have more frequent service)

I mean, most people prefer frequent routes to infrequent ones, and are often willing to walk a little further for them. Hell, even in this thread, B35 mentioned that people living by the B7 often walk a little further, so they have the option of both the B7 & B82. Hell, look at B7 ridership in general. Even if the B7 is closer to them, people walk to other routes like the B46 because they're more frequent.

Not going to go in to that one again... but I beg to differ here.

It depends on how that one is done, but a straight up WEH route would be unrealistic.

I didn't list those ideas as a springboard for someone to come up here & dispute if any of them should happen....

So you brazenly making the statement of "Not going to go in to that one again" means squat to me.....

I mean, most people prefer frequent routes to infrequent ones, and are often willing to walk a little further for them. Hell, even in this thread, B35 mentioned that people living by the B7 often walk a little further, so they have the option of both the B7 & B82. Hell, look at B7 ridership in general. Even if the B7 is closer to them, people walk to other routes like the B46 because they're more frequent.

Especially if the more frequent ones takes people to where they're generally trying to get to better....

I'll say it as many times as necessary, and the non-believers can always go see for themselves - The B7 in certain parts is shunned.

There are many viable ideas that the MTA hasn't implemented.

And the reason they haven't been combined is because they're part of different divisions. That's it.

Aside from that, you yourself have suggested the idea in the past (and it didn't sound like a "last resort" deal either)

http://www.nyctransi..._60#entry436075

http://www.nyctransi...b2/#entry437420

http://www.nyctransi...b2/#entry437459

Well I went along with the idea because back then the (MTA) 's finances were in the tank and that would be a compromise though I didn't feel that comfortable merging the two routes because I feel as if someone would be shortchanged, but now I would not settle for that simply because South Brooklyn needs more transportation options, not less and I've seen how the lack of bus service has hurt Southern Brooklyn communities.

I generally am against service cuts and mergers and that's why I fought to have weekend service for the B2 restored.

Well I went along with the idea because back then the (MTA) 's finances were in the tank and that would be a compromise though I didn't feel that comfortable merging the two routes because I feel as if someone would be shortchanged, but now I would not settle for that simply because South Brooklyn needs more transportation options, not less and I've seen how the lack of bus service has hurt Southern Brooklyn communities.

I generally am against service cuts and mergers and that's why I fought to have weekend service for the B2 restored.

There's a difference between "settling for a compromise" and actively advocating for it. It sounded like you were doing the latter:

I think a B2/B100 merger works best because it would allow for weekend service to be restored in Marine Park and also, why is it such a big deal to have the two buses merged when the generally run one block apart? Are you telling me that there ther B100 is in such demand that those folks can't walk one block over? Same thing with the B2. One block would not kill them. Having used the B2 a lot to get to Kings Plaza when I lived back in Midwood, I would propose the following: [and then you detail the specific routing it would take]

Why is it such a big deal? Doesn't sound like somebody settling for a compromise to me.

So you would be against a merger even if it resulted in improved service? You end up with better-spaced buses, and "insurance" in case there's a problem with one route or the other.

I mean, you're sitting there going after Threxx talking about "You're going overboard with coverage", and yet you're doing the same thing.

Splitting the service doesn't necessarily mean you'll have more transportation options. That just means you'll have a more complicated network.

There's a difference between "settling for a compromise" and actively advocating for it. It sounded like you were doing the latter:

I think a B2/B100 merger works best because it would allow for weekend service to be restored in Marine Park and also, why is it such a big deal to have the two buses merged when the generally run one block apart? Are you telling me that there ther B100 is in such demand that those folks can't walk one block over? Same thing with the B2. One block would not kill them. Having used the B2 a lot to get to Kings Plaza when I lived back in Midwood, I would propose the following: [and then you detail the specific routing it would take]

Why is it such a big deal? Doesn't sound like somebody settling for a compromise to me.

So you would be against a merger even if it resulted in improved service? You end up with better-spaced buses, and "insurance" in case there's a problem with one route or the other.

I mean, you're sitting there going after Threxx talking about "You're going overboard with coverage", and yet you're doing the same thing.

Splitting the service doesn't necessarily mean you'll have more transportation options. That just means you'll have a more complicated network.

The thing is the the 2 and 100 serve different purposes. One running to Mill Basin and one to Kings Plaza, one bus on 5 minute peak heaways and one one 15 minute minute peak headways. How is such a combo gonna work. I think riders are good with the current setup IMO, A thing that some people dont get

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

The thing is the the 2 and 100 serve different purposes. One running to Mill Basin and one to Kings Plaza, one bus on 5 minute peak heaways and one one 15 minute minute peak headways. How is such a combo gonna work. I think riders are good with the current setup IMO, A thing that some people dont get

There's nothing stopping one branch from going to Kings Plaza while the other goes to Mill Basin. You just have them keep the same route west of Flatbush Avenue.

For peak headways, it doesn't matter when it's that frequent.

For off-peak headways, then you'll see the benefits. Instead of running the buses every 20 minutes each, you run them every 10 minutes on the combined portion and every 20 minutes on the branches.

At that time it was clear from my post that I was questioning the need for both and didn't quite understand the need for both. People are allowed to change their minds you know and even then the thinking process was that of a compromise because my thinking back then was that both routes weren't needed and most importantly it would be good to have some weekend service for B2 riders as opposed to nothing. As Q23 has stated they both serve different needs which explained why I had a hard time merging them before.

At that time it was clear from my post that I was questioning the need for both and didn't quite understand the need for both. People are allowed to change their minds you know and even then the thinking process was that of a compromise because my thinking back then was that both routes weren't needed and most importantly it would be good to have some weekend service for B2 riders as opposed to nothing. As Q23 has stated they both serve different needs which explained why I had a hard time merging them before.

And they could still serve those different needs while being merged. One branch goes to Kings Plaza, one branch goes to Mill Basin. Problem solved.

Uh no because obviously they wouldn't run down all of the streets served by the B2 and B100, so no problem not solved.

It doesn't have to run down every single street in the neighborhood. Remember when I said you'd want routes running down every single street in the city? You're not exactly proving me wrong.

Both routes have a common purpose of connecting Marine Park to the subway. Prove me wrong on that. They both run a block apart, but they both serve the same general area of Marine Park.

On top of that common purpose, they also serve seperate purposes on the eastern end. The B2 serves Kings Plaza, and the B100 serves Mill Basin. But that doesn't interfere with their ability to serve Marine Park. One serves Marine Park and then Mill Basin, while the other serves Marine Park and Kings Plaza.

Would you like it if you were in Marine Park, and you wanted to reach the subway, so you walked over to a B2 stop and found out that the bus was MIA? With my plan, you'd have the B100 as a built-in backup, right there.

It doesn't have to run down every single street in the neighborhood. Remember when I said you'd want routes running down every single street in the city? You're not exactly proving me wrong.

Both routes have a common purpose of connecting Marine Park to the subway. Prove me wrong on that. They both run a block apart, but they both serve the same general area of Marine Park.

On top of that common purpose, they also serve seperate purposes on the eastern end. The B2 serves Kings Plaza, and the B100 serves Mill Basin. But that doesn't interfere with their ability to serve Marine Park. One serves Marine Park and then Mill Basin, while the other serves Marine Park and Kings Plaza.

Would you like it if you were in Marine Park, and you wanted to reach the subway, so you walked over to a B2 stop and found out that the bus was MIA? With my plan, you'd have the B100 as a built-in backup, right there.

What built in back up? If you're merging the routes then clearly someone is going to have to walk further to get to the bus.

There's nothing stopping one branch from going to Kings Plaza while the other goes to Mill Basin. You just have them keep the same route west of Flatbush Avenue.

For peak headways, it doesn't matter when it's that frequent.

For off-peak headways, then you'll see the benefits. Instead of running the buses every 20 minutes each, you run them every 10 minutes on the combined portion and every 20 minutes on the branches.

Last point sums it up. I've rode the B100, the only thing people use it for eastbound are drop offs or like 9 times out of 10 it's people getting off vs someone getting on (not counting the school kids and even then I think there are some school runs covered by FB). You can beef up the single street with more service than the split service where one side may have more than the other.

I also agree you (in gen) can't have everything. Some people have to realize that right now things are status quo because of the division b/w Mta Bus and NYCT. It's not just because 'oh let's cut it because it mirrors another line'. I don't see anything that's preventing the MTA from altering both lines and keeping only one. I'd rather they merge something and boost service a little than outright cutting one line and not doing anything to boost service on the other. The more in the hole the MTA is, it's either more fare hikes or service cuts. You can't have both more service at current fares. Something has to give.

I don't blame you.... Personally whenever I disembark the B7 or the 82 at flatbush, I just walk to the junction....

Not hopping in the flatbush dollar vans, I generally tend to shun the 41 (for a couple reasons as well), and I don't take/wait for Q35's towards the junction whilst in brooklyn (if you see me on a NB Q35, you know 100% of the time I came from the rockaways).....

Yup, If no one boards the B2 at KP, the next stop you'll see ppl. waiting for it at is over there alongside the rite aid (flatbush/Av S, after the turn onto 'S).... after that, it's hit or miss as to where how many people will get on before it hits nostrand..... That stop over there by Av T (I think that is) along flatbush, most those ppl. I find take 9's & 41's over 2's & 46's.....

As for your last point, I agree with you.... More towards seeing a f***load of mergers all over the place, over eliminations IMO.... If by swaps you mean depot swaps, I can agree with that too....

Yeah B41/Q35 are hit or miss these days. You can be lucky and get 3 in a row or strike out and wait another 15-20min for one to show up.

s/b B2 is pointless. They may as well just run them (no stops) to Kings Plaza (maybe with requested drop offs). With so many other buses there, why wait for a B2? Plus if the B2 is a 3rd leg transfer the way the B6 is, then you don't need to worry about the transfer costing another fare.

Exactly. People can't keep everything. It's either take a steeper fare hike or they have more service cuts. And with Sandy likely to add more damage totals to the debt, expect it to be one or the other especially when the merger happens.

As for swaps, I was thinking maybe have the Q20a/b and Q44 based from CP and maybe shifting some of the QM express lines over to CS. Stuff like that.