R62s on the 4?

R32 3352

The fact is that right now in A-Div, the NTT's are on all of the longest lines. 6* > 2 > 4** > 5 > 3 > 1 > 7.

* = The 6 may only be a 52 minute route, but it's nearly 2 hours for the crew, as it includes a loop around the bridge and then you go back into service with no time for a comfort.

** = It's much longer at night when you go local to New Lots.

The 2/5 are gonna keep the 142's in order to keep Flatbush operating more efficiently. There is even a new strip map design which has the 2 stations above the lights and the 5 below them which should be implemented soon.

Political pressure is not going to trump operation efficiency. Not unless the upper east siders want to pay for new equipment out of their own pocket. They pay the same $2.25 as everyone else.

The 2/5 are gonna keep the 142's in order to keep Flatbush operating more efficiently. There is even a new strip map design which has the 2 stations above the lights and the 5 below them which should be implemented soon.

Couldn't it just have been FIND instead of a new design? Or is it too much $$$?

Given that the 'new design' is only a new sticker put onto the map, as opposed to a total overhaul of the display, it's definitely cheaper.

I can't imagine how they're going to fit all the information onto the map (especially transfers). And how is it going to say which route it is?

Given that the 'new design' is only a new sticker put onto the map, as opposed to a total overhaul of the display, it's definitely cheaper.

I can't imagine how they're going to fit all the information onto the map (especially transfers). And how is it going to say which route it is?

I imagine the words will be diagonal, pointing upward above the line on top (as it does now), and then pointing downward below the line on bottom.

I guess you would just have to know which line it was running on to know which route to look at. It might say "listen for announcements for route". Or maybe, there could be some currently unused lights that can be used to indicate which route

Guest Lance

There is even a new strip map design which has the 2 stations above the lights and the 5 below them which should be implemented soon.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to keep my eyes out for those.

Remember that, as someone pointed out in another thread, when the (2) uses (5) line equipment, the stop lights line up perfectly on both ends of the (2). I've taken the liberty of illustrating that with a heavily modified (5) line map to show the potential of a combined (2) / (5) map.

5NereidtoFlatbush25combinedstrip.png

As you can see, I've also added the transfers next to the stops. Of course, the font I used for the stops isn't Helvetica standard like it is on the actual strip maps for the (2) and (5) so that may impact how possible it would be to display the transfers. Looking at this from a rider's perspective and not as the creator of this thing, while it is able to display both routes, I imagine there will still be some confused riders. Though if this is implemented on the two lines' cars, it will be useful, not only for the usual daily swaps, but also when the (2) Dyre to 34 St/South Ferry / (5) 241 St to Flatbush G.O. is in place as the cars aren't swapped for that.

Oh, and by the way, I'm aware that the route incorrectly shows Jackson Av as a stop on the Bronx Thru Lexington Express and omits E 180 St. I just didn't see it when I was proofreading it earlier. Apparently my proofreading skills were lacking even when I noticed the error, which really wasn't an error in the first place. I was looking at the (2) stops when the map was illustrated to show the (5) from Nereid Av to Flatbush Av via WPR local, Lexington Av express. Yeah, it isn't good when even I can't decipher what I created.

First: that looks ridiculously confusing for daily riders, let alone tourists.

Second, there's no way to tell if it's a (2) or (5).

Everyone is just going to have to get used to it. It's better than when it glitches & the lights are displayed for the wrong route.

Second, the announcements are still there.

Are they going to pull off all the old stickers as well?

Oh, and by the way, I'm aware that the route incorrectly shows Jackson Av as a stop on the Bronx Thru Lexington Express and omits E 180 St. I just didn't see it when I was proofreading it earlier.

I'm pretty sure Jackson Avenue is a stop due to switch placement, actually...

Guest Lance

@NX Express: Well I'd imagine riders would have to follow along with which line it is according to what the overhead LED displays and the announcements show/say. But yeah, I can see how it would be confusing.

@Threxxbus: The switch between the local and express tracks is between Jackson Av and 3 Av-149 St. The new track maps on nycsubway.org are incorrect in that regard. It's kind of like an upside down Y from a south-north perspective.

Oh, and by the way, I'm aware that the route incorrectly shows Jackson Av as a stop on the Bronx Thru Lexington Express and omits E 180 St. I just didn't see it when I was proofreading it earlier.

It dosen't though, if you read it properly...

Remember that, as someone pointed out in another thread, when the (2) uses (5) line equipment, the stop lights line up perfectly on both ends of the (2). I've taken the liberty of illustrating that with a heavily modified (5) line map to show the potential of a combined (2) / (5) map.

As you can see, I've also added the transfers next to the stops. Of course, the font I used for the stops isn't Helvetica standard like it is on the actual strip maps for the (2) and (5) so that may impact how possible it would be to display the transfers. Looking at this from a rider's perspective and not as the creator of this thing, while it is able to display both routes, I imagine there will still be some confused riders. Though if this is implemented on the two lines' cars, it will be useful, not only for the usual daily swaps, but also when the (2) Dyre to 34 St/South Ferry / (5) 241 St to Flatbush G.O. is in place as the cars aren't swapped for that.

First: that looks ridiculously confusing for daily riders, let alone tourists.

The (5) line map ha the Dyre branch as a parallel branch. If that was done on this one, then the (2) and (5) would be able to share more stations (180th-149), and it would be a bit less confusing.

Otherwise, nice!

Installing FIND maps on the 142's would require complete rewiring of every single car, as well as programming overhaul on the TOD software, and there are much better things to put money towards than that. Installing these new stripmaps is just a process of getting them printed and swapped in, and an easy update of the TOD.

• 1 month later...

Oh, and by the way, I'm aware that the route incorrectly shows Jackson Av as a stop on the Bronx Thru Lexington Express and omits E 180 St. I just didn't see it when I was proofreading it earlier. Apparently my proofreading skills were lacking even when I noticed the error, which really wasn't an error in the first place. I was looking at the (2) stops when the map was illustrated to show the (5) from Nereid Av to Flatbush Av via WPR local, Lexington Av express. Yeah, it isn't good when even I can't decipher what I created.

I was going to like this but I've reached my positive votes for the day. :(

It's been a while since R62 cars operated on the (4) train. I wonder if they will ever operate on the (4) line again? Only time will tell...

As fantrip maybe, but other then that 2008 was the last time an R62 was seen on the (4).

They were all sent over to the (3) so the R62as can be sent to the (7) or the (1). R62s will probably stay on the (3) till they retire.

As fantrip maybe, but other then that 2008 was the last time an R62 was seen on the (4).

Oh, okay. Thanks, guys!

Archived