R62s on the 4?

R32 3352

So, today, I was checking out nycsubway.org, which is a great website for pictures of subways if you don't know, and found something very surprising. Under each model car (e.g. R160, R142), they have the routes said model runs on. Under the R62, it showed the 1, 3, 4, and 7. This was very surprising to me as I thought all of the Lexington Avenue Line was NTT. Has anyone actually seen these on the 4 in the past 10 or so years? I remember them dominating the Lexington before the 142s came in, but I digress. If anyone has actually seen these in the past decade, please comment. Because I'm rather interested to know when and if they're running on that line again.

-Nick

Guest Lance

There was also at least one set on the (4) back in 2008 when the R142s were undergoing scheduled maintenance.

That site hasn't been updated for ages. if you notice according to them R68's also still run on the (N) and (Q) and theres still no info about the R188's.

However, occasionally you do see an R68 on those two lines...

I think it's been updated recently though. For example it's taken 68s off the N and the 32s off all lines except the C. I'm not really sure.

Maybe it's been updated a little, but not nearly enough to make it a reliable source for these kinds of this which change from season to season.

Guest Lance

As I've said before, nycsubway.org is basically a one-man operation and it's a big site. Some of the information may be updated occasionally, but, outside of the photo updates, sections of the site are quite dated. For up to date information, I'd recommend using this site or TTMG.org before going to nycsubway.org.

• 3 weeks later...

What I heard from someone was that they were going to the (2), which I think would be crazy. They said, IIRC, some political pressure if trying to get them not to go to the (6), and then the entire West Side would be 62/62A, and the East side would be NTT.

But I said the (4) is where they should go, then, but it seemed they're trying to keep that as the showcase line on the A Div. Since the (1)(3)(4) and half the (6) got all the new cars in the last generation, while the (2)(5)(7) (and the other half of the (6)) got only redbird rebuilds, then the NTT's should have just gone to those lines, and the (4) just stick with its last generation cars. Maybe spruce up the interiors, so they don't look as dim and old.

If the R62As really do go to the (4), I wonder if they would bother to link the singles into permanent 5 car sets. And unless they implement 4 peak hour express in the bronx, then those LED indicators on the side panels would be a huge waste on the (4).

Archived