What song, radio station or music video are you listening to/watching?

MTR Admiralty

I've gotten tired of mainstream radio. I switched over to Sirius.

Although I'm a avid hip-hop fan. The hip-hop radio wars in NY are really stupid and I really laugh at it.

I agree with shortline with his analysis on the music genres of today. Most kids prefer Hip-hop & Rap music.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember that in the '90s and the beginning of the 21st Century, pop rock or you know, groups like Blink-182 and Sum 41, were quite popular with the more older crowd. I mean, if you see those college comedy movies, it's all rock songs. However, with younger kids, or the ones I went to school with, rap was the most popular. Many listened to 50 Cent, Fat Joe, Eminem and Dr. Dre. However, it seems to me that these guys have become more quite, and that hip hop has become the big thing.

Hey majority of you guys are on the boards are under 30 so of course many ofyou into either Hip-Hop, Reggeaton or Techno Dance. Remember not everyone is in the NYC 5 boros.

Too bad the music i grew up with mostly R&B/Old School Hip Hop and Rock is slowly fading away. :o

A certain someone is below 30 and isn't really a fan of Hip-Hop, Reggaeton or Techno dance :ph34r:

I wasn't born during 60's 70's or 80's but I sure love the oldies since I was a little kid.

Edited by NYCtrainfan01

VG8 little behind the times lol. If you asked teens/young adults ages 15-21, Rap/Hip-Hop is now the #1 prefered music genre in America. Second is country and Third is Rock N Roll. Thus that why in almost all big cities in US, there at least 2 or more "Rap" or Hip Hop Pop i.e Kelly Clarkson, Rhinna, Chris Brown, Katy Perry etc. radio stations. And 20th Century-oriented R&B iand Rock s slowly dying.

That a reason majority of the members on the boards ages 25 and under, White Black and Latino love it.

Only reason i have a "clue" myself is because last few years I been working with teens as a Teaching Asst./Sub Teacher.

Country is 2nd?? Thats a shock. I don't know anyone between the age of 15 and 21 who likes Country. They all like Hip Hop, Spanish music, Pop or Rock lol..

Country is 2nd?? Thats a shock. I don't know anyone between the age of 15 and 21 who likes Country. They all like Hip Hop, Spanish music, Pop or Rock lol..

Well if you been to the south and midwest you would know country is huge. Places like Nashville has as many 3-4 full time country stations. So there a world outside of NYC lol.

And NYCtrainfan i thought you 55 years of age lol? Joking. :D Seriously yes there 19 years old who prefer '70's/'80's classics. Just making point that the *average* 19-21 year old in NYC or most of America's bigger cities prefer Hip-Hop according to these stats.

Well if you been to the south and midwest you would know country is huge. Places like Nashville has as many 3-4 full time country stations. So there a world outside of NYC lol.

And NYCtrainfan i thought you 55 years of age lol? Joking. :D Seriously yes there 19 years old who prefer '70's/'80's classics. Just making point that the *average* 19-21 year old in NYC or most of America's bigger cities prefer Hip-Hop according to these stats.

Oh indeed, i forgot about the south liking country lol... But teens prefering hip-hop mostly is without a doubt correct.. In my school, maybe 80% of the students listen to Hip-Hop and rap and we frequently have discussions (and arguments) about songs and who is the best rapper, etc... In fact I'm listening to some Rap right now :)

Coming from Lower East Side, I was surrounded by Underground Hip-Hop and Rap, which is why I like it as much as I do today :D

Edited by MTAFanBoy512

VG8 little behind the times lol. If you asked teens/young adults ages 15-21, Rap/Hip-Hop is now the #1 prefered music genre in America. Second is country and Third is Rock N Roll. Thus that why in almost all big cities in US, there at least 2 or more "Rap" or Hip Hop Pop i.e Kelly Clarkson, Rhinna, Chris Brown, Katy Perry etc. radio stations. And 20th Century-oriented R&B iand Rock s slowly dying.

That a reason majority of the members on the boards ages 25 and under, White Black and Latino love it.

Only reason i have a "clue" myself is because last few years I been working with teens as a Teaching Asst./Sub Teacher.

I'm not behind at all... Quite frankly, no one disputes the fact that the 90s produced some of the greatest music... Rap, rock, metal.... It was quality... Today however, most of the stuff coming out is pure garbage, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

As for nerds listening to rap music.... That was certainly not happening back in the 90s... A sign of the times changing... :ph34r:

I'm not behind at all... Quite frankly, no one disputes the fact that the 90s produced some of the greatest music... Rap, rock, metal.... It was quality... Today however, most of the stuff coming out is pure garbage, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

As for nerds listening to rap music.... That was certainly not happening back in the 90s... A sign of the times changing... :ph34r:

The 1990's producing some of the greatest music? :mellow: Since you a hardcore Metal fan, VG8 that true. IMO even though the '90's did produce some good music, it's a bit strong to call it the best. Heard of the `1950's i.e Elvis? '60's i.e Motown and the Beatles '70's Elton John, Springstein, Marley, R&B, Disco and punk rock i.e The clash Police? Or even the 1980's? i.e U2, Micheal Jackson, RUN DMC, Bon Jovi?

Just be a bit more open minded VG8 in your music comments.

Well, there are differences in the quality of different rap songs and everything. Some are complete nonsense, but others are fine (A lot of the stuff I posted up wasn't even rap, but whatever)

In any case, now I'm listening to a montage to the (9) train, playing "In My Life" by the Beatles.

MTA Music Video, playing "Under My Umbrella" by Rihanna.

A Tribute to the R42s on the (L), playing "A Sad Pathway" by Musicshake

A Tribute to the R32, playing "Forever" by Chris Brown

A Tribute to R42s on the (M), Playing "Ti Amo"

Listening to 103.5 KTU (The Beat Of New York). Now Playing: Madonna- Holiday

KTU is still playing '80's music? Wow. Thought they played dance/techo and hip hip pop from 2000 onwards.

Hard to believe next in 2013 will be 30 years since that song debuted ('83)

and was madonna 1st major top 40 hit. :o