2012 MLB Thread

Shortline Bus

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Manny being Manny didn't work, what makes him think Ozzie being Ozzie was going to work. I think something is seriously wrong with the Marlins front office

Yup. The marlins current majority owner Lauria(who played a role in killing the old Expos club in Montreal before he took over this club)is not a great owner. While Lauria had just took over, when the Fish won in '03, it was with rookies/propsects in the minor leagues he got from previous and oringal owner Wayne Huizenga that led to winning that ws against teh Yankees.

Huizenga as many of you remember sold off his most of his players from the 1997 Championship team when Miami did not bulid a new baseball only stadium. It's a shame since the new Miami ballpark looks very nice from watching it on tv.

That was the worst. Their fan base just deserted the team for a while.

Keep in mind(due mainly to great weather almost year round) in South Fla, has maybe the worst sports fan base in America. Right now most of the fans down there only care about Lebron and the Heat. Even the NFL Dolphins, which had a long waiting list for years for tickets in Dan Marino era now barely sell out their games. And that reason, the new Marlins Park only holds around 32,000 seats..

Keep in mind(due mainly to great weather almost year round) in South Fla, has maybe the worst sports fan base in America. Right now most of the fans down there only care about Lebron and the Heat. Even the NFL Dolphins, which had a long waiting list for years for tickets in Dan Marino era now barely sell out their games. And that reason, the new Marlins Park only holds around 32,000 seats..

With that in mind, I think San Diego is second worst

Before i make my world series 2012 pick, a little know histroic anniversary in both MLB and sports history. 20 years ago today (10/24/1992)The Toronto Blue Jays won the 1992 World Series. The Jays became the first non-US baseball club to win the fall classic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_World_Series

For the current day, I picking the Giants over the Tigers in 6 games. Motown Bullpen scares me. Other than that these are pretty matched and even teams.

I think something is seriously wrong with the Marlins front office

What do they care? Mr. & Mrs. Rico Q Taxpayer down in Miami's gonna aid in paying off all those bloated contracts those players got.

Now I understand where they got all that money to offer those players... Some sports fans say that the front office had money the whole time, but they never spent it.... Bullshit - They were playing with house money the whole time in bringing in big name players to the Miami Marlins & overpaying them, and they gambled on the fact that the Marlins would a] draw in much more fans to the games than they did back when they were the Florida Marlins, and b] make it to the playoffs & go pretty far in it....

Automatically, New look + New attitude ≠ New results.....

Someone forgot to inform the jackasses that own & run the Marlins that bit of information.....

This is an old article, but I love the unscrupulous, unmitigated, and unadulterated gall Mr. David Samson (team president) has to call Miami Taxpayers stupid

With that in mind, I think San Diego is second worst
San Diego hasn't been relevant since 1998 imo.

In all honesty, sometimes I forget the San Diego Padres exist....

What do they care? Mr. & Mrs. Rico Q Taxpayer down in Miami's gonna aid in paying off all those bloated contracts those players got.

Now I understand where they got all that money to offer those players... Some sports fans say that the front office had money the whole time, but they never spent it.... Bullshit - They were playing with house money the whole time in bringing in big name players to the Miami Marlins & overpaying them, and they gambled on the fact that the Marlins would a] draw in much more fans to the games than they did back when they were the Florida Marlins, and b] make it to the playoffs & go pretty far in it....

Automatically, New look + New attitude ≠ New results.....

Someone forgot to inform the jackasses that own & run the Marlins that bit of information.....

This is an old article, but I love the unscrupulous, unmitigated, and unadulterated gall Mr. David Samson (team president) has to call Miami Taxpayers stupid

In all honesty, sometimes I forget the San Diego Padres exist....

In sense the Marlins moving from Miami's area version of the Meadowlands in Dolphins/Land Shark Stadium or w/e they called now lol is what the Islanders have done.

And B35, don't you dare diss my sister favorite MLB team, the San Diego Padres or she slap you. :lol: (joking)She still a NY Yankee fan even after all these years lol.

On serious matter, since the Padres have not made the playoff in at least 7-8 years, the Chargers are the most popular team in SD. Hell they are more LA Laker fans now in San Diego (just down road from LA)than Padre fans.

Give huge hands for the following:

1. Barry Zito. He pitched 5.2 innings of one-run baseball. He faced a powerful lineup and came through. After struggling so much over the past five years, including 2010 when he was left off the playoff roster, it's so great to see him performing at a high caliber. The Giants have not lost a game when he started since August 2. Extremely impressive, and the way he changed speeds and eye movement kept the Tigers' offense off-balance. He showed that, if you got the stuff, you don't need to throw 95 miles per hour to get hitters out. His curveball, changeup, cutter (his most secretive weapon and quite possibly the pitch that reinvented his arsenal), and fastball were fooling the Tigers' batters. When you're paired up against the reigning AL Cy Young winner and AL MVP, and you beat him, give him credit. And he's swinging a nice little bat, too, hitting an RBI single to extend the lead to 5-0. :lol:

2. Tim Lincecum. After a tough regular season, he's been a huge weapon out of the bullpen. His lone start wasn't good, but his appearances from the bullpen have been incredibly sharp. He basically reinvented himself during the playoffs. At any point, if the Giants need a long reliever, they can turn to him. An excellent 2.1 innings of relief from Lincecum.

3. Marco Scutaro. He batted .500 in the NLCS and didn't slow down. He hit a huge RBI single up the middle to give the Giants a 2-0 lead, who scored on the Panda's swing of his yardstick. Scutaro is one of those (desperately needed) old school hitters who will put the ball in play. He won't strike out a lot nor will he hit many home runs. He's shown time and time again how much he wants to win that ring and help out his club. Great defense in the NLCS followed by a continuation of great timely hitting tonight. He was partially responsible for schooling Verlander tonight.

4. Pablo Sandoval. Anyone needing to watch some Kung Fu Panda?! No, not the Dreamworks movie! The San Fran Kung Fu Panda! Sandoval was relegated to an emergency bench player/DH in the 2010 playoffs because of how much he struggled. He didn't have the power this season, but he was good nonetheless. But did he click at the right time. Six homers in the 2012 playoffs when he only had twelve all year. Three of them came tonight, all on some really good pitches. The 0-2 fastball wasn't a strike and up at the shoulder. The 2-0 fastball was along the outside corner. The 1-1 from Al Albuquerque (a very good finesse reliever) was a slider down that most people will hit way early and break some bats. Panda had never had a three-homer game throughout his entire baseball career. Did he pick the right time to do it! And when he's part of some really elite company in Babe Ruth, Reggie Jackson, and Albert Pujols, that's not something to sneeze at.

I'm not even watching the world series..... Figured Verlander would lose, but to tell the truth, I thought the giants would tag him & knock him out in the first 3-4 innings.... I don't care how many people say that I'm off base about this, but to this day, I still say that Verlander is overrated... No he's not a bum or a semi-star, but at the same token, he is not as great as people make him out to be.....

Soon as I saw the giants beat the cardinals, I said "giants in 5" (for the WS)... I'm not fooled with a supposed dominating performance by the tigers in the CS; looks like people are taking the bait - I have not heard one sports analyst predict the giants will win....

Every last one of them I heard, were stuck on how damn great the tigers rotation is all of a sudden.... only one person on MLB network mentioned how Miguel would impact the series as well... No mention of Prince, or the tigers offense as a collective (what does that tell you).... The gist of what I've been hearing about the chances of the giants winning the whole thing is basically predicated on lucksacking.... Really?

I guess 3 HR's by Sandoval & 11 freakin hits as a team classifies as luck these days.....

- "It's possible that they could face Verlander 3 times in this series" (mike greenberg)

Ah, Big deal.

I'm not even watching the world series..... Figured Verlander would lose, but to tell the truth, I thought the giants would tag him & knock him out in the first 3-4 innings.... I don't care how many people say that I'm off base about this, but to this day, I still say that Verlander is overrated... No he's not a bum or a semi-star, but at the same token, he is not as great as people make him out to be.....

Soon as I saw the giants beat the cardinals, I said "giants in 5" (for the WS)... I'm not fooled with a supposed dominating performance by the tigers in the CS; looks like people are taking the bait - I have not heard one sports analyst predict the giants will win....

Every last one of them I heard, were stuck on how damn great the tigers rotation is all of a sudden.... only one person on MLB network mentioned how Miguel would impact the series as well... No mention of Prince, or the tigers offense as a collective (what does that tell you).... The gist of what I've been hearing about the chances of the giants winning the whole thing is basically predicated on lucksacking.... Really?

I guess 3 HR's by Sandoval & 11 freakin hits as a team classifies as luck these days.....

- "It's possible that they could face Verlander 3 times in this series" (mike greenberg)

Ah, Big deal.

Exactly, people are overhyping the Tigers and forgetting that the Yankees beat themselves. The first 3 games could've gone to the Yankees if they scored a few runs, at least 4. So much for the 'bombers', they bombed big time. And I too wasn't surprised about them: I knew they were going to be in the playoffs, but when they couldn't score runs to save their asses, that series was done. Game 4 was the team just giving up. Had the Yankees (by a miracle) made it here, I think the results might've been the same except more zeros as I think the Giants' pen is much better than the Tigers as well. Either way, the Giants are the underdogs to most and I say 'FU" to those at ESPN and such places that don't give other teams the benefit of the doubt.

Game 2 of the World Series drew a record low TV rating for a WS game. Now we all know that this will be a short series as well with Detroit down 3 games to none. Nice postseason, MLB. *sarcasm*

You can now take out the brooms. Giants win game #3 2-0 and pretty much assured themselves world series rings for 2nd time in 3 years.

Jubaion what amazing was 30 years ago a Cardinals-Brewers world series (during 1982 NFL strike)actually drew 30 rating. You wont see that now (other than NFL) on any sports event.

Game 2 of this years world series on FOx (2012)actually did worse than Yankees-Tigers game 1 of ALCS (the infamous AROD Benching)on Cable TBS.

You can now take out the brooms. Giants win game #3 2-0 and pretty much assured themselves world series rings for 2nd time in 3 years.

Jubaion what amazing was 30 years ago a Cardinals-Brewers world series (during 1982 NFL strike)actually drew 30 rating. You wont see that now (other than NFL) on any sports event.

Game 2 of this years world series on FOx (2012)actually did worse than Yankees-Tigers game 1 of ALCS (the infamous AROD Benching)on Cable TBS.

I think this shows how much MLB depends on it's big market teams (Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Phillies) to be successful every year. If one of those teams were in the Series the ratings would be higher i'm sure. The casual fan is not going to watch a series between two teams like the Giants and Tigers that don't have that much of a following.

I think this shows how much MLB depends on it's big market teams (Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Phillies) to be successful every year. If one of those teams were in the Series the ratings would be higher i'm sure. The casual fan is not going to watch a series between two teams like the Giants and Tigers that don't have that much of a following.

Very true. On the '82 world series both teams i.e Cards and Brewers had several hall of Famers playing i.e Ozzie Smith, Bruce Sutter, Rollie Fingers and Robin Yount so that helped the ratings alot. Only reason the 2011 world series Rangers-Cards did descent (helped by what some call one of the best games in recent WS history in classic game (6))in ratings was how good it was. Only time small and mid market teams(which the SF Giants and Tigers are)get good ratings in US, is if it goes 6-7 games like last years Cards-Texas series.

FYI. Dont forget the Cubs as a big market team. The Cubs after the Yankees and Red Sox are the 3rd most popular team in MLB.

Could've been worse, it could've been Detroit and St Louis again. I dunno if the Cardinals can carry the ratings because of who they are, but I don't see the St. Louis market being bigger than San Fran.

I hope the Giants closes it out so the off season can start and regular programming can continue. Hard to give a damn when neither team I really care about are in it.

Could've been worse, it could've been Detroit and St Louis again. I dunno if the Cardinals can carry the ratings because of who they are, but I don't see the St. Louis market being bigger than San Fran.

I hope the Giants closes it out so the off season can start and regular programming can continue. Hard to give a damn when neither team I really care about are in it.

Actually Concourse both the SF Giants and Tigers are considered "Mid Market" team. St Louis is a much smaller city than both Detroit and SF. However the Cards since they have fans all over the midwest is considered almost a "Major Market" team and a bigger following across America than either the SF Giants or Tigers.

I don't understand Detroit. They can beat the Yankees in a playoff series, but can't win a championship.

These reasons are why:

1. San Francisco's pitching is much more solid, both the starting pitching and the bullpen. Vogelsong, Zito, and Bumgarner have been very good throughout the year. The Yankees have had great pitching, but it wasn't as consistent, especially during the month of August. San Francisco's pitching has been almost completely solid all year. And Lincecum has adjusted to his bullpen role brilliantly.

2. San Francisco, unlike the Yankees, don't rely on the home run ball to score. This team makes a lot of contact and score runs the old-fashioned way. Scutaro, Sandoval, Posey, and Pagan have been huge for this team, especially following Melky Cabrera's suspension for his positive drug test. San Francisco's offense is equivalent to the 2003 Marlins, 2005 White Sox, and almost every Tampa Bay Rays team since 2008: great pitching with an excellent small-ball attack. The Yankees are almost completely 2D in their hitting, with Ichiro, Jeter, and Eduardo Nunez being exceptions; and Detroit took advantage.

3. The five-day layoff is proving to be a huge factor. Jim Leyland deserves credit for playing the scrimmage game for two days to keep the team active, but sometimes that's not enough. Over the past several years, we've seen how much teams struggle when they're off. Baseball players want to play on the field with an occasional day off. Rarely do we see teams have about a week off between the LCS and World Series and play effectively. Detroit's bats are much slower in this World Series: Pitches that they'd normally hit hard are getting late/early contact.

These reasons are why:

1. San Francisco's pitching is much more solid, both the starting pitching and the bullpen. Vogelsong, Zito, and Bumgarner have been very good throughout the year. The Yankees have had great pitching, but it wasn't as consistent, especially during the month of August. San Francisco's pitching has been almost completely solid all year. And Lincecum has adjusted to his bullpen role brilliantly.

2. San Francisco, unlike the Yankees, don't rely on the home run ball to score. This team makes a lot of contact and score runs the old-fashioned way. Scutaro, Sandoval, Posey, and Pagan have been huge for this team, especially following Melky Cabrera's suspension for his positive drug test. San Francisco's offense is equivalent to the 2003 Marlins, 2005 White Sox, and almost every Tampa Bay Rays team since 2008: great pitching with an excellent small-ball attack. The Yankees are almost completely 2D in their hitting, with Ichiro, Jeter, and Eduardo Nunez being exceptions; and Detroit took advantage.

3. The five-day layoff is proving to be a huge factor. Jim Leyland deserves credit for playing the scrimmage game for two days to keep the team active, but sometimes that's not enough. Over the past several years, we've seen how much teams struggle when they're off. Baseball players want to play on the field with an occasional day off. Rarely do we see teams have about a week off between the LCS and World Series and play effectively. Detroit's bats are much slower in this World Series: Pitches that they'd normally hit hard are getting late/early contact.

True my friend. Just like in '06, the Tigers (barring biggest comeback in world series history)will lose in a short series due to long layoff. That is a reason why say in the divisional rounds, the top seeds are now reguarly "upset" since they clinched their playoff spots a week or more earlier than the low seed/wild cards. Baseball is not like hockey or nba basketball in which long breaks between winning playoff rounds is a benefit. It becoming a disadvantage.

Archived