The Official SPEED Thread

Had an R62 on the 3 reach 50 south of 50th St. earlier this week. That was a GOOD train, good brakes on it as well (yes I said that about an R62).

And yes, the speedometer was reliable.

The highest I've seen is 51 (around CC downtown), and that was about 7 months ago.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got on an R142A 6 express train from hunts point avenue to parckchester and using a speedometer app on my phone, I got up 49 mph!!! Insane!!! And on the way back, taking the local train, I clocked the local at 38 mph between st Lawrence and Morrison sound view, the 6 train really hauls ass into longwood, I'd feel about 40 mph into longwood, I love the 6!!!

Hunts Point to Parkchester is the fastest run on the 6. It won't get as fast going southbound (43-45) before timers slow you down at Elder to go around the curve over the bridge and down the portal into Hunts Point.

3rd Ave. to Hunts Point and vice versa is quite slow in both directions, but you can get some speed up passing through Longwood northbound, and through Cypress southbound.

It also features 2 of the fastest local stations in A division - 77th St. southbound and 96th St. northbound. The other fast local stations are 50th St. southbound on the 1, 33rd St. southbound on the 7, and Pelham Parkway southbound on the 2.

Edited by SubwayGuy

I just found this on the bombardier website and I think this is pretty absurd for a subway car, look at the technical data, http://www.bombardier.com/en/transportation/products-services/rail-vehicles/metros/new-york-city--usa?docID=0901260d8000f8c8#

that wasn't there before. someone must have changed the entry for top speed. it was 55 mph before.

What's the reason for the timer south of Spring Street on the (A) route heading downtown?

Downtown (A) trains went fast until around 2009/2010 when that new installed timer was placed there.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Today, on the 6 the express run from hunts point to parkchester, I had up to 53 mph, no joke, it was insane :) whoever said the NTT's or the R142's is difficult to get to 55 mph is wrong, the R142A hit 53 no problem, if it can hit up to 50+ mph going past just 4 stops, just imagine what it could do in the 60 street tube :)

What's the reason for the timer south of Spring Street on the (A) route heading downtown?

Downtown (A) trains went fast until around 2009/2010 when that new installed timer was placed there.

As mentioned before, they did it to "protect" the new interlocking south of canal street.

• 5 months later...

Reminds me, I had a T/O on the 7 positively flying the other day. The highest I saw us get up to was about 42, but it was more the location that made it interesting. I forget what station--maybe 61st?--we were coming into, but the speed limit was 15mph on the entrance and on the exit, and we came in at 39-40 and didn't brake until halfway into the station. Left the station at full speed as well, guess this guy wasn't too concerned about those limits lol...

Edited by MHV9218

Reminds me, I had a T/O on the 7 positively flying the other day. The highest I saw us get up to was about 42, but it was more the location that made it interesting. I forget what station--maybe 61st?--we were coming into, but the speed limit was 15mph on the entrance and on the exit, and we came in at 39-40 and didn't brake until halfway into the station. Left the station at full speed as well, guess this guy wasn't too concerned about those limited lol...

I consider it lucky to get one of those T/O's these days. General operating style has gotten more conservative as of late with all the timer additions over the past few years.

Well, they also prevent accidents too and keep trains on time. I think that timers on the express tracks that are nowhere near an express stop should either have their clearing speeds increased or the timers taken out in general. It's very telling when a local train can beat an express train on a run between two express stations.

On the local side, I personally believe timers are needed more since there are more stops, and an increased need for protection. 

Last point @Justin: You have to also take into account grades and curves when it comes to timers. That's a reason why there are so many. An area seems safe, there's an accident--they put in timers to hopefully prevent future accidents.

-A  :ph34r:

A little off-topic here, but i'm pretty sure the reason why we have timers is to prevent accidents. Look at the Broad St line in Philly; trains on the express go up to 70, but the headways are long.

Im sorry but the headways are not long.In fact BSX trains have a shorter headway than the (J) (7 minutes for the BSX,10 minutes for the (J) )

It's true, if I'm correct, SEPTA has its speed limit at 55mph, however in practice, operators hit over 60 MPH at least on certian portions of the system. I've seen it for myself living in Pennsylvania. Ive also heard comments on the net from SEPTA employees confirming this on youtube.

It's true, if I'm correct, SEPTA has its speed limit at 55mph, however in practice, operators hit over 60 MPH at least on certian portions of the system. I've seen it for myself living in Pennsylvania. Ive also heard comments on the net from SEPTA employees confirming this on youtube.

RRD(Regional Rail) trains can hit 85 mph on straight stretches...

Does anyone know what justification is used by the TA to keep the CPW express slow between 59th and 125th Street? Southbound is slower than northbound for the most part.  I know there's a major switch just south of 81st Street and there once was a derailment just north of the same station, but otherwise, I don't see the point of the express dragging it's wheels for sixty-six uninterrupted blocks.  The run seemed faster a couple of years ago, but now it's just become so damn slow.  

But downtown IND trains move at 30-39 MPH from 125th to midway between 86th and 81st. That's where it is smooth/fast until midway between 86th and 81st. The slower part is around the bend south of 72nd.

For uptown, the trains go about 30-39 or so MPH from 59th until midway out of 103rd or 110th. The slower part is 116th, due to the curve between that station and 125th. Those timers only loose you about a minute or two. I've been on many (A)(D) rides where they get between 125th and 59th in 7 minutes so its not really as slow as others make it out to be.

If the (A)(D) don't go their usual speeds on the CPW Express and keep on braking, then its obvious that there's another train ahead which forces the timers to prevent the train behind from rocking and create more space between the two.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Does anyone know what justification is used by the TA to keep the CPW express slow between 59th and 125th Street? Southbound is slower than northbound for the most part.  I know there's a major switch just south of 81st Street and there once was a derailment just north of the same station, but otherwise, I don't see the point of the express dragging it's wheels for sixty-six uninterrupted blocks.  The run seemed faster a couple of years ago, but now it's just become so damn slow.

Ultimately as a result of the Union Square Wreck, Williamsburg Bridge accident, and the West End Line collision(s), field shunting was removed from all revenue cars. As an additional measure at reestablishing revised safety protocols more timers installed at key interlocking points along pretty much all the fixed block systems of the lines, particularly the IND CPW, BMT 4th Ave and the IRT Lex. Before then all these lines wee much faster in accordance with original architectural design.

But downtown IND trains move at 30-39 MPH from 125th to midway between 86th and 81st. That's where it is smooth/fast until midway between 86th and 81st. The slower part is around the bend south of 72nd.

For uptown, the trains go about 30-39 or so MPH from 59th until midway out of 103rd or 110th. The slower part is 116th, due to the curve between that station and 125th. Those timers only loose you about a minute or two. I've been on many (A)(D) rides where they get between 125th and 59th in 7 minutes so its not really as slow as others make it out to be.

If the (A)(D) don't go their usual speeds on the CPW Express and keep on braking, then its obvious that there's another train ahead which forces the timers to prevent the train behind from rocking and create more space between the two.

My moms cousin was a T/O in the 70s and 80s and told me a story he made the CPW 59st to 125th in like 6 and a half he said he was flying and that train was rocking had to start braking almost a whole train length before the station.

My moms cousin was a T/O in the 70s and 80s and told me a story he made the CPW 59st to 125th in like 6 and a half he said he was flying and that train was rocking had to start braking almost a whole train length before the station.

If memory serves, they had an original IND car from the early years of the system fly down CPW at breakneck speed. Keep in mind that back then operations were a lot more barebones and risky.

The glory days of the system in terms of operations was the 50s. Everything had just recently opened, nothing had been completely destroyed by deferred maintenance, and system ridership was at a postwar high.