Should NICE consider articulated buses?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

N6 couldnt use artics...  They wont work in the bays at HTC or Jamaica.  They would work on the N4.  They would have no problem making the turns at Archer & Freeport.  The N20/21 is iffy... the circle at GNRR is to tight to allow them.  Its bad enough with a regular bus.  Under MSBA there were 2 Artics back in the 80's.  They were mainly used on the N88, bus discontinued after the overseas manufacturer went out of business and parts were not available.  I have pics I'll post...

N6 couldnt use artics...  They wont work in the bays at HTC or Jamaica.  They would work on the N4.  They would have no problem making the turns at Archer & Freeport.  The N20/21 is iffy... the circle at GNRR is to tight to allow them.  Its bad enough with a regular bus.  Under MSBA there were 2 Artics back in the 80's.  They were mainly used on the N88, bus discontinued after the overseas manufacturer went out of business and parts were not available.  I have pics I'll post...

Coming from an LI Bus operator, this means something. Are you sure they couldn't somehow get an artic into HTC like on one of the parking spots on the side that drivers use? Jamaica is also getting tested for artics by the (MTA) currently for JFK depot, so if they approve, I don't see why NICE couldn't send artics there. Artics on the n20 would be good for the n20 limited skipping Great Neck like you said. Also good for the N88. Also, do you know anything about the N87 possibly coming back this summer?

Guest MTA Bus

I think the main problem with NICE getting artics is that it can't really be assigned to only one route, since NICE interlines almost every run on every bus.

Coming from an LI Bus operator, this means something. Are you sure they couldn't somehow get an artic into HTC like on one of the parking spots on the side that drivers use? Jamaica is also getting tested for artics by the (MTA) currently for JFK depot, so if they approve, I don't see why NICE couldn't send artics there. Artics on the n20 would be good for the n20 limited skipping Great Neck like you said. Also good for the N88. Also, do you know anything about the N87 possibly coming back this summer?

Is the N20 LTD that crowded? It does well skip great neck and roslyn what makes it such a draw to need artics yet it is rush hr only? Explain.

Is the N20 LTD that crowded? It does well skip great neck and roslyn what makes it such a draw to need artics yet it is rush hr only? Explain.

The earlier 20 LTDs are not that busy but if you take one of the later ones around 5 pm to Flushing, the bus is gonna be packed.

so N20 LTD is underserved?

No, they're scheduled wrong. I have an upcoming video from a ride I took yesterday that the bus was supposed to be a LIMITED like it says on the schedule, but the driver was a moron and just decided to stop and not stop where he pleased.

No, they're scheduled wrong. I have an upcoming video from a ride I took yesterday that the bus was supposed to be a LIMITED like it says on the schedule, but the driver was a moron and just decided to stop and not stop where he pleased.

I thought that the only thing that made it limited is that it used the Roslyn Viaduct and bypassed Great Neck?

So it's good enough as a rush hour only bus bidirectional?

Yes, but in the afternoon, there should be more local buses to Hicksville and less LIMITEDs to Hicksville because most of the buses aren't even SRO.

• 1 month later...

Havent been on for a while so I guess we all know about the 87 now...

Also...  I can confirm that there are at least plans to look into Artics in the near future.  I have that from two different sources "upstairs".  We shall see...

I have been wondering lately, should NICE purchase a very small fleet of articulated buses? Palm Tran a small transit operator in Florida has already purchased some articulated buses; why can't NICE do the same.

NICE will buy whatever the County decides to pay for.

NICE will buy whatever the County decides to pay for.

If NICE puts out a procurement for artic buses one year and thats the only order they place that year, the county/state will fund it.

Don't artic on n20 could might not be possible because CW Post section and Old Westbury U-turn road might be hard to turn and might properly hit the curb.

I think artic could use NYIT loop because Neoplan Artic on W40/W41 Bee-Line bus always hit the curb at Westchester Medical Center's Main Entrance loop from street.

any particular routes in mind?

Havent been on for a while so I guess we all know about the 87 now...

Also...  I can confirm that there are at least plans to look into Artics in the near future.  I have that from two different sources "upstairs".  We shall see...

Any particular routes in mind?

any particular routes in mind?

Any particular routes in mind?

n4,n6,n20,n22,n40/41,n70/71/72 are the busiest routes which come to mind. As far as terminals go, at HTC and 165th they will have to stop on the street outside, it's not a big deal.

• 2 months later...

n4

n6: It should stop outside of transit center near n6 bay.

n20: It properly have to go around north plaza of Great Neck Station to get to south side of Great Neck Station.

n22

n23: Not sure if bus could make turn at Manorhaven terminus.

n27:

n31/32: It should stop outside of transit center near n31/32 bay.

n33: It should use artic during summer season.

n40/41: It should use artic.

n54/55: It should use artic.

n70/71/72: It should use artic.

n88: it should use artic.

n4

n6: It should stop outside of transit center near n6 bay.

n20: It properly have to go around north plaza of Great Neck Station to get to south side of Great Neck Station.

n22

n23: Not sure if bus could make turn at Manorhaven terminus.

n27:

n31/32: It should stop outside of transit center near n31/32 bay.

n33: It should use artic during summer season.

n40/41: It should use artic.

n54/55: It should use artic.

n70/71/72: It should use artic.

n88: it should use artic.

N55/54?

Archived