Should NICE consider articulated buses?

I've done it, running from the LIRR to the N40...knocking on the door is no problem so long as the bus is stopped.

Yeah, I've done it plenty of times too.

Most of the time, the bus driver ignores the passenger banging on the door and pulls out of the bay.

Shows you how "NICE" the driver is...

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never been on a double decker bus, but having been on some crowded LIRR C3's, I don't like the idea. People standing in the stairwell are very likely to be injured in an accident. That said, I don't think double decker buses would fit on LI either, with low overpasses and traffic lights everywhere.

I believe in using artics, if only for the N4 and N6. Changing the routing into a terminal/turnaround loop shouldn't be that complex.

That's what I said to Rahul Kumar, hopefully he gets it, same with Mike Setzer. Articulated buses has less limitations than Double Decker buses. Same for a truck with OverSized Load versus a regular 18-wheeler.

The "injury" is a lame excuse, Anyone can get hurt on a bus during an accident. There are no seatbelts, and there can be standees. They use Double Deckers all around the world, time to get with the times.

I email Long Island Bus about articulated bus, and they articulated bus are unsafe for suburb.

Hmm, I see a lot of articulated buses in Westchester.

The "injury" is a lame excuse, Anyone can get hurt on a bus during an accident. There are no seatbelts, and there can be standees. They use Double Deckers all around the world, time to get with the times.

Double Deckers travel at waddling speeds and have the loudest engine i've ever heard.

There's no problem with sending them to MF. Just from MF, they should go right to Hempstead and do the N6, or the N40/41.

I know, but now that I thought about it, if an articulated bus runs into Hempstead, or any bus terminal, How can they fit without interferring with other buses passing as well. The Jamaica Terminal might have problems as well. There are too many buses entrting or departing HTC that go by through the bays, so why not terminate bus runs outside the terminal and run from outside the terminal as well.

If the bus is pulling out and the next one is 30 minutes away, I don't think it's going too far to knock on the door. It's not like you're throwing yourself in front of the bus or anything.

But what if it was the last bus of the day, and the driver leaves without opening the door, and there is a passenger knocking?

But what if it was the last bus of the day, and the driver leaves without opening the door, and there is a passenger knocking?

What's your point? I said "It's not going too far". As somebody who's chased down buses for a good 7-8 blocks when the next one is 10 minutes away and I'm not running late, what do you expect me to say? That they're wrong for tapping on the door?

Slightly off-topic, but relative, I have done it when I was testing S89 during first week, running from HBLR southbound side to last S89 AM Rush Hour b/c I missed trip planner HBLR b/c I didn't know how to violate ticket then.

I have also done it from doing MTA Days when I took LIRR which got late due to smoke condition in ERT, and from Babylon Station, I said "Hold the N72" and someone did and just made it in 3 minutes (from the eastbound end of platform to westbound end of platform where N72 was it.

Slightly off-topic, but relative, I have done it when I was testing S89 during first week, running from HBLR southbound side to last S89 AM Rush Hour b/c I missed trip planner HBLR b/c I didn't know how to violate ticket then.

I have also done it from doing MTA Days when I took LIRR which got late due to smoke condition in ERT, and from Babylon Station, I said "Hold the N72" and someone did and just made it in 3 minutes (from the eastbound end of platform to westbound end of platform where N72 was it.

LOL@ Violate the ticket.

In any case, why would you need to validate the ticket if you got off the HBLR and onto the S89? If nobody checked the ticket, you could always keep it and use it for next time (or if you really feel guilty about it, just toss the ticket away or don't use it).

In any case, the point is that running for a bus and shouting "Hold it" or tapping on the door is nothing out of the ordinary. I've lost track of how many times I've either done it myself or seen somebody else do it.

LOL@ Violate the ticket.

In any case, why would you need to validate the ticket if you got off the HBLR and onto the S89? If nobody checked the ticket, you could always keep it and use it for next time (or if you really feel guilty about it, just toss the ticket away or don't use it).

In any case, the point is that running for a bus and shouting "Hold it" or tapping on the door is nothing out of the ordinary. I've lost track of how many times I've either done it myself or seen somebody else do it.

Slightly off-topic,

After Queens Library, I took PATH to Hoboken then HBLR, got 1-way ticket validated. I wasn't prepare, and was little confuse with TVM, so I missed trip lineraty I was following from NJT Trip Planner print out, and next HBLR was running little late.

I email Long Island Bus about articulated bus, and they articulated bus are unsafe for suburb.

Why would anyone care what (MTA) Long Island Bus opinion is on artic's on Long Island? After all we are talking whether Veolia would use artic's on Long Island.

Never been on a double decker bus, but having been on some crowded LIRR C3's, I don't like the idea. People standing in the stairwell are very likely to be injured in an accident. That said, I don't think double decker buses would fit on LI either, with low overpasses and traffic lights everywhere.

I believe in using artics, if only for the N4 and N6. Changing the routing into a terminal/turnaround loop shouldn't be that complex.

If a standard 13.5' high tractor-trailer can barely fit under LIRR underpasses, how the hell will those fabled double deckers, which have an ice cube's chance in hell of even making it here, fit under them? That Envirosmellsgoodwhatever is 13'9" and don't go telling me that they'll be modified or somehow the expansion of the metal under the heat will raise the bridge....

This has been discussed in a thread on DD's... If tractor trailers fit so would DD's that are lower than trailers, I posted the dimensions from ABC companies in that thread. As for power, power lines are high enough on main roads (even side roads). When's the last time a tractor trailer has taken out a power line on a major road like Merrick Rd. (N4)? That's because they're high enough so tractor trailers can't just rip them down.

I think DD's would be a great option for the N4 (probably other routes too but I don't know anything about the bus routing for them so I'll just stick with they opinion that they'll be great on the N4). I'll see if I can find a list of low bridges on Merrick Rd, if not maybe I'll take a ride along the route.

Why would anyone care what (MTA) Long Island Bus opinion is on artic's on Long Island? After all we are talking whether Veolia would use artic's on Long Island.

This has been discussed in a thread on DD's... If tractor trailers fit so would DD's that are lower than trailers, I posted the dimensions from ABC companies in that thread. As for power, power lines are high enough on main roads (even side roads). When's the last time a tractor trailer has taken out a power line on a major road like Merrick Rd. (N4)? That's because they're high enough so tractor trailers can't just rip them down.

A LIPA truck during the aftermath of the hurricane on Merrick Ave made a wide left and took out a telephone pole on Merrick/Camp Ave intersection. Made me wait just one more day for power to be restored.

I think DD's would be a great option for the N4 (probably other routes too but I don't know anything about the bus routing for them so I'll just stick with they opinion that they'll be great on the N4). I'll see if I can find a list of low bridges on Merrick Rd, if not maybe I'll take a ride along the route.

You can't have standees on the upper floor, though.

Guest MTA Bus

The one route that definitely needs artics is the N6. Every day, that bus is always full. Even on the weekends, that bus is packed. Also, as for artics at Jamaica, you can have them drop off and/or Pick Up at the Q17 bus stop on Merrick behind the terminal

A LIPA truck during the aftermath of the hurricane on Merrick Ave made a wide left and took out a telephone pole on Merrick/Camp Ave intersection. Made me wait just one more day for power to be restored.

That sucks, he took out a telephone phone pole or low hanging wires? I don't see what a driver being careless in a LIPA truck has to do with DD's on the N4, it's not like the N4 turns there. Unless you are saying he took out low hanging lines, that's because of the storm, tractor trailers are on Merrick everyday.

Ok then there will be no standees on a DD... I don't understand the problem, if they can pull it off in larger cities like Vegas why would the no standees rule on the top floor of a DD be a problem in Nassau County? BTW the Van Hool TD925 has a seating capacity of 81.

That sucks, he took out a telephone phone pole or low hanging wires? I don't see what a driver being careless in a LIPA truck has to do with DD's on the N4, it's not like the N4 turns there. Unless you are saying he took out low hanging lines, that's because of the storm, tractor trailers are on Merrick everyday.

Ok then there will be no standees on a DD... I don't understand the problem, if they can pull it off in larger cities like Vegas why would the no standees rule on the top floor of a DD be a problem in Nassau County? BTW the Van Hool TD925 has a seating capacity of 81.

Because people will always want to get on, even if that means standing in front of that yellow line.

We're talking about SEATING for 81 people, that's a lot! How many people are standing on a standard 40 ft bus? Plus I assume standee's would be allowed in the lower level? If the bus is full the bus is full, sorry if people still want to get on it. Like I said if they can combat a problem like this in Vegas why couldn't they handle it in Nassau County? "They listen to us in Vegas and don't get on the bus, but in Nassau County they just get on anyway..." lol come on...

Flag the stop and if you have to stop only allow the number of passengers on that got off... People will stand up against the windshield on standard NICE buses if the B/O allows it, this has nothing to do with the bus no matter what type of bus it is. ;)

Because there are so many seats there is little to no Standee Room

Ok, so how many people are currently on the N6 or N4 with standing room only? More than 81? DD's would give people more people a seat along a long route and probably accommodate more people sitting than on a standing room only NICE Orion... No?

I agree. When my Korean friend who was born in Japan and only speak Japanese,

he also bought ticket for me on Brooklyn Grayline Tour.pl

After lunch at Atlantic Av, our Grayline Double-Decker Bus's Brooklyn Loop Tour was crowded on upper level when I was only taking pic of attraction and buses, one of tour service say I wasn't suppose but he let me take pic until driver made special rest break on B41 stop.

When I was on first line on DD on MegaBus to DC, Mega Bus B/O didn't say anything.

Yeah, London doesn't allow upper floor standees. Just get some artics and solve this crowding mess.

@Burrstone there may be more than 81 people on that bus but on a DD there is only stands room for 15-16 people.

@Burrstone there may be more than 81 people on that bus but on a DD there is only stands room for 15-16 people.

And that's no more than a normal 40' bus...

A normal 40 foot bus accommodates more than 96 people?

I'm having a hard time believing that. The reason, why would Veolia consider DD's in Nassau and why would either Veolia or Vegas spend the money on DD's if standard 40 footers could get the job done?

IF what you both say is true, one reason the DD's are superior to regular 40 footers is that you are providing a seat for a majority of riders instead of the other way around.

Archived