Should NICE consider articulated buses?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regular-sized buses work better for the passengers because in order to get the same capacity, they have to run more frequently, which obviously gives the passengers more flexibility.

Regular sized as in 40fters? Have you been on those NG CNGs they got out there?! Also, most of these NICE routes are like...what....50% on time to say the least? Routes, especially the N6, N20, 21 and N22 get extremely packed and those NG CNGs dont make things any better for anyone, frequent or not!

1988: MSBA orders and received twenty 30 foot Gilligs and forty-one 40 foot Gilligs.

1990: MSBA orders and received the first Orion Vs in the (MTA). They do so well, they order several hundred for New York City. Those buses served almost 20 years and up until around 2007, still served as LIRR shuttles when needed.

That two year span between the Gilligs and Orions tells me something... the Gilligs were pieces of shit. Apparently there were the old Grummans as well in 1990 but I think an Orion V CNG order (mid '90s) got rid of those.

I can also confirm that NICE is looking into New Flyer for Articulated Buses, however Rahul Kumar the Design management guy {yep he is indian} prefer Alexander Dennis EnviroSeries DoubleDeckers citing maneuverability. Routes talked about are the n6, though n4 and n22 might see tests, no solid timeline is set yet.

I can also confirm that NICE is looking into New Flyer for Articulated Buses, however Rahul Kumar the Design management guy {yep he is indian} prefer Alexander Dennis EnviroSeries DoubleDeckers citing maneuverability. Routes talked about are the n6, though n4 and n22 might see tests, no solid timeline is set yet.

Never been on a double decker bus, but having been on some crowded LIRR C3's, I don't like the idea. People standing in the stairwell are very likely to be injured in an accident. That said, I don't think double decker buses would fit on LI either, with low overpasses and traffic lights everywhere.

I believe in using artics, if only for the N4 and N6. Changing the routing into a terminal/turnaround loop shouldn't be that complex.

If a standard 13.5' high tractor-trailer can barely fit under LIRR underpasses, how the hell will those fabled double deckers, which have an ice cube's chance in hell of even making it here, fit under them? That Envirosmellsgoodwhatever is 13'9" and don't go telling me that they'll be modified or somehow the expansion of the metal under the heat will raise the bridge....

If a standard 13.5' high tractor-trailer can barely fit under LIRR underpasses, how the hell will those fabled double deckers, which have an ice cube's chance in hell of even making it here, fit under them? That Envirosmellsgoodwhatever is 13'9" and don't go telling me that they'll be modified or somehow the expansion of the metal under the heat will raise the bridge....

What's the height of the Megabus double deckers? 13' 9"?

Regular sized as in 40fters? Have you been on those NG CNGs they got out there?! Also, most of these NICE routes are like...what....50% on time to say the least? Routes, especially the N6, N20, 21 and N22 get extremely packed and those NG CNGs dont make things any better for anyone, frequent or not!

You can also added more buses to the route!

http://www.alexander-dennis.com/uploads/files/e500_transit_low_height_n_america_spec_sheet_1.pdf

http://alexander-dennis.com/product-details.php?s=82&subs=45&tableID=222&itemID=4

Never been on a double decker bus, but having been on some crowded LIRR C3's, I don't like the idea. People standing in the stairwell are very likely to be injured in an accident. That said, I don't think double decker buses would fit on LI either, with low overpasses and traffic lights everywhere.

I believe in using artics, if only for the N4 and N6. Changing the routing into a terminal/turnaround loop shouldn't be that complex.

That's what I said to Rahul Kumar, hopefully he gets it, same with Mike Setzer. Articulated buses has less limitations than Double Decker buses. Same for a truck with OverSized Load versus a regular 18-wheeler.

If these articulated buses had problems on the north shore, leave it on the south shore. I would send artics to RC Depot, since it has the n4,n15,n31/32, bus routes, which are in need of some

There's no problem with sending them to MF. Just from MF, they should go right to Hempstead and do the N6, or the N40/41.

There's no problem with sending them to MF. Just from MF, they should go right to Hempstead and do the N6, or the N40/41.

The articulated buses can't fit into the bays. They might block the buses entering and exiting the Hempstead Terminal.

The articulated buses can't fit into the bays. They might block the buses entering and exiting the Hempstead Terminal.

I've suggested in numerous posts that the artics not use the bays. They would use those side parking spots inside Hempstead Terminal.

I've suggested in numerous posts that the artics not use the bays. They would use those side parking spots inside Hempstead Terminal.

1. But the bays were made for buses stopping at the Terminal. Each route has a designated bay, some routes even share a bay like the N16/N17 to Rockville Centre, or the N54/N55 to Sunrise Mall.

2. The last thing NICE passengers need right now is another reason to run to catch the bus. They're already running from one bay to bay, trying to catch the N16, N6, or N35 before the driver closes the door and pulls out of the bay. Some even go as far as to knock on the doors, hoping the bus driver is nice enough to let them in.

Some even go as far as to knock on the doors, hoping the bus driver is nice enough to let them in.

If the bus is pulling out and the next one is 30 minutes away, I don't think it's going too far to knock on the door. It's not like you're throwing yourself in front of the bus or anything.

If the bus is pulling out and the next one is 30 minutes away, I don't think it's going too far to knock on the door. It's not like you're throwing yourself in front of the bus or anything.

I've done it, running from the LIRR to the N40...knocking on the door is no problem so long as the bus is stopped.

Most of the time, the bus driver ignores the passenger banging on the door and pulls out of the bay.

Archived