Nassau Inter-County Express Proposals and Ideas

VWM

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the system, but I know enough to know that Nassau would definitely benefit from having it implemented. I imagine the system would work if 1) a bus approaches a red light and triggers a distance sensor or 2) the system notices (via GPS) a bus is sitting a single position for a long period of time and the traffic light is red.

Depends on what system you choose, there are a few different systems going around. To start with the ones you 'imagined':

1) Yes, that one exists.

2) Yes, that one exists but only in one place in the world: the area of Twente, The Netherlands. AFAIK there's also tests being done in a few places in the USA but not to an extent in which you can call it a proven system yet.

Furthermore there's:

3) VETAG (Vehicle Tagging) which consists of an induction trigger area under the asphalt, placed at some distance. The bus sends its route number (which is programmed in the priority system) to the trigger area using a transponder and if it matches (if set up correctly, of course it does!) the trigger area notifies (using a signal) the bus traffic light to go green (or white, depending on the use case) and all the rest to go red.

4) VECOM (Vehicle Communication) which is an improved version of VETAG. The most notable change is that the induction trigger area can also send signals to the bus via its transponder (with VETAG only the bus can send signals to the trigger area).

5) KAR which uses a radio signal (usually FM frequency but AM frequency is also possible) to notify the traffic light.

• 2 weeks later...

#3 and #4, how well are those systems utilized. Where are they used? How many of them are in the world? How long have they been used?

#3 has been in use ever since the first segregated bus network opened, IIRC that was in Brazil in the 70s. Its widely used across the world, the ones I know are at least: Brazil, The Netherlands, England and Belgium. #4 is in use since the late 90s/early 00s and it's used in Germany, Los Angeles (a bit modified though), a few areas in The Netherlands, Swiss, Canada and Japan.

But that's *only* from the top of my head. Many countries have BRT networks or segregated bus lanes it's impossible to know what each and every one of them use. But from my technical knowledge on this subject is that at least aforementioned countries have #3 and #4 in use and probably other countries too since #3 and #4 are international BRT standards.

• 2 weeks later...

The bottom of the barrel routes do need some type of restructuring. While I'm not making any route changes to the routes, there are some headway changes and schedule changes.

N73/ N74:

Buses would run on a 70 minute headway during midday hours (8:30 AM- 3:50 PM to WAN; 9:10 AM- 3:15 PM to HICKSVILLE)

Wantagh Bound Departure after the 8:30 AM n74:

9:40 AM (n73), 10:50 AM (n73), 12:00 PM (n73), 1:10 PM (n73), 2:20 PM (n73), 3:10 PM (n73), 3:50 PM (n73), and as current schedule shows.

Hicksville Depatures after the 9:10 AM n73:

10:10 AM (n73), 11:21 AM (n73), 12:32 PM (N73), 1:43 PM (N73), 2:53 PM (n73), 3:50 PM (n73), 4:30 PM (n74), and as current schedule shows.

N74 service would start 80 minutes later from both terminals, meanwhile n73 headways would change depending on the time and direction. However, midday service would only need one bus on the n73 running every 70 minutes.

On Saturdays, the n73 would just run an 70 minute headway

From Wantagh: 8:10 AM, 9:20 AM, 10:30 AM, 11:40 AM, 12:50 PM, 2:00 PM, 3:10 PM, 4:20 PM, 5:30 PM, 6:40 PM (Span extended by 30 minutes, off-set by headway increase)

From Hicksville: 8:47 AM, 9:57 AM, 11:07 AM, 12:17 PM, 1:27 PM, 2:37 PM, 3:47 PM, 4:57 PM, 6:07 PM, 7:17 PM  (Span extended by 30 minutes, off-set by headway increase)

n80/n81:

Basically, the headway change is to make both routes run 80 minute headways on Saturdays.

Departures:

N80: From Hicksville: 8:23 AM, 9:43 AM, 11:03 AM, 12:23 PM, 1:43 PM, 3:03 PM, 4:23 PM, 5:43 PM, 7:03 PM, 8:23 PM
        From Sunrise:   7:40 AM, 9:00 AM, 10:20 AM, 11:40 PM, 1:00 PM, 2:20 PM, 3:40 PM, 5:00 PM, 6:20 PM, 

N81: From Hicksville: 9:03 AM, 10:23 AM, 11:43 AM, 1:03 PM, 2:23 PM, 3:43 PM, 5:03 PM, 6:23 PM
         From Sunrise:  8:20 AM, 9:40 AM, 11:00 AM, 12:20 PM, 1:40 PM, 3:00 PM, 4:20 PM, 5:40 PM, 7:00 PM

• 2 weeks later...

n1: Operate full rush hour service during weekdays.

n4X: Should operate full rush hour service.

n20:

All n20 Roslyn-Mineola Av should terminate/originate at Clock Tower because Mineola Av does not make sense for turn points on short trips.

Improve Sunday Service to/from Hicksville.

1. From Hicksville to Flushing, last bus should be 7:30pm, 8:30pm, 9:15pm.

2. From Flushing to Hicksville, 8:55 Roslyn trip should be converted to Hicksville.

n22X: Should operate full rush hour service.

n24 should also have LTD service and similar to n22X style.

n33: Should operate 24-hour since it serves major hospitlals on both side until Sandy recoverly are completed.

n48/49: Add 1 more evening trip to/from Jericho Quad. I remember after shopping, there was one lady with walking issue have to hiked up there because she missed the last bus to Jericho.

During NY Islanders game or concert at Nassau Colliseum, either n70 or n71 weekend service should be extended in order to relief crowds and longer wait for bus.

Given the recent changes and the clear example of NICE operating out of their ass, they need to seriously consider taking part in this forum or at least looking at this page: http://brettnyc.com/nice-proposals/

Someone should at least print them out & take them to the next meeting. The n73,74,80, & 81 are seriously overserved, I'd rather see longer headways like what was mentioned, and as a compromise maybe a later trip or two.

The n14 also has too many trips, it should be limited to 3 runs in the AM & PM each.

I'm basing my true real experinece.

NY Islanders want more n70/71 bus service during the game season or during concert.

1 lady I met at Columbia Driver has mental issue and she was forced to walk because there were no taxis at bus stop and she was forced long walk to Quad.

n1: Operate full rush hour service during weekdays.

n4X: Should operate full rush hour service.

n20:

All n20 Roslyn-Mineola Av should terminate/originate at Clock Tower because Mineola Av does not make sense for turn points on short trips.

Improve Sunday Service to/from Hicksville.

1. From Hicksville to Flushing, last bus should be 7:30pm, 8:30pm, 9:15pm.

2. From Flushing to Hicksville, 8:55 Roslyn trip should be converted to Hicksville.

n22X: Should operate full rush hour service.

n24 should also have LTD service and similar to n22X style.

n33: Should operate 24-hour since it serves major hospitlals on both side until Sandy recoverly are completed.

n48/49: Add 1 more evening trip to/from Jericho Quad. I remember after shopping, there was one lady with walking issue have to hiked up there because she missed the last bus to Jericho.

During NY Islanders game or concert at Nassau Colliseum, either n70 or n71 weekend service should be extended in order to relief crowds and longer wait for bus.

N1/N4X: Both have full rush hour service.

N20: Neutral

The rest are not needed at all, except for the n71 proposal (maybe).

How many people are using Mineola Ave for the n20? If there are people using it but not enough for the current headways, then it may be a better idea to send every other bus there. So it becomes Clock Tower, Mineola Ave, Clock Tower, Mineola Ave, etc.

How many people are using Mineola Ave for the n20? If there are people using it but not enough for the current headways, then it may be a better idea to send every other bus there. So it becomes Clock Tower, Mineola Ave, Clock Tower, Mineola Ave, etc.

Mineola Av doesn't have bus shelter, and Roslyn Clock Tower has bus stop shelter in case of rain.

Sometimes during rush hour, there's always about 10-20 people waiting.

I know the Clock Tower has a bus shelter.

But a bus shelter could be added to Mineola Ave. If they just place a simple one, it's fairly cheap to do so. But I was asking how many people use Mineola Ave, not Clock Tower.

What do you think of my suggestion about running every other bus to Mineola Ave instead?

Mineola Av is middle of nowhere. If n20 Roslyn terminate at Clock Tower, it will serve Roslyn neighborhoods where there are stores, foods, etc.

n20 Clock Tower drop off passengers at Clock Tower, turn around via Old Northern Blvd, Bryant Av, Main St, then resume regular n20 Flushing service.

I'm basing my true real experinece.

NY Islanders want more n70/71 bus service during the game season or during concert.

1 lady I met at Columbia Driver has mental issue and she was forced to walk because there were no taxis at bus stop and she was forced long walk to Quad.

I can understand that. I went to an event at the Coliseum  back when it was LIB and had to rush out before the last bus to Hempstead.

The reason they changed the Roslyn trips to terminate at Mineola Ave was because there really isn't a logical place to turn around at the Clock Tower. Some of the drivers were going all the way up to Roslyn RR Sta. to turn around, but that was too time-consuming & far away. Some used the empty lot that was a former gas station at the east end of Old Northern,but that was eventually fenced in. I myself used to turn down Lumber Rd behind the George Washington Inn & turned around at the deadend,making a y-turn.

The reason they changed the Roslyn trips to terminate at Mineola Ave was because there really isn't a logical place to turn around at the Clock Tower. Some of the drivers were going all the way up to Roslyn RR Sta. to turn around, but that was too time-consuming & far away. Some used the empty lot that was a former gas station at the east end of Old Northern,but that was eventually fenced in. I myself used to turn down Lumber Rd behind the George Washington Inn & turned around at the deadend,making a y-turn.

Does current n20 Roslyn Mineola turn around via Northern Blvd VIaduct, turn right at Willis Av, turn right at Old Northern Blvd to drop off passengers?

So what you're saying is that they don't use much thought when determining where to terminate routes.

It doesn't go on the viaduct. But you're correct, only in the instance the driver has the returning run to Flushing. If not, they'll take Old Northern Blvd, drop off at the eastbound direction stop, and then turn right onto Willis Ave to deadhead to the Long Island Expressway or points south. I don't understand how you don't know this when all you do is ride NICE bus and your home route is the n20.

Which n20 termination are you talking about, Roslyn Clock Tower or Mineola Ave?

Wherever the drivers had no logical point to turn the bus around

Archived