Nassau Inter-County Express Proposals and Ideas

VWM

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About N79/78 riders at hicksville what lines are they transferring to the most for travel west?

LIRR , N49, Or N22? As I heard ridership west of the hicksville LIRR wasn't great on N79.

It's a mix of the LIRR & n22.... In terms of "most", the n49 isn't in the equation....

Yeah, I've made the point several times on here that n79 west of hicksville was rather lacking, and how it made sense for NICE to cut the N79 back, to have the n24 running to hicksville, assisting the n22 w/ the Queens crowd & what not.... With the old N79, folks were xferring to the LIRR or the N22 @ LIRR hicksville because they wanted points west of mineola.... Virtually no one took the old N79 to mineola for the N40/41 because you already had the N49 running to hempstead (which is where a lot of those folks that bombard n40/41's @ mineola are headed)....

That actually isn't true. It does pretty good, given it's a short route. 

He said west of hicksville, not east.....

The n79 doesn't travel west of hicksville anymore for it to be not true ;)

It's a mix of the LIRR & n22.... In terms of "most", the n49 isn't in the equation....

Yeah, I've made the point several times on here that n79 west of hicksville was rather lacking, and how it made sense for NICE to cut the N79 back, to have the n24 running to hicksville, assisting the n22 w/ the Queens crowd & what not.... With the old N79, folks were xferring to the LIRR or the N22 @ LIRR hicksville because they wanted points west of mineola.... Virtually no one took the old N79 to mineola for the N40/41 because you already had the N49 running to hempstead (which is where a lot of those folks that bombard n40/41's @ mineola are headed)....

He said west of hicksville, not east.....

The n79 doesn't travel west of hicksville anymore for it to be not true ;)

The bulk of N79's ridership from the N22 gets off at old country rd or manetto hill? I don't use it often but one time I took it from Walt Whitman no-one started to get on till manetto hill rd why is that. Or was it time of day.

How about extending the N21 to Locust Valley, Bayville, Oysterbay and Syosset, terminating at the Hicksville LIRR?

I don't know how to add the lines to google maps to show it, a zig zag routing may be needed to reach developments.

Glencove - Forest Ave to Locust Valley LIRR - Birch Hill Rd - Horse Hollow Rd/Bayville Rd/Bayville Ave - Ludlam Ave/W Shore Rd (south) - W Main St - Larrabee Ave - Oyster Bay LIRR - Shore Ave/Audrey Ave - RT106 (south) - Northern Blvd (east) - Split Rock Rd (south) - Church St (east) - Berry Hill Rd (south) - Syosset LIRR - Jackson Ave - Convent Rd (east)- S Woods Rd (south)- Jericho Tpke (west)

Then three possible routings:

1) Robbins Ln - LIE Service Rd (east) - S Oyster Bay Rd - Woodbury Rd - Hicksville LIRR

2) Robbins Ln - LIE Service Rd (east) - S Oyster Bay Rd - Woodbury Rd - Bethpage Rd - Broadway Mall - Hicksville LIRR

3) RT 106/107 - Broadway Mall - Hicksville LIRR.

Also, it can bypass Bayville somehow.

You're joking-right?

The bulk of N79's ridership from the N22 gets off at old country rd or manetto hill? I don't use it often but one time I took it from Walt Whitman no-one started to get on till manetto hill rd why is that. Or was it time of day.

OK, back when I rode the n79 (it's been awhile) the bulk of the ridership was at Manetto Hill Rd (near Sunnyside Dr & Fairway) and along Old Country by the hospital.

OK, back when I rode the n79 (it's been awhile) the bulk of the ridership was at Manetto Hill Rd (near Sunnyside Dr & Fairway) and along Old Country by the hospital.

most of the N78 only stops I observed are by business parks so does N78 see any significant use at it's stops not shared with N79 or is it nothing more than a bastard version of N79?

You're joking-right?

I was thinking this but I try to make everything count ohh well. I missed it now I am confused.

• 3 weeks later...

Very few!

Yeah for now, but I believe a major development is in the works for the old county complex there that will involve a shopping center with a new ShopRite and a housing development. If this happens, the n78 will need to run full time instead of just rush hours, or the n79 rerouted to serve the complex as it would foolish to have such a major development and barely have any transit to it. Currently ShopRite is served by the n78/79 in Morton Plaza, but the new location will be one mile away from the nearest n79 stop. 

http://www.countrypointeplainview.com/index.cfm

http://www.beechwoodhomes.com/news/town-holds-hearing-on-country-pointe-at-plainview

Yeah for now, but I believe a major development is in the works for the old county complex there that will involve a shopping center with a new ShopRite and a housing development. If this happens, the n78 will need to run full time instead of just rush hours, or the n79 rerouted to serve the complex as it would foolish to have such a major development and barely have any transit to it. Currently ShopRite is served by the n78/79 in Morton Plaza, but the new location will be one mile away from the nearest n79 stop. 

http://www.countrypointeplainview.com/index.cfm

http://www.beechwoodhomes.com/news/town-holds-hearing-on-country-pointe-at-plainview

or merge with N73. Damn it Nassau. That area was dead.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used actual schedule.

http://www.nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/NiceBus-Schedules/NiceBus-SchedulesApp/NICE-n20-21_MapSchedule.pdf

I fixed to just 19:55 n20 Greenvale should become n20 Hicksville, ending at Hicksville Station at 21:03 with 20:55 and 21:55 n20 Roslyn untouch.

It doesn't make sense why n20 service to/from Hicksville ends earlier than Weekday or Saturday?

I used actual schedule.

http://www.nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/NiceBus-Schedules/NiceBus-SchedulesApp/NICE-n20-21_MapSchedule.pdf

I fixed to just 19:55 n20 Greenvale should become n20 Hicksville, ending at Hicksville Station at 21:03 with 20:55 and 21:55 n20 Roslyn untouch.

It doesn't make sense why n20 service to/from Hicksville ends earlier than Weekday or Saturday?

Well, it is made on a SUNDAY schedule for a reason. (I bet those last few trips to Hicksville are used very lightly on both weekdays and saturdays.

• 1 month later...

It is possible (anything is, really), but why would service for that be necessary when the 48/49 fulfills the need for service between Hempstead and Hicksville already?

I thought that Hicksville would be closer than Bellmore as a place for the n47 to terminate. There's no need for it to loop around East Meadow anymore. Speaking of Loops, I think it's time to renumber the n2/n8 as the n2. It's just one route looping around Floral Park, Elmont, Valley Stream, and Green Acres.

I thought that Hicksville would be closer than Bellmore as a place for the n47 to terminate. There's no need for it to loop around East Meadow anymore. Speaking of Loops, I think it's time to renumber the n2/n8 as the n2. It's just one route looping around Floral Park, Elmont, Valley Stream, and Green Acres.

N47 is just as bastardized N46.

• 3 months later...

So, the east end routes have been shown to run like utter crap. I don't know if they will ever change the way those buses run, but here's what I had in mind:

The n74 should become a peak route to Hempstead, rush hours. 

Service would run every 60 minutes in the AM and PM (depart Wantagh at 6:10 AM, 7:10 AM, and 8:10 AM; 3:49 PM, 4:49 PM, 5:49 PM/ depart Hempstead at 7:10 AM, 3:49 PM, 4:49 PM, 5:49 PM, 6:49 PM)

This would alleviate service on the n70, and give riders another LIRR option.

Run n73 service every 60+, all day on weekdays

The n73 would handle all the portions in Hicksville alone (riders have the n49/50/80 as alternatives, depending on their location)

Buses departing Wantagh: 6:40 AM, 7:40 AM, 8:40 AM, 9:40 AM, 10:00 AM, 11:20 AM, 12:40 PM, 2:00 PM, 3:20 PM, 4:20 PM, 5:20 PM, 6:30 PM, 7:40 PM

Buses from Hicksville to Wantagh

6:25 AM, 7:20 AM, 8:20 AM, 9:20 AM, 10:40 AM, 12:00 PM, 1:20 PM, 2:40 PM, 4:00 PM, 5:00 PM, 6:00 PM, 7:10 PM, 8:20 PM

From Hempstead Turnpike to Wantagh

6:18 AM

This would benefit most the portion south of Hempstead Turnpike on the 73/74. North, service is reduced at all times, but the service span is slightly increased by one bus (late evening headways become 70 instead of 60 minutes). 

N50 Buses in the Peak Direction run via Jerusalem Avenue to Hicksville

In the peak direction to Hicksville (AM from 7:05 AM-8:05 AM), AND from (PM from 4:30-7:30 PM trips). The current 6:50 AM and 7:50 AM trips to Hicksville would be moved to operate 15 minutes later than normal.

N46 via Jerusalem Avenue

I think Jerusalem Avenue needs more peak bus service, and Front Street can handle service as it is without the 46. The areas not serve have the n50, to the 70/71/72/47/48/49. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I don't have enough information about n73 ridership past the turnpike from either side, so I can't really say that much about ridership that goes from north of the tunrpike to the south and vice versa. Otherwise, I would have the n50 run up Jerusalem Avenue all time, and have the n73 run to Hempstead along with the n74 on weekdays. On Saturdays, and after 8 PM (1 trip from Hicksville), it would run it's current route. I would still run the n73 on 80 minute headways during middays. The n49 can handle newbridge on it's own. 

• 1 month later...

So, the east end routes have been shown to run like utter crap. I don't know if they will ever change the way those buses run, but here's what I had in mind:

The n74 should become a peak route to Hempstead, rush hours.

Service would run every 60 minutes in the AM and PM (depart Wantagh at 6:10 AM, 7:10 AM, and 8:10 AM; 3:49 PM, 4:49 PM, 5:49 PM/ depart Hempstead at 7:10 AM, 3:49 PM, 4:49 PM, 5:49 PM, 6:49 PM)

This would alleviate service on the n70, and give riders another LIRR option.

Run n73 service every 60+, all day on weekdays

The n73 would handle all the portions in Hicksville alone (riders have the n49/50/80 as alternatives, depending on their location)

Buses departing Wantagh: 6:40 AM, 7:40 AM, 8:40 AM, 9:40 AM, 10:00 AM, 11:20 AM, 12:40 PM, 2:00 PM, 3:20 PM, 4:20 PM, 5:20 PM, 6:30 PM, 7:40 PM

Buses from Hicksville to Wantagh

6:25 AM, 7:20 AM, 8:20 AM, 9:20 AM, 10:40 AM, 12:00 PM, 1:20 PM, 2:40 PM, 4:00 PM, 5:00 PM, 6:00 PM, 7:10 PM, 8:20 PM

From Hempstead Turnpike to Wantagh

6:18 AM

This would benefit most the portion south of Hempstead Turnpike on the 73/74. North, service is reduced at all times, but the service span is slightly increased by one bus (late evening headways become 70 instead of 60 minutes).

N50 Buses in the Peak Direction run via Jerusalem Avenue to Hicksville

In the peak direction to Hicksville (AM from 7:05 AM-8:05 AM), AND from (PM from 4:30-7:30 PM trips). The current 6:50 AM and 7:50 AM trips to Hicksville would be moved to operate 15 minutes later than normal.

N46 via Jerusalem Avenue

I think Jerusalem Avenue needs more peak bus service, and Front Street can handle service as it is without the 46. The areas not serve have the n50, to the 70/71/72/47/48/49.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I don't have enough information about n73 ridership past the turnpike from either side, so I can't really say that much about ridership that goes from north of the tunrpike to the south and vice versa. Otherwise, I would have the n50 run up Jerusalem Avenue all time, and have the n73 run to Hempstead along with the n74 on weekdays. On Saturdays, and after 8 PM (1 trip from Hicksville), it would run it's current route. I would still run the n73 on 80 minute headways during middays. The n49 can handle newbridge on it's own.

quite creative proposal you got there.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a proposal to make the N20 consistent with its limited counterpart. How about in both directions, it bypasses Great Neck LIRR, Roslyn Clock Tower, does not get on the grounds of NYiT and CW Post

That would be interesting if only the N21 went to Great Neck. However I believe Nice said that most of their customers are going to and from Great Neck.

• 4 weeks later...

That would be interesting if only the N21 went to Great Neck. However I believe Nice said that most of their customers are going to and from Great Neck.

That came out wrong. I meant that the N20 limited should bypass Great Neck Station and Roslyn Clock Tower in both directions. It also doesn't get on the grounds of NYiT and CW Post. The local can remain as is. I thought N21's already short turn at Great Neck?

Archived