Nassau Inter-County Express Proposals and Ideas

VWM

Or Perhaps, n1 buses could be extended to Jamaica, 179 street, during midday hours on weekdays, Saturdays and Sundays, to make it easier to run every hour (its much easier to coordinate, and Sunday Service is not enough to warrant 30 minute headways) and every half hour on Sunday and Saturday, respectively.

On Weekends, buses would run to Jamaica from

9: 45 AM to 5:45 PM to Jamaica, and 10:45 AM to 6:43 PM to Elmont on Weekends

Sunday times would be every hour, running a schedule similar to a Saturday Schedule, but with its current hours of operation.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or Perhaps, n1 buses could be extended to Jamaica, 179 street, during midday hours on weekdays, Saturdays and Sundays, to make it easier to run every hour (its much easier to coordinate, and Sunday Service is not enough to warrant 30 minute headways) and every half hour on Sunday and Saturday, respectively.

On Weekends, buses would run to Jamaica from

9: 45 AM to 5:45 PM to Jamaica, and 10:45 AM to 6:43 PM to Elmont on Weekends

Sunday times would be every hour, running a schedule similar to a Saturday Schedule, but with its current hours of operation.

The problem I have with suggestions like this is that, it's after these hours where the n1 would be helpful, (19:00 to 21:30 especially) the n6 is packed and flags people past 179th and sometimes past 169th st..

It could be a good idea to extend the n1 to Jamaica. Maybe it'll lure some LIRR Far Rockaway Branch commuters to NICE.

I doubt it, the n1 route to Jamaica is long and convoluted, even from Green Acres. The ride would be a good 50 mins from the Gibson Station to 179th st. You have to ride around Green Acres, go to the Valley Stream LIRR, up Central Ave, (west on Stuart),up Elmont Road,  west on Hempstead Tpke.

The extension to Jamaica helps with the Hempstead Turnpike stops (ncluding and) west of Elmont Road, as well as riders going to stops as far as Central Ave/Keyfood. The n1 extension takes bus loads of people off the already strained n6.

I'd say most riders south of Central & Stuart Aves go down to the n4 if they're going to Jamaica.

As if 50 minutes is that long. With LIRR to 179th it's still quite a ride. 14 minutes from. Gibson LIRR to Jamaica LIRR, then 26 minutes with 2 subway lines if you don't want to walk to the (F) but then it's still 35 minutes total. It's only nearly 12 minutes longer by NICE and you have a one-seat ride. Plus you don't have to walk through Jamaica at night, which is what LIRR people don't want according to fellow people on these forums. Not to mention it's way cheaper and if you decide to go further than Jamaica you also get a free transfer unlike LIRR->subway.

N1: Run buses every 60 minutes instead of 45 minutes on Sundays

N2: The current 8:37 AM trip from Green Acres would instead orginate at 8:18 AM at Hempstead Tpke.

N14: Run service every 40-50 minutes instead of 20-25.

N36: Combine Services with N62 SF Industrial Loop ; Run every 30 minutes during the Rush Hour

N46: Discontinue all service

N48/49: Run Service every 30 minutes off peak hours combined.

N50: Run Off Peak Service every 70 minutes instead of 60.

N51: Run service every 50 minutes instead of 60 minutes

N54/55: Buses Run every 15 minutes during between Sunrise Mall and Washington Avenue in Massapequa Park Rush hours. Service would run every 30 minutes midday hours.

N62 SF Loop: Combined with n36

N80/81: The 80/81 would have a unified routing on Stewart Avenue , then individual routing south of Hempstead Tpke as the current routing is; 81 buses rerouted to run onto Hempstead instead of Boundary Avenue (the 73/74 would be a nearby alternative).

n47 should be discontinued as its a pointless loop, not the n46, gets a decent amt of ppl. n51 needs to be reduced not increased. Agree with n80/81 unified routing and increasing n54/55 rush hours, but it needs to be from HTC. Also the n27 needs to be restored to HTC or RF on weekends. To RF it would only need one additional bus to provide hourly service between Glen Cove & RF Sat & Sun. 

n47 should be discontinued as its a pointless loop, not the n46, gets a decent amt of ppl. n51 needs to be reduced not increased. Agree with n80/81 unified routing and increasing n54/55 rush hours, but it needs to be from HTC. Also the n27 needs to be restored to HTC or RF on weekends. To RF it would only need one additional bus to provide hourly service between Glen Cove & RF Sat & Sun. 

Imma stop you with the n47 for a second.

The point of the n46/47 in reality, is to maintain 15 minute service during peak hours along the front street corridor, which is the most vital part of the n48/49. Had the 48/49 not need those headways, both routes would've been long gone before . That's why if I discontinue the n46, those trips would immediately become n47 trips instead. This is also the same reason why I prefer keeping the 47 instead of the 46, as it's more cost effective. 

N51: Alright

N54/55: Yeah, exactly, it starts at HTC, and terminates at Washington Avenue and Jerusalem Avenue

Imma stop you with the n47 for a second.

The point of the n46/47 in reality, is to maintain 15 minute service during peak hours along the front street corridor, which is the most vital part of the n48/49. Had the 48/49 not need those headways, both routes would've been long gone before . That's why if I discontinue the n46, those trips would immediately become n47 trips instead. This is also the same reason why I prefer keeping the 47 instead of the 46, as it's more cost effective. 

N51: Alright

N54/55: Yeah, exactly, it starts at HTC, and terminates at Washington Avenue and Jerusalem Avenue

You're cutting off Bellmore from Hempstead. Last time I was on the n46 we had 20 people on the bus by East Meadow Ave before Front St (heading to HTC). n51 needs to run rush hours only but the last bus needs to be later. Restore n45 middays, n51 runs Mon-Fri 6am-10am & 4pm-8pm. NICE lost riders on that route at night because the last bus used to be much later at 7:34pm from Merrick. 

As if 50 minutes is that long. With LIRR to 179th it's still quite a ride. 14 minutes from. Gibson LIRR to Jamaica LIRR, then 26 minutes with 2 subway lines if you don't want to walk to the (F) but then it's still 35 minutes total. It's only nearly 12 minutes longer by NICE and you have a one-seat ride. Plus you don't have to walk through Jamaica at night, which is what LIRR people don't want according to fellow people on these forums. Not to mention it's way cheaper and if you decide to go further than Jamaica you also get a free transfer unlike LIRR->subway.

As if 50 mins is that long? I can get from Belmont Racetrack stop on the n6 to 57th st and 6th ave on the (F) in just about 50 mins. Come on now.

I was giving 179th st as an example as opposed to the 165th st bus terminal. If someone was taking the LIRR from Gibson and wanted to transfer to the subway they'd transfer to the. (E) (most likely) or (J) at Sutphin Blvd and probably wouldn't be going to 179th st.

People do not want to spend forever on public transportation, especially one bus. Transferring shakes things up a bit at least. One day I was in Lynbrook and I wanted to go to Great Neck, and I was like "I can take the N25 to Great Neck" ugh, one of the longest rides ever.

@N6: Depends on the route. I know people who prefer to take a slightly longer bus route rather than taking the shorter train route and transferring. But I also know people who agree with your argument. When it comes to ideas, you should always vouch for what *people* want, not just what part of the people.

@PinePower: 20 people... but is that normal circumstances? Because one bus ride doesn't say much about all of the rides over the day. Now if you saw this continuously on various times of the day...

@N6: Depends on the route. I know people who prefer to take a slightly longer bus route rather than taking the shorter train route and transferring. But I also know people who agree with your argument. When it comes to ideas, you should always vouch for what *people* want, not just what part of the people.

@PinePower: 20 people... but is that normal circumstances? Because one bus ride doesn't say much about all of the rides over the day. Now if you saw this continuously on various times of the day...

No, the average rider per bus under MTA LI Bus was less than 20. Who knows, might've just been a conicidence.

Tying into what I said below about the n1 running after proposed times. The 7:30pm n1 (last rush hour bus) from Jamaica was late the other day and surprisingly arrived at 168th street at about 8PM. Riders that new they could take it gladly boarded, and the bus continued picking up riders to the borderline. The n1 was definitely SRO leaving Springfield Blvd. (There were already standees, but several people boarded there).

I believe that if any were going east of Elmont Road then they knew their best bet was to get on the n1 and transfer at Elmont Road, lest be flagged.  (the n6 may have been running late also saw a couple of them going toward the bus terminal)

So there was literally a bus load of people (about 50 or so) taken off the n6 because the n1 came along. (And no one was flagged).

The problem I have with suggestions like this is that, it's after these hours where the n1 would be helpful, (19:00 to 21:30 especially) the n6 is packed and flags people past 179th and sometimes past 169th st..

The extension to Jamaica helps with the Hempstead Turnpike stops (ncluding and) west of Elmont Road, as well as riders going to stops as far as Central Ave/Keyfood. The n1 extension takes bus loads of people off the already strained n6.

I'd say most riders south of Central & Stuart Aves go down to the n4 if they're going to Jamaica.

Tying into what I said below about the n1 running after proposed times. The 7:30pm n1 (last rush hour bus) from Jamaica was late the other day and surprisingly arrived at 168th street at about 8PM. Riders that new they could take it gladly boarded, and the bus continued picking up riders to the borderline. The n1 was definitely SRO leaving Springfield Blvd. (There were already standees, but several people boarded there).

I believe that if any were going east of Elmont Road then they knew their best bet was to get on the n1 and transfer at Elmont Road, lest be flagged.  (the n6 may have been running late also saw a couple of them going toward the bus terminal)

So there was literally a bus load of people (about 50 or so) taken off the n6 because the n1 came along. (And no one was flagged).

Is there a reason why the n1 rush hour trips to and from Jamaica end at 7:30?

Is there a reason why the n1 rush hour trips to and from Jamaica end at 7:30?

Not exactly sure of the reason, however, after 7:30pm the n1 runs hourly.

The last rush hour bus to Green Acres is scheduled to arrive at Elmont Road & Hempstead Turnpike at 7:55, followed by 9PM and 10PM buses that originate at Hempstead Turnpike.

I don't remember the rush hour n1's running as late as 7:30pm in the past, I'm not sure if NICE increased the time span or if the MTA did it toward the end of their service.

n20:

Weekday 24-hour service, with 30 minutes headways between Hicksville and Flushing.

Weekend service should be until Jericho Whole Food closed, with last bus leaving Hicksville around 10:00pm.

n27:

Weekend service need to restored to/from Roosevelt Field Mall. Roslyn Station IS BAD TRANSFER POINT.

n46: Should have more weekday service between Hempstead and Bellmore because it's huge gap between noon and around 2pm ish.

n48/49:

Weekend service that terminal/originate at Broadway Mall should be extended to North Broadway/Columbia Drive until Whole Food Jericho closed about 9:45pm.

n20:

Weekday 24-hour service, with 30 minutes headways between Hicksville and Flushing.

Weekend service should be until Jericho Whole Food closed, with last bus leaving Hicksville around 10:00pm.

n27:

Weekend service need to restored to/from Roosevelt Field Mall. Roslyn Station IS BAD TRANSFER POINT.

n46: Should have more weekday service between Hempstead and Bellmore because it's huge gap between noon and around 2pm ish.

n48/49:

Weekend service that terminal/originate at Broadway Mall should be extended to North Broadway/Columbia Drive until Whole Food Jericho closed about 9:45pm.

If only we could have buses at our disposal to do the such, but it's public transit meant to accommodate everyone.

I'm sure you can still access Whole Foods in some form, or perhaps find a more convenient location in NYC.

If only we could have buses at our disposal to do the such, but it's public transit meant to accommodate everyone.

I'm sure you can still access Whole Foods in some form, or perhaps find a more convenient location in NYC.

I meant for some people who lives near Whole Food by Jericho. There's one lady who was waiting on middle of raised maiden to see which n20 Flushing or n48/49 Hempstead/n20 Hicksville comes first during Saturday and she told me it was very hard for her to shop at Jericho Whole Foods on weekends.

That's why. n48/49 could turn around at parking lot.

I meant for some people who lives near Whole Food by Jericho. There's one lady who was waiting on middle of raised maiden to see which n20 Flushing or n48/49 Hempstead/n20 Hicksville comes first during Saturday and she told me it was very hard for her to shop at Jericho Whole Foods on weekends.

That's why. n48/49 could turn around at parking lot.

Oh, I see.

Perhaps it could work. I'd contact both NICE and Whole Foods to see if both would be okay with buses terminating in that parking lot. Perhaps too much liability, but worth a try.

If one person complains, then we should totally do it of course!!!

I agree with Brett. Especially on the n20 24-hour service idea. Seriously? NICE can use their money way better than operating a bus 24 hours for a few people who want that. Let's improve service during the day first.

Archived