Where do you think switches are needed?

Novabus 5000

Where do you guys think that a switch is needed? As of right now, I think an X - switch is needed in the tunnel between W4 ST and B-way Laf. st on the 6 ave line.

A single left-handed turnout from 1 to 3 track is sufficient to allow trains on 8Av to access the bridge.

Maybe there should be switches between the (G) and the (A)(C) at Hoyt-Schermerhorn...

:lol:! Let the (G) to Manhattan foaming begin!

I thought of that.

How would that be useful?

Terminating Express trains at 14th Street. Wrong railing in certain occasions. More.

A switch from Nassau Street to the Manhattan Bridge tracks are needed. Not only to Brooklyn, but connections to the future second Avenue Subway and te SAS to connect to the (B)(D) so incase of foamish scenario here, then well let's send the (R) via Nassau or (F) there

Another:

34 street switches from Broadway to 6 Avenue Local track and vice versa in both directions

- At Newkirk Av (B)(Q), so that trains don't have to run express all the way from Prospect Park to Kings Highway because of construction in one place.

- Between the local and express, and both sets of express sets tracks at West 4 St. Granted, the latter probably isn't feasible and I'm not so sure about the former either.

- From the Manhattan-bound local track to the express track at Kings Highway (F), although there's the question of why that switch was removed in the first place.

A switch from Nassau Street to the Manhattan Bridge tracks are needed. Not only to Brooklyn, but connections to the future second Avenue Subway and te SAS to connect to the (B)(D) so incase of foamish scenario here, then well let's send the (R) via Nassau or (F) there

Another:

34 street switches from Broadway to 6 Avenue Local track and vice versa in both directions

The 34th Street one is impossible because of the PATH, but the connection to the Manhattan Bridge can be done, but only outbound....

- At Newkirk Av (B)(Q), so that trains don't have to run express all the way from Prospect Park to Kings Highway because of construction in one place.

- Between the local and express, and both sets of express sets tracks at West 4 St. Granted, the latter probably isn't feasible and I'm not so sure about the former either.

- From the Manhattan-bound local track to the express track at Kings Highway (F), although there's the question of why that switch was removed in the first place.

There is a switch between the local and express on 6th, just not on 8th. It's impossible to connect the express tracks.

Maybe there should be switches between the (G) and the (A)(C) at Hoyt-Schermerhorn...

:lol:! Let the (G) to Manhattan foaming begin!

Because of the difference in track levels, that's also impossible. :P

Crosstown will never go to Manhattan, the IND made sure that would never happen...

The 34th Street one is impossible because of the PATH, but the connection to the Manhattan Bridge can be done, but only outbound....

There is a switch between the local and express on 6th, just not on 8th. It's impossible to connect the express tracks.

Because of the difference in track levels, that's also impossible. :P

Crosstown will never go to Manhattan, the IND made sure that would never happen...

Yeah but this is MTA we are talking about. They could look further into this and it would be better instead of terminating trains in a transit museum, I never said anything about foamish scenarios.

Yeah but this is MTA we are talking about. They could look further into this and it would be better instead of terminating trains in a transit museum, I never said anything about foamish scenarios.

Some things are just impossible because of the way things were constructed. There can't be a connection at 34th Street, the PATH will block you...

Well the Manny B is fine northbound, trains can go from the Manny B to 8Av (crossover at Bway Laf and take a yellow at X55 to go upstairs). Its vice versa that's missing.

That's why there should be an X switch before Bway. There should also be a crossover before Grand so trains can terminate there if the Bridge is closed...

I'm not talking about the 34 street one, Im talking about the Hoyt Schremerhorn One

`

That's impossible. The (G) goes downhill directly after the station...

Switch on both directions connecting 50th St. 8th Av. upstairs ( (C) ) to 42nd St. express. Working the (E) every weekend now, I see that the way the switches to the (E) are aligned (including on the southbound side, where the 42 lower level track used to continue from the interlocking), they can be converted into diamond crossovers, allowing express trains to stop at 50th upper level.

Before, I used to advocate a flying crossover, but that would require a lot of construction (removal of columns, and even filling in part of the space where the ceiling of the lower level opens up), and still light be too close to 50th St platform to fit.

I don't know why they didn't think of this when they redid the area to remove the 42nd lower track. No construction would be necessary, execpt perhaps filling in the trough in the track through the area, where the switch points would cross.

The (C) and midnight (A) could then become express, and would also help in some G.O.s they had, where everything was on the express, and you had to take the (E) to the (D) to get uptown from there.

The spur at 8th Ave. on the (L) should be connected to both of the tracks, so trains could drop out at 6th, and this would help ease the congestion coming into 8th. (The trains are often stuck at 6th when both pockets are full, so they could be cleaned out at this time, relay, and then go back in service at 6th and not even need to wait to get into 8th.

North of 57/7, connecting the local tracks to 63rd St. This would be easy to do northbound, as the unused local trackway essentially merges with the tracks, but southbound would be much harder, as columns would have to be moved, and the tunnel reinforced. I've heard there is a plan to do this.

You also might be able to squeeze a switch into R1/2 tracks between Chambers and Fulton, so that southbound trains could access Fulton northbound, and turn there instead of relaying which would bring weekend riders to the new Fulton St. complex, where more and more want to go. But because f this, it might end up being better to just restore weekend service to Broad. (A lot of people are heading to the ferry and other attractions in the area, also).

Bway Laf I would agree, but i don't think there's any place for it. south of the station (where there used to be a switch when the express tracks went straight to 2nd Av.) the grade now separates, and north of the station there is some sort of used space between the tracks.

When Bay Pkwy was a terminal, I had said north of there, so you would no longer need the relay. That's of course moot now.

How about switches connecting the Nassau St line/Chrystie St cut with the 6 Av express tracks?

Maybe, I don't think it can be done southbound, but probably northbound. If that switch is installed before Broadway, then trains can just switch after the station.

Archived