Highly used transfers

JubaionBx12+SBS

I thought it would be interesting to discuss the most highly used transfers in the subway system. Seeing what goes on at 59 Street, 51 Street and Grand Central on the Lexington Av line made me think of this. Lots of riders use those stations as transfer points thus adding to the passenger volume of the station yet are not counted as part of that's stations ridership. I always thought if total passenger volume was taken into account those could all be ranked even higher overall than they are in actual ridership.

So based on your subway riding observations which stations have the most highly used transfers in the system?

How about Broadway Junction? Connection between Carnarsie (L) line, Jamaica (J)(M)(Z) and IND Fulton (A)(C).

And 161-Yankee Stadium/161-Yankee Staduim (4) and (B)(D). Not even talking about when there's game nights.

The (M) doesn't stop at Broadway Junction.

Nevertheless, Broadway Junction is a heavily used transfer I know this is not the most heavily used transfer point, but I see a lot of transferring at Rockaway Blvd between the Lefferts (A) and the Rockaway (A). I also find lots of transferring at Jackson Heights-74th Street. Times Square would take the transfer cake.

Fulton is a big transfer center to go to Brooklyn.

The Fulton line has almost no transfers. No-one transfers to the (G). Some may transfer to the (F).

A lot of people transfer to the (F). Even if they don't need the (F), they'll transfer to the (F). What I'm curious to see is if riders are smart enough to realize that there's an easy Out-Of-Station transfer between the (C) at Lafayette and Atlantic Ave (2)(3)(4)(5)(B)(D)(N)(Q)(R). I swear the distance between stations is much shorter than, say, the "official" OOS Transfer between 59th st and 63rd/Lex. But I guess it's limited to those with unlimiteds.

A lot of people transfer to the (F). Even if they don't need the (F), they'll transfer to the (F).

Why is that?

What I'm curious to see is if riders are smart enough to realize that there's an easy Out-Of-Station transfer between the (C) at Lafayette and Atlantic Ave (2)(3)(4)(5)(B)(D)(N)(Q)(R). I swear the distance between stations is much shorter than, say, the "official" OOS Transfer between 59th st and 63rd/Lex. But I guess it's limited to those with unlimiteds.

I guess it's considered a less-crucial transfer...If there was no transfer to the (4)(5)(6) from the (F) at 63 St/Lexington, the (E) train on 53 St would be even more packed than it already is, I'm guessing.

Jackson Heights, because even during the middle of the night everybody piles out of the (7).

Union Square, because iv'e seen literally empty (L) trains at 6th and 8th.

Those are just two iv'e seen..

Yeah, just what is the deal with the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave-74 St-Broadway-Laguardia Airport transfer? The northbound 7 stop there has got to be the WORST station to work in the entire A-Div. Even at 1AM that platform is flooded with people. Where are they all coming from??

Fulton is a big transfer center to go to Brooklyn.

The Fulton line has almost no transfers. No-one transfers to the (G). Some may transfer to the (F).

I meant to say Fulton station in Manhattan. I was just curious because I didn't hear many people talk about Fulton Center, even though it's supposed to be a major center of transfers.

Yeah, just what is the deal with the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave-74 St-Broadway-Laguardia Airport transfer? The northbound 7 stop there has got to be the WORST station to work in the entire A-Div. Even at 1AM that platform is flooded with people. Where are they all coming from??

This is not surprising at all. That station has the second highest ridership in Queens and 14th in NYC (to the Flushing-Main Street (7)), before you get to transfers. Because of this the platform is likely flooded with people 24-7-365. By the way, I've never been able to go by that station without seeing a flood of people.

Oh dear god no. There's nothing worse than getting a <7> and then having to accept the local lineup leaving Queensboro.....because that means that you're gonna have to hold at 74 to get the express line up, which also means that if you don't open the doors there, customers are going to start trying to climb on between the cars. If the <7> were to stop there regularly, it would totally ruin the service pattern during rush hour, in much the same way that the D crossing over to make a stop at 161 before Yankee games (and then crossing back to the middle track afterwards) slows down the whole railroad.

A simple result of poorly coordinated subway construction...When the Flushing Line was built, there was no IND to be found...

Right. The only way to remedy that would be to build a new upper level station at 74th-Roosevelt on the (7) that would be similar to a few express stations from the old 3rd Avenue El.

Archived