Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

My first letter was in january and i went in on jan 20th.  so i guess 90 days from then would be in about 2 weeks.  This letter says to come in next week, and i called on friday when i first received the letter and she told me that i have to come in because if they do decide to put another class my first drug test wouldnt have been valid hence why theyre making me do it again.

Oh okay , I will probably be in the same boat

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first letter was in january and i went in on jan 20th. so i guess 90 days from then would be in about 2 weeks. This letter says to come in next week, and i called on friday when i first received the letter and she told me that i have to come in because if they do decide to put another class my first drug test wouldnt have been valid hence why theyre making me do it again.

What kinda questions are on the drug test?

My first letter was in january and i went in on jan 20th.  so i guess 90 days from then would be in about 2 weeks.  This letter says to come in next week, and i called on friday when i first received the letter and she told me that i have to come in because if they do decide to put another class my first drug test wouldnt have been valid hence why theyre making me do it again.

When you called, did you ask when the next class would be ? I have been trying to get In contact with them but they rarely answer the phone

My list # is 314 and I just got my first letter to show up Apr 9th. I'm hoping drug test and medical happen on the same day. They are moving through the list quickly, since it seems they started taking people from the list in December 2014. I expect most people didn't get past the drug test, and the rest chose to keep their current situation. In any case, they are calling me sooner than I expected, but right on time nonetheless.

"Outstanding Certification": is to be under review for the eligibility of actually being hired.
"Not on an Outstanding Certification": is to actually be in a state of being "eligible" for hire when your list number is reached.

Hi all, i went for the pee test in jan. but didnt take the medical yet. Was sent home with the paper work to fill out until i get called for the medical. List number is 18*

So they didnt give you a full medical, or just a urine test? I though they give a full medical being that the letter said it could be an all day process.

So they didnt give you a full medical, or just a urine test? I though they give a full medical being that the letter said it could be an all day process.

Just urine test. I went today again and all they did was the urine test. Had the 21 page book filled out and everything but they where not taking me today for the medical. There was about 20 people on the line for medical/final processing today and only about 70 people there where in jan it seem to be about 200+ people there. I asked about 6 people when the next class might be and 4 said they dont know but 2 said the same thing, which was they are hoping to start another class in about a month. Hope i get called for medical soon,

Also it always seem that you have to be there at 730am but i would get there at 7. Today they started doing things at 715 today and people were still coming in and didnt know what was what.

atleast one person did (saw 16*). Almost feels like they are jumping around the list alittle cause i think i saw one persons paper ( i try to see what number people are so i know where i stand ) with a list number of 4*4 (not sure as i dont want people to think i looking at their SS number).

The funny think about that person was he didnt grab the 21pg booklet which means that person must have been there before.

It is true. Big waves retiring in 2016, 2018, 2020. Which means they have to start training guys now so that they can be up to speed by the time the retirement waves begin.

If you dont mind Filterdnoiz, when you get a chance can you just explain what your process was? becasue of this second letter roll out Iam sure alot of old questions are going to resurface. for example....

-from your letter( about interview/medical) after drug test/ pre interview, what was the next step and how long did it take?

-during interview/medical what kind of tests were you giving and did you get a verbal interview?

-from your interview/medical letter to the actual hire date, how long did that take?

- how long was traning?

-what kind of job schedules( am, pm) was available when you picked a job?

-what kind of days off was avaible, during your pick?

- Do they offer vacaton time( if so what was available), or you have to pass probation before you get vacation?

hope I covered everything, thanks for your input and good luck out there..

Just urine test. I went today again and all they did was the urine test. Had the 21 page book filled out and everything but they where not taking me today for the medical. There was about 20 people on the line for medical/final processing today and only about 70 people there where in jan it seem to be about 200+ people there. I asked about 6 people when the next class might be and 4 said they dont know but 2 said the same thing, which was they are hoping to start another class in about a month. Hope i get called for medical soon,

Also it always seem that you have to be there at 730am but i would get there at 7. Today they started doing things at 715 today and people were still coming in and didnt know what was what.

I dont know what that is about the letter i received says "pre interview and medical examination" which will inculded a hearing test, did your letter say the same or it just stated a urine test? Also how long were you in there  for.

thanks for your input...

the letter does say you can be there all day and it does say a hearing test, but from what i see that seems to never happen. It looks like they do the pee (drug test) first then call you another day if it is clean for the medical. I got there today at 650am (left my place in the BX at 540am) and was home by 1030am

when i went in jan. i got out about a hour later (alot more people that day) then i did today

Sure bkdirect. First off I want to let you guys know to stop worrying about everyone else and concentrate your efforts on your hiring process. Forget about everyone you see there and thinking they are your competition! Every MTA employee from every dept goes through those very same door during the hiring process. They may have different requirements for hiring and might have a slightly different process than you. Ex. Third rail ops, signals, structure, RTO, engineers, conductors, electricians, contractors or bus operators.... Any one plus any other I may have missed!

Now the first letter. By now most of you have received it. It requires a urine test as most of you know. They give you that big 21 page booklet to fill out. Be very thorough filling that out. Which means leave nothing blank. Everything is stated in black and white and is very straight forward. YES they want to know everything! From every last traffic violation to any arrests and/or convictions. So if you fall in any of these categories dig up all of your paperwork stating you have been cleared of violations and/or charges. YES they will be asking for proof! Yes be thorough, any discrepancies will get you canned and/or eliminated from the hiring process! If you have any outstanding or pending violations of any sort imaginable, pay them! Outstanding = bye, bye, your hiring process ends there! And if you can't pass the urine test, never mind the latter part of this you are done! Have the 21 page booklet filled out by the time you get the second letter. You will have to bring it back completed!

Second letter. Approximately 2 weeks or less after your first visit. Requirements are a medical evaluation a couple of tests (medical) and some sort of computer inquisition about your medical history. Oh and another urine test! If you make it pass all this, you get one last interview that is more like the final stage of getting hired.

Medical tests are as follows and not in any particular order: EKG, vision, hearing, breathing,blood pressure and urine

Medical evaluation: physician gives you a check up

If you pass these you move on to the last stage. If not hopefully you got a medical hold and you can clear it up. NO you can't get a medical hold for a failed urine test.

Last stage is the hiring process. If you make it congrats and welcome to 6 weeks of training and a year of probation.

I am not going to answer any more questions on this as I have given you more than enough info and as thorough information as I can. Frankly I feel some of you have asked some questions that baffle me. This stuff is pretty straight forward and simple, if you can't comprehend this stuff you probably shouldn't be doing this as a career because it is very dangerous out there and it requires constant use of logic and common sense! Not trying to sound like a douche but I've come across plenty of guys new AND senior that are an accident waiting to happen. And there are no small accidents down on track! To those who make it welcome and keep your eyes open and be aware at all times.

As far as choices during training, don't even worry about it because you might not even get a choice. It all depends on your class seniority. If you have it it's a plus but generally no big deal. You may want to read over my old posts for a bit of insight on picks and stuff.

Hope I've been of some help and once again sorry if I come off wrong but you guys gotta read some of these old posts!

Oh it may just be a rumor but I heard the next class size could be about 45. It would begin when they get all of the qualified applicants to close out the next class. So if you get a med hold clear it up ASAP or you might miss the class. Just ask pilotboy! It's first qualify first get hired! And it would eventually reflect your seniority list since there are roughly 2000 track workers. Good luck by the way pilotboy hope to see you on the tracks!

Oh it may just be a rumor but I heard the next class size could be about 45. It would begin when they get all of the qualified applicants to close out the next class. So if you get a med hold clear it up ASAP or you might miss the class. Just ask pilotboy! It's first qualify first get hired! And it would eventually reflect your seniority list since there are roughly 2000 track workers. Good luck by the way pilotboy hope to see you on the tracks!

Thanks man I'm hanging in there , I feel like I'm getting left behind in the dust tho , lol

Sure bkdirect. First off I want to let you guys know to stop worrying about everyone else and concentrate your efforts on your hiring process. Forget about everyone you see there and thinking they are your competition! Every MTA employee from every dept goes through those very same door during the hiring process. They may have different requirements for hiring and might have a slightly different process than you. Ex. Third rail ops, signals, structure, RTO, engineers, conductors, electricians, contractors or bus operators.... Any one plus any other I may have missed!

Now the first letter. By now most of you have received it. It requires a urine test as most of you know. They give you that big 21 page booklet to fill out. Be very thorough filling that out. Which means leave nothing blank. Everything is stated in black and white and is very straight forward. YES they want to know everything! From every last traffic violation to any arrests and/or convictions. So if you fall in any of these categories dig up all of your paperwork stating you have been cleared of violations and/or charges. YES they will be asking for proof! Yes be thorough, any discrepancies will get you canned and/or eliminated from the hiring process! If you have any outstanding or pending violations of any sort imaginable, pay them! Outstanding = bye, bye, your hiring process ends there! And if you can't pass the urine test, never mind the latter part of this you are done! Have the 21 page booklet filled out by the time you get the second letter. You will have to bring it back completed!

Second letter. Approximately 2 weeks or less after your first visit. Requirements are a medical evaluation a couple of tests (medical) and some sort of computer inquisition about your medical history. Oh and another urine test! If you make it pass all this, you get one last interview that is more like the final stage of getting hired.

Medical tests are as follows and not in any particular order: EKG, vision, hearing, breathing,blood pressure and urine

Medical evaluation: physician gives you a check up

If you pass these you move on to the last stage. If not hopefully you got a medical hold and you can clear it up. NO you can't get a medical hold for a failed urine test.

Last stage is the hiring process. If you make it congrats and welcome to 6 weeks of training and a year of probation.

I am not going to answer any more questions on this as I have given you more than enough info and as thorough information as I can. Frankly I feel some of you have asked some questions that baffle me. This stuff is pretty straight forward and simple, if you can't comprehend this stuff you probably shouldn't be doing this as a career because it is very dangerous out there and it requires constant use of logic and common sense! Not trying to sound like a douche but I've come across plenty of guys new AND senior that are an accident waiting to happen. And there are no small accidents down on track! To those who make it welcome and keep your eyes open and be aware at all times.

As far as choices during training, don't even worry about it because you might not even get a choice. It all depends on your class seniority. If you have it it's a plus but generally no big deal. You may want to read over my old posts for a bit of insight on picks and stuff.

Hope I've been of some help and once again sorry if I come off wrong but you guys gotta read some of these old posts!

Thanks filterdnoiz, i appreciate your feed back your the only one from this first class that continued to come back to this forum and keep everyone upto date on whats going on. On behalf of everyone here i tip my hat to you bro! I have read this whole thread from the beginning and some have asked some weird questions lol. But for the most part i think most is a little eager and nervous and dont want to blow their shot. I mean MTA has a reputation to just say "its not your time, we will call you when we feel like it", with no explanation. Look at the guys that got extra points with out even asking for them, that sucks. Once again thanks and be safe out there!

just keep on top of them as computer errors happen (happen to me once). Keep checking this and any other websites and see what list number they are up to. On the firefighter list somehow my list number got put on decline. I didnt find out for a year and the way i found out was talking to other people and finding out what list number they were.I said i never sign a decline letter and they looked it up and the person with the number before my number sign the paper and the clerk (or whoever) type my number instead. So i always now try to see other peoples list number so if i see numbers alot higher then mine i know something is wrong.

Edited by hopeful one

Went in for first time today list #32x , from 7:30am didnt get out of there until 1pm. I wasnt able to get much info. on who is who. there was a decent amount of potential trackworkers there ( if I had to guess I would say about 50-80), half for the first time and half for the second. I also seen alot bus operaters, so it was hard to tell. the new waiting time is 3-90 days. " and we will contact you" ( thats what I was told).

Here is some info. I was able to get, The next class is May/18/2015 and they sworn in up to list #157 ( that does not mean 157 people were hired but allegedly thats the highest number sworn in, thats what I heard from a HR person).

once again good luck to everyone, and if you make the next class update all those who are waiting, believe it or not it helps. not everyone has a current entertaining job like my self that enjoys the type of entertainment I go through everyday a work  :wacko:, to keep them occupied unil MTA calls lol, so share your MTA experience if possible

once again Good Luck to everyone!

I want to say so much, but I'm a special case and I'm afraid what I say may hinder my acceptance. I'm a former transit worker. I resigned from transit pending disciplinary action.I did this after I signed up for test #3600, but before taking test #3600. I can remember discussing my aspirations of becoming a track worker with my TWU union lawyer and him handing me a resignation letter to sign and hand-in. In other words, I quit before they fired me, with the intention of coming back to the company as a Track worker.

So to begin, my list number is 31*. Got my 1st letter for Apr 9 at 7:30. Being a former Transit worker, I rembered that the pass numbers in my original training class were in an sequential order based on who got their epic pass first. The first person through the hiring process got their epic pass first. In my class, it turned out to be the order in which we walked in the building the 1st day of the hiring process. How did transit know what order we walked in the building?

When you initially get to the 5th fl at 180 Livingston, you will be ID'ed and given a number. That number determines the order in which you will be processed. I knew this and arrived at 07:00am instead of 07:30 in order to get the best position possible. I was like the second or third person there. At some point, they ask people to form a couple of lines. The one I was suppposed to be on was kinda long, so I waited for the line to diminish to about three or four people, then I got on it. (some people might recognize me already lol) I knew that no matter who's on that line, I'm gonna be dealt with first since I got my ticket first.

Once they handed me the 21 page booklet, about ten mins passed before they started calling people by name from that long ass line. They call me third, which is how I know which order I came in the building. A manager approaches me a stand up desk and asks for all the required IDs (birth certs,visas,etc) Then he asks if I have any outstanding tickets besides parking tickets. My answer is yes, as my license is currently suspended from not paying a 'no inspection sticker' ticket back in 2005. The man pull out some paper and a highlighter, marked some things on it and handed it to me. Told me to call the number at the top once my issue was resolved and that he could not now guarantee that I would make the next class. He asked me to bring back physical proof that my issue was resolved.

At this point, I've virtually paid all my tickets, but can't get physical proof until tues Apr 14th. At that point I'll call that number they gave me. They will probably schedule me to come in the very next day and I'll go through the process again, but I'll have lost the seniority position in my class that I would have had. That's if all works well from here. Like I said, I'm a former Transit employee who quit in lieu of being fired for a major infraction as far as Transit is concerned. I still have to jump that hurdle. To be continued...

Ok went today for medical and final processing. The next class is May 18,2015 and they have about half the people they need/want so far. Make sure that 21pg book is filled out 100% dont leave any blanks. They want no gap (in time) in your job history since you left high school. Make sure there is no pending court or traffic things on you (try to wrap them up if u can).