Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last week 1 day we went into the tunnels and stood at the side waiting for trains to pass and another day we stood up on the elevated tracks ( i say half the people didnt like that and 2 guys walk off (they went back onto the platform )). This is the last week at PS248 (thats where the first 3 weeks of training are). We go and get respirators this week and we do our mini pick also (choose where you want to work and hope you get it). 7 day jobs open and the rest are overnights. Then for the next 3 weeks we split with half in the bronx and half in brooklyn for on hands training. then after that 9 days of flagging.

The two guys that walked off when you were on the structure, did they quit?

No they just wont do days/cap. On friday we used 4 power tools. A rail drill,a drill used to make holes in the wood for the lags/screw, a nut driver/runner and the rail saw. The hard one (or the one most people found the hardest) was the rail saw. Each blade is used about 2 times then replaced. Today we used a chainsaw to cut the wood ties. The bronx people have to be divide again (25 people in bx). So about 10 will goto dyckman ave to finish training.The thing they will tell you the most is be on time. Shoot to get there 30 - 45 mins early.

No they just wont do days/cap. On friday we used 4 power tools. A rail drill,a drill used to make holes in the wood for the lags/screw, a nut driver/runner and the rail saw. The hard one (or the one most people found the hardest) was the rail saw. Each blade is used about 2 times then replaced. Today we used a chainsaw to cut the wood ties. The bronx people have to be divide again (25 people in bx). So about 10 will goto dyckman ave to finish training.The thing they will tell you the most is be on time. Shoot to get there 30 - 45 mins early.

Good heads up info hopefulone! You have been the most informative out of those that were called so far, well appreciated.. thanks

today the bronx people where divide again, to go to work locations to help with some labor.The sun was no joke. you bake with that helmet on. Best thing to do is get light cloths. Gym shirts seem like a good idea and dickies pants or cargo pants. Over the last week a lot of the people we talk to have many years on the job and many are getting ready to retire. Also if you are not very good with using a ruler you should brush up now. If you have duffle bags good as no bags with straps are allowed on the track (a worker got kill a few years ago when the train caught the strap).

Truly am getting fed up taking these test. The first test I took my list number was 1020 ok no problem. A family member also took that test was hired years later.Then the results were thrown out for my test.Another test was given My family member informed about a year ago some of the new workers got passed with 70's some 77. I'm like wow what the hell, Had they not voided my test I should of been called when my Brother got called my score was 84 It wasn't many people that actually took the test then..OK so I take this test totally different from the test I took before plus a whole lot more took the test this time and with the bonuses some people got I'm like it's no possible way I'm getting this job.But good luck everyone else wait it out and eventually you will be called. My brother is 10 years on the job believe me it's well worth the wait, Benefits are amazing and it's always the opportunity for advancement throughout your employment.

Truly am getting fed up taking these test. The first test I took my list number was 1020 ok no problem. A family member also took that test was hired years later.Then the results were thrown out for my test.Another test was given My family member informed about a year ago some of the new workers got passed with 70's some 77. I'm like wow what the hell, Had they not voided my test I should of been called when my Brother got called my score was 84 It wasn't many people that actually took the test then..OK so I take this test totally different from the test I took before plus a whole lot more took the test this time and with the bonuses some people got I'm like it's no possible way I'm getting this job.But good luck everyone else wait it out and eventually you will be called. My brother is 10 years on the job believe me it's well worth the wait, Benefits are amazing and it's always the opportunity for advancement throughout your employment.

What is your list # now

Why was your test voided? Do you mean the 4 years for that list was up?

It was after after 4 tears so no good after that. And my list number now is like WOW.I scored 85 it's so many 100, Like I said no way of getting it.But those of you that have started and scored higher much success. The job is Wonderful my brother loves it the money and benefits amazing. Most of all Please BE SAFE out there. I make it priority to call my brother every night it's a dangerous job.There is a reason you will be making as much as you do.

People that are waiting should workout..Try carrying weights (50+ pounds) around and holding it for a few mins. as rail road ties are no joke when you got to move them around (carry them). I seen a lot of people breathing heavy as they are not use to doing any type of exercise. Our class will be finished on june 26 then a week after that we will be divided into 4 groups ( one group starting each week ) to go to flagging. It seems for just about all that first day of flagging will be somewhere in brooklyn then 7 days in queens then last day back in brooklyn for a total of 9 days of flagging.

People that are waiting should workout..Try carrying weights (50+ pounds) around and holding it for a few mins. as rail road ties are no joke when you got to move them around (carry them). I seen a lot of people breathing heavy as they are not use to doing any type of exercise. Our class will be finished on june 26 then a week after that we will be divided into 4 groups ( one group starting each week ) to go to flagging. It seems for just about all that first day of flagging will be somewhere in brooklyn then 7 days in queens then last day back in brooklyn for a total of 9 days of flagging.

How are things going with the training...

Things are going fine. Sucks when you are in the sun but all is good. Most people got to use power tools a few times already (some seem to not want to use any tool). Like i said earlier, people waiting to get on the job should start workingout. Walk up and down stairs carrying things in your hand. Carrying ties you will get a good workout, more so on uneven grounds.

Ive got hired for another position with TA but this list is moving extremely slow although my score was 100%. Im glad to be in the system,and im looking forward to that conductor exam as well.

Im on the same boat as you list #3xx for track ( went down for piss test in april, didnt make the 5/18 class though). Ended up taking the SMB position they called me for

Im on the same boat as you list #3xx for track ( went down for piss test in april, didnt make the 5/18 class though). Ended up taking the SMB position they called me for

Just we are all on the same page, what does "SMB" stand for?

Any word on when the next class will be? Called the exam info hotline but they never want to give the info out and Mrs. Robinson never picks up. I'm sure she gets harassed enough. Someone had mentioned Sept. but I really need to know. September or earlier will allow me to help my mother avoid losing her house. Knowing for sure will allow me to make contingency plans in the event that it is not in September.

I don't think they have any set date. I think it's whenever they need more workers. Based on last two classes though if they keep the same pattern it will be end of August-September. I would just go with what you plan to do if they don't have class because even if they have the class they could not get to your number or some issue comes up.

Was looking into the requirements for train operator based on the last exam here. http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808098000.pdf Requirement #2 is "Five years of full-time, paid satisfactory work experience." but there is absolutely no mention of what constitutes "satisfactory" work experience. I doubt it's just any old job experience. Can anyone please clarify if they know what would be considered satisfactory work experience? Thanks.