Why some flushing bound 7 trains terminate at Willis Point?

alekr

I was riding the 7 to Flushing when the train arrived at Willis Point everybody got off saying have to change trains to Flushing. I didn't hear the announcement because I'm deaf. Anybody know why some 7 trains terminate at Willis Point not continuing to Flushing?

Direct layup to the yard, plus capacity issues at Main St. There isn't enough time to change all the signs at Times Square, so only the C/R changes his car (or two). Sometimes there is time on a put-in that is just going back to Willets to have preset signs, but that's more uncommon than the regular. Also, all pre-described layups are at the discretion of local supervision. That is, most Willets Pt dropouts (as they are called) do indeed drop out there, but sometimes they go through.

If you've ever ridden a train into Main St at any time of day, you should know how backed up that station gets. It can sometimes take more than 10 minutes to go from Wallets to Main, and having some layups drop out at Wallets helps to not contribute to the congestion. These are on the schedule and should stay consistent from day to day. If Main St happens to be UNDER capacity, the train will be told to continue on.

Also why some (1)'s terminate at 137 Street. (I think...)

Actually, those uptown 1s turn at 137 St for the same reason some downtown Fs turn at Kings Hwy; there's less demand for the stations north of 137 St than there is south of the station.

Also why some (1)'s terminate at 137 Street. (I think...)

- S78 Hylan's example reasoning is more accurate.... its a capacity issue with the (7) getting into main st...

- The (1) at 137th is more of a "short turn" type of thing; basically what Lance pointed about.....

Although he's not wrong, I personally think it's more, so that those same NB trains (ending at 137th) can then turn around & help assist the crowds needing SB 1's towards S. Ferry.....

I know how you feel.

It happens every time during AM Rush Hour.

If I was lucky, (7) goes to Flushing.

There is no way of knowing.

I think b/c Flushing-Main St handle only 3 trains.

It suck when the train terminates at willets pt. but luckily there is always a train behind it and there is a way to know if the train terminates at willets pt. if the train switches to the express track there is a 95% chance that its going to terminate at that station

It suck when the train terminates at willets pt. but luckily there is always a train behind it and there is a way to know if the train terminates at willets pt. if the train switches to the express track there is a 95% chance that its going to terminate at that station

Wha????? Maybe in AM's, but in the PM's all of the Willets (you can blame my phone's stupid autocorrect on that one) dropouts are on C2. If you're on a local and you cross to M, chances are it's because there's a drop out on 2 and your train is running around it.

There are southbound R trains that drop out at Canal or Whitehall in the late evenings, leaving Brooklyn bound riders waiting 20 minutes for an Brooklyn-bound R train. (This is before the extra pleasure of late nights, where they have to wait 20 minutes for an N local and then another 20 minutes for an R shuttle which often doesn't wait for the connection.)

Archived