U.S. Ambassador to Libya Is Killed in Attack

Shortline Bus

13libya-image-articleInline.jpg

"The United States ambassador to Libya, J. Christopher Stevens, was killed along with three of his staff members in a fiery and furious attack on the American Consulate in Benghazi on Tuesday night by an armed mob angry over a short American-made video mocking Islam’s founding prophet, the White House and Libyan officials said on Wednesday Morning.

President Obama strongly condemned the killings and ordered increased security at American diplomatic posts around the world. American defense officials said 50 Marines were en route to Libya to strengthen security at United States diplomatic facilities.

The death of Ambassador Stevens was the first of an American envoy abroad in more than two decades.

“These four Americans stood up for freedom and human dignity,” Mr. Obama said in a televised statement from the White House Rose Garden where he stood side-by-side with Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton. “Make no mistake: we will work with the Libyan government to bring to justice the killers who attacked our people.”

Mr. Obama also offered praise for the Libyan government, noting that Libyan security forces fought back against the mob, helped protect American diplomats and took Mr. Stevens’s body to the hospital. “This attack will not break the bonds between the United States and Libya,” he said.

The attack at the compound in Benghazi was far more deadly than administration officials first announced on Tuesday night, when Mrs. Clinton said one American had been killed and one injured.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/world/middleeast/us-envoy-to-libya-is-reported-killed.html?_r=1&hp

Just face it, the US government meddling into foriegn affairs as usual will have it's repercussions.

this was an embassy they attacked and the ambassador they killed, neither of which have anything to do with the US Military. All countries have embassies in other countries and ambassadors as a way to establish peaceful diplomatic relations with one another. According to international law, an embassy from lets say England located in lets say Tunisia is considered british soil, if the Tunisans attacked the british embassy it is considered a direct attack on british soil, and the british would be perfectly in the right to respond militarily.

The islamic terrorists also attacked our embassy in Egypt, we give egypt billions in foreign aid, we should cut all aid to Egypt until they take a firm stance against these terrorists.

Religion of peace.....

How are those Crusades doing for you?

Look, I can play this game with you all day. Everybody in this situation is awful: our cartoonist idiot for desecrating their holy leader, their thugs who senselessly murdered...nobody looks good. At the end of the day, it's still not a reason to generalize the religion, and Mitt Romney made an idiot out of himself as usual.

Religion of peace.....

hows that arab spring going along?

All they need is a nuke and they can have their own nuclear winter. It was a mistake to think the middle east was ever ready for a democracy and to join the rest of the civilized world. They make fundamentalist christians in the south look tame and that's scary.

As for the attacks, they seem too 'sophisticated' to be done by a supposedly angry mob. Seems like terrorism in response to the 9/11 date.

So instead of disagreeing with a movie and protesting, they resort to looting, rioting, arson and murder.Yeah, a religion of peace alright. Im sure the Quran forbade all of this though right? Its funny because when there were controversal christian movies like the last temptation of christ that were released portraying jesus in a way christian fanatics didnt agree with, they just protested and complained, no riots or murdering at all. Same thing with the jews during the passion of the christ movie release. No murders or riots. Only the peaceful muslim religious people murder and riot when a movie or a drawing of Mohammad is displayed. I see tens of thousands of muslims in different countries acting this way during this movie issue and past issues. But this doesnt represent muslims as a whole does it?

Look, I can play this game with you all day. Everybody in this situation is awful: our cartoonist idiot for desecrating their holy leader, their thugs who senselessly murdered...nobody looks good. At the end of the day, it's still not a reason to generalize the religion, and Mitt Romney made an idiot out of himself as usual.

Please do explain how everyone in the situation was "awful." What exactly did the ambassador do that was "awful?" What did the Libyan forces who tried to protect the ambassador do that was "awful?" These rioters took out their anger on this single cartoonist on the ambassador, who had nothing to do with it, and their own countrymen, who were protecting the embassy. Speaking of which, why didn't we have any soldiers stationed there?

So when the big bad Qaddafi was around we help these people fight him, and then they pull this kind of shit with us. Just like how Egyptians tore up and burned the American flag the other day, and we supported their "rebels" as well. We shouldn't have been helping them out in the first place, especially with Mr. Obama fighting in these wars without Congress' approval and claiming he can bypass them and take orders from the UN and NATO, but that's for another discussion.

All i can say is this. I am 98% sure there will never ever be peace in the middle east ever. There was a civil war within the Muslim world between those who want to live in modern Western World and those stuck in the middle ages. This conflict has been ongoing many years before Israel was re-born in 1948.

I said from the start that no good will ever come out of the arab spring, and people were all in my face "oh Jon you should give them a chance, they want to be peaceful unlike the dictators that were running the show" and now we have two examples were the rebels are far more hostile to us than the former dictators were. Gadaffy knew not to pull any crap after Reagan got him, and Mubarak was one of the most tolerant of Israel out of all the arab heads of state.

What crusade? All I said was that this is coming from a religion that people keep saying is about peace. Seems like that notion is bullshit.

Jesus talked a lot about peace too, and Christianity has killed more people than any religion ever (including those Crusades). Your argument doesn't stand: the actions of few do not implicate the beliefs of many, period.

The cartoonist is not at fault in any way.

Really? It's something like yelling 'Fire' in a crowded theater: you can argue free speech, but you know you're going to hurt somebody or something by doing it.

Please do explain how everyone in the situation was "awful." What exactly did the ambassador do that was "awful?" What did the Libyan forces who tried to protect the ambassador do that was "awful?" These rioters took out their anger on this single cartoonist on the ambassador, who had nothing to do with it, and their own countrymen, who were protecting the embassy. Speaking of which, why didn't we have any soldiers stationed there?

I don't think it was that hard to get that "everybody" didn't refer to every human being involved, what I was saying was that both sides were idiots in this case, racist cartoonist and rioting fools included.

Jesus talked a lot about peace too, and Christianity has killed more people than any religion ever (including those Crusades). Your argument doesn't stand: the actions of few do not implicate the beliefs of many, period.

Are you a muslim? Is this why most of your posts are very defensive towards any kind of muslim comments or topics? You are talking about crusades that occurred more than 800 years ago. Aside from the old abortion clinic bombings / murders in the 80s, there havnt been any christian attacks on people for being non christian for a very long time. Infact after they rounded up the few abortion murderers that kind of thing was stopped dead in its tracks. Every time I see Christians or Jews protesting they are hardly out of control, rioting or hurting anyone. So stop talking about some 800 year old crusades you know nothing about except for some old stories you read.

Really? It's something like yelling 'Fire' in a crowded theater: you can argue free speech, but you know you're going to hurt somebody or something by doing it.

WRONG! it really is nothing like yelling fire in a crowded theatre. You arnt threatning peoples lives with a false emergency causing a stampede just by drawing a cartoon.

By this logic, you would have to tip toe around muslims because any word, disagreement or drawing might offend them and trigger mass murders, rioting and looting. People have drawn jesus and other religious figures for years without violent backlash. You cant admit the fact that the majority of these muslims are fanatics and will do anything no matter how violent or extreme to spread their islamic law. Even until this day the muslim religion goes to countries and will murder people who arnt muslim who dont abide by their rules or who dont convert. Take a look at the old Hindu country that is called Bangledesh today. Those people were all hindu but when the mustlims took over during the east and west pakistan creation, they forced them to convert to being muslim or die. Same thing when Pakistan was created, they murdered all of the native Sindh and others who refused to convert, put their headless corpses on a train and sent it to India. And this was in the time span of thelast 60 years, not some old 800 year history of crusades.

Stop defending muslims at any cost because you are obviously biased and will do so to defend the religion.

I guess it's the girls' fault that she got raped...it's what she was wearing, right?

Are you a muslim? Is this why most of your posts are very defensive towards any kind of muslim comments or topics? You are talking about crusades that occurred more than 800 years ago. Aside from the old abortion clinic bombings / murders in the 80s, there havnt been any christian attacks on people for being non christian for a very long time. Infact after they rounded up the few abortion murderers that kind of thing was stopped dead in its tracks. Every time I see Christians or Jews protesting they are hardly out of control, rioting or hurting anyone. So stop talking about some 800 year old crusades you know nothing about except for some old stories you read.

No, I'm not Muslim, I'm a Christian. That might be shocking to to you, but I'm allowed to defend these ridiculous allegations without being "one of them." Religion (and specifically Christianity) has killed massive amounts of people, and any religious hatred is unacceptable on all grounds. This anti-Muslim attitude that so many of you hold is just gonna lead to even more deaths, as will their anti-Western attitude.

WRONG! it really is nothing like yelling fire in a crowded theatre. You arnt threatning peoples lives with a false emergency causing a stampede just by drawing a cartoon.

By this logic, you would have to tip toe around muslims because any word, disagreement or drawing might offend them and trigger mass murders, rioting and looting. People have drawn jesus and other religious figures for years without violent backlash. You cant admit the fact that the majority of these muslims are fanatics and will do anything no matter how violent or extreme to spread their islamic law. Even until this day the muslim religion goes to countries and will murder people who arnt muslim who dont abide by their rules or who dont convert. Take a look at the old Hindu country that is called Bangledesh today. Those people were all hindu but when the mustlims took over during the east and west pakistan creation, they forced them to convert to being muslim or die. Same thing when Pakistan was created, they murdered all of the native Sindh and others who refused to convert, put their headless corpses on a train and sent it to India. And this was in the time span of thelast 60 years, not some old 800 year history of crusades.

Stop defending muslims at any cost because you are obviously biased and will do so to defend the religion.

It was a racist film (not a cartoon), and you're going to create a very similar level of pandemonium by doing so. If it were this anti-Christian or anti-Jewish, nobody would be defending the filmmaker. I watched about 15 minutes of it, and it's just a horrendous piece of racism and prejudice. It's not worth defending, and the filmmaker knew very well just how angry he'd make people by making the film (just imagine Muslims doing a similar film about Christianity). I'm not saying that we shouldn't be critical of religion, I'm saying that we should defend racist films like this one. Once more, I'm not biased, I'm just interested in avoiding a third World War here, and riling up Muslims and anti-Western anger across the world with racist films isn't gonna help with that.

I guess it's the girls' fault that she got raped...it's what she was wearing, right?

That has nothing to do with what I was saying. Hate films will always result in anger, and this "unspeakable idiot" in the words of an Israeli official knew full well he'd be creating this kind of trouble.

No, I'm not Muslim, I'm a Christian. That might be shocking to to you, but I'm allowed to defend these ridiculous allegations without being "one of them." Religion (and specifically Christianity) has killed massive amounts of people, and any religious hatred is unacceptable on all grounds. This anti-Muslim attitude that so many of you hold is just gonna lead to even more deaths, as will their anti-Western attitude.

I dont believe a word you say. you exhibit extremely biased behavior and your arguments are irrational and completely wrong.

That was the best analogy to describe it.

I dont believe a word you say. you exhibit extremely biased behavior and your arguments are irrational and completely wrong.

Good for you. Don't believe me. I don't actually care enough about this stuff to lie. Religious warfare is stupid in every way, and my only interest is avoiding more conflict (for my sake, and for the sake of the kids I hope to be a parent of one day). Go on with the anger and hate, see how it turns out.

As for the second part of that you just added on, you really think "so what" is the correct response to racism? Like I said, the rioters are idiots in every way. But that film was unacceptable in every way, and I'm not a spineless person to say it'll create pandemonium, I'm just a person who has seen what this kind of religious anger results in and is wary of any more of it.

Edit: Even more, alright. Look, we're not gonna see eye to eye on this, regardless. I don't want to blame everyone else, I've actually made multiple posts pointing out how idiotic the actions of the rioters are. It's a little hard for me to believe that you could make as racist an anti-Christian film if you were a Muslim and get away with it, but who knows. Maybe so. I don't understand why you're getting so angry about this in the first place.

I dont believe a word you say. you exhibit extremely biased behavior and your arguments are irrational and completely wrong

You have also exibited extreme behavior

including, but not limited to biasness, vulgarity, and profanity.

That was the best analogy to describe it.

No, it was not. And my post on the previous page still stands.

Good for you. Don't believe me. I don't actually care enough about this stuff to lie. Religious warfare is stupid in every way, and my only interest is avoiding more conflict (for my sake, and for the sake of the kids I hope to be a parent of one day). Go on with the anger and hate, see how it turns out.

As for the second part of that you just added on, you really think "so what" is the correct response to racism? Like I said, the rioters are idiots in every way. But that film was unacceptable in every way, and I'm not a spineless person to say it'll create pandemonium, I'm just a person who has seen what this kind of religious anger results in and is wary of any more of it.

So what if it was a racist film or not? Its just a movie. That does not give anyone any right to go murder and burn and riot. You are a spinless person to say its creating this level of pandimonium. As for your horse shit statements about if it was an anti christian or anti jewish film no one would be defending the film maker, you are wrong again. I already stated atleast two films where the film makers were defended no matter how severe or subtle the film was and there are plenty more films that no one acted this extreme. You just cant stand the fact that these muslims are showing the world who and what they are really about when they act this way. You just want to blame everyone else and call them instigators. Yet people who take the high road dont let instigators get to their emotions and even if they do, they dont murder innocent people or loot and riot.

Have fun living in your delusional world. When you wake up one day and face reality you will be hurting big time.

Archived