Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Shortline Bus

Should there be a new off topic subforum on "fantasy" transit systems?

Hey guys a question? With a couple of recent posts on a "Fantasy" transit such as Liberty City and of course from the hugely popular video game San Andreas, it is time to just create a regular subforum for that and also maps/photos for this?

I fully agree. Since 2008, I've been developing a fictional TTC/MTA transit system mix and I would love to share it on this forum.

I thought I was a weirdo for making one, before, on another forum I frequent, I discovered a thread on the subject and many individuals with similiar ideas.

I agree. It would (seriously) keep all our foaming fantasies in one forum with relevant MTA info in the other. Even at least a sticky could be a good compromise as compared to the utterly insane viewpoints of all those who envision a local D train on CPW which is seriously ridiculous. I didn't forget.

I agree. It would (seriously) keep all our foaming fantasies in one forum with relevant MTA info in the other. Even at least a sticky could be a good compromise as compared to the utterly insane viewpoints of all those who envision a local D train on CPW which is seriously ridiculous. I didn't forget.

I assume that the forum would be for both foamer fantasies and fictional municipalities?

I meant the proposed subforum. I think that's genius on the part of Shortline Bus. Makes sense to me. At least as a sticky if anyone is interested in giving this concept a trial run.

• Upvote 1

Guys i will merge both the Liberty and SA threads and make a sticky in off topic. For now it be renamed "Fantasy Transit Systems." I will talk to Harry and see if he will approve the permament change of a new subforum on it. :) IMO from the replies here it might be a no brainer.

And Concourse ditto for running that idea to Harry about a new regular sports and entertainment subforum in the off topic area. :D I run it by him, but GC feel free to also send a PM message.

I support the idea of a thread for purely fantasy transit systems that don't exist, but not one for fantasy MTA ideas. Remember that while creating a thread can have the effect of containing the topic (which is good in this case), it also encourages people to post more stuff about the topic because there's a dedicated thread "asking" for it. We don't want to encourage more MTA fantasies IMO. The disadvantages seem to outweigh the benefits for that, since it seems like MTA fantasies aren't very common in the first place contrary to common belief (so I don't think there's any reason to encourage more of them). People who just want to post stuff because they're bored'll start repeating the same "fantasies" again and again if there's a dedicated thread for them. Edited by TheSubwayStation
  • Upvote 5

I support the idea of a thread for purely fantasy transit systems that don't exist, but not one for fantasy MTA ideas. Remember that while creating a thread can have the effect of containing the topic (which is good in this case), it also encourages people to post more stuff about the topic because there's a dedicated thread "asking" for it. We don't want to encourage more MTA fantasies IMO. The disadvantages seem to outweigh the benefits for that, since it seems like MTA fantasies aren't very common in the first place contrary to common belief (so I don't think there's any reason to encourage more of them). People who just want to post stuff because they're bored'll start repeating the same "fantasies" again and again if there's a dedicated thread for them.

I agree 100% SS. Assuming Harry gives the ok to this propsed new subforum in off topic, it will not be about the MTA.

• Upvote 2

Very good idea, this "fantasy" subforums could also include Simulators like OpenBVE and Trainz hopefully or that could be in another category.

Don't forget Cities In Motion. ;)

I say a cities in motion/fictional simulator and fictional municipalities.IAM also working on one and would love to share my ideas and receive feedback on it. :)

I support the idea of a thread for purely fantasy transit systems that don't exist, but not one for fantasy MTA ideas. Remember that while creating a thread can have the effect of containing the topic (which is good in this case), it also encourages people to post more stuff about the topic because there's a dedicated thread "asking" for it. We don't want to encourage more MTA fantasies IMO. The disadvantages seem to outweigh the benefits for that, since it seems like MTA fantasies aren't very common in the first place contrary to common belief (so I don't think there's any reason to encourage more of them). People who just want to post stuff because they're bored'll start repeating the same "fantasies" again and again if there's a dedicated thread for them.

Why not? There's nothing wrong with fantasy MTA ideas along with fictional systems. I can't see why it would hurt. Again, as long as those ventures are kept in a seperate thread apart from revelent MTA discussions, I don't see no harm in it. As for your other concerns as to how this would go we do have a good moderation team to keep redundant threads and posts based on old ideas in check.

Otherwise your points are well taken.

Edited by realizm

Why not? There's nothing wrong with fantasy MTA ideas along with fictional systems. I can't see why it would hurt. Again, as long as those ventures are kept in a seperate thread apart from revelent MTA discussions, I don't see no harm in it. As for your other concerns as to how this would go we do have a good moderation team to keep redundant threads and posts based on old ideas in check.

Otherwise your points are well taken.

I don't really like the fantasy ideas, because I find that they tend to be either ridiculous (e.g. extending lines to crazy places) or repetitive (e.g. lots of people making the same arguments over and over about why the (W) should come back). That's just my opinion.
  • Upvote 2

I just feel like the fantasy threads get out of hand now. At one time it may have been a good idea, but I see most of them turning into arguments now.

• Upvote 1

Oh, when you mentioned "fantasy" at first, I was thinking video games and such. I don't see those threads turning into arguments. But now that I look at it more, you're also thinking about the fantasy NYC transit systems. Yeah, those usually turn into arguments and I wouldn't want those. It's bad enough some of the fights that occur on this forum over "fantasy."