NBA 2012-2013 Thread

Shortline Bus

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, this is deplorable and embarrassing how many shots they are missing. Forget about round 2, it'll be a miracle they prevent this from going into 7 games.

See, by slowing the tempo of the game down, they're playing into the celtics hands right now.... This is why you're starting to see better decisions being made (team-wise) & on top of that, more shots going down by their vets (pierce, garnett, terry)..... Jeff Green being the main offensive presence/threat was not gonna get it done & I'm quite sure Doc Rivers knew that....

Simply put, the knicks are not making the celtics run (like they did in game 1 & 2) & they're not knockin down shots..... Even though they won those first 2 games in deciding enough fashion, the knicks' shot selection has been questionable the entire season (basically).... These past 3 games, less & less of those shots are going in.... They better be careful.... Someone other than Melo is gonna have to provide an offensive spark (I'm not just talking about for friday's game, but if they get past the celtics, for round 2 & onward)....

I'm seeing a complete momentum shift with the knicks are playing right now.... And really, it's not anything Boston's doing differently defensively....

^^ (damn, that sounded like expert analysis right there... lol)

Seriously though, team better get it together before we have a 2004 Yankees-Red Sox situation all over again....

Only managed to get two predictions right (team & # of games won in) - The heat in 4 (which was as obvious as you can get) & the bulls in 7....

ehh, As the first round played out:

B35's picks: Thunder in 5, Spurs in 5, Nuggets in 6, Grizzlies in 5, Heat [brooms], Knicks in 7, Pacers [brooms], Bulls in 7

Real Results: Thunder in 6, Spurs in 4, Warriors in 6, Grizzlies in 6, Heat [brooms], Knicks in 6, Pacers in 6, Bulls in 7

- Thunder/Rockets.... figured houston would take at least 1 from OKC.... the loss of Westbrook though could've easily had this going 7 w/ OKC hanging on by the skin of their teeth.... I'll admit that I didn't think OKC was THIS vulnerable w/o Westbrook; IDC what recent sports illustrated cover he graces where he bitches about being second all his life - Durant is just too passive for his own good...

- Spurs/Lakers.... What the hell was I smoking in thinking that these lakers would steal a game in this series.... Did they even come close in any of the 4 games??

- Warriors/Nuggets.... This series could've went either way, so I don't feel too bad about this being the only series where I predicted the wrong team.... Although I have to say that the Warriors did almost EVERYTHING you could possibly do to squander a game in that 4th quarter of game 6 (speaking of escaping by the skin of their teeth)... Damn is Curry & Jack a lethal backcourt or what...

- Grizzlies/Clippers.... I didn't buy into the hype of "Lob city" - that shit is only good for bringing ppl. to their sets... You don't win championships w/ that streetball style of play.... I have to say though that I'm surprised that Memphis ended up being down 0-2 in the first place & busted out 4 straight, to boot.... Lol, I didn't think memphis was capable of scoring 110+ w/o Rudy Gay....

- Heat/Bucks.... Didn't watch one game in this series.... Didn't have to.

- Knicks/Celtics..... Simply put, the Knicks need to grow up (especially JR Smith) - these are the playoffs now (even with as lackluster as this first round has been)... I predicted this series to go 7, but not in the fashion that it almost did....

T'hell w/ Carmelo for a second - They're lucky Prigioni & Shumpert (2 of the UN-likeliest of ppl) came out of nowhere in that last game & got hot when they did.... But the way they squandered that 26 point lead in the 4th just screams fixation, I'm sorry..... All of a sudden the Celtics are dropping buckets left & right & carmelo firing bricks all over the place, further contributing to as many consecutive empty possessions they had in that stretch... If you saw that game 6, It was a like a switch having been turned off or something as to how one-sided the game was in that 4 minute stretch or w/e.... Furthermore, how in the world do you only score 27 points in the first HALF?

- Pacers/Hawks... Didn't watch too much of this series; only saw that game where the Pacers got spanked (think it was last saturday) & was too busy LMFAO at it all.... How the Hawks made a series out of this sure beats the hell out of me *shrugs*..... The better question is, how'd they get the 6 seed.... I think the Bucks would've gave the Pacers a better fight, to be perfectly honest....

- Bulls/Nets.... Lol... This is a series you would've thought the Nets (on paper) would easily take in 5.... This was a "back & forth" series if I ever saw one, and not in an exciting sort of way either.... Two dirty/scrappy ass teams matched up with each other that has inconsistencies when it comes to how they go about scoring on a game in/game out basis... I didn't see every game in this series, but to sum it up, the Bulls bench was better than the Nets bench - and that a large reason why I 1] picked the bulls in this series & 2] had this series going 7..... Not sure how else I can put this, but the Nets have no "personality" about them....

I will say this, i didn't expect the knicks to go cold in game 4 and 5 especially melo missing so many shots.

The Nets, well credit to them, i expected them to fold in game 5 after blowing that lead in game 4 before losing in 3ot. So to force a game 7, good for them, but to lose to an understaffed bulls, well thats just sad. I maybe hoping miami beats the Bulls, because the knicks seem better matched against the heat than the bulls.

I will say this, i didn't expect the knicks to go cold in game 4 and 5 especially melo missing so many shots.

The Nets, well credit to them, i expected them to fold in game 5 after blowing that lead in game 4 before losing in 3ot. So to force a game 7, good for them, but to lose to an understaffed bulls, well thats just sad. I maybe hoping miami beats the Bulls, because the knicks seem better matched against the heat than the bulls.

Question... are you more of a knicks fan or more of a nets fan ?

Imagine the NBA's greatest nightmare. Memphis-Indiana NBA finals. I can see David Stern and the broadcasters waking up drenched in sweat every night for the next few weeks. Think of the blockbuster ratings around the country. I wonder if the league has already sent out memos to the referees to "do the right thing" or look for other employment next year.

Knicks, never cared for the nets. I only cared about the nets to beat the bulls, but since the winner gets miami, i guess it didnt matter.

I see, so you just wanted chicago gone... Gotcha....

I don't have the same despisal of these bulls as I did the MJ/Phil Jackson bulls.....

Imagine the NBA's greatest nightmare. Memphis-Indiana NBA finals. I can see David Stern and the broadcasters waking up drenched in sweat every night for the next few weeks. Think of the blockbuster ratings around the country. I wonder if the league has already sent out memos to the referees to "do the right thing" or look for other employment next year.

Try the next few seasons..... Such a low-rated finals would affect the league for well past the 2014 season....

Combine that if the NBA's best "superteam" breaks up, and the NBA's ratings would be hit HARD

Thunder win game 1... Spurs stole game 1... Bulls win game 1... Pacers win game 1...

Grizzlies win game 2... Warriors win game 2... Heat (in embarrassing fashion) win game 2... Knicks (in embarrassing fashion) win game 2...

- Gee, I wonder who Stern & company wants to have play in the ECF....

- Spurs/Warriors (so far) is the most exciting 2nd round series.... the other 3 series are drab as hell IMO....

- Chicago's entertaining this bit about Rose playing in game 3.... Personally, I think it'll be a detriment to Rose & the team if he comes back in these playoffs.... MJ in his prime himself added to this Bulls team couldn't help them overcome this superteam the NBA manufactured.... I doubt the Bulls here will win another game in this series anyway.....

- Durant: is the criticism of him (in this round) fair, or unjust ?

- lol @ people saying the Warriors are a better team.... I wouldn't say they're a better team, what they are though is younger (& the fact they have one of, if not the best shooting backcourts in the league doesn't hurt either).... Classic "youth vs experience" type of clashes - Let's see which side of the scale wins out.....

- Love the way LeBron hid behind "birdman, birdman" (lol) after him & Noah bumped into each other in that testy game 2 matchup.....

Just goes to show that it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog....

....and with that, I'm out

Well so far the offensive minded teams are getting shut down by the defenses in most of the series. The Golden State-Spurs series seems to be the most entertaining. The leading scorers this year, 'Melo and Durant, have hit the brick wall and their team mates seem to be auditioning for bricklayers union cards. Miami is the only team rolling along and that's because they're playing the team from the hospital aka the Bulls. Unless a miracle happens get ready for a Heat-Pacers and a Spurs-Grizzlies conference finals. At this point it appears that only the Warriors can make this interesting. Carry on.

Well, looks like another 6game series for the Knicks. Pacers wins the series and the Knicks gets bounced, or should i say choked as they had the lead only to let it slip away. Either way, i pretty much expect the Heat to win the east to get to the finals. Such a travesty the Knicks let the pacers beat them like this, but then again maybe it's their own fault for being too reliant on Melo to be their main man and him missing shots (live and die by him).

Well, looks like another 6game series for the Knicks. Pacers wins the series and the Knicks gets bounced, or should i say choked as they had the lead only to let it slip away. Either way, i pretty much expect the Heat to win the east to get to the finals. Such a travesty the Knicks let the pacers beat them like this, but then again maybe it's their own fault for being too reliant on Melo to be their main man and him missing shots (live and die by him).

The knicks did it to themselves, I don't feel sorry for them.... They shot themselves in the foot earlier on in the series w/ not making their shots... After the fact, to me, it seemed like they were torn between playing their style of 'ball & (putting stock in what the sports media suggested by) playing the pacers style of 'ball - That, you gotta put on Woodson..... I originally predicted Pacers in 6, but to be honest, I didn't think the knicks were gonna win that game 5.....

What I will say is, had the knicks won last night, there was a high chance of them gettin mad calls under the sun in that possible game 7 & moving on to face the heat.... Ah well.... Back to the drawing board for them.

I'ma also say, Chandler got BEAT in this series by Hibbert......

Point Blank.

I'm just hoping it's due to chandler being injured or whatever this season and he bounces back to his mavericks form. I guess it was to be expected the team could do so much by riding on melo with most of the team injured or at 60%. I guess it was a pipe dream to hope for a finals or just a conference finals visit, but to lose to the Pacers? The heat or the bulls, fine, but it's the Pacers...

Is woodson signed for next year? I would hope the team goes after jeff van gundy if he wants to coach again. Not sure if he can make a difference, but i just don't feel like woodson has his full energy in the team. 'He has no fire'.

• 2 weeks later...

Well San Antonio sweeps the Grizzlies out in the Western conference finals. I admire the Spurs but I never expected a sweep of Memphis. Tony Parker stepped his game up in this series. BTW I was glad to see the "Iceman", George Gervin present the trophy to the Spurs. In the East Miami is leading the Pacers as expected. I will say that the most impressive player I've seen in the Eastern playoffs has to be Hibbert of Indiana. He totally embarrased Chandler and the Knicks. From what I've seen so far he seems to be the only player in the Eastern Conference who plays the center position like the old time big men played it. I guess Georgetown still teaches it's big men how to play the old school way. Ewing, Mourning, Motumbo, were all known as defensive centers in college. I remember Hibbert going up against Greg Oden in the NCAA tournament a few years ago. My how things have changed for those two players since then. Carry on.

Well San Antonio sweeps the Grizzlies out in the Western conference finals. I admire the Spurs but I never expected a sweep of Memphis. Tony Parker stepped his game up in this series. BTW I was glad to see the "Iceman", George Gervin present the trophy to the Spurs. In the East Miami is leading the Pacers as expected. I will say that the most impressive player I've seen in the Eastern playoffs has to be Hibbert of Indiana. He totally embarrased Chandler and the Knicks. From what I've seen so far he seems to be the only player in the Eastern Conference who plays the center position like the old time big men played it. I guess Georgetown still teaches it's big men how to play the old school way. Ewing, Mourning, Motumbo, were all known as defensive centers in college. I remember Hibbert going up against Greg Oden in the NCAA tournament a few years ago. My how things have changed for those two players since then. Carry on.

I have no respect for Hibbert after his bitching to the media about Battier & other heat players barreling in on him in the paint.... But he's supposed to be so gritty/tough.... Mighty funny after that game 1, he (Hibbert) has a career game - He was all smiles then during the post game interview of game 2.... Yeah, I bet - after only having 2 FT attempts in game 1, he goes 9-10 at the FT line in game 2... Really?

I'm not putting this guy in the class of the great big's - back when they were true-to-the-game big's (playing the old school way).... They could take a bump & a bruise & chalk it up as being all part of the game - Not this whiny, petted, brand of basketball we're witnessing in today's game.... 7'2" damn near 300 pounds moping to the media on some *he hit me* shit..... Pathetic.

The old school big's should be laughing their asses off at the way big's play (and the level at which they complain to the ref's) today...

I despise parker just as much as I despise LBJ & Wade...

I have no dog in the fight, but I think stern & company will fix the games as to where the heat'll end up winning it....

HA i actually agree that it could be fixed, atleast someone agrees with me!

I'm not putting this guy in the class of the great big's - back when they were true-to-the-game big's (playing the old school way).... They could take a bump & a bruise & chalk it up as being all part of the game - Not this whiny, petted, brand of basketball we're witnessing in today's game.... 7'2" damn near 300 pounds moping to the media on some *he hit me* shit..... Pathetic.

The old school big's should be laughing their asses off at the way big's play (and the level at which they complain to the ref's) today...

Gotta agree with you 100% about the old school big men.I'm not ready to crown Hibbert great, either. What surprised me was the way Hibbert outplayed Chandler during that series. Let's face it most NBA bigs today can't play the center position the way the oldtimers did, offensively or defensively. Under-sized centers like Willis Reed or Wes Unseld would dominate today's bigs like Hibbert, or Kendrick Perkins of OKC as well as Chandler. I can remember forwards like Charles Oakley and Dennis Rodman frustrating Shaq when he came into the league and he never whined about it.. When you look at how the league has changed since Shaq's early days today's big men play forward offensively. Think Garnett, Duncan, Dirk, or Durant. I look at them as sort of hybrid-centers because they have the size of  many old time centers but they play a position similar to Elvin Hayes or Bob McAdoo. That's what makes it hard to classify today's players compared to the NBA of 20, 30, even 40 years ago. BTW I'm also feeling a vibe from the league about the Heat.

Archived