NBA 2012-2013 Thread

Shortline Bus

I just read an article on the MSN home page about the Surs being fined $ 250 K for not playing Parker, Ginoblli, and Duncan against Miami last night. David Stern says it hurt the league's integrity or something to that effect. The Heat won the game by 5 points at the end. I'm 50-50 on this one. It was a televised game, the arena was sold out, and fans paid big bucks to see the stars play. I understand that and it's probably the only time SA comes to Miami this regular season. On the other hand is the NBA league office really so stupid to schedule the SA team to play 4 games in 5 nights? As part of a 6 game road trip ? Who really is at fault here?

The NBA schedule is so weird. At times during the full regular season teams sometimes only have 1 game a week. Other times the brutal 4-5 games a week. So of course injuries are a way of way life here. Thus i dont blame the Spurs Coach for resting his star players either. Season is barely a month old.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just read an article on the MSN home page about the Surs being fined $ 250 K for not playing Parker, Ginoblli, and Duncan against Miami last night. David Stern says it hurt the league's integrity or something to that effect. The Heat won the game by 5 points at the end. I'm 50-50 on this one. It was a televised game, the arena was sold out, and fans paid big bucks to see the stars play. I understand that and it's probably the only time SA comes to Miami this regular season. On the other hand is the NBA league office really so stupid to schedule the SA team to play 4 games in 5 nights? As part of a 6 game road trip ? Who really is at fault here?

I heard about this before I left the office.... Stern slapping a fine of a quarter-of-a-million dollars on the franchise due to popovich sitting out his stars... Flat out Ridiculous... Someone on ESPN made the point that the NBA set the Spurs up to lose this game, considering the Heat's schedule & the Spurs' schedule up to the point before the game - I think that's a valid point (being that, that's the only time this season the 2 teams play each other)....

If you ask me, Stern fined the Spurs because he simply got BEAT by Popovich; I bet money that Popovich sat out his stars out of shear spite.... Like you goin try to set us up to lose? Oh yeah, then I'ma put out an inferior product for this east coast matchup (which almost won the game too !) and play my stars in the next game we have, which is against a good west coast team (Grizzlies) like we are - Thus putting a monkeywrench in your plans..... The underlying problem is that all of this was done at the expense of the fans......

If this game wasn't televised, this would be a non-issue.... Hurt the integrity of the league my ass.

Where's that argument when teams sit their star players out towards the end of the season to rest themselves for the playoffs?

Had the spurs won last night, stern would've looked like a total a**hole fining these guys.

I'm 100% with Popovich on this.

Another reason Stern is a joke along with Goodell and Bud Selig...

Seriously $250k for sitting out some star players? Abuse of power, that's all I see it. If it was to make sure people sees the stars playing, the schedules would've been evened out [to play at least twice] or maybe they should just focus on having teams play within their own conference so there won't be this issue about traveling and teams playing each other less than 2 times.

(The other idea would be to contract some teams like the Wizards, Bobcats, Hornets, and or Hawks. But that's a different matter.)

Another reason Stern is a joke along with Goodell and Bud Selig...

Seriously $250k for sitting out some star players? Abuse of power, that's all I see it.

That's all it is.... I mean, I aint ever heard of a team gettin fined for sitting players out before this....

And silly me... Once upon a time I used to think that schedules were 100% randomized....

Now it's randomized w/ a little bit of tweaks here & there so that certain teams play certain teams at certain junctures of the season.....

As Loudmouth A. Smith would say.... "The fix is in."

That's all it is.... I mean, I aint ever heard of a team gettin fined for sitting players out before this....

And silly me... Once upon a time I used to think that schedules were 100% randomized....

Now it's randomized w/ a little bit of tweaks here & there so that certain teams play certain teams at certain junctures of the season.....

As Loudmouth A. Smith would say.... "The fix is in."

I gotta agree with you there. When the schedule was set up someone in the league office had to know this game, featuring star players and franchises would be televised. Instead of tweaking the schedule you had one team, coming to the end of a grueling road trip, having to play the NBA's new favorite team last, knowing the Spurs have an important Western Conference game coming up next. Coach Pop played it right. Stern should have fined/fired his schedule makers instead. Too bad the Spurs didn't win the game.

"The result here is dictated by the totality of the facts in this case," Stern said in a statement. "The Spurs decided to make four of their top players unavailable for an early-season game that was the team's only regular-season visit to Miami. The team also did this without informing the Heat, the media, or the league office in a timely way. Under these circumstances, I have concluded that the Spurs did a disservice to the league and our fans."

I was right... He's miffed because he got beat.... He didn't get a chance to refuse Popovich's decision, so he fined the spurs...

Petty little "I want the last word" crap; the first right to refusal, like all these suits love to be in the position of.....

What difference would it have made if Popovich told the heat, the media, and the league office?

"Sorry guys, no duncan, no parker, no ginobili tonight - don't bother coming".... Don't bother tuning in on your television sets......

I mean come on.....

Just to add a quick note on the Spurs-NBA story. The Spurs beat the Memphis Grizzlies 99-95 tonight. I didn't see the game but after reading the box scores it seems Coach Pop's rested starters came through for the team. Since this was a conference and a division game it was more important to the Spurs than the Miami game was. Carry on.

I don't think the Heat has complete chemistry just yet. After almost giving away the game to the Spurs's bench, and then the Nets, I don't think it is safe to say that the Heat is in it's prime. One thing I did notice is that LeBron seemed to be moving away from the ball. Last year he would bring the ball up for the Heat, run the offense, or ever take it to the hole. Now he lets Wade and Chalmers bring up the ball a lot more, and seems to settle for the three pointer instead of a layup or jumper. Sure, he makes a good percentage of them, but the three is not his game. We can agree that the Heat already has enough shooters from deep.

On another note, do you think LeBron will be better than Magic once he has ended his career?

Carmelo Anthony of the New York Knicks (#7) was named the Eastern Conference Player of the Week while Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder (#35) was named the Western Conference Player of the Week.

On yesterday's game (Suns vs. Knicks), Rasheed Wallace got two technical fouls in less than two minutes and was ejected from the game. His first technical foul was from fouling Luis Scola with a retaliation form, and his second technical foul was from shouting or yelling "BALL DON'T LIE" after a player missed the first technical free throw. Knicks won 7-0 from home court, beat the Suns 106-99.

Ahh, Rasheed Wallace is back with technical fouls.. I still remember almost 10 years ago when he was ejected from intimidating a referee named Ron Gerretson. His words to Wallace:

"WHACK, GET OUT!"

In other NBA news, some big changes could be coming to the league. New New Orleans Owner Tom Benson(also the boss of the NFL Saints)wants to change the team name to the Pelicans. While the Micheal Jordan Owned Bobcats would once again become the Hornets(when the New Orleans club first started in North Carolina in the late 1980's.)

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/12/04/report-hornets-set-for-name-change/

I heard about this too. If the Kings move to Virginia, it is also locally rumored they will be called the Sea Kings.

If the Sac-Town Kings leave Northern Calif. for Virginia, it's time for serious realignment. You can't have a team in the Hampton Roads area play in a same division with teams like the Lakers, Warriors, Suns, etc.

Personally the Kings should go to Seattle but if they relocate to Va. Beach, IMO i would move the Bucks to the West's Northwest Division and have a rival w/ Minnesota.

I saw that on the bottom panel on espn earlier.... Got a good laugh off that....

All I could think about is a bunch of grown men with this on their jerseys:

180px-279Pelipper.png

(Pelipper... pel-ip-perrrrr)

Anyway, what I wanted to say was.... What the heck has happened to the Celtics? These guys are supposed to be the so-called runner up in the east to the heat this year.... Pierce had them ank's (ankles) broken by like 3 different players in one week (the sweetest one coming from joe johnson; had pierce waving at the ball on the ground).... He looks like he's goin on 50 yrs old out there on the court; even old man Stack' & old man 'Sheed are outplaying him right now..... Anyway, damn guard position play, I didn't realize how reliant they were on Rondo to win games.... Some say it's b/c Allen went off to the heat; while true, I don't think that's the sole reason.....

edit: That joe johnson/paul pierce play I was talkin 'bout:

(I can't stop lookin at this)

piercelol.gif

Knicks body the Heat tonight in another 20 point defeat, 112-92.....

LMAO how empty the AA Arena got after like 3 mins. to go in the 4th....

Heat only scored like 10 or 12 points in that last quarter.... 12, because it was 90-80 after the 3rd....

Yes, the Knicks hit 18 threes, but it has to get quite disturbing/worrisome the rate at which they're taking all these threes (18 of 44)....

Last night against the Bobcats (a game they had no business winning), they went 13 of 41 from three.....

True about the 3s, just like the Yankees relying too much on homers to win the game. Though for the team without Melo, they did pretty well. I mean it's one of those strange deals where the Knicks can beat Miami twice, but lose to the Nets. While the Heat can beat the Nets. How does this make sense?

Alot of things don't make sense in life lol... I remember seeing Carmelo flying right into the seats trying to save the ball from going out of bounds...

True about the Yankees part...

@B35: LOL at the Pelipper photo... Just heard about the name change too...

True about the 3s, just like the Yankees relying too much on homers to win the game. Though for the team without Melo, they did pretty well. I mean it's one of those strange deals where the Knicks can beat Miami twice, but lose to the Nets. While the Heat can beat the Nets. How does this make sense?

Welcome to the world of sports....

iono, something tells me that the knicks went into this game feeling as if they had to rely on the 3-ball, knowing they were going to be w/o carmelo last night.... I'll keep saying this, Knicks fans gotta be pretty happy they're doing this good w/o Amare.... Not sure how long they can keep this (good play) up though.....

Alot of things don't make sense in life lol... I remember seeing Carmelo flying right into the seats trying to save the ball from going out of bounds...

True about the Yankees part...

@B35: LOL at the Pelipper photo... Just heard about the name change too...

I'm sayin though.... I'm not seeing what a Pelican has to do w/ the city of New Orleans....

Anyway, on that play 'Melo got injured..... He didn't have to dive into the stands to save that ball b/c it was gonna be a 24 second violation on the Bobcats....

Bro the "Pelican" is the offical bird of state of La. They might be all cool for a team named for college team with a team cenetred around entire state of louisiana but not the crescent city. IMO since the Utah team has the name "Jazz" (they moved from NO around 1980)what about the name "Blues?" I know the NHL team in St Louis has it(if they ever play again lol)but NO is about music and would be a good compromise. Even the term "Cajuns"(the team name for Adam Sandler's hit movie "Waterboy" lol) is better sounding than "Pelicans."

I'm sayin though.... I'm not seeing what a Pelican has to do w/ the city of New Orleans....

Anyway, on that play 'Melo got injured..... He didn't have to dive into the stands to save that ball b/c it was gonna be a 24 second violation on the Bobcats....

That's what I was saying on Carmelo... He must have forgotten how many seconds left on the shot clock...

Archived