NBA 2012-2013 Thread

Shortline Bus

Knicks in 7? I'm a little surprised. I mean granted the big guys are still injured, but I think Boston is pretty depleted as well. I would think at most 5 or 6.

Bulls, I still worry about them the most. I kinda expect they might win that in 5 or 6 games as well. I still find it surprising the Nets are 4th. What a difference a year made.

Yeah, I think that series is gonna be dragged out... I don't trust the knicks to finish teams quickly in the playoffs....

You should hear the (despair from) knicks fans that are worried about them even having to play Boston....

Bulls have played spoiler all year (basically)... The Nets do not wanna get into that "grind it out" type of a game that the Bulls play...

But if they're still going through with that plan, I have to say that the Bulls would be crazy to put Rose out there sometime in the middle of this playoffs...

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having similar thoughts. Yeah the Knicks, they are in the no 1 spot as of now, but with all the players that held it down in the season who are on the injured list as of now or are banged up (Pablo Prigioni, with his sprained ankle sprained his right ankle, Iman Shumpert with leg cramps, Chris Copeland who  hurt his left shoulder, etc etc), I don't know how this is gonna turn out for the rest of the season.

Certainty I'm taking any chances in any pools any soon with the Celtics battle ongoing with this one at work, lol I got bills to pay. I'm real nervous about this one. Yeah with Carmello Anthony who scored 36 points with 4 steals, leading the Knicks to a 85-78 victory Saturday in their playoff opener, being the foundation in the first win in the series, he's even shaky about about the continued war with the Boston Celtics from the offensive perspective from the recent press conference..

I'm having similar thoughts. Yeah the Knicks, they are in the no 1 spot as of now....

Knicks are the 2 seed....

Well, seems the Knicks despite mainly melo providing the offense manages to squeak out a win with a big 4th quarter, at least they won't be swept.

Nets, well I didn't think they'd win that big, so kudos to them.

The Celtics actually made a game out of game 1 against the Knicks.... They (Celtics) still got problems if they have to rely on Jeff Green to score points.... I saw bits & pieces of it; kept LMAO at all the damn 3's J.R. Smith kept throwing up & bricking.... Reminded me of Starks....

Didn't see any of the Bulls/Nets game.... Whilst looking at the highlights/recap, I didn't think the Bulls would come out that flat in game 1; they made the Nets appear as dominant as the Heat has been all season.... This is going to be a short series if the Bulls play lackadaisical like that... Hell, the Bucks put up a better fight throughout the game against the Heat, than the Bulls did against the Nets....

Just got through watching this Thunder/Rockets blowout.... Didn't realize that the Rockets were this Harden centric.... Lin & Parsons are gonna have to step it up (may not matter anyway, with the way OKC shoots).... I may have gave them 1 game too many, this might be a sweep with all 4 games ending in blowout fashion.....

Knicks are the 2 seed....

Then there's a misprint on the stats in the Daily News I picked up. It said the Knicks was on top. I'll have to relook that newspaper when I get in to work in the morning, I think i still have it. I just saw the correct stats on NBA.com

I think you were looking up the Atlantic division instead of the overall listing. I don't see them listed as anything but 2nd.

Yep, he's referring to the division ranking.... They won their division, but they got the 2nd seed in the playoffs......

Anyway, did you catch any of the Nets game tonight? I caught the last half of the 4th quarter....

The clippers/grizzlies game is on right now on TNT, but I'm about to turn the channel....

I do hope the nets win, only so they force a game 6 or 7 and wear each other out. Knicks, well I figured this should be an easier series because Boston is missing one of their stars and they are older than the Knicks. So if the Knicks stay healthy (and hopefully smith gets only a fine or just a 1 game suspension), they should be fine.

Game's in OT right now.... Nets had this one in the bag & let the Bulls back in it (via a 14-0 run) late in the 4th....

I had turned it to the Rangers/Devils game b/c of it...

I turn it back... and see Deng missing a 3, and Noah w/ the put back to tie the game at 111.... smh...

Nets better win this one, for their sake....

If the nets lose, then it's over. Like last year with the Knicks, those close game losses, I just don't see any rebounding from that.

Edit: 3rd overtime now for the Nets. Smh

oh well.... Like I said earlier in this thread....

"The Nets do not wanna get into that "grind it out" type of a game that the Bulls play..."

If you ask me, I say the Nets got exposed in these 3 OT's.... I don't care how much of a "quiet superstar" he's 'posed to be, Joe Johnson is not a consistent go to guy.... and where Deron Williams was at in any of these OT's, I don't know.... The Bulls had ALL the momentum in EACH of these OT's.....

Now the Nets are down 3-1 after this 142-134 3OT loss

Well thank god the suspension for smith is just 1 game and it wasnt like years ago with the heat-knicks fight (van gundy hanging on for dear life one) where a few players were forced to sit out certain games instead of like everyone involved take their suspension at the same time. I think even if the knicks lose game 4, they will likely win by game 5 at home. But i will be pissed if they become the 2nd NY team to lose 4-3 to a boston team after having a 3-0 lead.

The league wanted Boston to win game 4; that's why I didn't watch it....

To suspend J.R. Smith a game for this bullshit is absurd....

Just woke up about 20 mins or so ago.... Saw the quick recap.... smh lmao @ those two missed FT's Carmelo had late in the game; shit was by design.....  Celtics were supposed to win in regulation....

I wouldn't be worried about the Knicks squandering the series though.... supposedly they were down by 20 & came back to tie it in the 4th quarter? Pathetic.....

Well so far if things goes accordingly i might be right with the 5 games prediction for the knicks and bulls.

Well one thing's for sure...  The knicks bench only scoring 7 points will not happen in game 5.

I don't think the Celtics defense (or shooting) will carry over to game 5 either.....

If the nets are gonna win tomorrow night, they're gonna have to win it in deciding fashion (a la game 1)....

Also (while it may be easier said than done), they gotta find a way to contain Nate......

Now that the Lakers have "gone fishing" have the fans and management finally given up on "Superman" Howard? I said earlier in this thread that I thought he was a counterfeit superstar at best and I think he proved my case this year. IMO he quit on his team in their last game against the Spurs. I've seen college and pro players get discouraged when things go south but I can't recall a professional athlete quitting on his team like Howard did.I've seen Wilt,Shaq, Kareem,Ewing, and many other big men get butchered in the paint and they never quit on their team. I think he deliberately got ejected from the game because he couldn't take the pressure. "Superman" my a**. Screamin' A Smith, whom I can't stand, called Howard a punk. What do you think?

Now that the Lakers have "gone fishing" have the fans and management finally given up on "Superman" Howard? I said earlier in this thread that I thought he was a counterfeit superstar at best and I think he proved my case this year. IMO he quit on his team in their last game against the Spurs. I've seen college and pro players get discouraged when things go south but I can't recall a professional athlete quitting on his team like Howard did.I've seen Wilt,Shaq, Kareem,Ewing, and many other big men get butchered in the paint and they never quit on their team. I think he deliberately got ejected from the game because he couldn't take the pressure. "Superman" my a**. Screamin' A Smith, whom I can't stand, called Howard a punk. What do you think?

I don't think I'll go as far as calling him a punk (although I don't like the guy)....

A part of me believes that Dwight is simply tired.... I don't mean fatigue-wise regarding any wear & tear on his body when I say that either....

I think he's flat out tired of the game in & of itself.... He plays like he's solely there to collect a check; like staying at a job/position that you can no longer stand b/c you know you gotta take care of your family & what not - That type of shit..... His demeanor/body language pretty much screams it....

Some of it (his half-heartedness) isn't Dwight's fault though.... The game has changed (IMO, for the worst).... I forget which sports media outlet said it (think it was the NBA on TNT crew), but in today's NBA, you can win a championship without having a solidified/quality "big" on your squad.... The example of the Mavericks championship run & the Heat's championship run were given as recent examples........ I have to agree w/ that assessment b/c big's are slowly becoming nothing more than role players... It's a possession league now (I think the term that was used, was); meaning that all you really need are slashers/penetrators & shooters.... I'm waiting for the NBA team that's gonna experiment with a starting lineup consisting of 4 guards & 1 big - whose lone responsibilities are to pull down rebounds, block shots & win tip-offs - like Joakim Noah (even though I like him as a person).

Scoring through your big man is a thing of the past.... Although he can't shoot to save his life, Dwight still wants to be that guy that you run an offense through..... For that, I can't fault him - because if I were a big in the NBA, I'd want to be the best two-way player I could be, and not just be bastardized to being the defensive presence that I am (or in his case, once was).....

B35 I think you've nailed it. The "center" position in today's game doesn't really exist any more, especially when you look at today's rosters. My late uncle and I kind of saw this back in Chicago's heyday. Jordan, Pippen, a bunch of 3 point shooters, and rebounders like Horace Grant, Rodman and the like. Funny part was that Bill Cartwright, the center, was a better scorer than Jordan or Pippen when he came out of college. I think the way Phil Jackson and Tex Winter designed the Bull's offense which they took to the Lakers pretty much minimized the role of the center position with the exception of Shaq. Today's offensive big men are called power forwards. Guys like Garnett or Duncan or Dirk or slashers like Durant. Chandler of the Knicks plays center but the offense flows elsewhere. Dwight doesn't have the skills to be a Dirk a Duncan, or a Garnett nor can he play the old school center position so he probably is frustrated. His best bet, IMO, is to hone up his offense this off-season and move elsewhere. It looked like the west coast forwards and guards were too quick for him this year. Unfortunately I think his talents are a better fit for the Eastern Conference which might cause problems for the Knicks down the road.

Wow I really thought the Knicks were going to sweep the Celtics. I had them as my championship team, but besides Jeff Green, that should have been an easy W. Sort of getting skeptical now, will be interesting to see how the playoffs play out.

I mean there's still time, but it's lookin like a game 6 is imminent, because the knicks are stinkin here in this 2nd half..... JR smith, a non factor... 0-10 so far.... Melo's bricking as well..... Ever since the celtics came back from an 11 point lead early on in the game, they've been gettin calls from the refs in this game like crazy..... Felton's the only one doing anything offensively..... Pierce is makin all his shots....

knicks can never seem to close opponents out early in the playoffs.....

Archived