MTA New York City Bus & MTA Bus Company Pending Bus Contracts

Chargerdodge9

Any news... Who will get the award of 600 standard bus.... No award yet.. I do not like 1996 RTS Nova Bus or anyone.. Waiting who get the award to built 600 bus... At least 1996 RTS Nova Bus will be gone... This is April. 

If there hasn't been any updates on here for weeks then obviously nothing has happened yet.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some updates

The 300 Express Bus order bidding has been complete, the announcement will be made during the summertime.
The 600 bus order bids are due on the 10th, announcements may be made during the summer/fall season.

Some updates

The 300 Express Bus order bidding has been complete, the announcement will be made during the summertime.

The 600 bus order bids are due on the 10th, announcements may be made during the summer/fall season.

One delay after another.

Not a delay, the bids are due on the 10th, the ANNOUNCEMENT of the winner(s) of the bid will be during the summer/fall season.

I know about the announcement. The bid deadline keeps getting moved back. Are they hoping someone who hasn't bid bids?

To test the models prior to a huge contract like this.

i.e Prevost's x3-45s, they've passed the BT&E, now they are qualified for the big orders.

I quite like those Prevost. Just wish the seats would be taller (and I'm not exactly tall...). Considering the split option, I could see them making Ulmer Park and Yukon all Prevost and giving the MCI part of it to other depots. Well that's what I'd like, anyways...

@Caitsith...

i know that man...just the two post above mine said it might be someone other than New Flyer or Nova because of competition...so i said, if thats the case then whats the point of them doing BT&E if they would give the Award to a random company

Cait pretty much explained it. The MTA wants to see if the bus, from whatever company it's build from, can meet the MTA's requirements. 

Another builder would only get 90 buses or so of the order to enter them into BT&E. The majority is still going to NFI/Nova.

Almost, a demonstration bus is required first. If a demo ever exceeds the expectations, they wouldn't really have to go through the 90 bus order and just shoot for the big one, but that's if said demonstration bus is THAT good. I don't see that happening though but nowadays, you never know.

@Caitsith...

i know that man...just the two post above mine said it might be someone other than New Flyer or Nova because of competition...so i said, if thats the case then whats the point of them doing BT&E if they would give the Award to a random company

See above.

Are we talking about the 600 bus order or 90 bus order?

Either one, it doesn't matter really.

I quite like those Prevost. Just wish the seats would be taller (and I'm not exactly tall...). Considering the split option, I could see them making Ulmer Park and Yukon all Prevost and giving the MCI part of it to other depots. Well that's what I'd like, anyways...

I agree, I'm short as hell and I find the Prevosts seats to be pretty low to the ground. I always shoot to the last row of seats at the rear to get better comfort and ride quality out of those buses.

Almost, a demonstration bus is required first. If a demo ever exceeds the expectations, they wouldn't really have to go through the 90 bus order and just shoot for the big one, but that's if said demonstration bus is THAT good. I don't see that happening though but nowadays, you never know.

Well there hasn't been any demonstrators except the Gillig BRT that was apparently in front of 2 Broadway fhat AFAIK never saw revenue service.

I honestly don't see the 90-bus test portion of this order still coming to fruition at this point. The RFP doesn't even show the possibility of a 600-90 split or anything like that, and the bid list still only has Vanhool and Millennium in addition to Nova and NF, so either the MTA is willing to buy more than 90 buses for BTE and a demonstrator silently came in from one of those guys (and possibly exceeded expectations) or this order will just go to NF/Nova/both.

Well there hasn't been any demonstrators except the Gillig BRT that was apparently in front of 2 Broadway fhat AFAIK never saw revenue service.

Demonstration buses on MTA property doesn't mean a thing, especially if it doesn't hit service. Going down the line... 0058 for the Xcelsiors, 0055 for the LFS, 0059 for the TheroKing HVAC spec on our new LFSAs, 0052 for the X3s. 0054 for the 1200s. All of which saw service. 0057 came and went, nothing. An Orion BRT bus came and went...nothing. The ECOCoach was at Etlingville, nothing yet...

And like the original documentation said time and time again, the 90 buses are only for grabs under a previous agreement. In layperson's terms, a manufacturer who already scored an order with the (MTA). That automatically rules Vanhool and Gillig out. Orion's dead so rule them out. It's between Nova and New Flyer on those buses. (In which you bought up too)

Could they actually give the bid to gillig?  also does this have a "buy american" provision?

If it doesn't it should.... I don't think this is an issue anyway because I believe both companies NOVA and New Flyer while Canadian have manufacturing facilities here in the US.  NOVA's is up in Plattsburgh (NY) and New Flyer has facilities in Minnesota.  If it were me, I would take it one step further and put a clause into those agreements stating that those buses must be manufactured in the state of New York, but even as much of a protectionist as I am, I'm happy with the jobs just being somewhere in the U.S. because in the end these companies' presence benefit numerous Americans in numerous states, but I think it's important to ensure that the (MTA) does as much as possible to strengthen the economy here in the New York region and of course in New York City.

Demonstration buses on MTA property doesn't mean a thing, especially if it doesn't hit service. Going down the line... 0058 for the Xcelsiors, 0055 for the LFS, 0059 for the TheroKing HVAC spec on our new LFSAs, 0052 for the X3s. 0054 for the 1200s. All of which saw service. 0057 came and went, nothing. An Orion BRT bus came and went...nothing. The ECOCoach was at Etlingville, nothing yet...

Lets not forget the New Flyer demos that failed the shaker test numerous times.

And like the original documentation said time and time again, the 90 buses are only for grabs under a previous agreement. In layperson's terms, a manufacturer who already scored an order with the (MTA). That automatically rules Vanhool and Gillig out. Orion's dead so rule them out. It's between Nova and New Flyer on those buses. (In which you bought up too)

So what would be the 90 buses then? More BT&Es for Nova/NF in addition to what we got now?

I'm a little confused, ENY even said it was going to shock us all...

So what would be the 90 buses then? More BT&Es for Nova/NF in addition to what we got now?

We should wait and see what happens. 

Not anymore....

I'm just going to leave it at that. :)

Could they actually give the bid to gillig?  also does this have a "buy american" provision?

Let me just go and say that Gillig is just barely filling their current orders as it is. How would the be able to meet the MTA's workload.

Also ...

If it doesn't it should.... I don't think this is an issue anyway because I believe both companies NOVA and New Flyer while Canadian have manufacturing facilities here in the US.  NOVA's is up in Plattsburgh (NY) and New Flyer has facilities in Minnesota.  If it were me, I would take it one step further and put a clause into those agreements stating that those buses must be manufactured in the state of New York, but even as much of a protectionist as I am, I'm happy with the jobs just being somewhere in the U.S. because in the end these companies' presence benefit numerous Americans in numerous states, but I think it's important to ensure that the (MTA) does as much as possible to strengthen the economy here in the New York region and of course in New York City.

Alright, want to support NY? Have fun riding tolerating Nova LFS's and Prevost X3-45's for the next 15 years. :lol:

Let me just go and say that Gillig is just barely filling their current orders as it is. How would the be able to meet the MTA's workload.

Also ...

Alright, want to support NY? Have fun riding tolerating Nova LFS's and Prevost X3-45's for the next 15 years. :lol:

Those Prevost X3-45 are pretty damn nice to ride. Seats are a bit too short, but otherwise they're excellent.

Archived