MTA New York City Bus & MTA Bus Company Pending Bus Contracts

Chargerdodge9

A delay is not that serious. I think we can wait.

We can. Some of the older RTS and Orion Vs might not be as obliging.

On the bright side, longer they wait, more time to get DD11 engine EPA-certified; and Cummins to get their latest urban bus offerings EPA 2013 certified. I'd bet the MTA is waiting for that DD11 engine, and why not? Gets 299 horsepower and 885 lb ft of torque out of a 7.7 liter straight-6. Good deal.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some company asked in both bids about reducing the performance bond from 10% to 5%.  Not hard to guess that this is likely coming from someone who is getting started (or restarted) and not one of the big manufacturers that is already well established in North America.

Thus why it's called a "Restyled version".

That's my point - why would the LFR fail a shaker test if it's the same body structure as the LF?  Doesn't make sense.

Some company asked in both bids about reducing the performance bond from 10% to 5%.  Not hard to guess that this is likely coming from someone who is getting started (or restarted) and not one of the big manufacturers that is already well established in North America.

That's my point - why would the LFR fail a shaker test if it's the same body structure as the LF?  Doesn't make sense.

If it's both bids, then wouldn't it be the company that is in both bids? I thought there was a list of current bidders either here or somewhere on BusChat.

EDIT: Well, that would be Volvo or DesignLine then. For Volvo: Nova for the 600 standard and Prevost for the 285 express. And then DesignLine does both low-floors and coaches. Between those two, DesignLine is the less-established one.

With that said, it's a possibility the reason as to why the LFR didn't pass was due to the new caps. The problem could have lied in how those components were manufactured or otherwise attached.

With that said, it's a possibility the reason as to why the LFR didn't pass was due to the new caps. The problem could have lied in how those components were manufactured or otherwise attached.

Basically. When the original was designed, its structural integrity was intact. Even a slight change in the frames ends will cause a weight and stress differential that can cause its original performance to decrease. A whole redesign of the entire frame may be in order. 

quote]

Smells like DesignLine

quote]

Smells like DesignLine

Honestly, this order is for 40 foot local buses, and unless Designline is willing to build a clean diesel bus I don't see them being the "mystery bidder".

ame="theaveragejoe" post="652320" timestamp="1362237944"]

Honestly, this order is for 40 foot local buses, and unless Designline is willing to build a clean diesel bus I don't see them being the "mystery bidder".

Well it's either them or Volvo with Nova and Prevost.

It's apparently a company doing both bids, so it's likely one of those two. I'm just basing this on the list of bidders I saw on BusChat. Maybe 123/VanHool is also now bidding on both contracts, so that would be a third possibility.

But I'd agree with averagejoe, probably DesignLine.

Well it's either them or Volvo with Nova and Prevost.

It's apparently a company doing both bids, so it's likely one of those two. I'm just basing this on the list of bidders I saw on BusChat. Maybe 123/VanHool is also now bidding on both contracts, so that would be a third possibility.

But I'd agree with averagejoe, probably DesignLine.

New Flyer has gotta be bidding on the big order...

ame="theaveragejoe" post="652320" timestamp="1362237944"]

Designline is bidding the express order only.

They would only get a maximum 90 buses of that order then for BT&E. The rest would be going to Prevost and/or MCI.

And/or is right. Express buses proposal: All 300 or a 120/180 split. Standard buses proposal: All 690 or 414/276 or 207/483 split. If plans are kept.

They would only get a maximum 90 buses of that order then for BT&E. The rest would be going to Prevost and/or MCI.

And/or is right. Express buses proposal: All 300 or a 120/180 split. Standard buses proposal: All 690 or 414/276 or 207/483 split. If plans are kept.

Just link the document where you got the information for better record keeping and a source of the info:

Express: http://www.mta.info/nyct/procure/addenda/46278add1.pdf

Transit: http://www.mta.info/nyct/procure/addenda/45375add1.pdf

Basically. When the original was designed, its structural integrity was intact. Even a slight change in the frames ends will cause a weight and stress differential that can cause its original performance to decrease. A whole redesign of the entire frame may be in order. 

Which to NFI was the Xcelsior.

Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Just link the document where you got the information for better record keeping and a source of the info:

Express: http://www.mta.info/nyct/procure/addenda/46278add1.pdf

Transit: http://www.mta.info/nyct/procure/addenda/45375add1.pdf

Notice the difference in date....

Isn't the LFR pretty much just an LF with new front and rear end caps?

For the most part yes. However there were some other minor structural changes which would have required the model to be qualified by the MTA. Thus, we are currently taking delivery of a discontinued model.... At one time LFR's were supposed to enter the NBQP, however with LF's coming in, and Xcelsiors succeeding the LF/LFR, only common sense would be to order Xcelsior artics....

• 3 weeks later...

Any news... Who will get the award of 600 standard bus.... No award yet.. I do not like 1996 RTS Nova Bus or anyone.. Waiting who get the award to built 600 bus... At least 1996 RTS Nova Bus will be gone... This is April. 

No. You'll know when it gets awarded.

Archived