R62As returning to the 6 - why so much backlash?

RPTA

Yes, I rarely post here since I don't live in NYC, however, looking through these forums, there seems to be a lot of backlash regarding the R62As returning to the (6). Fact is, the (6) is the most obvious candidate for the R62As. Prior to the arrival of the R142As, the (6) was using some R62As (alongside some R29 and R36 Redbird trains), and served the route just fine.

It seems that many of these people are trying to push the R62As onto the (2). That will not work since the (2) and (5) swap cars very frequently, and all of those rollsigns cannot be changed quickly enough to keep a good schedule.

For comparison, the (3) was originally supposed to get R142/R142As, yet there wasn't any backlash when the MTA decided to assign the R142/R142As to the (4) and move the (4)'s R62s to the (3). Why is there such backlash with assigning the R62As to the (6)? It isn't like the (6) is a better line than the (2).

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was all covered heavily in the r188 thread. To sum it up. There is no backlash over it from most of us. I believe some people were overhyping the potential outrage from the UES riders being given the older cars and losing the r142as. A train is just a train, if it gets you from a to b with decent climate control, then be happy with it.

This was all covered heavily in the r188 thread. To sum it up. There is no backlash over it from most of us. I believe some people were overhyping the potential outrage from the UES riders being given the older cars and losing the r142as. A train is just a train, if it gets you from a to b with decent climate control, then be happy with it.

And prior to the R142As arriving, the 6 wasn't even all R62As; there were R29s and R36s operating on the line as well, and the UES riders didn't complain about them. The only lines that did not have any Redbirds were the 1, 3, and 9.

Okay first of all, the (7)'s R62As haven't even been sent back to the IRT mainline yet. So why did you made this thread? Who cares where the R62A trains from the (7) go? The R188s are still testing and most of the cars haven't even been delivered. It's still going to be a whole while before the R188s come into service. Either the (4) or (6) will get them or possibly the (3) or they just have both the (4) and (6) being a mixed fleet of R62As and R142/142As. Who knows, its up to the (MTA), depending on how they shift the assignments.

More over, NOTHING was confirmed other than the very, very plain damn fact that the R142As from the (6) will be converted into R188s and run them all on the (7), automating the IRT Flushing Line and giving its R62As to the IRT Lexington Avenue Line. That's all. They didn't say nothing else about which line will get them. So until then of course, guess all you want............ <_<

No.

Us UES riders will get pissed off. We have nice, modern subway cars with audible announcements. We don't want to go back in time and get those old subway cars.

Fulton St/8th Av riders have 50 year old trains and I see a lot less complaints from them.

I don't understand why transit riders think they're royalty. Take a cab if "old" trains bother you that much.

No.

Us UES riders will get pissed off. We have nice, modern subway cars with audible announcements. We don't want to go back in time and get those old subway cars.

It's too early to tell if they will go on the (6) or not. If R62As do go on the (6) well all I can tell you is too bad.

Would you UES riders be okay with paying a premium fare (like a $3.50 swipe?) in order to keep the newest cars there?

No.

It's a freaking subway car... you guys up there in your posh apartments and your fancy jobs need to come back to reality and realize two things:

1. You aren't getting Rebirds, you're getting R62A's, which have AUDIBLE announcements.

2. It's a subway car. If you don't like it, find another way to get to work. Thank you.

It's a freaking subway car... you guys up there in your posh apartments and your fancy jobs need to come back to reality and realize two things:

1. You aren't getting Rebirds, you're getting R62A's, which have AUDIBLE announcements.

2. It's a subway car. If you don't like it, find another way to get to work. Thank you.

1. I've ridden the (1)(3) many times and I can say that I can only understand what they're saying less than 50% of the time

2. I don't want to take the subway. The MTA cut our non-subway way to get to work, so now we have to use it.

Well, too bad if it's not up to your standards. The MTA doesn't cater to everyone's wish list. Be happy they even run trains as frequently as they do. I only wished my (2) train was as frequent as the (6) is.

The point is the (4) and/or (6) are the most likely lines to get back the R62As since they are the only lines running the R142As that the (7) is going to get.

Well, too bad if it's not up to your standards. The MTA doesn't cater to everyone's wish list. Be happy they even run trains as frequently as they do. I only wished my (2) train was as frequent as the (6) is.

The point is the (4) and/or (6) are the most likely lines to get back the R62As since they are the only lines running the R142As that the (7) is going to get.

Be glad that they run trains as frequently as they do? Have you ever seen how crowded the platforms for the (4)(5)(6) get during rush hour? And 10 minute headways on weekends are a joke; sometimes it can get just as crowded as rush hour then.

R142As from the (6) you mean.

Be glad that they run trains as frequently as they do? Have you ever seen how crowded the platforms for the (4)(5)(6) get during rush hour? And 10 minute headways on weekends are a joke; sometimes it can get just as crowded as rush hour then.

The IRT mainline except the (3) and the (S) 42nd Street Shuttle are busier and more demanding than the (7). But we do have to understand that both the (7) and (L) are very special lines due to their isolation though...

That makes perfect sense to me.

R142As from the (6) you mean.

I meant the fleet in general. You don't need to correct me.

yes, I lived there for several years before leaving after 2005. Do you know how bad the (2) is when waiting at Franklin av for the rush hours? It is pretty crowded as well. The train that serves it doesn't make a difference if service is bad.

That's the neighborhood whose residents think they are entitled to newer trains just because they have more money than any other NYC neighborhood....which bears the question - why aren't you all taking limos???

Hey well if you believe Devil's Advocate even the devil uses the new york city subways.

No.

Too bad.You got no choice.You'll just have to deal with it.You went through it during the 90's and early 2000's,it shouldn't be hard to return back to how it once was.Those trains on the 7 now HAVE to go somewhere and unfortuantely,the 6 is the only line that makes sense to send them to.

Archived