R62As returning to the 6 - why so much backlash?

RPTA

Anyway the cookie crumbles, Lex will see the R62A's.

If they go to the (2) (which shares with the (5))

If they go to the (4).

If they go to the (5).

Or if the go to the (6).

And Gorgor, I highly doubt you'd be fighting if it was the other way around (the (6) getting NTT's from the (7)).

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, since when is he a railfan? Last time I saw, he doesn't go around "foaming"

So being a railfan makes you a foamer? Another ignorant generalization.

We need to face here that he is​ an average rider who can tell the difference between an R62 and a R142.

And the average rider shouldn't give a crap as to which train is which but be glad that they have quality cars to transport them from here to there.

One more thing, I feel as if you guys are only saying the R62's to the (6) because it's what those "rich UES'ers deserve".

And you make it sound as if Lex getting 62As is a horrible punishment. :rolleyes:

As far as I know, when the R32's swapped to the (A), people didn't complain... so why should they...

And when did ANYONE say that? Don't try to make them sound better than they are being...

Stop twisting our words to better your argument. It makes you look bad.

What the richie riches on the Upper East Side are going to complain that an already molded NTT is going bye bye?

Give me a f*cking break.

If they don't like it, like someone on here, take a damn bus or drive around in your own private limos. Bastards

And also, quite a few (A) riders use the (C) aswell, so it was neutral, not to mention as I said, it was going to go back in a month or two. We're talking about something that will affect (6) riders (Not just UES riders) for the next 15 years.

Anyway the cookie crumbles, Lex will see the R62A's.

If they go to the (2) (which shares with the (5))

If they go to the (4).

If they go to the (5).

Or if the go to the (6).

And Gorgor, I highly doubt you'd be fighting if it was the other way around (the (6) getting NTT's from the (7)).

He's not against the (7) getting NTT's at all.

So being a railfan makes you a foamer? Another ignorant generalization.

In a way, it does. Not in a bad way. There are good types of foam. I'm just saying, he wasn't excited for the (F) to Lefferts, unlike most of us here.

And the average rider shouldn't give a crap as to which train is which but be glad that they have quality cars to transport them from here to there.

And you make it sound as if Lex getting 62As is a horrible punishment. :rolleyes:

Well, that's not my intention. I apologize for making it sound that way, but i'm just saying that's what it sound like on here.

You didn't read what I said... I never said he was against it.

I was posing that if the scenario was flipped and the (7) was giving NTT's to the (6), then he wouldn't be complaining... stop changing my words.

Just a question for CDTA and Gorgor (and anyone else who wants to answer): what do you want them to do? They can't, nor should they, order a couple hundred new cars simply to appease people who will likely lose their newer trains in the coming years. They also can't wait until the mid-2020s to implement Flushing CBTC. So, like I said before, riders of whichever line gets the displaced trains will have to suck it up and deal with it. By they way, it seems like some of you are confusing the word "older" with "decrepit". Let me spell it out for you: the 62s are not the 42s.

And also, quite a few (A) riders use the (C) aswell, so it was neutral, not to mention as I said, it was going to go back in a month or two. We're talking about something that will affect (6) riders (Not just UES riders) for the next 15 years.

What about riders in the Rockaways or Inwood who only have the (A)?

They also might be out of the loop, so they wouldn't known when the cars would go back to their home routes, if at all.

In theory, he could be, because the (7) getting NTTs mean the (4) / (6) will get OTTs.

In a way, it does. Not in a bad way. There are good types of foam. I'm just saying, he wasn't excited for the (F) to Lefferts, unlike most of us here.

What types of foam are good?

This thread just became a repeat of the P Train thread except this time it involves the (6). Wouldn't it be funny in a few years down the road if none of the R62As go to the (6) at all despite the fact it's been stated time after time we have no clue where they could be going?

Gorgor and CDTA, the R62As returning to the Lex has nothing to do with whatever the Upper East Side is (Sorry if that's not what you were saying). I know how you feel and how I hate this R62A/142A swap between Flushing and Lexington Avenue, but there's nothing we can do.

The (4)(5)(6) may be all R142/142As but one of them are still going to recieve Corona's old equipment in exchange. It's the (MTA) and they've wanted to make Flushing 100% CBTC. I may not like the R62s or R62As coming back to my line but as long as its a reliable car with cool HVAC system, high MDBF, still on its legs, and has good interiors, I'm happy as well. Threxx and ttcsubwayfan as well as many others do have a point. These cars as well as the R32s and all the NTTs were never lemons. Yes, trains get plauged with problems in their older age past 40 or 44 years. But the R62/62As aren't even that old as they still have about 20 more years left. All the current NTTs and some of the SMEEs are still preforming well. REGARDLESS of the announcements, some of current SMEEs (R62/62As and R68/68As) are doing fine. As long as the breakdown rates are not higher badly with no malfunctional issues, I'm fine.

All in all, everybody here (myself included) just gotta chill. As long as you live in the city and know which stop you get off at, it shouldn't be that big of a deal when riding the older trains.

You know as former rider of the Lex for 6 years i found the R142s NTT features to be quite useful during crush loads as always was the case at rush hour. With the windows obscured by people and announcements talked over by the typical crazy nut or beggar,often the only cue that you reached your destination was the flashing of the strip map light and the LED display. Just saying it does make a difference to all those saying "i dont care what train car it is. im tough".

This thread just became a repeat of the P Train thread except this time it involves the (6). Wouldn't it be funny in a few years down the road if none of the R62As go to the (6) at all despite the fact it's been stated time after time we have no clue where they could be going?

Tell me about it.....

Just a question for CDTA and Gorgor (and anyone else who wants to answer): what do you want them to do? They can't, nor should they, order a couple hundred new cars simply to appease people who will likely lose their newer trains in the coming years. They also can't wait until the mid-2020s to implement Flushing CBTC. So, like I said before, riders of whichever line gets the displaced trains will have to suck it up and deal with it. By they way, it seems like some of you are confusing the word "older" with "decrepit". Let me spell it out for you: the 62s are not the 42s.

The thread name is why there is so much backlash. I'm not saying that the (6) can't get the 62's, i'm just saying why people are objecting. Also, not once have the 62's been compared with the 42's. It's just a matter of OTT v.s. NTT, which, let's face it, have quite a few differences.

You didn't read what I said... I never said he was against it.

I was posing that if the scenario was flipped and the (7) was giving NTT's to the (6), then he wouldn't be complaining... stop changing my words.

Well, DUH. Nobody will actually complain about their line getting NTT's. The thing is, just because he so happens to live in UES, and he's complaning it's different than somebody who lived in Parkchester and were to complain.

What about riders in the Rockaways or Inwood who only have the (A)?

They also might be out of the loop, so they wouldn't known when the cars would go back to their home routes, if at all.

But the (A) was still half R46's, and me and a few others on this forum almost never got an R32 (A). I'm sure the same has happened to a few other non -forum members aswell.

In theory, he could be, because the (7) getting NTTs mean the (4) / (6) will get OTTs.

No, he said himself, he doesns't mind the (7) getting NTT's even if the (6) were to get 62's.

What types of foam are good?

Many types. An example was in my previous post.

That's like saying that the average person can't tell the difference between a yellow cab and a livery cab...

The average person can easily tell the difference between an R62A and an R142. Whether they care which type of train they take is a different story however. The new trains just physically look so much different inside and out, and they definitely notice whether or not the train has automated announcements.

Exactly... We're talking about New Yorkers and even folks that drive generally still use public transit at least sometimes. Most folks use the subway every day and it is indeed very clear when there is a new train and an old train.

Well, DUH. Nobody will actually complain about their line getting NTT's. The thing is, just because he so happens to live in UES, and he's complaning it's different than somebody who lived in Parkchester and were to complain.

If someone in Parkchester were to complain we'd say the same thing. This has nothing to do with the UES, but it is more mind boggling with them when they have alternatives.

If someone in Parkchester were to complain we'd say the same thing. This has nothing to do with the UES, but it is more mind boggling with them when they have alternatives.

Would you still tell them to get into their "fancy limos" or to take a cab instead? No. What alternatives? Please tell me. Remember the X90 got cut, so that's out of the question.

I don't see why with all of the subway cars they're ordering now they can't order a few more. I have to be honest. You don't put new cars on a subway line and then send over hand me downs. It's like an insult. The idea is that the cars are supposed to get better not worse. I mean really you're trying to act as if you wouldn't be annoyed if you were given a new car which drove better, had better leg room and so on and then that same person turned around and said, Oh sorry you've got to take this junker of a car. I think people on that line should be upset, regardless to what neighborhood they live in (I don't know why this keeps being brought up since it is immaterial to the conversation at hand). If they can't keep new cars on certain lines then don't bother at all. Yes, I know it's public transit but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't have any expectations in terms of service (meaning quality), and the type of cars we ride in. It's not like the (MTA) buys these cars with their own money. Whether they get it from their budget, the government or wherever, it still comes back to the taxpayer paying for it one way or another, so yes folks should be pissed off.

I find those cars to be darker, the AC sucks and the announcements are impossible to hear... Whether it's a stop or an important announcement, you can't hear it either way for the most part.

Yeah right... I'm sure some excuse would be made as to why they can complain...

I don't see why with all of the subway cars they're ordering now they can't order a few more. I have to be honest. You don't put new cars on a subway line and then send over hand me downs. It's like an insult. The idea is that the cars are supposed to get better not worse. I mean really you're trying to act as if you wouldn't be annoyed if you were given a new car which drove better, had better leg room and so on and then that same person turned around and said, Oh sorry you've got to take this junker of a car. I think people on that line should be upset, regardless to what neighborhood they live in (I don't know why this keeps being brought up since it is immaterial to the conversation at hand). If they can't keep new cars on certain lines then don't bother at all. Yes, I know it's public transit but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't have any expectations in terms of service (meaning quality), and the type of cars we ride in. It's not like the (MTA) buys these cars with their own money. Whether they get it from their budget, the government or wherever, it still comes back to the taxpayer paying for it one way or another, so yes folks should be pissed off.

I find those cars to be darker, the AC sucks and the announcements are impossible to hear... Whether it's a stop or an important announcement, you can't hear it either way for the most part.

Yeah right... I'm sure some excuse would be made as to why they can complain...

The damn cars are in their 20s. Your acting like we have redbirds running still. Oh and do you have the money to get new subway cars? If you do shoot send the money to the MTA.

The damn cars are in their 20s. Your acting like we have redbirds running still. Oh and do you have the money to get new subway cars? If you do shoot send the money to the MTA.

In this day and age, they might as well be redbirds and if they're going to do a huge overhaul of those cars, might as well just get new ones. They were smart enough to realize that when they were going to spend money upgrading the sensors on the redbirds and just gave up and got new cars...

You guys need to keep in mind that ANY community wouldn't like getting downgraded. You guys act like because he lives in UES he's an elitist or something. Also, since when is he a railfan? Last time I saw, he doesn't go around "foaming" and generally stays out of the What If? thread. We need to face here that he is​ an average rider who can tell the difference between an R62 and a R142.

One more thing, I feel as if you guys are only saying the R62's to the (6) because it's what those "rich UES'ers deserve".

What a horrible generalized statement you just made about railfans... Not all railfans are foamers, most are normal people who just like trains. No one is saying "rich UES'ers deserve R62s", people are just complaining about it. I mean if they don't like the fact that these may go back to the (6) they can use other modes of transportation right? I mean coming off like they are so wealthy. I mean you could take a cab or something better if you are as rich as you say you are, you don't HAVE to take the subway if you don't like what is on it.

Also, what is the big deal with automated announcements? Like okay, they are cool, but if you are a REGULAR rider on a certain line, you SHOULD know the stop order already and where you are getting off.... And on top of that, the (6) stops are NOT hard to remember at all. About downgrades, I mean if a car like the R62s came to the (E) (not possible, but I'm using this as an example) I wouldn't be mad and I think most people wouldn't either. Some people think that they are more entitled than others and that is the problem.

One more note, I don't think the R62s are shitty cars at all. I think they run good and you know what? I ride the (7) EVERYDAY so I WOULD KNOW. Thank you.

What a horrible generalized statement you just made about railfans... Not all railfans are foamers, most are normal people who just like trains. No one is saying "rich UES'ers deserve R62s", people are just complaining about it. I mean if they don't like the fact that these may go back to the (6) they can use other modes of transportation right? I mean coming off like they are so wealthy. I mean you could take a cab or something better if you are as rich as you say you are, you don't HAVE to take the subway if you don't like what is on it.

As I said in my previous post, there are good types of foam. I'm not saying all railfanners are like the excited train guy. And yes, as I said, someone said that exactly. And also as I said, not all UES'ers have money coming out of their ass.

Hell, Daniel on the last page said "Everybody foams over something".

I've finally read the whole thread and all i can say is "WOW!" This is one of the craziest threads I've read in a while on this site. Here's my 2 cents.

The R62/A's and the 142/A

Now it's obvious what's new and what's old the question is are both trains any good? To me, the answer is yes. They get the job done on the lines that they are running on and if they have to switch lines, then they will get the job done on that other line. Is switching the 142A's from the (6) to the (7) a downgrade? You bet your ass it is and anyone who doesn't think that is smoking crack! LOL But that would be true for any line that switches from 142's to 62's because the 62's are older BUT does that mean that they will mess up the line any? I don't think it will but we have to see it happen first. It also depends on the maintenance of the trains but that's another topic. One thing's for sure, the 142A's will go to the (7) and become 188's sooner or later and Lexington Ave will see 62A's on one or maybe more of those lines and we have to accept the fact that changes will be happening in the next few years. Whatever happens, we'll be alright. You either deal with it or you don't. Simple as that

The UES issue

Now the UES is definately known for being snobby and being high maintenance but in this issue, we really don't know how the area is going to take the news. The only ones who really know what's happening is Transit workers (and some of them don't know) and transit buffs who follow this stuff. The residents of the UES might surprise you and not give a damn but it could be folks in Harlem or the South Bronx or Pelham that raise holy hell over it. It more than likely won't change anything but noise might be made.

What kinda bothers me in this debate is seeing that people who have responded in this topic are mad at those who are against the 62A's coming back to the Lex line. The issues made from those who live by the (6) and why they wouldn't want the 62A's back on that line are legitimate and shouldn't be tossed out. There are great things on that train that make the (6) easier to use and it makes sense that people wouldn't want to lose that. The whole "suck it up" thing is just as arrogant as someone not wanting to ride on a 62A because the overhead bars are nasty or whatever reason. The only people who seem to want the trains back on the (6) the most are buffs that more than likely don't ride the (6) on a regular basis but want to go over there just to snap a pic of the train and say "Oooooo guess what I found?" lol.

In the end, a train is a train and we will live no matter what comes down Flushing and Lexington Ave.

The only people who seem to want the trains back on the (6) the most are buffs that more than likely don't ride the (6) on a regular basis but want to go over there just to snap a pic of the train and say "Oooooo guess what I found?" lol.

This really made me laugh. :lol::D

In this day and age, they might as well be redbirds and if they're going to do a huge overhaul of those cars, might as well just get new ones. They were smart enough to realize that when they were going to spend money upgrading the sensors on the redbirds and just gave up and got new cars...

The Redbirds were retired because they were not only old, but deteriorating, which was caused by the acid bath they got in the 1980s to remove graffiti from the cars. There is really no limit to how long a train can last in service, but when a fleet of cars develops problems like deteriorating bodies, rust or corrosion issues, or parts becoming hard to find to maintain them that is when they have to be removed from service.

They also didn't have enough money for more R62/62As so they rebuilt the R26-36 cars. As for whether many think the rebuild was a success that's up to them, but at least they didn't have graffiti trains running.

One more thing to point out. Comparing the R62As to the Redbirds is a bit presumptuous when your basically comparing a fleet of stainless steel cars versus a fleet of carbon steel cars. Essentially apples and oranges.

The Redbirds were retired because they were not only old, but deteriorating, which was caused by the acid bath they got in the 1980s to remove graffiti from the cars. There is really no limit to how long a train can last in service, but when a fleet of cars develops problems like deteriorating bodies, rust or corrosion issues, or parts becoming hard to find to maintain them that is when they have to be removed from service.

They also didn't have enough money for more R62/62As so they rebuilt the R26-36 cars. As for whether many think the rebuild was a success that's up to them, but at least they didn't have graffiti trains running.

One more thing to point out. Comparing the R62As to the Redbirds is a bit presumptuous when your basically comparing a fleet of stainless steel cars versus a fleet of carbon steel cars. Essentially apples and oranges.

Actually if you read between the lines there, there was a hint of sarcasm in my post... My point was that in this day and age the (MTA) should be getting as many new trains with automated announcements and other technological features as possible. We're in 2012 now and soon to be in 2013. The (MTA) is very far behind in terms of upgrading the system in general and they should be looking to upgrade as much as possible when possible. Yes, I realize they're in a fiscal bind right now, but this is an investment for the future. Putting older cars on a line that has newer cars is simply not the answer... Older equipment usually means more break downs, and less reliable service amongst other things. They should be looking to see if they can add to the current orders they have and get a break on pricing. With the economy being in the tank I'm sure the companies building the trains would be willing to work with them to get the extra business.

I'm looking at this from a service perspective and from the perspective of the average customer outside of this forum in terms of quality service, not some foamer who doesn't want to see outdated trains go bye bye.

Archived