The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

Ran into one of the new A division school car classes today at 240 yard with TSS Taylor and another tss. Feels good to know me and my class now have some senority..lol!! If anyone on here is in that class, if Taylor is your regular TSS you'll be good!! He's very intelligent and knows literally everything about trains. We had him for a week when one of our tss's was on vaca. I love my tss's, wouldnt trade them for anything!

Practicing more cuts and adds/preparing for yard movement tomorrow....first yard practical on Monday!!!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A div yard practical today. I did well, missed one thing but caught it in time. Most if the class did well. Joyride on the 142 tomorrow.

Congrats on passing. Ours is next Friday. Our TSSs have us doing the practical every day to prep us.

I am a posting C/R on the L line later this afternoon. It is suppose to be my last post job before the final. Then we have our road exam. Then we should be done. I put in a few bids today hoping to catch someone sleeping and actually get a job out of school car. lol Hey you never know. The conductors I have had posting basically let me run the trains which became very boring. No conversation about the train even when I intiated it. I got what I got out of it.

Edited by nobleone

The TSS are good peoples yes, folks like them yes,Folks love them yes...

Now that being said dont think for a second they wont fail anyone who cant cut it!

Because they will! One of my Classmates is a TSS in the A Div Schoolcar, i know a few of them who are teaching the New T/O's. All good people but the company line will be followed if need be.

I can't tell if these TSS's each and every one of them are incredibly remarkable or these tasks are insanely mundane. Seems like everyone loves their TSS.

The praise is genuine. They are good at what they do. They take know-nothings off the street, and within a few months, the same know-nothings are (mostly) able to operate a train smoothly and safely (hopefully).

Today we did cuts and adds on the R32s. My TSSs helped me finesse my cutting technique; I was having issues using the bypass to perform the cut. I went from rowing the boat to less than a foot.

The praise is genuine. They are good at what they do. They take know-nothings off the street, and within a few months, the same know-nothings are (mostly) able to operate a train smoothly and safely (hopefully).

Today we did cuts and adds on the R32s. My TSSs helped me finesse my cutting technique; I was having issues using the bypass to perform the cut. I went from rowing the boat to less than a foot.

The TSS are good peoples yes, folks like them yes,Folks love them yes...

Now that being said dont think for a second they wont fail anyone who cant cut it!

Because they will! One of my Classmates is a TSS in the A Div Schoolcar, i know a few of them who are teaching the New T/O's. All good people but the company line will be followed if need be.

O I firmly believe and trust these opinions as actual fact almost. Transit doesn't look to be effing around much with screw-ups from my point of view. It's just that everywhere I go I'm constantly bumping into people that don't know what they are supposed to know, people that don't take their work seriously or proudly, people that waste time, people that quickly brush you aside.. etc. Whether it's behind a desk, at a store or over the phone service has slowly declined with no end in sight and this is supposed to be a service economy. So as you can see I'm just not used to it.

I had the same thing happen to me on the L the other day, TSS never seen me before, acting all cocky when he handed me the clipboard thinking the proby that was highlighted was me, asked me if I was new, and if I ever worked the line before, as soon as I finished telling him this was my picked job all of a sudden he was all smiles and "how are you today?" Yeah ok......

Edited by Dan05979

Its funny in school car everyone loves their TSS but when you hit the road things change.

Yes because some of them are on a power trip and when they see probationary the start acting like fools.

I find it funny how every time I run into a B-Div TSS who doesn't recognize me, they get this "fresh meat!" look on their face and the moment I tell them I just transferred from A-Div, they quickly back away.

I had the same thing happen to me on the L the other day, TSS never seen me before, acting all cocky when he handed me the clipboard thinking the proby that was highlighted was me, asked me if I was new, and if I ever worked the line before, as soon as I finished telling him this was my picked job all of a sudden he was all smiles and "how are you today?" Yeah ok......

Ok, now this is starting to sounds a bit more normal.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Dan05979" data-cid="630712" data-time="1357804668"><p>

Yes because some of them are on a power trip and when they see probationary the start acting like fools.</p></blockquote>

When a probationary or unknown employee is on the line they must be critqued and Evaluated. I know school car the TSS are suppose to teach and motivate new students. On the road its different our job is more like law and order because when you see me you should know your job the only thing you need from me is Line fertilization. I point out the employees errors and hope they learn from there mistakes before a bad habit causes an incident.

Edited by Pelham Bay Dave

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Dan05979" data-cid="630712" data-time="1357804668"><p>

Yes because some of them are on a power trip and when they see probationary the start acting like fools.</p></blockquote>

When a probationary or unknown employee is on the line they must be critqued and Evaluated. I know school car the TSS are suppose to teach and motivate new students. On the road its different our job is more like law and order because when you see me you should know your job the only thing you need from me is Line fertilization. I point out the employees errors and hope they learn from there mistakes before a bad habit causes an incident.

You say "must be critiqued"? These days that word is mostly used in a negative sense. People are going to think you are looking to detrimentally review or analyze them regardless of the quality of their performance.