The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

We did further dissection of the R68 and R68A; we learned about the circuitry. And we did other-than-front-end-train-operation. I'm pleased to report everyone still had clean underwear afterwards.

Baby steps you must crawl before you can walk! :)

I had the "fun" of doing other than head in on the Mainline when the 1st two cars of my train just like died..

Lots of fun it was!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baby steps you must crawl before you can walk! :)

I had the "fun" of doing other than head in on the Mainline when the 1st two cars of my train just like died..

Lots of fun it was!

I did it about 5 times as a road M/M and it can be nerve-wracking depending on the personnel you have with you on the move. Depending on the supervision on the scene I usually made the call on who would be the eyes and ears up front and control of the brakes and who would control the motive power. That was then but I believe the RCC makes that call these days. Remember that earlier in my career C/Rs were qualified to read the signals and help out but, with all due respect, when I left 2 years ago there were only a few RTO personnel in any title that I would trust 100% in that move.

I did it about 5 times as a road M/M and it can be nerve-wracking depending on the personnel you have with you on the move. Depending on the supervision on the scene I usually made the call on who would be the eyes and ears up front and control of the brakes and who would control the motive power. That was then but I believe the RCC makes that call these days. Remember that earlier in my career C/Rs were qualified to read the signals and help out but, with all due respect, when I left 2 years ago there were only a few RTO personnel in any title that I would trust 100% in that move.

Well for some "reason" They couldn't find a TSS if their lives was at stake.

So i had to 1st Wrong rail the train back into the station from the South End..

Get the People off the train, then ISO, pull angels lock and retrieve (oh joy)..

Then have my C/R Flag me on the radio while i took power from the third car(It was a Slant R40).

We forgot to go to Yard and was on B2 for the whole move we had to go through two other stations. I have to say they was impressed, me i was nervous as heck...

Im a little curious about something. If there is only one hand thrown switch yard in the entire system, why do we who are in training for the A division have to learn about them?? I dont mind, im just wondering why I'd have to learn 'em if I'm probably never going to encounter them in my division??

Today was the best day I've had in schoolcar so far. I got to operate a R142 from E180st to Jackson Ave on the 2/5 line. :):):):):)

I made all my station stops at the 10 car marker perfectly and cleared all the GT timers smoothly on the southbound track approaching Simpson St B-).

My class took turns making about 6 station stops each all the way to Bowling Green and back. I finished off by operating from Freeman back into Unionport Yard.

Man the TSS I had today knows these trains. He made me come into one station at max power then told me exactly when to take a min brake, coast then a fullservice brake then a slight release. I swore I was going to overrun it but I followed his instructions exactly and I made the smoothest and most perfect stop right at the 10 car marker.

It was freaking funny how customers would have that look like thank god the train is here and walk up to the doors when we stopped at each station without seeing the exterior side signs displaying "No Passengers" then realizing were not in service. Priceless :D:lol::lol::lol::lol:

After today I am understanding the signals even better.

Edited by elantra06

Today was the best day I've had in schoolcar so far. I got to operate a R142 from E180st to Jackson Ave on the 2/5 line. :):):):):)

I made all my station stops at the 10 car marker perfectly and cleared all the GT timers smoothly on the southbound track approaching Simpson St B-).

My class took turns making about 6 station stops each all the way to Bowling Green and back. I finished off by operating from Freeman back into Unionport Yard.

It was freaking funny how customers would have that look like thank god the train is here and walk up to the doors when we stopped at each station without seeing the exterior side signs displaying "No Passengers" then realizing were not in service. Priceless :D:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Man my TSS today knows these trains. He made me come into one station at max power then told me exactly when to take a min brake, coast then a fullservice brake then a slight release. I swore I was going to overrun it but I followed his instructions exactly and I made the smoothest and most perfect stop right at the 10 car marker.

How was the R142 to operate?? Heard the brakes are good on them

How was the R142 to operate?? Heard the brakes are good on them

Well the consist we had today and the fact it was also raining I feel that the brakes on these are very good. Better than what I expected. You can't get to over confident though. You still have to respect them. Also we were running a light train so carrying passengers will be a totally different exprience as the train will be heavier.

Edited by elantra06

Well the consist we had today and the fact it was also raining I feel that the brakes on these are very good. Better than what I expected. You can't get to over confident though. You still have to respect them. Also we were running a light train so carrying passengers will be a totally different exprience as the train will be heavier.

Awesome man glad u had a good day, youll have to let us know what your thoughts are on the R62 compared to the R142

How much practice did you get b4 today at on the R142?? How is it to judge the train and when to brake?? sounds like you got a good grasp on it hitting the mark thats saweetttttt

did u blast into stations and hit that full service brake =P

TA-18??

You got the right attitude brother! :):):)

Awesome man glad u had a good day, youll have to let us know what your thoughts are on the R62 compared to the R142

How much practice did you get b4 today at on the R142?? How is it to judge the train and when to brake?? sounds like you got a good grasp on it hitting the mark thats saweetttttt

did u blast into stations and hit that full service brake =P

Well before today the only practice I had was about 5 mins doing safety stops last week on a R142A in mosholu yard. I really can't explain when to brake. It's more like feeling it. You will learn how your train reacts to your commands.

You don't always have to come too a complete stop in a full service brake. Once your getting up to the marker slowly release to a Min Brake and you won't even feel that jerk forward when it stops (it will also avoid the guy/gal thats standing up reading a newspaper or holding a cup of coffee from falling over once you come to a complete stop lol)). That will take pratice over time.

Edited by elantra06

Im a little curious about something. If there is only one hand thrown switch yard in the entire system, why do we who are in training for the A division have to learn about them?? I dont mind, im just wondering why I'd have to learn 'em if I'm probably never going to encounter them in my division??

Part of the duties of a CR are being qualified to throw switches. Multiple yards (207, ENY , 38 etc) as well as both A and B mainline have hand thrown switches.

I also learned how to cut out doors and isolate a car on the R142A today. It really isn't that hard to do. It seem complicated when reading it in the manuel but it is really simple. By the way those coupler adapters are freaking heavy!!!! lol

Wait until, if you're interested, you pick C Division and get miscellaneous qualified. Knuckle coupler adapters (MCB) are MUCH heavier than the Ohio Brass to H2C ones.

And it will be a nice 30 years until you have the seniority to pick a hand switching job, assuming those jobs still exist by then.

You can pick it way sooner than that. There are also both XL & XX C/Rs that are handswitching qualified and are assigned those jobs in addition to Road. I believe you can also do it for OT if you're qualified. The Yards w/ handswitching jobs are ENY, Fresh Pond, & 38 St has the head of the yard. Linden also has hand thrown switches, but C/Rs aren't assigned there.

Part of the duties of a CR are being qualified to throw switches. Multiple yards (207, ENY , 38 etc) as well as both A and B mainline have hand thrown switches.

Oh ok. I didn't know that was a job someone would be assigned to. I'm a T/O, is that something we would be assigned to as well?

Oh ok. I didn't know that was a job someone would be assigned to. I'm a T/O, is that something we would be assigned to as well?

Handswitching is a C/R job, but I believe in the absence of handswichperson at a place like Fresh Pond Yard, it would be your responsibility to align the switches for your move.

Took an R68 on a joyride from Coney to Concourse. I operated from 125 St to 167. It was great. My Instructors were pleased with my operation.

I also got to live a childhood dream. I operated over the West End from 18 Av to Stillwell Terminal.

I feel like a little kid.

Took an R68 on a joyride from Coney to Concourse. I operated from 125 St to 167. It was great. My Instructors were pleased with my operation.

I also got to live a childhood dream. I operated over the West End from 18 Av to Stillwell Terminal.

I feel like a little kid.

Ah cool..

Wait till you get a Load of those R68As......