The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

Took an R68 on a joyride from Coney to Concourse. I operated from 125 St to 167. It was great. My Instructors were pleased with my operation.

I also got to live a childhood dream. I operated over the West End from 18 Av to Stillwell Terminal.

I feel like a little kid.

Ahhh nice mang sounds like fun...how are the brakes on the 68?? I thought I heard sum1 b4 saying they weren't ez to adapt too

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took an R68 on a joyride from Coney to Concourse. I operated from 125 St to 167. It was great. My Instructors were pleased with my operation.

I also got to live a childhood dream. I operated over the West End from 18 Av to Stillwell Terminal.

I feel like a little kid.

I think I heard you TSS calling Dekalb tower for a line up behind some ball ( I can't remember now) to go over the Brighton line, but since there was a GO in effect your TSS asked for a 4th ave or westend lineup. This was around 1:30 Pm. South Motor 25XX something.

I think I heard you TSS calling Dekalb tower for a line up behind some ball ( I can't remember now) to go over the Brighton line, but since there was a GO in effect your TSS asked for a 4th ave or westend lineup. This was around 1:30 Pm. South Motor 25XX something.

Correct.

I saw that schoolcar north of 25 Avenue on the West End.

If it was going towards Coney, that was me at the helm.

Today was good too. Took an R68A from Concourse to Euclid; I piloted into the relay (where the 10 car marker is nowhere to be found, but there is a 4 car one. Go figure). Overshot my first station stop, but got the hang of it and was 9/10 the rest of the day on them.

The R68As have the best Dynamic brakes in the system if you ask me but the friction stinks. You grab a good break and Hold it the train will retard... DO NOT FAN those brakes you keep doing that and the dynamic will drop out and the friction will take longer..........

Next thing you know you got cars out....

Well tommorrow my class will be pretty much done with with familiarization of the R142/R142A tommorrow. Next week we move on to the introduction of the R62/R62A.

62's are actually really cool. I didn't think I'd like them at first, but they're really not so bad at all

Ya dont have to like em..

Just learn to operate em...

When I was in School car and some would favor a train like my class loved the R46 the instructor would say a train is a train.

Don't worry, guys. I know I am required to know how to operate whatever is assigned to me, personal preferences nonwithstanding. It's my job, not a hobby.

We did cuts and adds on the 160s yesterday. Those barrier spring compartments are a pain in the ass.

So did you A div. school car T/Os get to operate the R62s in New Lots Yard yet? Oh man, that is going to be an "interesting" day, to put it mildly. The 62s in 240 St. Yard, Corona Yard, and New Lots Yard might all look the exact same, but you will notice a major difference once you start operating them.

So did you A div. school car T/Os get to operate the R62s in New Lots Yard yet? Oh man, that is going to be an "interesting" day, to put it mildly. The 62s in 240 St. Yard, Corona Yard, and New Lots Yard might all look the exact same, but you will notice a major difference once you start operating them.

Donald? Is that you?

So is everyone in your school car classes still there? Anyone quit or fail the signal exam?

I remember a banned poster on this forum who was obsessed with talking about the signal exam. And he's thick enough to not listen when we told him that the signal exam isn't even until towards the END of school car. youngblaze, I think you hit the nail on the head. At least "Train Fan" doesn't have access to The Crew Room......

Hows the Crew Room action in Woodlawn "Donald"?????