The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

You say "must be critiqued"? These days that word is mostly used in a negative sense. People are going to think you are looking to detrimentally review or analyze them regardless of the quality of their performance.

In TA Land, it's not necessarily like that. The critiquing is what Dave described, and unfortunately some crews give supervision a hard time while they're trying to do their jobs the same way we're trying to do ours. You should learn some good tips from the different TSSs that ride you when you come out.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday, we took an R42 for a joyrude, and ping-ponged between Broad St and Parsons/Archer. I got to operate over the Willy B, which was a good and fun experience. Handled the downgrade timers without any issues. Also got sone tips from my TSSs, and my last few stops were dead-on.

So far, the SMEEs are my favorite to operate.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Ny Trucker" data-cid="631238" data-time="1357940744"><p>

First yard practical and mid term is finally over with. next week we start yard posting and after that we take the signal exam and practical. Its moving by fast</p></blockquote>

Congrats. Let us know how Yard Posting goes.

Being critiqued is not a bad thing it just shows management that the employee been talked too about various topics. I have to say its real simple with me. If I catch you doing something I'm going to talk to you. If you take my verbal re instruction it ok learn from it. However you give me a hard time then I'll write the person up and let labor relations deal with it.

Went for a joyride today. Crossed off my Bucket List: operating a R32.

I'm not gonna lie, I felt like a little kid (no, I didn't foam all over the cab). I did 11 stops. 8 were on the mark, 2 were short by about 6", and 1 had the marker in my window half-way. 

Now that I've operated all of the B Division trains, I can say I like the R32 the best.

More cut-and-add practice tomorrow, as well as troubleshooting. 

Went for a joyride today. Crossed off my Bucket List: operating a R32.

I'm not gonna lie, I felt like a little kid (no, I didn't foam all over the cab). I did 11 stops. 8 were on the mark, 2 were short by about 6", and 1 had the marker in my window half-way. 

Now that I've operated all of the B Division trains, I can say I like the R32 the best.

More cut-and-add practice tomorrow, as well as troubleshooting. 

R32>R42...

In time you will get to believe this!

Can someone clarify something for me? Do you get vacation time during your first year while on probation or does the 2 week vacation time begin after you complete probation ? Thanks in advance

What was your start date?

You earn one day of vacation time for each full month (full month = worked from the 15th on) worked in a year, applied to the following year.

In other words, an employee who starts July 1 of 2012 will have earned SIX vacation days in 2013, which were picked at the end of 2012, or, if they're still in training, at the end of training in early 2013.

For a new employee to get the full two weeks vacation for a given year, you must have worked at least 10 months the previous year.

Thanks for the info. So, essentially, if I start January 28th, I will not have vacation, only RDO's until next year.. Or if I understand correctly, since I will have at that point completed 10 months, I will be able to pick a vacation at the end of 2013?

Are all vacations, picked in advance at the end of year or do you do vacation picks every 6 months like job picks?

Did troubleshooting today on the R68s. Our TSSs sabotaged the trains (for lack of a better term) while we were operating; obviously everything was done safely. We felt what it was like when the B2 dropped, the EBV was pulled amongst other things. 

Also did R68 cuts and adds; I finally got a good cut on the R68.

Simulator tomorrow. 

Thanks for the info. So, essentially, if I start January 28th, I will not have vacation, only RDO's until next year.. Or if I understand correctly, since I will have at that point completed 10 months, I will be able to pick a vacation at the end of 2013?

Are all vacations, picked in advance at the end of year or do you do vacation picks every 6 months like job picks?

All vacation days/weeks are picked towards the end of the year. One of the negative things about this is that if you are taking a vacation in the second half of the year, you have to have it planned out WELL in advance, and you won't know for sure what your RDOs will be for your second picked job yet.

Don't worry, you'll pick up PLENTY of OTO when you're XX after training. 8 hours of OTO = 1 vacation day in your bank, which can be used immediately.

You will have nothing for 2013, but at the end of 2013 you will pick two weeks vacation for 2014.

Simulator today. Signals and simulating. Nothing major.

First Yard Practical tomorrow at Coney. Here goes nothing.

"You have got to learn WHY things work on a Starship." -Admiral James T. Kirk
Edited by mediccjh

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="mediccjh" data-cid="633764" data-time="1358459746"><p>

<br />

<span style='font-family: verdana, geneva, sans-serif'>Simulator today. Signals and simulating. Nothing major.</span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: verdana, geneva, sans-serif'>First Yard Practical tomorrow at Coney. Here goes nothing.</span><br />

<br />

<pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>

"You have got to learn WHY things work on a Starship." -Admiral James T. Kirk</pre></p></blockquote> Good Luck today, I'm sure you'll do fine.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="mediccjh" data-cid="633764" data-time="1358459746"><p>

<br />

<span style='font-family: verdana, geneva, sans-serif'>Simulator today. Signals and simulating. Nothing major.</span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: verdana, geneva, sans-serif'>First Yard Practical tomorrow at Coney. Here goes nothing.</span><br />

<br />

<pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>

"You have got to learn WHY things work on a Starship." -Admiral James T. Kirk</pre></p></blockquote>

Good luck, you guys will do great!!

Today was troubleshooting SMEEs at 207 St Yard. Learned some tricks.

More troubleshooting, and Yard Familiarization at 38 St tomorrow. 

Ah 38th Street Yd nice place in the Middle of nowhere! I wonder if DeLuca will still be on duty?

If he is get to KNOW his voice very well! If you working late PMS or Midnight's yer gonna hear him if you are anywhere in that area...  :)