The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No no no no....the brass took care of it. They issued us a new announcement script to tell the passengers to stay off the tracks and behind the yellow line. Once we inform the customers that these acts are dangerous, we won't have any more 12-9s....

Oh aha! yeah that will fix that problem in no time. Next!

We're doing Night Road Operations; last night we took an R46 up and down the (A). It made me its bitch. My stopping and braking was atrocious; I had a very off day. 

Tonight we'll be on the (B) and (D) from Concourse to Coney. Hopefully the SMEEs will be nice to me. 

We're doing Night Road Operations; last night we took an R46 up and down the (A). It made me its bitch. My stopping and braking was atrocious; I had a very off day. 

Tonight we'll be on the (B) and (D) from Concourse to Coney. Hopefully the SMEEs will be nice to me. 

Did you lay up a train at pitkin from Lefferts? If so my school car classmate is in your class. A. Yang I picked him up at Euclid last night around 3am

Pitkin R46's S**ks B**ls...

Oh that must've been your OOS (A) that came in across from my (C) last night at 59 St

Headed to 2nd night of road posting on midnight shift. I cant lie, last night was TOUGH! My eyes started to get extremely heavy on the last leg of my last trip back to 241st on the 2. Luckily my trainer took over once we got to 149th/3rd ave. Feel pretty good operating on 142s. Still need some work, but i think im doing pretty well.

Back on 62s today out of 242nd st/VC. Hopefully my operation tonight is good as well

Oh that must've been your OOS (A) that came in across from my (C) last night at 59 St

That was us, Snowblock. If it was S/B, I was playing Conductor. 

Last night we took the R68A from Bedford Park to Coney. My operation was a little better; however, I was still stopping about 2 feet short. My last 2 stops though, I had my 'Ah-ha!' moment, and made good, fast stops at 9 St and Union St.

Starting at Coney tonight via the (F). We may get a 46, which is what I need practice on. 

The TSS today told us we would all be good at moving the train. Stopping, however, will be something that requires a little bit of "finesse".

I see, Medic, this holds true. What do the brakes feel like on the R32's, 42's & 68's vs. the 143's & 160's? And what techniques have you developed, so far, in the process of learning to successfully stop those trains?

Had a scare today at Times Square on the 7. Threw my reverser forward, charged up, did my brake tests and i had the lineup. Released the brakes and wrapped the master controller....after a brief pause(maybe a second) the train lurched back! Luckily my reflex was quick and pulled a full service. Not sure how it happened, but somehow the reverser drum was off centered and the reverser key had come loose after i threw it forward. A RCI and TSS raced to the train. 10 mins later they fixed it. The fact that it lurched back...and we were in a terminal had me shook!!!

The TSS today told us we would all be good at moving the train. Stopping, however, will be something that requires a little bit of "finesse".

I see, Medic, this holds true. What do the brakes feel like on the R32's, 42's & 68's vs. the 143's & 160's? And what techniques have you developed, so far, in the process of learning to successfully stop those trains?

You will learn it all in Schoolcar. 

are you in revenue service or out of service when you do that?

Right now, Not In Service. We start Road Posting in a couple of weeks. 

Had a scare today at Times Square on the 7. Threw my reverser forward, charged up, did my brake tests and i had the lineup. Released the brakes and wrapped the master controller....after a brief pause(maybe a second) the train lurched back! Luckily my reflex was quick and pulled a full service. Not sure how it happened, but somehow the reverser drum was off centered and the reverser key had come loose after i threw it forward. A RCI and TSS raced to the train. 10 mins later they fixed it. The fact that it lurched back...and we were in a terminal had me shook!!!

That'd make me shake also.

Did a trip from Coney to Bedford Park to WTC to Bedford Park back to Coney last night on the R68. My TSS told me to experiment with the braking, and I did. I have the idea down. I think I did better last night, so it's just gonna require practice, practice, practice. 

Did a trip from Coney to Bedford Park to WTC to Bedford Park back to Coney last night on the R68. My TSS told me to experiment with the braking, and I did. I have the idea down. I think I did better last night, so it's just gonna require practice, practice, practice.

Yup, practice will make you better!! During road ops i over ran a sta, i was inches away from hitting 2 signals and some nights my braking was terrible. But you will learn from it all! You'll see a big difference as the weeks pass, especially when you get to road posting!!