The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I worked my first G.O. job today on the 6. Was a pretty easy day. Was supposed to make three trips parkchester to the bridge, but due to the G.O i made three trips138/third ave to the bridge and one trip parkchester to the bridge.

For some reason i thought i had a 10:15 report at parkchester this morning, so im at home taking my time(i live 2 blocks away from Parkchester station). Something told me to check the IVR before i left the house at 9:30..and when i called i heard "report to 177th st parkchester at 0953". Luckily i was close, but it was a reminder to me to check the ivr the day before again to make sure!

Edited by beneka

Worked the (J) last night. The timers are a pain in the ass.

Cypress Hills is a pain in the ass.

Broadway Junction is a pain in the ass.

Marcy N/B is a pain in the ass.

Manhattan is a pain in the ass.

Worked the (B) today, and it was interesting. Started at 145, no issues on my R68 going to Brighton. Got a 68A on the way back north, and it kicked my ass. Good thing we had to dump and return at Prospect Park due to the power loss (anyone know what that was about?)

My (eventual) return trip to the Bronx, the 68A was giving me issues again. My M/M gave me a break from 72 to 125, and then all of a sudden, I made it my bitch. Go figure.

On the (N) tomorrow.

Saw TSS Welsh-El and Flynn at Parkchester this morning. Im guessing you guys were there today as well @Kevinetics. Congrats at passing the practical!

Thanks beneka!!! Yeah, we were there. I think I saw you give dap to Flynn. Did relays until 9:40 then switching and yard moves for the rest of the day.

Edited by kevinetics

Happy to say everyone passed the midterm. We got our yard posting papers. PM's for the rest of the week.

Medic, my ex (she's a T/O) says the N timers annoy her to no end.

(N) timers don't bother me. The ones on the (J) SUCK!!!

Did the (B) today. A trip with a 68, and one with a 68A. Second time around, I made that 68A my bitch.

Pitkin Yard tomorrow at 5am. Which means I have to be on the platform at Bay Pkwy at 3a.

I hate AMs!!!!

Posted on the (C) today.

GAWD I LOVE OPERATING THE R32s!!!!!

3 mo days of road ops, then 2nd yard practical, then we go off to post on the road.

Watch your handbrakes on the Yard Practical.

Enjoy the Road Ops. Learn to finesse your stops there. 

Road posting will be a blast, as long as you have the right trainers. I've had a very positive experience so far.

Posted on the (C) today.

Road posting will be a blast, as long as you have the right trainers. I've had a very positive experience so far.

Thanks for the advice, will do.

Posted on the (C) today.

These salty dogs will break you in...

We should have Polywog cards like the Navy; with road posting being like Wog Day except it lasts for however long posting is.

Posted on the (C) today.

B Div trains> A Div trains  :)

Worked the (D) today. The R68 is my second favorite train to operate.

On the (M) out of Continental tomorrow morning. 2 more days of Road Posting.

Assuming I pass my Final Written and Practical, we'll be released to the hounds in exactly 2 weeks.

Hey now... Be nice to our little trains!

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

Been to the "Land of Little trains" started there in 2001.. Needed to step up in car class!

Operated those Slants, R40 Mods, R44's ,R38's and C I rebuilds before they dumped them!

Edited by RTOMan

Posted on the (M) today; was late due to whatever happened on 6 Av this morning. Had a blast.

Tomorrow is my last day Road Posting; fitting that it's on the (A).

Hard to believe that we'll be released to the wolves in 2 weeks. 

Posted on the (M) today; was late due to whatever happened on 6 Av this morning. Had a blast.

Tomorrow is my last day Road Posting; fitting that it's on the (A).

Hard to believe that we'll be released to the wolves in 2 weeks. 

You will do fine!  :)

finally operated the dreaded R68 on our road trip yesterday. TSS had me flying into a downgrade station at 35mph and hit a hard break 1/4 the way in. but i made the stop! you just gotta get it under control so you can release the brake to the 10 car marker

Edited by LexAveExp5

After working the (A) yesterday, I can say that all of my Road Posting is complete. It is very surreal that Schoolcar is almost over.

Thank you to all the Motormen who took me on as a student, and helped me improve my operatoin.

Thank you to all the Conductors who were patient with me, and (most importantly) didn't pull the cord on me.

Written Final on Monday.

finally operated the dreaded R68 on our road trip yesterday. TSS had me flying into a downgrade station at 35mph and hit a hard break 1/4 the way in. but i made the stop! you just gotta get it under control so you can release the brake to the 10 car marker

It's not the R68 you have to worry about; it's the R68A. Just feel for the sweet spot on the brake handle right near the snowbrake.

Edited by mediccjh

After working the (A) yesterday, I can say that all of my Road Posting is complete. It is very surreal that Schoolcar is almost over.

Thank you to all the Motormen who took me on as a student, and helped me improve my operatoin.

Thank you to all the Conductors who were patient with me, and (most importantly) didn't pull the cord on me.

Written Final on Monday.

It's not the R68 you have to worry about; it's the R68A. Just feel for the sweet spot on the brake handle right near the snowbrake.

Good luck on your Final & Road Practical Medic. Stay safe out there.