The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

Last day of Schoolcar today. Did the Project Straight Talk, and went to 34 St to get our EED keys.

Can't believe it's over. 6 months went by fast; seems like just yesterday that we were crammed into the room at 130 Livingston.

Thank you to all the Motormen who took us under their wings during our Yard and Road Postings.

Thank you to all of the Conductors for being patient with our slow assess, and not pulling the cord on us.

Most importantly, thank you to our Motor Instructors. You took a rag-tag group of know-nothings, and turned them into Train Operators. It was not easy, and there were some frustrating and aggravating times, but it was a blast, and the reward was definitely worth it.

First assignment tomorrow: (C) out of 168 St.

To TB-29, "Good job."

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got into the 5/20 class, can anyone speak about the footwear? I understand there's a choice between 2-3 types? Any POV's are welcomed...

Regardless of the type you get I HIGHLY recommend getting the custom Dr Scholls inserts. Find a store that has the machine (like Walgreens, Walmart, CVS). Invest in your feet, it will be the best money spent. And if for some crazy reason they don't work, save the package and receipt, Dr Scholls will refund you.

Regardless of the type you get I HIGHLY recommend getting the custom Dr Scholls inserts. Find a store that has the machine (like Walgreens, Walmart, CVS). Invest in your feet, it will be the best money spent. And if for some crazy reason they don't work, save the package and receipt, Dr Scholls will refund you.

Good tip, because the shoes they issue you suck, and you can be prone to getting heal spur's I suffered from a heal spur for almost 1 year after working in TA So make sure your feets are comfy because there is a lot of walking in this job.

Thats what i use for my Size 14 TripleE's.. They are worth every penny...

Thanks for sharing your povs @ the footwear.  As TO we have to carry x amount of hand tools, supplies, etc...Any thoughts about a backpack?

im not a t/o but i've seen some of them carry a toolbag or a backpack  do as it pleases you...

Edited by BreeddekalbL

Last day of Schoolcar today. Did the Project Straight Talk, and went to 34 St to get our EED keys.

Can't believe it's over. 6 months went by fast; seems like just yesterday that we were crammed into the room at 130 Livingston.

Thank you to all the Motormen who took us under their wings during our Yard and Road Postings.

Thank you to all of the Conductors for being patient with our slow assess, and not pulling the cord on us.

Most importantly, thank you to our Motor Instructors. You took a rag-tag group of know-nothings, and turned them into Train Operators. It was not easy, and there were some frustrating and aggravating times, but it was a blast, and the reward was definitely worth it.

First assignment tomorrow: (C) out of 168 St.

To TB-29, "Good job."

Awesome! Congrats! I spoke to you before. Im the guy from Macungie. I start SchoolCar on Monday!

TA-24...about to begin our 2nd week of PM Road-Ops. We have our Final Yard Practical in a week and a half then off to Road Posting for 3 weeks. Oh Yeah!!!

p.s.

R-62 Kawasaki should be reefed. Those brakes really do have a mind of their own and all of my class can control a train. We've all had issues during the first couple of stations adjusting to them but we tame them & then they're off doing the next pain in the ass thing... Whatev's as long as we make good station stops it's all gravy.

Spent the 1st day filling out paperwork and listening to HR talk. Today's hr session had some station agents but mostly new T/O's btw 60-70 i think.

Having problems creating my i-vault account ..."One or more of the values provided are not correct." Has anyone else had same issues?

Good luck. Did you figure out the commuting issues?

For now I'm just staying in the city M-F, but found a couple PA residents in my class and we are trying to make arrangements to carpool. Thanks! How's life after schoolcar?

I am done road posting, I can honestly say that I imrpoved my operation a lot thanks to all those nice instructors that took me as a student.  I will make sure I pay it forward when is my turn down the line.   Final exam is this week then road practical next week and we will be released to the A division crew office's mercy.

I am done road posting, I can honestly say that I imrpoved my operation a lot thanks to all those nice instructors that took me as a student.  I will make sure I pay it forward when is my turn down the line.   Final exam is this week then road practical next week and we will be released to the A division crew office's mercy.

Crew Office and Mercy should not be in the same sentence if you ask some... ;)

TA-23?

Best wishes - I know you'll do fine...

may class update: 1st 3 days were HR/union workshops on policies, rules, regulations, benefits, and division pick. i picked the a division. tmo we get our footwear and other training material. i was assigned t28... is that my class name/#?

made some new buds. i got a good feeling...

may class update: 1st 3 days were HR/union workshops on policies, rules, regulations, benefits, and division pick. i picked the a division. tmo we get our footwear and other training material. i was assigned t28... is that my class name/#?

made some new buds. i got a good feeling...

Yes, TA-28 is our class name. Can't wait to actually start some real training.