The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

Today we reported to Coney Island Yard for the first day of the real stuff (for lack of a better term).

We went over basic signals, and built up from there, discussing home balls, dwarves, and other stuff.

We got Track Qualified; we walked the tracks and up onto the El from the Yard Lead.

Also took a tour of the Yard and went out on the Veranda on the Yard Tower. Nice view during the day.

Tomorrow we go to 130 Livingston and pretend operate a la Simulator.

How was the simulator Meddic??

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simulator was fun; we didn't get a lot of time in it since we spent a majority of the day going over signals, switches, and track scenarios. The TSSs at the Simulator were great; they went over all the signals with us.

I managed, after pulling into the station, to pull the lever too far back and put the train in BIE instead of full service. Oops.

I read the signal pamphlet every night, 1/2 hour minimum. As we see them in class, it will become muscle memory.

We have a good group; we help each other out with things, and are laid back. Our TSSs are great. We're back at Coney tomorrow.

I managed, after pulling into the station, to pull the lever too far back and put the train in BIE instead of full service. Oops.

Ah Rookie Dump..... :)

Wow...sucks they failed. @Rtoman, In your opinion, once you studied the book everyday, was the test still as difficult as it seems like in the beginning? I'm sure that as I continue to study it will come naturally to me but I was just curious as to what you thought

You study it every day it will help it helped us a lot we was ready for the test.Still its human nature to be a bit nervous the day of it though since your JOB will depend on getting 100%...

Simulator was fun; we didn't get a lot of time in it since we spent a majority of the day going over signals, switches, and track scenarios. The TSSs at the Simulator were great; they went over all the signals with us.

I read the signal pamphlet every night, 1/2 hour minimum. As we see them in class, it will become muscle memory.

We have a good group; we help each other out with things, and are laid back. Our TSSs are great. We're back at Coney tomorrow.

Ill be looking out for you folks when you reach the Field..

If it's the TSS Perez I'm thinking of, he's a cool guy, even though he rode me even more than Pelham Bay Dave.......I didn't know he went to schoolcar though. You'll learn a lot from him.

I know it's been said already, but it can't be stressed enough. KNOW YOUR SIGNALS. And remember that there are more types of signals than just the lights. There are fixed signs, movable flagging signals, as well as AUDIBLE signals. You know what LONG SHORT LONG SHORT on the horn means? Do you know what up and down with a red lantern means?

About how many different signals are there to learn?? Also when u take the signal test how many questions is it for those who took it can remember...from the new guys in schoolcar that got the guide how difficult do the signals look to learn and gl to all sounds like a good group of guys and TSS

Don't worry you'll spend LOTS of time reciting the signals and getting popped-quizzed on them. There's the movable signals (about 5 of those), the audible signals (about 10), fixed signals (a whole bunch), interlocking signals (even more), timers (the really tricky part - STUDY THESE CLOSELY!!!), and signs (a whole bunch, but these are the easiest once you actually learn them). When you take the test, they want DEFINITIONS. If they show you a sign that says

S

T

O

P

they don't want you to write "this signal means stop the train at the sign". They want you to write "a fixed signal found at the entrance to maintenance facilities and crosswalks in yards. Train Operators must stop the train and the proceed in accordance with special instructions"

Don't worry you'll spend LOTS of time reciting the signals and getting popped-quizzed on them. There's the movable signals (about 5 of those), the audible signals (about 10), fixed signals (a whole bunch), interlocking signals (even more), timers (the really tricky part - STUDY THESE CLOSELY!!!), and signs (a whole bunch, but these are the easiest once you actually learn them). When you take the test, they want DEFINITIONS. If they show you a sign that says

S

T

O

P

they don't want you to write "this signal means stop the train at the sign". They want you to write "a fixed signal found at the entrance to maintenance facilities and crosswalks in yards. Train Operators must stop the train and the proceed in accordance with special instructions"

Wow...full definitions. Ok, that's good to know. I've memorized a few so far, but I will continue to drill 'em into my head.

I must say, we've been(the T/O's I started with and the ones in my direct class) have been blessed as far as the TSS's we've met so far. Yesterday my class met, in my opinion so far, the coolest TSS..Perez. The guy had jokes for days, and was so down to earth, but was serious about us learning our stuff. One of those guys you just felt really comfortable around. From the start they were all cool. And then today we met our main Tss's, Cox and E.t, both very interested in teaching us and getting us prepared to pass this training course and become successful T/O's. We also met Quinones today. really cool guys. Idk if all TSS's are as helpful and cool as they all have been, but I surely do hope so!

TSS Perez was my school car TSS for C/R. Nice guy.

There's no rats in the tunnel, there rats at the stations. The tunnel walk is to teach you how to walk in the dark tunnel with road bed debri such as dead rails, switches, garbage ect..also finding where you can stand as trains go by you. Then you learn how to use the emergency exits. Thats the purpose of the tunnel walk. Eveything they do with you in school car is for a reason.

Can someone kindly tell me...what do I wear the first day of training...the notice says blue pants and shirt...do we get uniforms to wear the rest of training. Just so happens I don't own blue pants or shirt, so I have to buy them.just wondering if I should buy more than one set if I have to wear it throughout training.money is tight, so I don't want to buy clothes I won't need..thanks guys

Can someone kindly tell me...what do I wear the first day of training...the notice says blue pants and shirt...do we get uniforms to wear the rest of training. Just so happens I don't own blue pants or shirt, so I have to buy them.just wondering if I should buy more than one set if I have to wear it throughout training.money is tight, so I don't want to buy clothes I won't need..thanks guys

black pants are ok too. You will be wearing them for a few weeks until your uniform comes. Unless of course they screw up your sizes and you have to send stuff back for an exchange. Then you will be wearing them longer. I would buy 2 pairs of each. A word of advice, know all your clothing sizes before they measure you. Don't let them try to talk you into getting a size that you know is not going to fit you.

Don't wear jeans or khaki colored pants. Dickies are good or regular black/blue slacks. You can wear boots or shoes, make sure they're black. I saw a lot of people show up in suits and ties, which is cool and acceptable, but not necessary.