The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What, you mean the best part wasn't getting to be on a real life R110B?????

Wasn't my first time. I road on it before when they were testing them out years ago. I also road on the ones they were testing out on the 2/5 lines as well.

For anyone that don't know the R110B were basically the prototypes for the R160's we see today.

Edited by elantra06

What, you mean the best part wasn't getting to be on a real life R110B?????

It was cool to be on the actual prototype train, but the whole evacuation in the pitch black dark with smoke and the loud sound effects was the worst part I meant. After watching all those videos in the class, that evac scene seemed all too real to me!

It was cool to be on the actual prototype train, but the whole evacuation in the pitch black dark with smoke and the loud sound effects was the worst part I meant. After watching all those videos in the class, that evac scene seemed all too real to me!

And that was the point.

The class was EXCELLENT. The Instructor did a great job, and I think everyone had a very sobering experience in regards to fire, and overall safety on the job. He told some stories that, in my opinion, shook some people to the core, based on my observation of reaction from the class. Very knowledgeable about the topics, and the evacuation simulation was great.

And that was the point.

The class was EXCELLENT. The Instructor did a great job, and I think everyone had a very sobering experience in regards to fire, and overall safety on the job. He told some stories that, in my opinion, shook some people to the core, based on my observation of reaction from the class. Very knowledgeable about the topics, and the evacuation simulation was great.

I agree, the course was great...they were both really really knowledgeable and made the course very interesting. All the videos and the real life evac scenario was definitely eye opening. I went home and made some changes right away!

Oh yes, the 3rd rail jumpers. Those are fun. When I did it, I had to do it much longer than everyone in my class because, right when it was my turn, the train dumped. So I had to hold it until the train could re-charge.

What is third rail jumping? What are they making you do?

This is third rail jumping:

Third rail jumper cables are used to give 600v to a train whose shoe is gapped so it isn't getting power. One end gets held on the shoe and the other end against the third rail. There's no feeling like holding those cables in your hands (but they come with gloves that are stamped GOOD FOR 700V) while that kind of electricity is flowing through them!....especially if it starts arcing! Once you have it flowing, the train can charge and you SLOWLY move along with it until the shoe reaches the third rail

Edited by PATCOman

Hhmm this thread is most definately at least in the top ten for me since joining the forum. Hugely insightful for anyone waiting in the wings and possibly even current employees. I suggest anyone tuning in from the last page and comment go back and read the entire thread from the very START, lots of good comments here.

Aspartame, the main sweetener in just about ALL diet or low calorie drinks HAS been linked to several neurological deseases, memory loss, makes you CRAVE even more carbohydrates thus making it harder to control diabetes, and thats only among other things. So stay away from diet soda and try to drink purified water if your'e looking to pass a medical with no fuss.Tap water/Soda is heavily laced with fluoride, another nurological toxin used by nazis to dum their camp victims down and now it's delibrately fed to people in their tap water to supposedly keep cavities in check, which is BS of course. There are lists of purified water all over the web that contain low doses or no aspartame in them at all. Purified water filters all the minerals in the water your body needs, so a mineral supplement is not a bad idea to drink.

I don't mean to hijack the thread with this stuff but since Donald (an admitted diabetic) thought it was perfectly Ok to pal around with a 2 liter diet soda and a giant bag full of food everyday (diet soda and lots of food go hand in hand), I couldnt help but to mention it.

Yep in CCYd.....

The only one in the system, according to my Instructor today. We got to see it in person today, and learned how to do cuts and adds on the R68As.

The ride home was interesting. Signal problems at 14th and 8th brought the A and E downstairs at W 4 St, F via D on the West End to Manhattan, and my D went Express on the West End (haven't had a ride like that on the El since I was a kid).

The only one in the system, according to my Instructor today. We got to see it in person today, and learned how to do cuts and adds on the R68As.

The ride home was interesting. Signal problems at 14th and 8th brought the A and E downstairs at W 4 St, F via D on the West End to Manhattan, and my D went Express on the West End (haven't had a ride like that on the El since I was a kid).

Dont worry in time you will have that kind of fun!!!! :):):):):):)

I also learned how to cut out doors and isolate a car on the R142A today. It really isn't that hard to do. It seem complicated when reading it in the manuel but it is really simple. By the way those coupler adapters are freaking heavy!!!! lol

Good to hear! Tech Trains in my experience are usually the easiest to cut out.

Now that being said.... ;)

Everything seems"easy" under perfect conditions(Schoolcar) sometimes during the rush hour yer train is packed and RCC is screaming at you to get that train moving can unnerve some..

Just throwing it out there... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just don't listen to anything Donald said (here or in any other threads). He got banned for good reason. Strangely, I haven't seen him at work since he got banned, so maybe he moved on to the next agency to terrorize?

Good to hear! Tech Trains in my experience are usually the easiest to cut out.

Now that being said.... ;)

Everything seems"easy" under perfect conditions(Schoolcar) sometimes during the rush hour yer train is packed and RCC is screaming at you to get that train moving can unnerve some..

Just throwing it out there... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seems alot of the things you guys do on schoolcar and on the road is very hands on and sensitive. With that said, are there things one can begin to familiarize themselves with before starting schoolcar that would help?

Signals maybe? But since alot of it maybe outdated or redefined once training begins it's not too relevant.

Maybe a few warnings or things you may have found out on your own? Thanks.

In my experience, most of the procedures you learn in school car will be completely different in the real world. Nothing like having to troubleshoot a door problem when you have a crowded train staring at you, instead of just you classmates.

Let schoolcar teach you everything. Do NOT start using outside sources (especially not this forum) to start studying on your own, as OUR experiences aren't what you are going to get tested on. Your instructors will assume you know NOTHING about railroading on day 1, so keep it that way.